Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Sockington posted:

Option 1: You miss your tiny "punch" (screw driver with plastic handle the size of a pencil) and smack your hand with your "hammer" (back end of the hatchet)

Option 2:You shatter the plastic handle and get the joy of trying to remove shards of plastic from your eyes (sweet safety glasses while using the proper tools).

:ohdear:

yeah but you look waaay cooler. By the way, that's an actual punch I'm using, not a screwdriver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

bull3964 posted:

Nope, that's the one for the AC idler pully, I need the one off the alternator.

Whats obnoxious is that in this diagram you can see the part but its not labeled:
http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g11/type_17/engine_electronic/alternator/illustration_1/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

8ender posted:

Whats obnoxious is that in this diagram you can see the part but its not labeled:
http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g11/type_17/engine_electronic/alternator/illustration_1/

Yeah, theres a similar diagram at subaruparts. You can see the part, but it isn't labeled. They call it out as a different figure, but I can't find that figure.

Watch it be something you can't buy by itself and you have to buy the whole bracket. Oh well, I'm sure the bolt I have in there is perfectly fine aside from it being too short to fully relieve tension on the alternator without undoing it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 29, 2009

ftreno
Sep 26, 2007
No, not really.
My wife is thinking of buying a 2009/2010 new (dealer) WRX STI. Any protips here? It's probably more car than she needs, but from what I've read in the forum we won't have many maintenance issues and the car should hold together for the next 10 years pretty well. It's for city driving, btw. Also, has anyone with these models gotten an aftermarket GPS put in?

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

ftreno posted:

My wife is thinking of buying a 2009/2010 new (dealer) WRX STI. Any protips here? It's probably more car than she needs, but from what I've read in the forum we won't have many maintenance issues and the car should hold together for the next 10 years pretty well. It's for city driving, btw. Also, has anyone with these models gotten an aftermarket GPS put in?

If you're doing a lot of city driving I would suggest a WRX with an automatic transmission. The STi is only available in six-speed manual...it's a fantastic transmission but if you don't want to be shifting every 2 seconds the auto is the way to go.

dayman fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 29, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I would never recommend a WRX with an auto, but I think the current WRX is a much better value than the STI right now. There just isn't that much of a performance difference.

The STI looks so loving awesome in white, though.

edit: Well, also, you can't get an auto WRX, it's the 2.5GT with the motor from the 2008 WRX. It is probably lame. Don't get it.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 29, 2009

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

warwick5s posted:

I would never recommend a WRX with an auto, but I think the current WRX is a much better value than the STI right now. There just isn't that much of a performance difference.

The STI looks so loving awesome in white, though.

Yeah, the STi needs at least 30 more hp to make it worthwhile over slightly tuning a WRX. As far as auto vs. manual, we need more information. How much of an enthusiast is your wife? Personally I don't mind rowing through gears from stop light to stop light, but that kind of thing gets old for a lot of people.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

dayman posted:

Yeah, the STi needs at least 30 more hp to make it worthwhile over slightly tuning a WRX. As far as auto vs. manual, we need more information. How much of an enthusiast is your wife? Personally I don't mind rowing through gears from stop light to stop light, but that kind of thing gets old for a lot of people.
The auto in the WRX isn't very good. If you're going to get the auto, just get a regular Impreza.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
2 quick questions about my '04 impreza wagon

1) what spark plugs would you guys reccomend for the stock engine?

2) I got my timing and accessory belts changed several months back. The problem I have been having si when I turn on my vents/ac/etc I will get what I can best describe as a "chirp". I can both hear and feel it when it happens and it doesnt happen constantly, it will just happen at random times. Thoughs on what it could be/how to fix it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

dayman posted:

The nice thing about the STI is the diffs. Upgrading the diffs in WRX to that level will cost more than an STI, I think.
On the track, on my LGT the open front diff (and to some extent the slow VLSDs) really make themselves felt.
If you're not tracking or auto-crossing, then yes.

I think my head-gasket is going at 72k mi. :(

ftreno
Sep 26, 2007
No, not really.

dayman posted:

OK, a bit of a 'doh' here but she's actually getting the WRX, not the STI, and she wants it in manual, and she doesn't mind cycling through gears. That said, I think that, for the value, we're getting an amazing car. Almost enough to make me want to learn manual (on someone else's shitbucket, not our sweet rally car).

White or dark gray, no question.

This'll be the first new car we've ever bought, any more tips for us? Thanks for all the replies.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hey, my car wants to torture me this week.

Pulled out of the parking lot at the office this evening to be greeted by a rhythmic clunking sound mostly with a sharp right turn, and a little bit with a sharp left turn. No noise at all when the car is straight.

