Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Arashikage posted:

Sounds like something http://pianobooster.sourceforge.net/ could do

This is great, thanks for posting. It really beats cueing up a recording in an audio editor and looping, which is how I've gone about learning new pieces up til now :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl

snorch posted:

This is great, thanks for posting. It really beats cueing up a recording in an audio editor and looping, which is how I've gone about learning new pieces up til now :)

I haven't actually tried it out yet, I found an 17 inch LCD monitor in the basement when I was home for the summer which I brought with me back to my dorm room. Now I'm just waiting for the 5m VGA cable and VESA wall mount I bought on eBay to arrive and I'll mount it in front of my digital piano. Want to try out this software, and also use it to read music off of.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Wow, okay so here is a weird little story but it does relate to this thread so bear with me while I waste time at work to retell it. (Skip to the end for the piano questions...)

Last night I had one of my bouts of insomnia. (Enjoyed a grand total of 1 hour of sleep. Work today has been fun, fun, fun.) Anyways, I'm currently in the process of getting myself a condo and whilst swimming in the depths of my foggy dreams, rambling thoughts and incoherent visions as I tossed and turned restlessly. I envisioned what the inside of my new place would be like. You see, I've basically been living in a single bedroom for the past three years saving money and putting up with a roommate who sort of dominates the rest of our lovely apartment so fantasizing about all the awesome furniture I would deck out my new place with... was good mental fun at 3am apparently. My thought process moved on to what I would do with my spare rooms. What kind of work out equipment I could fit in the garage, how big of a gaming table I could craft, where the computer would go... and then it hit me. A piano!!

I don't know why. I've never played before. I can't even read sheet music! The more I thought about it though, the more I wanted to learn. Where would I even start? And then I found this thread. Woohoo!! You guys rock, and I've learned a lot reading through just 3 pages worth. It has inspired me to at least try. Why not?

I never took lessons for a musical instrument before, and am not that musically inclined. I played acoustic guitar like every other 20 something Dave Matthews wannabe, but it never stuck. I could play some songs but my tiny hands frustrated my progress greatly. Don't even get me started on the woes I've had with hammer ons and offs...

Question 1 - Do small hands hinder piano playing abilities? Is it a big deal?

My whole life I've been told I have a great singing voice and I actually love to sing but I never did choir in high school, I played football instead. So I never had a reason or an outlet for singing other than being a karaoke rockstar the odd night or singing for a garage band that lasted about a week.

My Goal - I want to sing and play piano, at the same damned time.

Ben Folds, Billy Joel, Elton John, Alicia Keys, Coldplay, etc. These are the artists I want to aspire to be like. Well... maybe just Ben Folds, heh.

Question 2 - If I wanted to play like Ben Folds, what style do I attempt to learn first? What would his style even be classified as? Rock? Classical? Jazz? All of the above? Or should I not worry about it and just learn the songs? I'd like to know what I should tell my teacher when I get one. Help him/her help me, so to speak.

I am prepared to get a nice weighted keyboard for practice (thinking a Casio PX-320 would be good) pay for some lessons to be taught properly, read some books, study sheet music and sacrifice a small goat. I expect an uphill battle having no prior experience, but I REALLY want this and I've got nothing but time on my hands to do it.

Also, any advice on singing and playing piano at the same time, would be appreciated. Is it too much for a beginner? Should I not even worry about it right away? Did God only make one Ben Folds for a reason? Should I try for Billy Joel instead? I already have a good start on the alcoholism, but no ex-wives though.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
If you want to learn ben folds learn classical and jazz.

You won't be able to play many Ben Folds songs quickly, they require a lot of technique and training. You could play like... Brick and Army but don't be expecting to play Philosophy or something soon.

Just take lessons and tell your teacher what you're wanting out of it in the end.

And small hands are a lot less of a problem with piano. Along with finger strength and all of that, it's not the same kind of battle.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Alizee posted:

You won't be able to play many Ben Folds songs quickly, they require a lot of technique and training. You could play like... Brick and Army but don't be expecting to play Philosophy or something soon.

Just take lessons and tell your teacher what you're wanting out of it in the end.

And small hands are a lot less of a problem with piano. Along with finger strength and all of that, it's not the same kind of battle.

To be fair he probably wants to play Brick and Army the mostest. While drinking heavily and divorcing women, by the sounds of it.

