Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Any other Phoenix goalies on here besides Aniki? Need another goalie on the 26th this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

SmutAnEggs posted:

Do you wear any neck protection Titanium, or just roll with you upper body only?

I dont wear any neck protection beyond what my C/A provides and I've paid for it in the past. It's another one of those things that bother me but I know I should be wearing. Down the line I might try out one of those Brian's DX2's with it floating on the CA and see if that bothers me but till now I'll take the occasional shots to the collar bone.

I had another personal lesson with the ProHybrid guys yesterday and we worked on behind the net -> slot one timers and dot to dot one timers in the zone. I'll get a vid up when I figure out why the gently caress my Kodak Zi6 can read the movies but none of my PC's can.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
e; nevermind gently caress college

gco fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 17, 2009

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Happiness is a warm glove. :D
After much hunting to find a replacement for my ailing R4 glove both Titanium and my wife were able to help me out in a bind. Yesterday there was a knock at my door, while I missed the delivery guy today I went and picked up a gift from the state of hockey! Titaniums old summit glove had arrived! My prayers answered I now had a far better glove then the one that is now delegated to street/ball hockey, no longer will I try to either pockeet a puck or simply use the wrist block to deflect the shot. My joy for the Summit is overwhelming to have a higher level glove for use, however while the Summit was shipping my wife teamed up with my sisters and mother to get me a rocking birthday gift as they had long grown tired of hearing me bitch about the R4. The gift is on the right side, a nike bauer vapor x60 in philidelphia colours, the best part is that it is an Aubin pro return glove with his name stitched on. I have no gone from one subpar glove to 2 rocking gloves that give me confidence to take shots from anyone (glove side at least). Next up is a replacement for my old R4 blocker which hasn't broken down yet but with how difficult it seems to be to get full right gear I would rather have one in waiting. Once again thanks Titanium, the glove feels great and looks good with the rest of my R4 gear, while the Vapor blends with my icecap pads I now have a choice of gloves :D.
Here is a photo of my happiness:
sorry for table breakage, I have a resized image but I don't know how to edit photos that were added in the post. :( I had no idea a 2mp digicam could output such a large picture.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Space Cadet fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 17, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Christ, I can't string two good games together to save my life. Someone convince me that it's worth not giving up because ugh..

Played great last week, loving terrible this week. A slapshot to the nuts would actually have been preferable to how I played today.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

titanium posted:

Here's some pics from my friend Keith Long.

Your gloves are on backwards.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

sba posted:

Your gloves are on backwards.

His gloves are on just fine, we full righties have to stick together since we are the superior breed and all. :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How do you guys feel about Hank's defection to the Bauer camp? :v:

It was pretty weird seeing him without his +20 R8s

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
gently caress that, how about everyone going to RBK Revokes...everyone and their mother has them this year.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I completely missed the boat on the Revokes -- haven't been keeping up with my gear. What are they now? GIS doesn't show anything different from the P3s.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Martytoof posted:

I completely missed the boat on the Revokes -- haven't been keeping up with my gear. What are they now? GIS doesn't show anything different from the P3s.

You can follow this link if you dare for info on them
http://www.goaliestore.com/board/goalie-crease-ward-patch/85694-reebok-revoke-pz-formerly-ps-iii-le-official-information.html

It seems they just renamed the Limited Edition of PS III pads to the Revokes, and the biggest difference as far as I can tell is just a graphic combined with a collection of popular modifications that were ordered often on the old PS III pads.

Space Cadet fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 17, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh, in which case I'm totally down. RBKs are tha bomb :3:

Unless you're wearing that ridiculous Turco/Smitty graphic. Sorry Smitty, it's ugly.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Best Revokes so far:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh god you weren't kidding.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

What makes them so great? I personally find the graphic terribly distracting but that may be the point I suppose. Really they would look better if the yellow made some sense but it looks like a toddler went after them with a marker.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The graphics are basically my only complaint. If he had used the P3 or P2 pattern they would have looked so much cooler :(

Death to the alternate graphic!

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Anybody want some Nike knee/thigh guards? I bought them from goalie monkey but they're too big for me and I threw away the original packaging so I can't return them. :doh:

I paid $51 with shipping, I'll sell them for $25 since I'm a tard.

http://goaliemonkey.com/nike-bauer-goalie-knee-protectors.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How big is too big?

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

How big is too big?

Well I got me some skinny rear end chicken-legs, so I probably should have gone with the junior size. The straps are probably a good 3 inches too long.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've got some relatively skinny legs too, so I'll pass, but if you can't find a buyer you can always try to DIY the straps down. I had to do that with my last kneepads because the straps were so long I could wrap them around my leg like twice. Just buy some velcro and then cut them down to size.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Well I got me some skinny rear end chicken-legs, so I probably should have gone with the junior size. The straps are probably a good 3 inches too long.

I've resorted to just using shin tape to attach my knee pads. I still use the straps as a backup, but the straps alone never stay on/feel tight enough.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Martytoof posted:

Christ, I can't string two good games together to save my life. Someone convince me that it's worth not giving up because ugh..

Played great last week, loving terrible this week. A slapshot to the nuts would actually have been preferable to how I played today.

Try this... next time you have a good game afterwards write down EVERYTHING you did that day. By everything I mean everything from eating, to pooping, to what you listened to on the ride to the rink.

