Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Podkateer
Sep 10, 2009

Han shot first.
Hello guys/gals/porpoises,

I'm new to the SA forums, seen a lot of fun stuff so far but haven't posted much.

I was curious if there's anyone here studying interior design, or just beginning a career in the field. I live in Seattle, and am looking for work that will be of value to what I'm studying in class. I was in the commercial furniture business, but the industry is slow as molasses right now.

For those in the design world, what kinds of entry-level work did you do that may have served your design career and education? I'd love to be a carpenter's apprentice, or work in a metal shop, but its a really tough time because there is so much skilled labor also looking for work.

Any creative ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

magnificent7 posted:

SO YOU WANT TO GO INTO ADVERTISING...

(I thought about making this a separate thread, but this is definitely career advice).

I've been in graphic design and advertising for 15 years, give or take. And I started late. I loved the challenge of reaching out to the common man with a message - every day - no - every design was a competition to be heard over the next designer. Get through the noise with a smarter message, a better layout, a cleaner concept - it was great.

This was back in 92 and before internets. I was doing print design for a rock club that booked some of the biggest national acts. It was a great time to be doing design, and the freedoms bestowed upon me allowed me to make great rock posters and meet some of my heroes.

And then I quit that and went into vacation travel advertising.

And then I left that to go to school. While I was in design school, I did the layout for algebra books. That was hell.

Fast-forward 12 years and here I am, a Creative Director of sorts for an in-house ad agency for weather.com, designing ads for external clients. Some campaigns have been fantastic and rewarding, but for the most part, I've been designing the things that people hate. So much so, that they'll blog about it, post screenshots of my work, and what the hell, my work even appears in major advertising websites. Always with complaints about the sad state of online advertising.

Don't get me wrong. Some of the poo poo we throw up is crap. It's annoying, the client WANTS it to be annoying and isn't interested in less obnoxious solutions, until it's their ad thrown up on the article talking about the sad state of advertising.

So. What I'm saying is, don't do it. Sure, there's the occasional ad campaign that wins high marks (http://halloween2-movie.com/banners/H2_mockBook_300x600.html) but for the most part, you're selling the new line of Sham-Wows, with the same pizzazz and bling that was on the last one, that's been mocked everywhere. Or you're being asked again to make something that's never been done before so they'll get more press about it. And they want it today.

I've loved working in advertising. I've enjoyed taking the truly lovely ideas and at least rolling them in glitter. I've enjoyed educating our clients so that their ads aren't so much annoying as they are eye-catching. But there's days - months sometimes - where those opportunities don't exist. All you're doing is scooping up the poo poo, throwing it on the page. You want to tell yourself you're making the user experience better because, poo poo, you should have seen what they WANTED to run, but in the end, nobody gives a gently caress. All they care about is that you were a part of the team that's contributing to the whoring of the universe.

Some folks can live with that. I mean, hell, I can. Tomorrow? It's a new day with new chances to roll new turds in glitter. But those really cool tv shows about ad agencies - the ones that pulled me in and told me being an ad-man was hip and cool and out there - gently caress those shows.

Don't get me wrong - those agencies exist and I'd love to work for them... but even THEN, you're still talking to a client. And the client doesn't know poo poo about design, messaging, concepts. All they know is that the Snuggee looks best on their wife, so by god, put that bitch in the commercial or gently caress off.

Oh - and - good luck with your career! Have fun! It's supposed to be zany and fun!

Thanks. Now I'm really confused as to what field I want to go in to. :raise: So far I've decided getting into advertising would be my most realistic move from high school. Though what would be my other options for career paths? I know After Effects, Flash, Photoshop - the basic run-down. Enjoy animation, creating stuff digitally and traditionally. What about graphic design? I've heard negative things about it though, of being a ridiculously competitive field. Or is that no more true than it is for advertising? I'm curious what my options would be with computer design in mind.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 29, 2009

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

All creative fields are incredibly competitive. The good news is that most of the people you're competing against aren't very good and if you work really hard at improving your work and work habits you'll have a leg up. Nobody gets paid to just relax and screw around with fun software all day though.

Learning graphic design will help your animation work and learning more about animation will help your design work. At some point you're going to have to figure out what you like best and pursue it specifically but you're still young so don't sweat it too much just yet.