To attempt to answer the rest of the question... singing while playing the piano is a difficult thing. It can take a while to click. These days I can pick up most songs with simple rhythms and sing away, but anything that has something a little awkward in it to throw me off needs practice. For example, I can sing along to Space Dementia easily, but I really struggle singing along to the main verses in your Ben Folds Brick, despite Space Dementia being a substantially harder piece to play. Why? Hard to say, seems that the rhythm of what you're playing on the piano doesn't quite mesh in my head with what I'm trying to sing. I get the same problem on guitar but to a much lesser extent, it is relatively uncommon for me to find a guitar song that needs significant practice to sing along to, even though I'm a much less acomplished guitarist. Either way, practice solves the issue.

I'd probably not look at singing while playing for a little while, it is fairly imperative that you be able to play on near auto-pilot to do a good job of it. Every extra ounce of effort you have to exert to play the piano is an ounce of effort that gets taken away from your vocal performance, and it ends up sounding very stunted and lame. Certainly when you do first start trying to sing along to a song, start slow, and repeat sections until you get them right.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Alizee posted:

Awesome, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Vanmani posted:

To be fair he probably wants to play Brick and Army the mostest. While drinking heavily and divorcing women, by the sounds of it.

Haha, maybe so but I was thinking more of Smoke or Fred Jones, Pt. 2. They seem like a good simple start as opposed to his more complex arrangements. The intro to Philosophy sounds... advanced, to put it mildly. Then again, every time I listen to his albums I find a new favorite, so I'd be happy being able to play anything most likely.

Vanmani posted:

I'd probably not look at singing while playing for a little while, it is fairly imperative that you be able to play on near auto-pilot to do a good job of it. Every extra ounce of effort you have to exert to play the piano is an ounce of effort that gets taken away from your vocal performance, and it ends up sounding very stunted and lame. Certainly when you do first start trying to sing along to a song, start slow, and repeat sections until you get them right.

Thanks for the advice. I wonder if perhaps singing would be more auto-pilot than playing the piano. I suppose it differs for some people. The last thing I'd want to do is sound terrible with either by forcing the two together without proper practice. I went to a Billy Joel and Elton John concert some months ago, and they made everything look so damned easy. It was amazing.

Demtor fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 10, 2009

tortueperdue
Sep 3, 2007
Apparently, I can't leave this blank.
I've been reading this thread for a while, and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for me. I started playing roughly a year and a half ago on a terrible keyboard playing "Jingle Bells". Then last year I upgraded to a much better digital piano and started playing sonatinas. Right now I'm playing music around level 5 according to my books. To be fair, I already knew how to read sheet music before I started. I just had trouble with the symbols that were specific to the piano.

Do not worry about the small hands. My hands are tiny. For example, small latex gloves are loose on me. I have managed just fine.

Right now I am learning some Romanian Folk dances by Bartok, and I just got Beethoven's Bagatelle 119 from my teacher. I've been learning classical for technique but I'd like to play anything and everything.

Dafte
Jul 21, 2001

Techno. Logical. Pimp.
If anyone comes across a good deal with some of the recommended pianos for beginners please let me know. I have been searching a while, and it doesn't seem like digital pianos drop much in value. If anyone has a particular website they can recommend for the best all around price, let me know. Also, if anyone spots a random deal please let me know. I have been wanting to get into piano for awhile, but being a broke student is currently limiting me.

Tubesock
Apr 20, 2002

What is a good way of selecting a teacher? I found a list of local teachers though the Arizona State music teachers association. They don't provide much other information besides an email address and the instrument they teach so I'm gonna have to end up cold emailing a lot of them.

Right now I'm just interested in learning the basics. I've been teaching myself for the past couple years and i seem to have plateaued, which doesn't surprise me. I feel like I should just start from the ground up and forget everything I know. My goal is to improve all around so I can play more difficult pieces, and learn simple ones faster. I feel like pretty much anyone that calls them self a teacher can provide that. What factors should I be considering? And what can I expect to pay for lessons?

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Tubesock posted:

What is a good way of selecting a teacher? I found a list of local teachers though the Arizona State music teachers association. They don't provide much other information besides an email address and the instrument they teach so I'm gonna have to end up cold emailing a lot of them.

