Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

gently caress Buttons and Zun Zun Egui in Lancaster :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
I love love love the lines going on in that 2nd shot. Holy poo poo.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Was going to go to that. Saw it on Prestone but was doing something else :(

Ace shots.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

It turned out really well, I was just shooting as a favour to my friend who did the booking. I'll get around to uploading the load to flickr sometime.
Where are you based, thehustler?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

thehustler posted:

In smaller venues, I find it much easier to take those interesting shots. Of course, it helps having the nice lenses to get the fast shutter speed too. I've lost count of the amount of shots I've had to thrown away because of excessive blurriness when they could have been amazing :(

Wait a minute, you've got a 5DMkII and f/2.8 lenses and you're griping about equipment?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
The Bronx:

hosed Up:

pretty bad motion blur on this one unfortunately.

"did somebody lose an ipod? what was playing on it? yup, Aesop Rock, here you go!"

not sure which of these I like better, I think the first one but like his expression better in the second.

showing his junk to the drummer

more here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinkent/sets/72157622435061244/

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
It loving sucks when you miss out on a press pass to the photo pit, here are some shots of Metric from the middle of the crowd:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Shooting a lot lately, breaking in my new toys. A show I shot Friday, Round Robin - 4 bands, one in each corner, each plays a song and then they go to the next, etc.

What pleases me is how little post I felt was needed, besides a few WB mixups and a couple push/pulls (hardly any, dynamic range/high ISO is a beauty.) Love it.

pwn fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 1, 2009

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

HPL posted:

Wait a minute, you've got a 5DMkII and f/2.8 lenses and you're griping about equipment?

The telephoto lens was only a f/4.5. I usually borrow a f/2.8 but the guy I borrow it off left my place of work for good last month.

Also, the autofocus on my 24-70 f/2.8 is a bit lovely because it jams sometimes and I have to give it a helping hand manually. Is that easily repairable? I'm worried because I bought it second hand.

So mostly my best lens was the Canon 50mm prime f/1.8.

Also the 5dmk2 was just borrowed from work, usually i use a 400D :( The 5dmk2 did of course help with the low light shots because I could bump up the ISO, but they were noisey as gently caress :(

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

It turned out really well, I was just shooting as a favour to my friend who did the booking. I'll get around to uploading the load to flickr sometime.
Where are you based, thehustler?

From Blackpool originally, live in Preston now. And I work at UCLAN so I have equipment to borrow :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

pwn posted:

Shooting a lot lately, breaking in my new toys. A show I shot Friday, Round Robin - 4 bands, one in each corner, each plays a song and then they go to the next, etc.

Awesome shots.

That idea is very much like the BBC TV series "Later... with Jools Holland" here in the UK, but I've never seen it applied to a proper concert style thing.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Went to Busch Gardens, an amusement park in Williamsburg, Va, over the weekend. This concert was called Frankenrock, where they cover pop songs like Smash Mouth and Spice Girls dressed as monsters. It was pretty cheesy, but the light was ooh sooo interesting. It was a circular stage, I was able to just walk around it. I was sitting in the back with some friends, but when the lighting got turned on, I had to get up and take some photos. I actually pretended like I was at a big music festival. I loved being able to get low and wide for the first time in a concert setting with my Tammy 17-50, goddamn it is a mythically awesome lens.

this guys all, "wtf is he doing actin all like a serious photographer, i just see grannies with point and shoots all day"

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Here's a few shots from the show I shot on Tuesday. (own hosting)

Chthonic

Bleeding Through

Satyricon

I'm going to have a crapload of photos coming up in the next few days. I'm shooting 3 shows in 3 days. Metallica and Lamb of God on Saturday, Cold and Nonpoint on Sunday, and Lamb of God and GWAR on Monday. This ought to be a fun few days.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I have never seen Gwar live, but they ought to be got-dang reedickulous, have you worked with them before?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I have never seen Gwar live, but they ought to be got-dang reedickulous, have you worked with them before?

Yeah, I've shot them before, but the trouble with GWAR is that they don't exactly show mercy for people in the photo pit, so if you're brave enough to go in there, expect to get fake blood all over your gear. To get the best photos of them, you'd probably want an underwater camera housing. Even just one of the sealed bag style ones. I'm probably just gonna stay out of the pit and shoot with my 70-200. Getting photos of crowd surfers on their way out of the barricade is usually a good time too.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

rockcity posted:

Here's a few shots from the show I shot on Tuesday. (own hosting)

Chthonic

Bleeding Through

Satyricon

I'm going to have a crapload of photos coming up in the next few days. I'm shooting 3 shows in 3 days. Metallica and Lamb of God on Saturday, Cold and Nonpoint on Sunday, and Lamb of God and GWAR on Monday. This ought to be a fun few days.