First instinct says CV joint, but it's not a clicking. It's more of a tapping. It's as if someone is in my wheel well and hitting it. It also doesn't just happen at low speeds, it happens at higher speeds too when the wheel gets more than a few degrees off axis.

A few months ago, I was getting a squeal with a sharp right turn, almost like a rubbing sound. But after I pulled the rotor off and re-assembled it went away.

Now, the CV boots look pristine. There are no signs of cracks anywhere and no signs of grease being flung out in the surrounding area.

Any ideas? If it helps, it was colder today than it has been for awhile.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Do you hear a "car in spokes sound" on deceleration? Is it your center diff...again...?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RealKyleH posted:

Do you hear a "car in spokes sound" on deceleration? Is it your center diff...again...?

No, it's coming from the front left corner. It doesn't matter if it's deceleration or acceleration. Throttle position has no bearing on it. Clutch in and out has no bearing on it.

It doesn't happen in reverse though, only when going forward. Even when creeping forward with just slipping the clutch, everything is fine and then "CLUNK".

This was even happening at highway speeds. Subtle turn, nothing. Slightly wider turn, really quiet. Tighter turn, "clunk clunk clunk".

Turning the hub by hand doesn't reveal anything. It feels exactly the same throughout the entire motion. There is zero play in anything.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I popped open my center console to try to figure out why the aux-in jack in my new acquisition wasn't working.

Turns out, the cable from the ashtray aux-in thing to the deck just *isn't there.* Previous owner must have had a stereo that he returned to stock and just forgot to put it back.

That cable is not available in any fashion from Subaru, as far as I can tell.

gently caress this gay earth. :smith:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Any ideas? If it helps, it was colder today than it has been for awhile.

I don't know but it almost sounds like our cars are wearing in an identical manner. My passenger side is making some sort of ratcheting clicking on sharp right turns. Doesn't make the sound at higher speed though, just low speed tight rights when I'm on the throttle. I'm really starting to think its a CV for my problem. My boots are also pristine.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

nm posted:

The nice thing about the STI is the diffs. Upgrading the diffs in WRX to that level will cost more than an STI, I think.
On the track, on my LGT the open front diff (and to some extent the slow VLSDs) really make themselves felt.
If you're not tracking or auto-crossing, then yes.

I think my head-gasket is going at 72k mi. :(

diffs, brakes, hubs, 6-speed, dccd, better heads. worth every penny. When it comes to mods and motorsports, I would not even consider a wrx. I would take an sti.

jamal fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 30, 2009

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And the mystery continues. I was trying to figure out if I should drive to work this morning or hitch a ride with someone else so I took my car to the local shopping center. It knocked a few times getting there on turns, but once I started doing tight figure 8s in the parking lot it went away.

So, I'll drive to work today and see if the sound resurfaces.

Psionic Sasquatch
Oct 31, 2006
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I think this would be the appropriate place to post this. My friend is looking to get an older subaru, something we can actually beat on and not feel bad about. I know older WRX's are getting cheap, but I don't want to deal with broken transmission from hotrodding kids from the first couple of years.

Is it feasible to get something like a 2000 rs 2.5 and turbo charge it? What about even older, a mid 90s outback or something similar? I want AWD and turbo, and I really want to do my own turbo charging project, cause it's something i've been hankering for bad, but if it the amount of manhours and parts is too much, I might be better with the WRX. Any suggestions on what models to start with?

We're trying to keep this as cheap as possible, and while an 8 grand 02 WRX sounds like a steal at first, a 2 grand transmission job later and not so much.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Psionic Sasquatch posted:

We're trying to keep this as cheap as possible, and while an 8 grand 02 WRX sounds like a steal at first, a 2 grand transmission job later and not so much.

You could always go for ye olde Legacy Turbo. IIRC it has a turbo 2.2L, but I may be mistaken.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

I think this would be the appropriate place to post this. My friend is looking to get an older subaru, something we can actually beat on and not feel bad about. I know older WRX's are getting cheap, but I don't want to deal with broken transmission from hotrodding kids from the first couple of years.

Is it feasible to get something like a 2000 rs 2.5 and turbo charge it? What about even older, a mid 90s outback or something similar? I want AWD and turbo, and I really want to do my own turbo charging project, cause it's something i've been hankering for bad, but if it the amount of manhours and parts is too much, I might be better with the WRX. Any suggestions on what models to start with?

Check here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

I'm not sure about turboing the RS motor, but engine swaps seem to be somewhat popular.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

The problem is the 2.5 motors are open deck and do not take kindly to boost. Some people have boosted them up to 8psi, others supercharge them. RS25.com has a forced induction section with the I want to turbo my 2.5RS thread.