Maverix0r
Apr 16, 2005

Legend of the West
I just got approached to do some very simple graphic design work, freelance for the first time. I have no idea what I should charge. Ideas?

RiceTaco
Jul 15, 2003

by Ozma
This link has been passed around between my friends (also graphic designers) and me. Pretty much the state of Graphic Design or the creative industry as whole. I pretty much agree with everything said.

http://ronnielebow.blogspot.com/2009/09/we-have-become-cheap-whores.html

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
1) get away from eLance and everything related.
2) if you can't compete you're doing something wrong.

think how monks felt when J. Gutenburg rolled up.

of course times are tough and none of us are doing fantastically but I'd like to think that there is a difference between pirating a copy of photoshop and being a designer.

AIGA's response to the iStockLogo fiasco says it all - making a logo doesn't make you a graphic designer, it makes you an artworker at best.
http://bit.ly/aigaistock

Zurich fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 2, 2009

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
A business really hasn't thought their marketing strategy through if they decide to just pick a logo off of iStock and use it. It goes against the idea of identity design, and they'll just be another company with an identical logo to another business. Isn't brand confusion what businesses don't want? Also what about registered trademark issues? It's so complicated legally I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

cheese eats mouse posted:

A business really hasn't thought their marketing strategy through if they decide to just pick a logo off of iStock and use it. It goes against the idea of identity design, and they'll just be another company with an identical logo to another business. Isn't brand confusion what businesses don't want? Also what about registered trademark issues? It's so complicated legally I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Your naïveté is adorable.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

I worked an unpaid internship (even though I wasn't a student, I literally just wanted it for my resume) and my boss' business model was based around how much he could get away with ripping off and repackaging. I wish I was kidding.

stoneb
Jan 8, 2009

by angerbotSD
Hi! I graduate in May with my degree in graphic design and am trying to plan for graduate school. I've posted in this thread before for ideas, and it was suggested to me that I talk to professors or counselors at my university. Unfortunately, nobody at school has been of any help, and I'd appreciate it if anybody here could throw me some names of decent/good/great schools that I can take a closer look at. I'm financing my education all by myself, and trying to keep it under $50-60k, so public universities are very attractive.

So far, the attractive schools I've found have been Virginia Commonwealth University, North Carolina State University, University of Michigan, and York University (in Toronto).

Anything at all would be very helpful to me. Personal experiences, random hearsay, whatever. Thanks in advance :)

stoneb fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 3, 2009

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

pipes! posted:

Ignorance is bliss. Can't wait to meet the real world.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

pipes! posted:

Not everyone is like that.

At the print shop I worked with a making GBS threads hell of a lot of clients who would ask me to copy a competitor’s logo like-for-like, copy a poster, etc etc. As a web designer I’ve had people asking me to copy a competitor’s content/layout/etc.

But not everyone is like that and I take it as my job as a communications designer to educate those willing to listen on the value of a strong brand identity.

Of course most small business owners are absolute morons which is why they’re failing so badly in the recession but hey.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
They sure are, and it's worse the smaller the town is (as they don't have to compete on business aesthetics, just on location or whatever). I've seen literally thousands of businesses in my 8 year career who just picked a "logo" out of a royalty free clipart book and called it good. Or worse, had their sister or whoever draw it for them. :sigh: Most business owners really are very very bad at running businesses which is why over 90% of new businesses don't make it past the two year mark. It's your goal as a designer to find clients who are good fits for you, not just find clients. Dumb down your aspirations and your work and clients will follow suit.

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
Are there any schools in Texas with a 3D animation program worth a drat? I go to the University of North Texas, taking art classes. There's a program here called New Media which is about a year old, so there is no student work shown, and the statement on their website is fairly vague. It says it deals with "time based media, gaming, robotics, computational art, animation and programming for internet based interactive experiences". I'm pretty hesitant because:

1. Some kid in the Communication Design program was saying how a professor during lecture asked how many people wanted to animate, and the one kid that raised his hand was suggested to leave North Texas.
2. The program itself seems shady. We've seen presentations from the heads of all art departments except for the New Media. Counselors I've talked to had very little to say about it, other than that if I want to do any sort of animation, this is my best bet at this school.
3. I'm leaning towards wanting to do character design/animation over effects, but I've had little experience doing effects so I'm not definite. I'm mainly confused with what New Media will cover since it seems like a pretty broad spectrum. I'm going to shoot the head of the program an email and see if there's the option to focus on something or not.

