Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mr. Blastaway posted:

I saw this a long time ago and can't remember if it was a full length movie or perhaps just a tv show or short, but I'll try and describe it anyways. It was black and white (looked like it was made in the 40's or 50's) and involved trying to find someone's (a woman's I think) watch or ring. She lost it in a diner (bakery?) and they think it fell into some dough and made into doughnuts. A good chunk of it is spent with them eating and examining each doughnut until they find it.

Any idea? I tried using IMDB's search but nothing came up.

A little Googling gives me this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
it's on Youtube FYI

skog
Aug 20, 2009
I think it was a Japanese movie: an ex-gang member kills a few people that break into his house and stuffs their bodies under his coffee table, goes into hiding at this woman's house and, I believe, falls in love. I also vaguely remember something about the woman's sister dying and everything being interconnected.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

skog posted:

I think it was a Japanese movie: an ex-gang member kills a few people that break into his house and stuffs their bodies under his coffee table, goes into hiding at this woman's house and, I believe, falls in love. I also vaguely remember something about the woman's sister dying and everything being interconnected.

It sounds a lot like Last Life in the Universe (which is a Thai movie).

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

It does have a Japanese lead and a number of Japanese side characters though, so it's an understandable mix-up.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

DiscoJ posted:

It does have a Japanese lead and a number of Japanese side characters though, so it's an understandable mix-up.

Yes, of course. Didn't mean to sound harsh. I remember only finding out when I looked it up after seeing the movie.

I thought that the movie had a terrific reveal of the character's yakuza past. Up until about half-way through the movie all we know about him is that he's an almost OCD level neat freak who works in a library. He's holed up with the girl, and her ex-boyfriend (? It's been a while) comes by. He answers the door shirtless and after he sends the ex on his way, he walks away, showing his full-back tattoo for the first time. Just in that moment, so much about the audience's understanding of the character changes.

skog
Aug 20, 2009

SaintFu posted:

It sounds a lot like Last Life in the Universe (which is a Thai movie).

Yes that is it! Thank you

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I saw a movie in the early 90s about a kid who stays home and defends his home from invaders with toys. It was pretty much a home alone ripoff. All I remember is some of the toys. He had this toy of a swiss dude that yodeled, and he had a huge remote control that controlled an RC airplane or something. I think he got his neighbor to save him in the end.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

Biodome posted:

I saw a movie in the early 90s about a kid who stays home and defends his home from invaders with toys. It was pretty much a home alone ripoff. All I remember is some of the toys. He had this toy of a swiss dude that yodeled, and he had a huge remote control that controlled an RC airplane or something. I think he got his neighbor to save him in the end.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sounds like Remote.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107944/

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Ok, so I've never seen this movie, but it was described to me, and I really want to see it, but I can't remember the name.

Apparently it's a war movie (I know, specific), and it has a shot that's like 5+ minutes long that's this epic shot of soldiers running or fighting or something. I know it's really vague, but that's all I got. Any help?

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Saving Private Ryan.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Ok, so I've never seen this movie, but it was described to me, and I really want to see it, but I can't remember the name.

Apparently it's a war movie (I know, specific), and it has a shot that's like 5+ minutes long that's this epic shot of soldiers running or fighting or something. I know it's really vague, but that's all I got. Any help?

I think this might just be every war film ever. Any chance of letting us know which war at least?

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I'm certain it's Saving Private Ryan.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Nuke Goes KABOOM posted:

I'm certain it's Saving Private Ryan.

Nuke Goes KABOOM posted:

Schindler's List is a better film and far more powerful than the Pianist.

Steven Spielberg, is that you?

I'll take a stab at it and say Paths of Glory. It could easily be a bajillion other movies, though.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
This is one that has bugged me and a few friends since I was in like 8th grade, and I've never figured it out, so I'm thinking it might be mostly imagined a la that 'That's the beauty of it! It doesn't do anything!' fiasco. Here's hoping it does ring a bell here, though:

This is most likely and 80's or 90's movie. In it, there's a scene where a teenager is being nagged by his parents in his room. He's getting increasingly annoyed, clutching his head and grimacing, but not saying anything. Then finally, he yells, in slow motion: 'SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT UPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

FitFortDanga posted:

Steven Spielberg, is that you?

I'm not even Jewish!

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

It's not saving private ryan - like, there're no camera changes the whole time. It was apparently a big deal or something for film, at least thats what I was told could be totally wrong

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

It's not saving private ryan - like, there're no camera changes the whole time. It was apparently a big deal or something for film, at least thats what I was told could be totally wrong

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Any chance of letting us know which war at least?

I'm sure you'd at least know this.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

Haha, well, um, I don't really know. I'm really sorry about the vagueness of this question, its just thats really all i know about it and i cant even remember who that guy who told me is, it was one of like 4 people.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Haha, well, um, I don't really know. I'm really sorry about the vagueness of this question, its just thats really all i know about it and i cant even remember who that guy who told me is, it was one of like 4 people.

Call all four of those people right now, we need answers.

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Are you sure it wasn't Saving Private Ryan?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Could it be FULL METAL JACKET?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Is it Atonement maybe?

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

Nuke Goes KABOOM posted:

Are you sure it wasn't Saving Private Ryan?

No, older i think, like 90s and before (although wasnt ryan in like 98?)

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

Could it be FULL METAL JACKET?

Haha no but I think that movies pretty dope, especially the beginning with that fat kid in the bathroom

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
*checks post history, sees a bunch of TCC, isn't surprised at all*

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

There's a decent chance this is the cease fire scene from "Children of Men". I believe that was one long shot.

Edit: Per IMDB's trivia page, the shot is 6 minutes, 18 seconds long.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

ProfessorClumsy posted:

I think this might just be every war film ever. Any chance of letting us know which war at least?

Since we are not even given a time period for the war, I will go with the beginning of 2001, Spartacus, Braveheart, The Patriot, or Starship Troopers.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kanal?

Flynner Magee
Nov 24, 2005
.....bad craziness.....
If your memory of Full Metal Jacket is of a fat kid in a bathroom in the beginning, I would venture that the film you're after may or may not be a war film, is probably not from the 90's, and the shot doesn't have any fighting in it...

...and at the end of it all you'll find out that it was most likely Atonement anyway like the guy said above.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
I'll throw out a guess at Glory starring Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Matthew Broderick (with a fancy little moustachio) and Cary Elwes. Specifically the march/run to the fort in the final battle scene. That scene is pretty badass!

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
When I was but a wee lad I lived on the island in Georgia (Jekyll Island) where that scene was filmed when it was being filmed.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

The Thin Red Line?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

The Lucas posted:

The Thin Red Line?

This is my guess too if your buddy was describing it as 'epic'. I don't think there are any war movies with impressively lengthy shots a la Snake Eyes or Goodfellas or whatever.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

This has been driving me crazy. I think it's a romantic comedy, one of those ones where at the beginning the girl is with a jerk. In this one we know he's a jerk because in one scene the jerk and a kid (maybe the girl's kid?) are at a pond, and the jerk has an expensive remote controlled sailboat and either won't let the kid play with it or tells the kid not to break it.

Anyone remember a movie with a scene like that?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Rastor posted:

This has been driving me crazy. I think it's a romantic comedy, one of those ones where at the beginning the girl is with a jerk. In this one we know he's a jerk because in one scene the jerk and a kid (maybe the girl's kid?) are at a pond, and the jerk has an expensive remote controlled sailboat and either won't let the kid play with it or tells the kid not to break it.

Anyone remember a movie with a scene like that?

About a Boy, I think. My memory of it is hazy though.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

What poster is this from?

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Rastor posted:

the jerk and a kid (maybe the girl's kid?) are at a pond, and the jerk has an expensive remote controlled sailboat and either won't let the kid play with it or tells the kid not to break it.

Hank Azaria being the jerky boyfriend in "Run Fatboy Run".

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Topper Harley posted:

Sounds like Remote.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107944/

This is it, thanks! Knew it was remote something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyLivingWitness
Dec 23, 2005

The Lucas posted:

What poster is this from?

Goodfellas