The problem is once you put higher boost through an RS you blow up the motor. Blown motor of a 2.5RS vs blown tranny of a wrx. With the RS's you have to deal with headgaskets that go too. It's a slippery slope.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Most people here just swap in a JDM STI motor, at which point the most difficult part is merging the wiring harnesses. Here is a page that might give you a good idea of what it will be like to swap into a GC/GF chassis Subaru. JDMSource is an example of one company that has a decent supply of JDM STI motors. I've been doing a bit of research on this myself, but I've decided that just buying a WRX that hasn't been brutally abused is a better option - while I wouldn't mind the wiring or mechanical work there's a lot of other chassis work to do that the WRX gives you for 'free' (disc brakes, seats, suspension) and finding a nice 2.5RS is getting harder (I ended up deciding that if I did the swap at all, I'd do it into an OBS and just look like a really fast wagon nerd). My estimated cost also came out to just about the same amount for each and you're always running the risk of getting an absolute poo poo-train STI motor pull from your local disreputable JDM engine seller (which, in Canada, there are a lot of).

If you can find a Legacy Turbo (Legacy SS) with the EJ22T, that'd be a much better option for bombing around with turbo nuttery. There's no boy-racer contingent after it and it has more than enough pluck for what you want. A team here has done fantastic things with theirs in local rally.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 1, 2009

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I just want to report that installing a hitch on my 2002 Impreza Wagon was a cake walk. I got the uHaul hitch, which is identical to the Curt hitch that comes in the OEM kit. I accompanied this with the T-One wiring harness from etrailer.com and a POWERFIST receiver and ball from Princess Auto.

The hitch install is very straightforward. It bolts right onto the frame and requires you to relocate a muffler hanger to the hitch itself in the process. You'll also need to shave a centimetre or two off the inside of the rear bumper cover for clearance. The wiring harness is just plug and play. If you have the right model of Impreza there is a connector just behind the passenger side tail light. You run the connector out through a grommet in the floor of the hatch and underneath the car. The harness as well as the connector in the hatch has its own fuse which is nice.

Choosing a receiver was a bit tricky because the hitch sits pretty low and out of the way. I ended up getting a 1 1/4 inch rise receiver but I might try for a 2" if its still too low. All in all it was far easier than I thought it would be and the hitch itself is almost invisible.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Diagnosis needed:

Whenever I start from a stop my passenger rear corner drops and has a slight shudder. I am assuming its from the LSD rear in the 2000 RS. That being said, I changed the fluid from the stock stuff to Mobil 1. It did it before the change and after...

Any thoughts?

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

slowspeedracer posted:

Diagnosis needed:

Whenever I start from a stop my passenger rear corner drops and has a slight shudder. I am assuming its from the LSD rear in the 2000 RS. That being said, I changed the fluid from the stock stuff to Mobil 1. It did it before the change and after...

Any thoughts?

Could you clarify more? What do you mean the passenger side rear corner drops? Like the suspension depresses?

BTW, changing the fluid in the rear diff does nothing to the LSD. It has it's own special fluid sealed inside of it. The LSD in the RS rear i'm fairly certain is not rebuildable.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Feels like a suspension bind. Kinda like the shudder you get when a clutch is about to go, but in the rear passenger corner.

More info. 2000 RS w/ 2004 STI suspension if that matters

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
I would have someone else start out in it and look/listen to where you feel the problem coming from. Does it bind going around corners at all? Is it all the time when you're starting from a stop or just some of the time? I wouldn't be so quick to blame the diff, it could be something else entirely.

Psionic Sasquatch
Oct 31, 2006
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Most people here just swap in a JDM STI motor, at which point the most difficult part is merging the wiring harnesses. Here is a page that might give you a good idea of what it will be like to swap into a GC/GF chassis Subaru. JDMSource is an example of one company that has a decent supply of JDM STI motors. I've been doing a bit of research on this myself, but I've decided that just buying a WRX that hasn't been brutally abused is a better option - while I wouldn't mind the wiring or mechanical work there's a lot of other chassis work to do that the WRX gives you for 'free' (disc brakes, seats, suspension) and finding a nice 2.5RS is getting harder (I ended up deciding that if I did the swap at all, I'd do it into an OBS and just look like a really fast wagon nerd). My estimated cost also came out to just about the same amount for each and you're always running the risk of getting an absolute poo poo-train STI motor pull from your local disreputable JDM engine seller (which, in Canada, there are a lot of).

If you can find a Legacy Turbo (Legacy SS) with the EJ22T, that'd be a much better option for bombing around with turbo nuttery. There's no boy-racer contingent after it and it has more than enough pluck for what you want. A team here has done fantastic things with theirs in local rally.

