Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

You lost me here. Maybe I haven't installed autotunes correctly. Do I need to put anything in the ableton folder?

You need to point Ableton at your VST install folder. The option is in preferences. You should then be able to hit rescan plugins and Autotune will show up in your plugins tab. Then you just drag it over to a track like any other effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

You need to point Ableton at your VST install folder. The option is in preferences. You should then be able to hit rescan plugins and Autotune will show up in your plugins tab. Then you just drag it over to a track like any other effect

I have it pointed to the directory in preferences, rescanned. Under plug-in Devices its just blank. Is this where I should be looking?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

I have it pointed to the directory in preferences, rescanned. Under plug-in Devices its just blank. Is this where I should be looking?

Is it pointing to the directory of all your 3rd party VSTs? "Program files/VstPlugins" i think is the default.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

ManoliIsFat posted:

Is it pointing to the directory of all your 3rd party VSTs? "Program files/VstPlugins" i think is the default.

Default is program files/steinberg/ vst plugins in ableton.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?
As these guys have said. You need to have a folder somewhere in your computer that contains any and all VST plugins (usually .dll files) you have downloaded/purchased, and you need to point Ableton to this folder and tell it to scan it. It will identify them all, and they'll become available in the plugins list that shows up on your left when you click the little plug icon. You can then use them just as you would any other ableton instrument/effect, by dragging them onto an appropriate type of track.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Picked up an NI Maschine yesterday. This + Live 8 + APC40 = Bliss

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
I'm having a very weird problem that only seems to happen in Ableton. I'm using an Axiom 25 controller, and trying to assign different clips to the keys. When I midi map the keys though I also get the sounds of a piano when I activate a clip. I don't have any other instruments or Vst's open so I'm not sure where these sounds are coming from. It only happens when I use Ableton so these sounds have to be coming from somewhere within the program. When I actually record they don't appear on the track though. I googled this and found one forum post with someone who had a similar issue. Someone responded mentioning something about CC numbers when MIDI mapping but I wasn't totally sure what these are or how I could set it up with Ableton. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wonder Bread
Apr 16, 2005

Have you ever danced with a crapatar in the pale moonlight?

SkandalousPanda posted:

I'm having a very weird problem that only seems to happen in Ableton. I'm using an Axiom 25 controller, and trying to assign different clips to the keys. When I midi map the keys though I also get the sounds of a piano when I activate a clip. I don't have any other instruments or Vst's open so I'm not sure where these sounds are coming from. It only happens when I use Ableton so these sounds have to be coming from somewhere within the program. When I actually record they don't appear on the track though. I googled this and found one forum post with someone who had a similar issue. Someone responded mentioning something about CC numbers when MIDI mapping but I wasn't totally sure what these are or how I could set it up with Ableton. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you running a Mac?

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
PC

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Hey, I'm using a Presonus Firestudio and I just upgraded to Live 8.

I'm at the office right now, so I can't plug any instruments in, but I've got my presonus here cause I was working out some issues with firecontrol when the boss isn't around. What concerns me though is that I used to get options where my inputs are coming and going, but right now they don't show up, see pics:

what I get:

what I used to get:

It seems to me, logically, that I wouldn't actually need an instrument to be plugged in to channel 1 to make my Audio channel receive its signal from channel 1 of the presonus, but is this the case?

Edit, maybe its an issue with my audio driver?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
On the right hand side of your Ableton UI, press the circle marked IO.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Wow....Feel dumb, but can't thank you enough!

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

RizieN posted:

Wow....Feel dumb, but can't thank you enough!

That happened to me once it was awesome. Since then I learned to use the program and find that little button useful as gently caress once you get your routing sorted. Then I have room for 10 return track knobs!

apistat
Nov 4, 2004

Meet you on the roof?

Plavski posted:

Only with Bome's.

Thanks! I might spring for it if I can think of anything else it would come in handy for. Ctrl+Z for now!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

apistat posted:

Thanks! I might spring for it if I can think of anything else it would come in handy for. Ctrl+Z for now!
You can use the free one as long as you're okay with a nag screen on each startup for a few seconds.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Got a maybe dumb question about Rewire. I rewire reason into ableton, but at the moment can only record the audio from reason's synths. I use reason's sequencer (which i hate) and just have audio tracks in ableton for the output. Is there any way I can have a midi track in ableton, that controls the reason synth?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Terrible Horse posted:

Got a maybe dumb question about Rewire. I rewire reason into ableton, but at the moment can only record the audio from reason's synths. I use reason's sequencer (which i hate) and just have audio tracks in ableton for the output. Is there any way I can have a midi track in ableton, that controls the reason synth?

Don't have it handy but try creating a new midi track in ableton once you have it all set up, and in the i/o settings under midi out select reason or rewire or something, and iirc the grayed out box below it should go active and you can select synths that are open in reason.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Question about transposing:

I write mainly guitar-based music and a huuuuuuge problem I have is that I'll write 20 possible parts, but because some of them are in different keys it is hard for me to tell if they'll "work."

How are Live's transposing tools? Can I apply them to a whole scene and if so, does it stretch the sound to poo poo? I want to try but I'm...I'm scared. What's the best way to get a good sound going?

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Mandals posted:

I write mainly guitar-based music and a huuuuuuge problem I have is that I'll write 20 possible parts, but because some of them are in different keys it is hard for me to tell if they'll "work."

How are Live's transposing tools? Can I apply them to a whole scene and if so, does it stretch the sound to poo poo? I want to try but I'm...I'm scared. What's the best way to get a good sound going?

You have to wait for the new melodyne. Google Melodyne DNA. Live does not have polyphonic pitch bending AFAIK. It just has the standard semitone transpose knob. Also a midi device called pitch which does the same thing. If you could get a midi guitar rig going, you could easily edit polyphonic material that way as well.

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 29, 2009

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Terrible Horse posted:

IIRC the 'External Instrument' device in Live allows you to target individual devices in Reason as well as designate what output to receive from.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
How do I import a stack of different .aiff files?

Because I get all these long, chunk-based sound files and I guess they can be imported to have all the different chunks in the right order, can't I?

Thanks

PS: usinv vista btw

Runoir
Feb 25, 2007
Is there any way to control Live's crossfader or individual channel volume with expression pedals?

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Mandals posted:

Actually the standard monophonic transposition tool will work for most of the situations you're talking about. The key here is that you're bending ALL the pitches by the same amount. It will sound like crap beyond a few semitones but it will work for taking a riff from B Major to Bflat Major. You only need that Melodyne hocus pocus to change a B Major chord to a B minor chord for example.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Dopo posted:

Actually the standard monophonic transposition tool will work for most of the situations you're talking about. The key here is that you're bending ALL the pitches by the same amount. It will sound like crap beyond a few semitones but it will work for taking a riff from B Major to Bflat Major. You only need that Melodyne hocus pocus to change a B Major chord to a B minor chord for example.

Awesome. I'll play with it tonight.

Do you know if there's a way to transpose an entire scene?

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Just transpose every (non-percussion) clip in the scene.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
You can use Ctrl to select multiple clips by the way.

Even better, but it'll require a bit more work; assign the clip transpose values to a knob so you don't have to re-select everything all the time.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Dopo posted:

It works but it adds a subtle flavor for sure that really can be annoying in my opinion. Yeah a semitone or two works. I like to transpose things by large amounts

Turning a voice into a roar or a loud rear end car stereo rumble that passes my window and transpose that into chords up high in like C4.

I like clip transpose for someshit like kicks and claps and poo poo for sure.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Rkelly posted:

It works but it adds a subtle flavor for sure that really can be annoying in my opinion.
I agree. When recording my own guitar parts I find it useful for transposing up or down a little to see if it fits well with another part, but if it does work I'll go ahead and rerecord it in the new key so I don't have any distortions.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.
For those that can't quite justify a full APC40...

http://www.ableton.com/launchpad

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Lewk posted:

Fuckkkkk. I want it I want it I want it.

But I already have an APC40 :( The auto device knobs are drat handy to be sure, but that thing would be so much nicer for gigs.

Oh and this thing will also be able to use Max 4 Live. And will retail for €149 + vat. A great price.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 1, 2009

Lewk
May 22, 2001

I've not even had chance to have a full read about it yet, haha.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

I don't even use my padKontrol anymore but I want that. poo poo, for $200, it's at the very least going to be a fun little toy.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Lewk posted:

I think I must have this.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

Yeah, I want one of those controllers now. Will see how I get on with the APC40 I have access too first.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I have the APC40 but that launchpad still looks pretty useful. I'd love to use it as a step sequencer w/ Max4Live.

Launchpad is going to completely cannibalize monome sales

Grease Faucet
Feb 24, 2007
For that just-brushed feeling
Would anyone be able to help me out on making glitchy vocals (a la Ludachrist)? I'm trying to figure out how to manipulate them in real time but doing it beforehand would be fine, too.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
A Youtube link would be nice. Otherwise, if you're not on OS X, check what http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/ and http://mdsp.smartelectronix.com/livecut/ can do for you.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Yoozer posted:

A Youtube link would be nice. Otherwise, if you're not on OS X, check what http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/ and http://mdsp.smartelectronix.com/livecut/ can do for you.

drat, that's awesome. Too bad there's no OS X version.

EDIT - I meant for Glitch.

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.
After seeing the Launchpad demo video, I've made the decision to get more into electronic music production. I'm pretty strong with Pro Tools, but use it mostly for recording/mixing and post...I have a musical background and I think I can pull this off. And I have too many hook ups for sample libraries with friends that already do this that it would be silly for me not to take advantage of it. It seems like there's plenty of great resources online and in print, and at that price point, Launchpad and Ableton seem worth it. Downloading the Ableton Suite trial now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

chief touching you posted:

I have the APC40 but that launchpad still looks pretty useful. I'd love to use it as a step sequencer w/ Max4Live.

Launchpad is going to completely cannibalize monome sales
This can only be a good thing, gently caress the monome. Artificially limiting sales to charge ridiculous prices and creating exclusivity and envy is annoying and having much cheaper, more useful competition on the market is a very good thing.

You can already use the APC40 as a monome anyway with a max/msp patch so I hope the monome dies a death.