Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Well drat I guess it's time to refill the ol' Paypal again already. It's rather disappointing not seeing Incredible Toons/Toon Machine in there, but then again TIM 3.0 was always my favourite of the bunch.

Now I wish I'd saved all those puzzles I made offhandedly over the years. :( I came up with some pretty devious poo poo.

Doesn't contraptions use the same puzzles as 2/3.0? I remember buying a re-release that had not quite as nice pre-rendered 3d objects but the puzzles were identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Weekend promo: All four Tex Murphy games are 30% off

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

OptimusShr posted:

Weekend promo: All four Tex Murphy games are 30% off

Awesome I've been waiting for this one. Tell me which one is the best.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

Overwined posted:

Awesome I've been waiting for this one. Tell me which one is the best.

I think when they first came to GoG people were recommending Under A Killing Moon, but are the others worth picking up too?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
They're all recommended, except for the first two games.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Charlie Mopps posted:

New release: the incredible machine mega pack for :10bux:
Argh I'm so close to buying this, almost only for the soundtrack extras. Sweet jesus I loved these games or the first one anyway.

edit: And Tex Murphy too. Sigh. Trying real hard not to buy anything

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Snowmanatee posted:

I think when they first came to GoG people were recommending Under A Killing Moon, but are the others worth picking up too?

Mean Streets is probably the worst of the bunch due to the gunfight sequences and the arcade flight-sim portion, but since a great portion of it is covered in Overseer you aren't missing too much (though there are some references from the original that may be lost in Overseer.) However, if you're alright with writing notes down on paper then you should get through the game fine.

The other games are great but they suffer from "missing seemingly unimportant items that are in fact very important later in the game" syndrome. With the exception for Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum, you will need a hintbook if you hope to beat the series.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Entorwellian posted:

The other games are great but they suffer from "missing seemingly unimportant items that are in fact very important later in the game" syndrome. With the exception for Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum, you will need a hintbook if you hope to beat the series.

Are you insane? The games even have an in-game hint feature if you're stuck.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Grawl posted:

Are you insane? The games even have an in-game hint feature if you're stuck.

Under a Killing Moon wasn't too bad but Pandora Directive had me frustrated beyond belief. I highly recommend using a walkthrough for it. There were so many opportunities to bring the game to a halt by missing an important item that was near-impossible to find.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Entorwellian posted:

Mean Streets is probably the worst of the bunch due to the gunfight sequences and the arcade flight-sim portion, but since a great portion of it is covered in Overseer you aren't missing too much (though there are some references from the original that may be lost in Overseer.) However, if you're alright with writing notes down on paper then you should get through the game fine.

I played Overseer back in the day and hardly ever needed to use the hint system. I got Tex Murphy 1+2 from GOG recently and sure, they're old as hell, but the gunfights can be switched to "easy" mode and thanks to the autopilot, you don't even need to get into the flight-sim part and can just sit back and update your Excel file with all the notes while you're in the air :D I'm really surprised how much fun Mean Streets is (haven't plyed MM yet, but I read that it's even better and without gunfights and the flight-sim), so if you have $6 to spare at some point I'd also pick it up.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I haven't played Overseer yet, but I completed the first four and Mean Streets was actually my favorite. It was much more about going around and investigating, cross examining, and doing general gumshoe stuff rather than solving puzzles. My buddy and I had pages and pages of notes about each character, if we think he's lying, etc. etc. I liked Under a Killing Moon, but I feel like Mean Streets just really captured the private eye pastiche the best. Good plot twists and surprises.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Billy Gnosis posted:

Doesn't contraptions use the same puzzles as 2/3.0? I remember buying a re-release that had not quite as nice pre-rendered 3d objects but the puzzles were identical.

Yeah I think after 3.0 (or maybe 2.0, I dunno I never had that one) they stopped really making new puzzles and just repackaged the whole deal with a new coat of paint every now and then. Or the main selection of puzzles, anyway -- there may have been different bonus puzzles added.

Still, 90% of the fun was making your own puzzles and swapping with friends.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Still, 90% of the fun was making your own puzzles and swapping with friends.

For me the fun came in making enormous machines of death and torture and then filling it up with Mels. Making an enormous sphere of bumpers, setting gravity off and watching the carnage never gets old.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Hidden gem of this week: Arx Fatalis for $4.99

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

FLX posted:

Hidden gem of this week: Arx Fatalis for $4.99

Well hey, I was going to get this sometime this week anyway, now I have even more motivation to do so.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Commandos: Ammo Pack (includes Beyond The Call Of Duty expansion pack) has just been released for $5.99.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Well, I picked up Arx Fatalis and it's great when it wants to work. I either have to choose between using my native resolution and getting fatal memory errors with some regularity, or playing at 1280x800 in Windows 98 compatibility mode (I'm using Vista). I don't regret getting it for $5, but it's the first game I've gotten from GoG that's has issues like this.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

sethsez posted:

Well, I picked up Arx Fatalis and it's great when it wants to work. I either have to choose between using my native resolution and getting fatal memory errors with some regularity, or playing at 1280x800 in Windows 98 compatibility mode (I'm using Vista). I don't regret getting it for $5, but it's the first game I've gotten from GoG that's has issues like this.

I get all these weird issues with the game being horribly choppy when in a screen with a lot of text like the character stat screen. On top of this, I have weird cpu issues so that the game runs super drat fast and then slows down to normal speed suddenly. Can't find any solutions online or on the gog forums...