Informative as all hell, and not just pointing at you. Thanks guys. Maybe you'll see a project thread soon of me swapping an STI rig into an rs, it not working, us selling it for piddles, and buyin a wrx!!! Just kidding, going to look into this legacy SS, sounds like EXACTLY what i want. The only thing keeping me from buying a WRX is we want to go beat on this fucker, and I've already seen one 02 wrx tranny blow up on my old room mate. I want to track it, i want to take it down every dirt road i've been having wet dreams about for the last 3 or 4 years. Thanks again.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Only from a start. I am going to rebuild the caliper to see if it is hanging up.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I love my 2006 wrx more than life itself. The warranty is going out soon and i'd like to get an accessport and catted downpipe/exhaust later this year. I've heard the cobb exhaust isn't too loud which i'd appreciate. Anyone recommend anything instead of the cobb setup?

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Informative as all hell, and not just pointing at you. Thanks guys. Maybe you'll see a project thread soon of me swapping an STI rig into an rs, it not working, us selling it for piddles, and buyin a wrx!!! Just kidding, going to look into this legacy SS, sounds like EXACTLY what i want. The only thing keeping me from buying a WRX is we want to go beat on this fucker, and I've already seen one 02 wrx tranny blow up on my old room mate. I want to track it, i want to take it down every dirt road i've been having wet dreams about for the last 3 or 4 years. Thanks again.

The WRX trannies aren't as fragile as everyone makes them out to be. They certainly aren't any stronger than an RS transmission. At any rate, there's nothing but your typical "my buddy had xxxwhp and blew his tranny" type of info available as far as year to year comparisons. The STi 6-speed is most definitely stronger, but between the 5-speeds there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference. The reason people are constantly breaking them is mostly because they exercise poor shifting technique which kills transmissions on an AWD vehicle.

One count against the EJ22T is that, whatever you do, you're going to need standalone to tune it, which can get expensive.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

slowspeedracer posted:

Only from a start. I am going to rebuild the caliper to see if it is hanging up.

Check the ebrake too. Take the rotor off an inspect the ebrake components.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My problem ended up being a rotor that's got a bit of a skew on it and rubbing against the caliper under some turns making the awful sound. No calamity here. New rotors have been ordered.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm about 2 days from buying a new Legacy. I haven't heard anything bad about them but if anyone has, I'd appreciate input now. Thanks and loves.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

slidebite posted:

I'm about 2 days from buying a new Legacy. I haven't heard anything bad about them but if anyone has, I'd appreciate input now. Thanks and loves.

Boxer engines make all sorts of odd noises and if you are at all the type that gets worried about odd engine noises you'll be driving like :ohdear: all the time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wow, I didn't realize just how worn my front endlinks were. Those were replaced yesterday too as my driver's side one had quite a bit of play in it. The car feels much tighter in turns now (I'm surprised how sloppy it had become in retrospect) and it no longer makes nasty *thumps* over bumpy roads.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Wow, I didn't realize just how worn my front endlinks were. Those were replaced yesterday too as my driver's side one had quite a bit of play in it. The car feels much tighter in turns now (I'm surprised how sloppy it had become in retrospect) and it no longer makes nasty *thumps* over bumpy roads.

Jesus, your car really is my cars twin. I also replaced my end links last week because of a lot of play and it made a huge difference.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

8ender posted:

Jesus, your car really is my cars twin. I also replaced my end links last week because of a lot of play and it made a huge difference.

Heheh, I suppose most cars age similarly when they get up there in miles. I'm at 97,000 right now.

My AC is now working again. I picked up a new idler pulley yesterday and got everything reassembled without incident. Replaced an o-ring where the discharge hose attaches to the top of the compressor since I noticed it was leaking there when I used a home charge kit earlier in the summer on the system. After I replaced the o-ring I took it immediately to be evacuated and recharged. Blows cold now. Just in time for winter.

Really though, I wanted the AC fixed so I can keep my windows clear during the fall rainy season more than anything else. I hate having foggy windows.

My new rotors should arrive Monday. I ordered a couple of Brembo blanks from Tierack for $62 a piece. Until then I'll have to live with the racket when making a tight turn. I love that tirerack has a distribution center in Deleware since stuff makes it to Pittsburgh in two business days with the cheapest shipping.

Now all I need to do is figure out why my cigarette lighter quit working (the fuse is fine) and my car will be 100% again (until something else breaks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perabyte
Apr 2, 2005

Angry
So my 99 Outback Limited made it all the way across the country. From upstate NY, to the Sierra Mountains in California. I'm just as shocked as all of you. Although I fully expect to have to do a head gasket in the coming months. But I'll have the ONLY rusty Subaru in all of California!

Bonus picture from the deserts of Southern Utah: