Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Have you preserved the vertex order when reexporting? If those get messed up, that does bad things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Hinchu posted:

Do you use projected images for the shadows or are they all calculated off of geometry?

It's all raytraced. (vray is awesome)

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hazed_blue posted:

drat. I seem to have done something wrong on my Zbrush tool, and I don't know what to do. I wanted to export it back to Max so that I could set up the UVs, and so I took my tool, put it down to the lowest subdivision layer, and exported it. After I imported it into max, I fiddled with the UVs a little and then exported it back to ZBrush. The lowest geometric division imports perfectly, but when I go up the subdivision levels, the model explodes: vertices go everywhere, and I can't recognize the model anymore.

What's going on here, and how can I fix it?

I've found that MAx will change the vert order on you even though it's not supposed to. A workaround that works for me is as follows.

- Export .obj from ZBrush with default settings
- Import into MAX, check "import as editable poly" and "simgle mesh"
- Do whatever you need to do to the model
- Convert the mesh to editable mesh
- Convert the mesh back to editable poly
- Export as .obj to go back to ZBrush

I don't know why it works but it does

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot tonight and see how it goes.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006
This is amazing!

http://vimeo.com/5552957

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

Ratmann posted:

This is amazing!

http://vimeo.com/5552957

That's actually how I feel about a lot of tech promo videos. CGI BROWS!

nogthree
Jun 28, 2008
Hi folks,

I've got a bit of a silly question regarding Cinema4d, just tooling around with it to get my head around modernish 3d tech.

I'm wanting to render a scene out in several resolutions at once for use as wallpapers, but I can't seem to do this in the render settings inside Cinema4d, does anyone know of a plugin or workaround to do this?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Why not render it at max needed size and then shrink it down to each resolution under that with photoshop?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Does anyone here use a gtx 275 with maya under vista 64bit? If yes what is a good driver to install? I couldnt find one that maya likes so far. :smith:

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

keyframe posted:

Does anyone here use a gtx 275 with maya under vista 64bit? If yes what is a good driver to install? I couldnt find one that maya likes so far. :smith:

The chances are close to zero.

ask support?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Odddzy posted:

The chances are close to zero.

ask support?

support doesnt support non quadro geforce cards.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Can you softmod those cards into quadros, or is that just the 8* series? Could try that then install the quadro drivers.

I did it on one of the 8's and with the maxstream drivers had a huge improvement. If it's a home pc, it may have trouble with games though.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

cubicle gangster posted:

Can you softmod those cards into quadros, or is that just the 8* series? Could try that then install the quadro drivers.

I did it on one of the 8's and with the maxstream drivers had a huge improvement. If it's a home pc, it may have trouble with games though.

I thought you cant do that with the newer cards anymore?

In any case upgrading to win 7 fixed the problem. If any of you is on the fence about win 7 I cant recommend it enough. Every app works fine and its so much faster than vista\xp.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yeah, looks like you're right.

Found a forum where somebody saids the guys who do it are working on it, but no other news.
I've not heard any bad reports from win7 yet, it's sounding really good. Might upgrade soon...

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Maybe a repost, but it deserves it:

http://tysonibele.com/Main/BuildingGenerator/buildingGen.htm

This took about 30s to generate in Max2008-32 with default randomized values (which have a few too many windows for my tastes). Does UV and material application. It can even automatically export vrayproxies. Hells yeah.

Options Ga-loving-lore

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 29, 2009

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

Handiklap posted:

Maybe a repost, but it deserves it:

http://tysonibele.com/Main/BuildingGenerator/buildingGen.htm

This took about 30s to generate in Max2008-32 with default randomized values (which have a few too many windows for my tastes). Does UV and material application. It can even automatically export vrayproxies. Hells yeah.

Options Ga-loving-lore

Yeah i've seen that, but looks like it's kinda limited to tower shaped buildings only. still fun to smack vray around with that detail.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks neat, but that last building to the right has got some really weird things going on. 8 separate styles of windows on one face? Hmm.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Seems like it would be pretty useful in combination with individually modelled buildings and something like greeble for different LODs

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006
Looks like they reached a deal on the whole Meteor thing, this kind of stuff has to come out more.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118009318.html?categoryid=19&cs=1&query=meteor+studios

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
This is getting forwarded around a few studios in LA today:

:madmax:

:doh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5YjPteCPLo

Best part is the guy rips off the planet destruction bits from another film that my friend worked on (Hey wait a minute...!)

/edit

I delt with assholes like this before college. Do work for cheap for this guy, who turns around and flips it for big person money. I made $300, and he flipped it for $8000. That's business but I was a quick study, figured out who the end client was and cut out the middleman :)

I'm willing to bet this dude is charging 10 grand or so for this work hoping to sucker someone in for 1200-1500 to do a minute bumper :psyduck:

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 30, 2009

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Holy poo poo! That was insane! It went from amazing, to extreme, to EXXXTREEEMMMEE!!!!

That's pretty funny. And who would be stupid enough to do it that cheap.
I worked for people like that too when I first started. Of course, now that I'm looking for a full-time job while doing freelance I've been getting some ridiculous offers. I've been doing some freelance for a company, and yesterday they offered to hire me full-time for a whopping $10 an hour. Which isn't even close to what I've been charging them for freelance.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 30, 2009

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
My favorite part was when the bear busted through the roof. That was awesome!

Working with people commissioning their first 3d work is always interesting. So many of the people whose work we didn't get actually got mad when they heard our quote. We were far from expensive, too. Maybe you shouldn't call us on a Friday and need 5 minutes of animation done and delivered for 9 a.m. eastern on Monday morning???

DefMech fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 30, 2009

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Oh that is totally awesome. Send to all time :)

Craigslist adds for CG work are usually pretty hilarious. Are there actually ever ads on Craigslist for legitimate CG work?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

DefMech posted:

Working with people commissioning their first 3d work is always interesting. So many of the people whose work we didn't get actually got mad when they heard our quote. We were far from expensive, too.

We've had a fair bit of this. Had a developer get our name from someone at an event and come down for a meeting with my boss to get a quote/talk about a job.

He ended up storming out of the meeting when my boss gave him the quote, saying that he cant believe we'd ever charge so much for such an unimportant part of the process and it was 10 times what he'd ever pay for this.
haha.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

BigKOfJustice posted:

Someone NEEDS to do this as a joke, and work Colin's bear into it.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

BigKOfJustice posted:

This is getting forwarded around a few studios in LA today:

:madmax:

Oh god I'm trying to watch this at work and laughing too much I have to keep pausing it. When the bear explodes oh wow.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Heintje posted:

Someone NEEDS to do this as a joke, and work Colin's bear into it.

set to this theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbZMnF1VNlE&feature=player_embedded

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

EoinCannon posted:

I've found that MAx will change the vert order on you even though it's not supposed to. A workaround that works for me is as follows.

- Export .obj from ZBrush with default settings
- Import into MAX, check "import as editable poly" and "simgle mesh"
- Do whatever you need to do to the model
- Convert the mesh to editable mesh
- Convert the mesh back to editable poly
- Export as .obj to go back to ZBrush

I don't know why it works but it does
What version of Max are you using that allows you to import as an editable poly? I'm using 9, and I don't see that option anywhere.

Still having trouble getting it back into ZBrush properly, but I had a thought: do subtools affect the mesh when importing? Right now, I have the eyes split off into a subtool separate from the main head. When I export the mesh to Max, the eyes do not export with it, and I'm wondering if that's what is affecting the vertex order. Should I be making the subtool pieces all one tool before exporting it out to Max?

Trouble aside, still chugging away at this guy 10 minutes at a time:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, you combine everything into one mesh before exporting back into Max. Or export all the subtools and combine them in Max. Whichever works best for what youre doing.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

That video is loving amazing.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Thanks for the tip SynthOrange! I was going to post exactly this question when I come here and find someone has already asked it.
I have tried moving UVs around in Maya and Max and when I reimport the obj as a subtool it tells me the vertex order has been changed.
This doesn't happen with Roadkill of UVlayout however.