Ahh so that was you in the photo pit. Did you get any Toxic Holocaust photos?

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I shot them tonight. Lamb of God was there too- will screw with those pictures later.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Haggins posted:

Ahh so that was you in the photo pit. Did you get any Toxic Holocaust photos?

Yep, that was me. No, I actually didn't get any of Toxic Holocaust I was talking with a couple of people outside when they went on and just decided to pass on shooting them. It was nice that they were letting me shoot as long as I wanted though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Here's a few quick shots from Metallica last night in Tampa.

Yes, their light rigs are in fact mounted on moving coffins.

Knux
May 18, 2003

ask me about my cock ring
Got to shoot another round of Blink again :)

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
Local band - with a speedlight and a reflector.

Cross-posted from the Urbex thread:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I like 2, but not the post-processing of it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Can we have sort of a gentlemens agreement to keep the number of photos to three or four per post? The pages get pretty massive after a while.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HPL posted:

Can we have sort of a gentlemens agreement to keep the number of photos to three or four per post? The pages get pretty massive after a while.

I'm good with that. You can always link to an external host if you want to show more.

Knux
May 18, 2003

ask me about my cock ring

Anti_Social posted:

This shot is the most unique bar far (which is kind of hard to do these days with all these random band photos) but if the lighting was a little more focused on the guys in the front it would be one of my favorites from the thread. The guy in the back getting hit by the sun looks amazing while the other guys look a bit dull (not to mention a few are hiding their faces too much). But hey, I realize you only had a speedlight and reflector so it's all good.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

Knux posted:

This shot is the most unique bar far (which is kind of hard to do these days with all these random band photos)

I definitely have to agree with you on that point, but it also strikes me as the only shot that the band is actively enjoying and playing around with. You've got so much potential in that spot I was frantically wishing you were holding out on us and had parked it right there for a while and just let them monkey around. Also, love the (mostly) all white t-shirts for that one.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
I just found out I got a photo pass for the Flogging Molly Gig next thursday! I gotta go buy a 50/1.8 now! I'm super pumped as this will be my first bigger band. and I made a good contact!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Saw this girl "Mirrah" support another band the other night, I don't like hip-hop but she was pretty awesome.

She also posed for a couple of portraits for me:

Born in Australia, ancestry is half african/half thai. Lived in the US for 15 years and moved back to Sydney recently.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The Tokina 11-16 proved to be a life-saver last night. Small venue, tight crowd, right smack up next to the band. Got full body shots like this even from a foot or two away:

There were times I would be framing a waist-up photo and look up from the camera and be like "GAH!" because the singer was practically in my face.

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK
Empire of the Sun.

The Rapture

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
It's pretty much impossible to tell what's going on in those first two photos. Aside from the hard to make out microphones, I'd be hard pressed to tell you that was a concert if I saw that photo.

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK

rockcity posted:

It's pretty much impossible to tell what's going on in those first two photos. Aside from the hard to make out microphones, I'd be hard pressed to tell you that was a concert if I saw that photo.

That's the idea. Concert/live music photos are boring.

:)

Edit: I should have probably expanded on my statement here, but basically I find the vast majority of concert photography boring, unimaginative and a lot of times, technically poor.

I think people need to think outside the box and explore more of a fine art approach to capturing such imagery as a way to both differentiate your own work and to just simply make the photos interesting to look at - as a way to better engage the viewer.

But trying to make these photos "arty" is something I would do, that's just my predisposition.

Already Bored fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 13, 2009

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

Already Bored posted:

That's the idea. Concert/live music photos are boring.

:)

Yeah, you may as well put your own aesthetic spin on things, because if you're shooting for purely documentary purposes you'd probably be much better served doing video.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
As much as it fits Empire Of The Sun's music to a T, it's not really a great photo.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Already Bored posted:

Edit: I should have probably expanded on my statement here, but basically I find the vast majority of concert photography boring, unimaginative and a lot of times, technically poor.

I think people need to think outside the box and explore more of a fine art approach to capturing such imagery as a way to both differentiate your own work and to just simply make the photos interesting to look at - as a way to better engage the viewer.

But trying to make these photos "arty" is something I would do, that's just my predisposition.

Technically, yours are very poor too, but fortunately technicality isn't the be all and end all of photography. I appreciate what you were trying to do in the first two photos and they are striking as abstract photographs.