If you can get yourself into good routine before you hit the rink you'll notice a big difference when you get there.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Every muscle that attaches my thighs to my hip feels like it's on fire. Hooray not doing any real stretching for two years, then playing pick-up ball hockey with borrowed pads. Jesus ow.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Welp, it's looking like I very well might have just got all my poo poo jacked from the rink I work at. If anybody here plays in SoCal and sees a worn down set of royal weave, silver weave, and white 37" V2's with a set of matching white, royal weave, silver V3 7700 glove and blocker, let me know!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That is seriously hosed up. Make sure you post to GSBB as well. Hope you find your stuff :(

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Man, my brother surprised me with a new pair of Nike Bauer One95 pants, and I absolutely LOVE them. It's so nice (and so much more comfortable) not having to wear separate kneepads. The telescoping thigh pad system is pretty nifty as well.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?
Wow, you must have a really awesome brother! :haw:

Speaking of the pants, your suggestion to tie the chest protector loop into the pant strings worked great. Best solution ever. It was great being able to concentrate on the game and not futz around with the CA getting caught in something.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Part of being a goalie is being obsessed with minutia, like toe straps and stick taping.

In that spirit, what do you think is the best number?

I say #1. as it is the only number exclusively for us.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm gonna go with 33, Bob :cool:

My chest protector is held fast. It's tied down to my pants, and I wear my suspenders over it. I can't understand how people can play and let it hang loose, it just astounds me.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I play as #17 and I don't even know why. It was just a number that "found" me I guess.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Zip! posted:

I play as #17 and I don't even know why. It was just a number that "found" me I guess.

This right here. 17 is the only number goalies should wear.

Marty, I do the same thing with my chest protector. Every now and again another goalie will see me put my suspenders on over it and they look at me like I'm crazy. Snug is the way to go. Snug. SNUG!

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Number 29. I idolized Felix Potvin growing up.

Also, if any teams in the Hamilton/Burlington/Grimsby area ever need a goalie to fill in, I just got back into 'tending for the first time in a few years.

If caliber is an issue, I used to play Triple and Double A until I was 17, but I'm a bit rusty, obviously.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

deoju posted:

Part of being a goalie is being obsessed with minutia, like toe straps and stick taping.

In that spirit, what do you think is the best number?

I say #1. as it is the only number exclusively for us.

I wear #36. I always wore #36, any sport I played. It worked because I was a running back in football, too. My father wore it as a running back in college. It's the family number. #36 is the best.

In Europe I wore #1 because they only had #1 and #30 in goalie sizes and the guy who was there before me already had #30. Oh well, #1 on the ice and #1 in your hearts.

I also haven't played hockey in months. After having a cup of tea in the professional ranks (according to the NCAA at least), I couldn't play club hockey in college and I got really burned out playing in Europe, so the only time I played was in an alumni game for my high school. Time to suit up in rec leagues, forums poster Kashew wants me to play open hockey with him. I'm not entirely sure he can skate.

titanium posted:

I dont wear any neck protection beyond what my C/A provides and I've paid for it in the past. It's another one of those things that bother me but I know I should be wearing. Down the line I might try out one of those Brian's DX2's with it floating on the CA and see if that bothers me but till now I'll take the occasional shots to the collar bone.

I used to occasionally roll without the neck protector until I caught a hard snap shot from some Latvian ex-Olympian in the gullet and thought my larynx collapsed. Don't forgo the neck guard, really.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Paulocaust posted:

Also, if any teams in the Hamilton/Burlington/Grimsby area ever need a goalie to fill in, I just got back into 'tending for the first time in a few years.

I have two questions for you

1) How do you feel about a Thursday 11pm-12am time slot
2) How do you feel about playing against players of incredibly mixed skill? I'm talking from "Oh hello I just bought a pair of skates, which end of the stick do I hold?" to guys who are arguably pretty good.

If you don't mind either of the above, I have just the session for you. I was the only goalie to show up on Thursday, and I don't think they actually have a goalie lined up so if you want the spot I'm sure we'd be more than happy to have you come out.

It's at Coronation. We goalies play free obviously. I'm not the organizer but I'm actively working on getting another goalie to start coming out, as well as getting more players to come out period.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
You can come out to where I play.. I haven't been to an open game yet that has less than four goalies.

..getting up at 5:30 to play kinda sucks. Welp.. off to the rink.

Wow only two goalies showed up. The very last shot taken.. right in my neck. I only wear a dangler and it kinda went through and up into the dangler.. so I got a nice mark on my throat. Kinda scary poo poo.

Polish fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 11, 2009

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

Polish posted:

You can come out to where I play.. I haven't been to an open game yet that has less than four goalies.

..getting up at 5:30 to play kinda sucks. Welp.. off to the rink.

Wow only two goalies showed up. The very last shot taken.. right in my neck. I only wear a dangler and it kinda went through and up into the dangler.. so I got a nice mark on my throat. Kinda scary poo poo.

Sooooo.... You gonna get a throat guard for under your dangler?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
It certainly makes me think about it.. but in reality, probably not.

They don't call me Polish for nothin'..

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
So I'm thinking about trying a little experiment one of these weekends and see how well coloring pads/glove/blocker works on my own. I was leaning towards using a sharpie, but that'd only work for parts that are originally white. Then I thought maybe spray paint would be doable. If anyone has any ideas beyond those, I'd be glad to give them a shot when/if I decide to actually do this as long as it's reasonable. I'm probably going to do it with my glove and blocker first since they're illegal anyway and if I gently caress them up, it's no big loss because I have to like actually get legal ones for next year.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't think it'll actually gently caress up your equipment, but I do think it'll gently caress up basically anything you touch. Sharpie is going to start running, everything is going to be black.

I played pickup with another goalie in Tampa who did the sharpie thing, and when it was time to switch side I basically said "no fuckin way" cause the crease ice was stained with marker ink. No way am I getting my pads dirty with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

It's going to look ridiculous and just run everywhere, like Martytoof said. Don't do it.

• Locked thread