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is PLanescape: Torment avalable through GOG? If not is there anywhere I can still get it?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Blodskur posted:

Commandos: Ammo Pack (includes Beyond The Call Of Duty expansion pack) has just been released for $5.99.

Oh no, not Commandos. I could never get into those games since it was basically a frustrating puzzle where you had to figure out exactly what the developers wanted you to do, and if you deviated at all, instant death. It wasn't fun back when it first came out, and I can't imagine it aged well.

Then again, I was 13 or so. Should I give this game a second chance?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

BigRed0427 posted:

Is PLanescape: Torment avalable through GOG? If not is there anywhere I can still get it?

It's on Ebay, but I'll sell you it for a thousand ($10000) American Dollars.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

Oh no, not Commandos. I could never get into those games since it was basically a frustrating puzzle where you had to figure out exactly what the developers wanted you to do, and if you deviated at all, instant death. It wasn't fun back when it first came out, and I can't imagine it aged well.

I remember having a lot of fun with Commandos back when it was new, but back then I also just used to cheat like hell and gently caress around in any game. So I probably just went invincible and killed everything, I always had a hard time figuring out what to do with it.

So what I'm saying is basically that I know no more than you, I guess.

Placebo
Sep 21, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

It's on gametap, but last time I used gametap it was so buggy I just got my money back.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Grawl posted:

It's on Ebay, but I'll sell you it for a thousand ($10000) American Dollars.

I'll sell it for only 5000.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Looking for a strategy game to run on my netbook. Never played either of these, but they both look great: Patrician III or Stronghold? I realize they're sort of different types of strategy, but I'm sure I'll like either one so if anyone has any recommendation I'm all ears. I've read in reviews that both of these games run on netbooks just fine, so unless anyone has any experience otherwise I don't think that's a factor.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Stronghold is good, the follow-up Stronghold: Crusader is fantastic.

Never played Patrician III but I've played Port Royale. If you love managing a merchant empire and auto trade routes and such, if you like fighting not so much. Apparently PR is the more combat oriented one but both those games are in the genre of "spreadsheets lol." Good if you're in an OCD mood.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I used to run Stronghold: Crusader on a piece of poo poo laptop that makes a netbook look like HAL 9000. I like it a ton because of the castle builder mode, since I can make ludicrous amounts of money and resources, and finish with over 100 million in gold, as many stockpiles as possible (mostly full, as well) and have this done over 1000 in-game years.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

You can shoot your way through Commandos by simply setting up a choke point and waiting for enemies do charge in a straight line. The fun in the game is executing your plan perfectly which does require trial and error but if you ever get frustrated understand that taking the action route isn't necessarily suicide.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Captain Novolin posted:

I used to run Stronghold: Crusader on a piece of poo poo laptop that makes a netbook look like HAL 9000. I like it a ton because of the castle builder mode, since I can make ludicrous amounts of money and resources, and finish with over 100 million in gold, as many stockpiles as possible (mostly full, as well) and have this done over 1000 in-game years.

Hah, a thousand years of slavish castle-building, wood cutting, stone quarrying and bread-baking, and everyone's still in the middle ages. Yep, Crusader doesn't provide a lasting challenge but it has an interesting skirmish mode and it is fun as all gently caress to just screw around with. Best way to play is to use custom maps in multiplayer to build gimmick mega-castles with friends.

Really wish there were a way to ramp up the endgame challenge though.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

BigRed0427 posted:

Due to an absolute clusterfuck of licensing issues, it looks like Planescape will likely never see re-release anywhere.

EDIT: I was wrong about the others.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 7, 2009

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
To be fair, the BG and IWD games get rereleased fairly often. The problem is PS:T.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
New release: Red baron Pack for :10bux:. Pack includes Red Baron 1, Red Baron: Mission Builder, and Red Baron 3D (a heavily patched version of Red Baron 2)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I hope these Dynamix games means that there is hope of seeing games like Rise of the Dragon for sale. That game was the bomb, and I hope that I can play it again with ease.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

New release: Red baron Pack for :10bux:. Pack includes Red Baron 1, Red Baron: Mission Builder, and Red Baron 3D (a heavily patched version of Red Baron 2)

I liked the first Red Baron back then ... like way way way back then. So, how is Red Baron 3D? Worth the $9,99 (WTF?!) pricetag?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

FLX posted:

I liked the first Red Baron back then ... like way way way back then. So, how is Red Baron 3D? Worth the $9,99 (WTF?!) pricetag?
Very very expensive, especially compared to Red Baron 3D, but have you seen Rise of Flight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB-0ImSpQhw

Problem is it only comes with two planes, and they expect you to buy the rest as DLC.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Red Baron 1 was (is?) freeware for the longest time I can remember. I played it when it was released on Computer Gaming World's freeware disc. I'd wait for a price drop before scooping it up.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Just saw this topic for the first time, very tempted to buy a few. Maybe when I get paid.

I would love to see them pick up old obscure Sierra titles at some point though. I think someone threw out my Cyberstorm and Fast Attack discs.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Entorwellian posted:

Red Baron 1 was (is?) freeware

Abandon ware. That's not legal, although it's highly unlikely anyway will bother to sue you.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Grawl posted:

Abandon ware. That's not legal, although it's highly unlikely anyway will bother to sue you.

Actually I'm pretty sure he's right and it was officially released as freeware a while back, possibly to promote Red Baron II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
So is the Red Baron series genuinely good? I think my most favourite flight game was Knights of the Sky for the good old Amiga. there's just something nice about flying those old WW1 planes.