I'm already splitting loans with my dad to go here, but I'm afraid that going out of state, let alone an art school like SCAD, is just something I can't afford.
I've heard that A&M has a surprisingly good 3D program called Visualization Sciences or something like that. Does anyone know anything like that?

Sorry for the wall of text. I've been getting pretty discouraged lately about this school, and reading through this thread makes me feel like I'm going to have a very little chance of making it anywhere without going to a really good art school. I get to take the intro to New Media next semester which will seal the deal of whether or not I'm going to transfer.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?

stoneb posted:

Hi! I graduate in May with my degree in graphic design and am trying to plan for graduate school. I've posted in this thread before for ideas, and it was suggested to me that I talk to professors or counselors at my university. Unfortunately, nobody at school has been of any help, and I'd appreciate it if anybody here could throw me some names of decent/good/great schools that I can take a closer look at. I'm financing my education all by myself, and trying to keep it under $50-60k, so public universities are very attractive.

So far, the attractive schools I've found have been Virginia Commonwealth University, North Carolina State University, University of Michigan, and York University (in Toronto).

Anything at all would be very helpful to me. Personal experiences, random hearsay, whatever. Thanks in advance :)

I graduated from Michigan about 6 years ago with two degrees, neither creative. I don't know which program you're wanting to apply to at UMich but anything in the school of art and architecture will be good. Don't go there if you want to save money, though - Michigan is one of (if not the) most expensive public schools in the nation, especially for out of state. They do fully fund their MFAs but...I think they accept what like 10 a year? haha? good luck with that.

I will say this, now that I am stuck taking art classes at a piece of poo poo state school I really appreciate Michigan more. The teachers were better, the infrastructure was better and there was less beurocratic bullshit - it exists, theres just less of it than where I am now (AZ State.)

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

stoneb posted:

Are you wanting teach? I heard a master's isn't necessary unless you want to be a teacher.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

stoneb
Jan 8, 2009

by angerbotSD

Beat. posted:

They do fully fund their MFAs but...I think they accept what like 10 a year? haha? good luck with that.
yea but that's pretty much standard from what I've seen. I'm expecting intense competition, and will probably be taking a year off from school to build my portfolio.

Are you wanting teach? I heard a master's isn't necessary unless you want to be a teacher.

I do not want to teach, but I do want to be the absolute best I can at what I do, which I think grad school will be a huge part of. The graphic design program at my school is honestly pretty weak and I'm hoping to fill in the gaps with an MFA.

stoneb fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 23, 2009

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

qirex posted:

Nobody gets paid to just relax and screw around with fun software all day though.
Oh look! Somebody's not made it to management yet.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

stoneb posted:

I do not want to teach, but I do want to be the absolute best I can at what I do, which I think grad school will be a huge part of. The graphic design program at my school is honestly pretty weak and I'm hoping to fill in the gaps with an MFA.
More school will not make you a better designer, getting out there and hustling and doing real projects will. There's no part of the academic environment that could possibly substitute for working experience. If you're not paying for it and you want to chill out for a couple years that's fine but don't be surprised when, MFA in hand you get passed over for people with no formal training but a portfolio of actual commercial work.

magnificent7 posted:

Oh look! Somebody's not made it to management yet.
Management just means you don't have time to design anything but still have to do it anyway. The real world isn't Dilbert.

Prylex3
Apr 22, 2003

stoneb posted:

My school sucked too. So I found a different, better school. But honestly, I have learned the most from work experience. If you are pretty set on taking classes, why don't you look for some sort of certificate program? There seems to be quite a few programs like that which art/design schools offer, but are not nearly as expensive as a masters program.