Right now I'm just interested in learning the basics. I've been teaching myself for the past couple years and i seem to have plateaued, which doesn't surprise me. I feel like I should just start from the ground up and forget everything I know. My goal is to improve all around so I can play more difficult pieces, and learn simple ones faster. I feel like pretty much anyone that calls them self a teacher can provide that. What factors should I be considering? And what can I expect to pay for lessons?

Piano teachers tend to be of a generally more proficient quality than say.. guitar teachers. They should all have a strong knowledge of all basic theory and be able to play to a good proficiency. The question is really whether they teach what you wanna learn, or if you get along alright with them. Prices vary a lot between states/countries. Get a quote from 3 or 4 and you'll have a good idea of what they charge in your area.

Dafte
Jul 21, 2001

Techno. Logical. Pimp.
Just purchased a Yamaha P-85 at Kraft Music. Picked it up as a bundle for $630.

I got this bundle: http://www.kraftmusic.com/catalog/keyboards/88keykeyboards/index.asp?product=6118

Please dont let this be a horrible mistake.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Dafte posted:

Just purchased a Yamaha P-85 at Kraft Music. Picked it up as a bundle for $630.

I got this bundle: http://www.kraftmusic.com/catalog/keyboards/88keykeyboards/index.asp?product=6118

Please dont let this be a horrible mistake.

A lot of teachers encourage their students who don't have access to a real piano, or a whole load of cash, to buy that piano. It's pretty good for the price point.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

tortueperdue posted:

Do not worry about the small hands. My hands are tiny. For example, small latex gloves are loose on me. I have managed just fine.
Hey, so I have tinyass hands too, and I find I get frustrated a lot with wide note spacing. This is especially a left hand problem, because I am most often reading choral music that was slightly revised for piano. I thought this was just due to my terrible tiny hand-span (I can reach an octave comfortably, and that's it), but maybe I'm just missing something really stupid? That is, of course, entirely possible, so do tell.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Hawkgirl posted:

Hey, so I have tinyass hands too, and I find I get frustrated a lot with wide note spacing. This is especially a left hand problem, because I am most often reading choral music that was slightly revised for piano. I thought this was just due to my terrible tiny hand-span (I can reach an octave comfortably, and that's it), but maybe I'm just missing something really stupid? That is, of course, entirely possible, so do tell.

Needing to reach more than an octave with your left hand should be reasonably uncommon in most music, and in many instances you can replace the higher note with your thumb on your right hand.

The other thing to look out for is shonky organ sheet music, where I think they're just assuming you'll play the bass note with your feet. It's generally a minor concern though. If you can't play an octave, you're in trouble. More than that? Only a problem if you want to go to an elite level, and even then surmountable.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
i've been playing piano for years. When I moved to college my parents bought me an M-Audio Keystation 88 as a going away present so that I could play piano through my PC when i wanted.

It worked for a bit until I realized I hated the keystation's action. Specifically, it was a noisy beast. When I would get really into my playing I realized I heard the KACHUNK of the keys almost more than the music itself.

Today I went to guitar center and played the Roland RD-700GX, widely regarded as the stage piano to own. I have never been more impressed with an electric instrument in my entire life. Does anyone have one of these and might shed light on its downsides (if there are any)? I feel like this is the piano I have to own. I tried the yamaha cp-300 as well, but i thought the action was a bit too stiff. It's also heavy as gently caress and I foresee a lot of moving around in the future.

Has anyone tried a Korg SV-1 that just came out? I'm curious how its piano samples hold up...

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

negativeneil posted:

i've been playing piano for years. When I moved to college my parents bought me an M-Audio Keystation 88 as a going away present so that I could play piano through my PC when i wanted.

It worked for a bit until I realized I hated the keystation's action. Specifically, it was a noisy beast. When I would get really into my playing I realized I heard the KACHUNK of the keys almost more than the music itself.

Today I went to guitar center and played the Roland RD-700GX, widely regarded as the stage piano to own. I have never been more impressed with an electric instrument in my entire life. Does anyone have one of these and might shed light on its downsides (if there are any)? I feel like this is the piano I have to own. I tried the yamaha cp-300 as well, but i thought the action was a bit too stiff. It's also heavy as gently caress and I foresee a lot of moving around in the future.