Haven't been to this thread in a while and have a bit of catching up to do.

Heintje posted:

That video is loving amazing.

Did I miss something? Are hockey fans the new NASCAR fans?

Ratmann:

quote:

The Meteor case has become a symbol of the shaky standing of the vfx industry and vfx artists in particular. Vfx artists have no union or guild, and no Hollywood union has consented to represent them. Meanwhile, some vfx studios are in such bad financial shape, with current income used to pay off past debts, that one analyst has called the entire business “a Ponzi scheme.”

That is pretty enlightening.

Hazed_blue: Nice work but the more human side of his face needs a bit more attention I think.

BigKOfJustice: I got scammed for a 3d job on craigslist when I first moved to LA. Never again.

Anyone heard much about iray?
http://www.mentalimages.com/products/iray.html

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 2, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Looks like a massive waste of time. The image quality is good, but what it needs to get there is so ott it makes it useless.

In their demo video they were running it with 15 high end quadros on a cloud server. Yeah, great work guys.
Now try and outfit an office with 5 or more people with an rt setup...

In other news, how poo poo does the caustic card look now! Both vray and mental ray have been pissing all over it.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 2, 2009

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

sigma 6 posted:

Hazed_blue: Nice work but the more human side of his face needs a bit more attention I think.
It definitely needs more attention, I'm just not quite sure what it is. Something about the angles associated with his eye socket and brow are bothering me.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

The image is blocked here at school. As I remember from the morning, the face is protruding too far from the head. Looks like you need to smooth out the side of the head towards the face a bit more.

This vertex order thing is driving me nuts.

I am trying to get this to work in Maya but so far the mesh just explodes / christmas trees (is that a verb?) when I try and import the mesh into zbrush and re-subdivide back up.

Same problem in Max but I haven't tried the workaround mentioned in this thread yet.

All I am trying to do is fix my UVs in max or maya and then re-import the fixed obj as a base subtool in the ztl file. When it works, I can step back up to all the sculpting which had been made previously. Unfortunately, it only seems to work if I use Roadkill exclusively. If I use Max or Maya, the vertex order is changed somehow. Checking the obj export settings but so far no luck.

cubicle gangster: What is the caustic card?

Edit:

The imported obj will successfully swap in with fixed UVs but as soon as I subdivide up, the geometry explodes.

Although not explicitly related to 3d, I thought you guys might enjoy these sculptures.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 6, 2009

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

Ratmann posted:

Looks like they reached a deal on the whole Meteor thing, this kind of stuff has to come out more.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118009318.html?categoryid=19&cs=1&query=meteor+studios

Good thing I left before this whole thing went down.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

DD is opening a Vancouver office.

I guess I won't be living in LA for very much longer. Everything is moving across the borders. loving taxes.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

-A n i m 8- posted:

Good thing I left before this whole thing went down.

I dunno, I would have left the job the moment they couldn't meet payroll. I've seen the "we will pay you when the job is complete, honest..." fall apart too many times.

I mean as a vendor it's normal to do that. Get a bit up front, a bit later on, and the rest upon delivery. But for rank and file employees? No.

Unless something else happened at Meteor.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

PowerLlama posted:

DD is opening a Vancouver office.

I guess I won't be living in LA for very much longer. Everything is moving across the borders. loving taxes.

Its not the taxes. Its just that Vancouver is awesome :smug:

It is the taxes

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Been working on a few backgrounds for a show, which I've done in Flash. There's a bus in the shot though, which is giving the 2d animators the heebly jibblies, so I foolishly agreed to do one up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Been working on a few backgrounds for a show, which I've done in Flash. There's a bus in the shot though, which is giving the 2d animators the heebly jibblies, so I foolishly agreed to do one up.

That's cool, the doors are on the wrong side unless you flop the illustration.

It's a nitpick but I worked on enough kids shows where network BSP dictated that we made sure everyone wore a seatbelt in a vehicle, and wore helmets and safety gear each time they biked, or rode a skateboard.

So someone may point that out.

Unless it's in a country with RHD I guess :)