I am not sure how the design field treats formal education, but I have had a few friends in the writing field that were declined jobs because they have their masters. Something about having a large education but no work experience. But I suppose you could just leave the MFA off your resume if that is the case here. Good luck with your decision though. Education seems like a tricky subject in our field.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

stoneb posted:

Your best experience is real world experience. It's why I'm taking a year longer to finish my BFA because there are so many internships available. I'm interviewing for anything that pops open. I have already had two in college and I'm going into my fifth interview during my college career. I'm hoping to get 3/5 :D

Also, learn more programs and other things outside of design. I was hired to my previous internship because I had some animation experience and my boss was in love with Pixar.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Hey guys,
I want to get better at my photography and decided to learn more about the fundamentals of art and design. My local community college is out of my budget right now at $300 per course. Suggestions on books I can start with? Are there online courses that would fit me? Kind of looking for something a little more structured than wandering through design blogs.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Hey guys,
I want to get better at my photography and decided to learn more about the fundamentals of art and design. My local community college is out of my budget right now at $300 per course. Suggestions on books I can start with? Are there online courses that would fit me? Kind of looking for something a little more structured than wandering through design blogs.

Here's a book that definitely fits in the whole "fundamentals of art" slot: http://books.google.com/books?id=aS...page&q=&f=false

This was the main text of not one, but two of my art history courses in college. It'll give you a good grounding. It's not "fundamentals of art" as in: here's how you make a good composition, here's how you choose colors, etc. But just having at least a basic knowledge of art history will help your work immensely.

It'd probably still be a good idea to take a couple classes if you can swing it, though. It's one thing to learn about the rule of thirds, or to be told "Michaelangelo did some awesome poo poo, here, look at it", it's a completely different thing when you're forced to think critically about it, express opinions on it and back them up, etc... all of which a good class would make you do, and all of which will make you think critically about your own work.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Definitely not, a lot of the "best" desigeners out there now just have their bachelors. Paula Scher, for example, only has a BFA, and she's an insanely successful designer (granted I don't like her work much...)

Masters degrees are for teaching. Practicing is for doing.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Do art schools consider GPA improvement? I started Freshmen High School with a horrid, 2.0 GPA year average. Yet since then, I've improved slightly each year. Now that I'm a senior I seem to be working with a 3.0. Yet I'm still stuck with around a 2.4 GPA.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 2, 2009

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

If you submit a good admission portfolio chances are you will get in regardless of your GPA or SAT scores.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
To extent GPA does matter. I suppose you could disprove that with an absolutely outstanding portfolio, but thinking your art is somehow radically better than everyone elses, probably isn't the best strategy. Its probably in best thinking that they will still take into account your GPA.

Oh, and speaking of that. Does Creative Convention do any sort of portfolio critique?

zaepg fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 2, 2009

ge.hale
Feb 1, 2006
Hey all, great thread. I do have a couple of questions for anyone that can answer them: are there any recommended schools for graphic design in the DFW metroplex? Also, what is the design job market like for fresh graduates in the metroplex? Thanks to anyone that can answer.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

zaepg posted:

Oh, and speaking of that. Does Creative Convention do any sort of portfolio critique?

Definitely. If you feel like you need feedback for a specific project (like a portfolio), feel free to create a thread about it.

My Cakes are LOL
Jan 14, 2008

How could the devil turn the blue sky black?
How many babies born will ever reach their dreams?
And how could a person call another person wack?
My apologies if this has already been brought up anywhere, but does anyone know anything about the Hallmark Institute of Photography in Turners Falls, MA? They've been pretty pushy and trying to get me to come interview since I asked for more information about their program, and I'm not really sure of their credibility. They seem really legit, if expensive. Anyone have any experience with them?

Greve
Nov 7, 2007
Theory Genesis
I'd like to add my own request:

Masters of Architecture. I want it. I have a Bachelors of Science in Political Science with a 3.0 GPA. Is it possible to get in to a m.Arch school? I have no relevant work experience for Architecture, but my undergrad never offered any architectural training and it is always something I wanted to pursue. Any words of advice?

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Does anyone have any experience with Academy of Art University in San Francisco? I was planning on taking a few courses to improve my sorry design skills, build up my portfolio, and make a few Bay Area contacts. I'm more interested in expanding my practical knowledge than getting another design degree.

How much are courses there, and are they any good? How's their job placement program?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KittenofDoom posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Academy of Art University in San Francisco? I was planning on taking a few courses to improve my sorry design skills, build up my portfolio, and make a few Bay Area contacts. I'm more interested in expanding my practical knowledge than getting another design degree.