The key thing to remember is that when you're photographing bigger bands, you often don't have the control over the situation that you would like. For instance, you need to crank out at least two or three editorial photos for a publication while under whatever limits the venue or promoter places on the photographers like three songs, no flash, shoot from the soundboard only blah blah blah. We're on assignment and there to do work. If we're stuck photographing some clown that spends the whole concert standing in one spot staring at his feet and the lights are poo poo, then that's the way it's going to be.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

HPL posted:

Technically, yours are very poor too, but fortunately technicality isn't the be all and end all of photography. I appreciate what you were trying to do in the first two photos and they are striking as abstract photographs.

I'd argue that the technical merit of a photograph is based on whether you properly used the equipment available to you to reach the aesthetic ends you intended. This isn't some exercise in gathering the most data.

HPL posted:

The key thing to remember is that when you're photographing bigger bands, you often don't have the control over the situation that you would like. For instance, you need to crank out at least two or three editorial photos for a publication while under whatever limits the venue or promoter places on the photographers like three songs, no flash, shoot from the soundboard only blah blah blah. We're on assignment and there to do work. If we're stuck photographing some clown that spends the whole concert standing in one spot staring at his feet and the lights are poo poo, then that's the way it's going to be.

I don't want to antagonize you needlessly, I just want to be clear, but other than maybe the Subhumans, and then only locally here in Vancouver, The Rapture are way bigger than any band you've got up in your portfolio at the moment. They are an international touring act that, in local terms, could easily sell out the Commodore ballroom at the drop of a hat.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dunno posted:

I don't want to antagonize you needlessly, I just want to be clear, but other than maybe the Subhumans, and then only locally here in Vancouver, The Rapture are way bigger than any band you've got up in your portfolio at the moment. They are an international touring act that, in local terms, could easily sell out the Commodore ballroom at the drop of a hat.
I've done bigger names like Black Label Society. I don't have them on my website because it was for something else. I've actually had some of my stuff in print and on equipment web sites like Fender and PRS.

My website is largely stuff I shoot for kicks. I could photograph more bigger names if I wanted to, I just choose not to because it involves a lot of nonsense that I don't feel like putting up with all the time and frankly I just don't have as much fun photographing big concerts because of that nonsense. It becomes too much of a grind and a job as opposed to fun like it should be.

I am a person that goes to shows to see the bands, have a few beers and take some photos. I'm not trying to elevate it to anything grander than that. I shoot some concerts on film because it's fun and different and has that neat old-school feel, not because I'm trying to be the Henri Cartier-Bresson of concerts. If my stuff is boring, then so be it. Lots of other folks seem to dig it.

I wasn't slagging your photos. I was saying that if you base them purely on technical merit, they're weak but artistically I like them.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...
Those aren't my photos, they're Already Bored's, I was jsut happy to see something a bit more... interpretative... in this thread.

edit:

I normally don't shoot a lot of music, but one of the local indie scene's most tireless and dedicated documentarians is on vacation for a couple of months so I've been covering what I feel would otherwise go uncovered, as well as what I randomly end up at and a couple of assignments for local music rags.

local fast, short and sweet punk faves the b-lines playing the second to last show at Vancouver's hardcore and metal sanctuary, The Cobalt, before it closes:

Genius/GZA, from Wu-Tang (a friend of a friend of mine unexpectedly ended up opening this, so we ended up guestlisted for this college show where we were 3 years older than anybody and only knew the opening "talent" and some kids from the radio station).

Dan Werb (of Woodhands) and Edo van Breeman (of Brasstronaut, the Clips and the manager for Japandroids) performing Brasstronaut's "Old World Lies" as an impromptu encore at a little Piano songs show at a local record store.

I wish I could have managed a better angle, but I already felt self conscious hitting the shutter, as it was an un-amplified piano and I had just been shoved into this chair by the promoter...

dunno fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 14, 2009

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

We went to Holland this week, just to take pictures of the godfather of Doom Metal, Bobby Liebling of Pentagram. Much too high podium for photos, junkies trying to steal camera's and spitting in my girlfriends throat, but at least we got some pictures:

http://www.barbaraperemans.be/music/pentagram

He looked like he could collapse any second, but he sure knew how to entertain an audience.

Sterf fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Next pay check I'm buying a 1.8 50mm with auto-focus. I missed some great shots tonight because I couldn't get the focus in time.
Like this one.

(And gently caress red lights)

ALSO gently caress shooting from the crowd. Captain drunks-a-lot and his gay tattoos jumping on your back and trying to shove you out of the way is a pain in the rear end.

Four Banger fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 16, 2009