How much are courses there, and are they any good? How's their job placement program?
I won't post my usual rant but it's incredibly expensive and I've never heard anything good about their job placement program.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

qirex posted:

I won't post my usual rant but it's incredibly expensive and I've never heard anything good about their job placement program.
Thanks! I read through a few posts that mentioned this school specifically, including a few from Yelp, and it seems like I might be able to go the self-improvement route. It's certainly more affordable.

Err, on second thought, if I were to pursue a MFA in illustration with the intent of someday teaching college, is there a decent Northern California school for that? AAU has that option too, but I still have my doubts about the place (although there's talk of their illustration program being good). The CSU system up here in Northern California seems to be a bit lacking in art programs. Are there any good art schools in Northern California (not just the Bay Area) that aren't nearly as expensive as AAU?

KittenofDoom fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 9, 2009

eldiablito
Feb 12, 2004
nothing exciting...

quietthings posted:

Hey all, great thread. I do have a couple of questions for anyone that can answer them: are there any recommended schools for graphic design in the DFW metroplex? Also, what is the design job market like for fresh graduates in the metroplex? Thanks to anyone that can answer.

I would suggest interning while in school to get your foot in some kind of door. As for schools in the area I would look at UNT.

UTD, UTA, TCU and SMU have great studio art programs but not sure about graphic design.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Has anyone done a placement abroad?

I know people who have gone to NYC (from London) for placements but has anyone gone places they don't speak the language?

I'm so tempted to go to Germany or Switzerland but meine Deutsch is patchy at best - will the language barrier be a massive problem? I guess everyone can speak English...

Prylex3
Apr 22, 2003

Zurich posted:

Has anyone done a placement abroad?

I know people who have gone to NYC (from London) for placements but has anyone gone places they don't speak the language?

I'm so tempted to go to Germany or Switzerland but meine Deutsch is patchy at best - will the language barrier be a massive problem? I guess everyone can speak English...

I have not, but think it would be killer to learn some art/design overseas in a totally different culture.

Prylex3
Apr 22, 2003

A lot of this thread is about prospective schools, and which to choose. I need advice whether I should finish school.

Here is the my backstory:
I have been in school for six and a half years. I am currently pursuing a BFA in web/interactive design. My first four years were spent in a completely unrelated field. The next two were spent taking some fundamental art and design (mostly print) classes. I felt the state school I was at did not challenge me enough, and the graduate portfolios sucked. I now attend SCAD, which seems promising. I recently started an internship at an awesome agency that deals with your Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 clients. Your typical sports, technology, and alcohol stuff. There is an offer for me to start as an entry level creative. Should I take this, there is limited opportunity to finish school. Which isn't terrible, I am pretty tired of going to school.

Is it stupid to quit though? I ask this because SCAD has such a hefty price tag. While all the interactive guys at work say it is an awesome school, I am not convinced being in massive debt is worth it. I am not really fluent in the industry, but if I graduate SCAD and get a little bump in pay because I have a better portfolio, isn't that offset by the fact that I am 60K in debt? I have always wanted to gain experience and work on big name stuff, and here is my chance. I just don't want to quit school and regret it later. Or feel like I could have done better by sticking with school. I can still work and finish school to a certain degree, but to learn at work what I am paying to learn in school seems foolish. Will I be hurt later down the road if I don't have that little BFA next to my name? What does everyone think?

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
What sort of 'entry level creative'? What will you be doing?

I was so, so tempted over the summer to drop out and take up a junior designer position at somewhere I worked - it was cool and creative, but in the end I decided to finish my degree because I'm gay and would miss my friends and stuff (and I want a better portfolio).

Saying that if the right job came around again I'd consider it.

What I wouldn't consider is dropping out for a deadend artworker position, which is what loads of my friends have done from college (I think the equivalent to your community college?) to uni - stupid idea and you're not going to grow as a designer.

How much have you got left of your degree? What units? What's your portfolio like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ecojiro Desu
Feb 19, 2005
What do people have to say about Rhode Island School of Design's Graphic Arts offerings at the MA level? Specifically, how does it compare to other programs?