Has anyone tried a Korg SV-1 that just came out? I'm curious how its piano samples hold up...

If you can afford and justify an RD-700GX I see no problem with that, they're darlings of the stage piano world. The RD-700s have been around a while though... I would've thought they'd be offering a new version soon...?

Nevz
Aug 13, 2009
I went and got my self a Yamaha P-85 and I love it. I'm a self taught Pianist.. although my problem is that i'll start a piece be okayish at like half of it then get bored and start a new piece!

I also got a book Alfreds piano scales and hannon scales, ( I prefer alfreds ) but having done no theory whatsover, and never had a piano instructor, they seem very intimidating.

Should I carry on just learning new pieces of music ( as my sight reading is getting pretty good now, I guess that's one advantage to my short attention span with the pieces), or should I learn scales from scratch? How many hours/days/weeks of practising/learning these scales until I will notice a difference in my ability to play better? Also how long will it take me learning the scales from zero to be able to do them properly?

I understand everything i'm 'reading' so ultimately can nail the songs perfectly, and I try to use proper fingering when it's labeled also.

Would like some tips please =-), i practise perhaps 2 hours a day!

My longterm goal is to just be an all round good pianist, my repetoire at the moment is things such as Fur Elise, to zanarkand, valse d'amelie, comptine d'autre, marriage d'amour, solffeggieto, prelude in c minor, etc. Quite varied pieces I like

Thanks

Nevz fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 2, 2009

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Learning your major and minor scales will improve both your sight reading and your fingering. Most importantly they will give you a foundation upon which to improvise and write your own music.

Do it. Do it well. It doesn't take that long to get proficient, and the benefits are very real.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I'd just like to mention how frusterted I am in my small hands. My fellow piano major friends some of them can reach a 12th. I can reach a 10th on the very edge of the white keys.

This is majorly loving me over in Section C of Chopin's Nocturne in C minor Op. 48.

I can play the left hand at speed, but I can't get the connection you can if you can reach an 11th with ease as I have to lift my hand and move it off the keys to the next notes where someone with a larger hand span can merely swap back and forth between the two harmonic intervals played in the left hand.

But yeah, I love the gently caress out of the Nocturne in c minor and I firmly believe my personal connection to Chopin's music makes up for my lack of hand span <3

Man I love playing Chopin. He really knew what the gently caress was up, the ultimate piano composer.

Nevz
Aug 13, 2009
Can our hand spand ever increase? I say this because it gives me a slight sinking feeling when I come across over an octave stretch, which i'm physically impossible to do!

Or are us small hand peeps hosed for life?

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Nevz posted:

Can our hand spand ever increase? I say this because it gives me a slight sinking feeling when I come across over an octave stretch, which i'm physically impossible to do!

Or are us small hand peeps hosed for life?

Unless you're hands are physically going to grow or you naturally have like 0 flexibility in your fingers and therefore your handspan has not reached it's full potential, we're hosed for life.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Some of the Chopin etudes were actually designed to help stretch your hand. It IS possible, somewhat. But it's not something you want to gently caress around with, you can also ruin your hand. It's much better to just compensate, there have been lots of composers and famous piannists who didn't have huge hands.

If I'm not mistaken, actually, Chopin didn't have the biggest hands. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Just do your best, basically. And don't be afraid to use the pedals to "cheat". (My teacher is always telling me I'm too honest, I do things the hard way).

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Yes, your hands can stretch. And for those of you in despair over small hands, the best piano teacher I've ever had possessed tiny child hands. She went to Juliard. She could play any piece of music you could throw at her.

Your hands will stretch a bit over time, and there are things like Hanon exercise books that have sections that focus on hand-span.

In the meantime, you can get away with the 'fast octave' in which you hit the sustain pedal, the low note with your pinky/thumb, and then jump your hand up to note that's one octave above. When you get good at it it's almost indistinguishable.

PS Chopin is the best composer.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

negativeneil posted:

Yes, your hands can stretch. And for those of you in despair over small hands, the best piano teacher I've ever had possessed tiny child hands. She went to Juliard. She could play any piece of music you could throw at her.

Your hands will stretch a bit over time, and there are things like Hanon exercise books that have sections that focus on hand-span.

In the meantime, you can get away with the 'fast octave' in which you hit the sustain pedal, the low note with your pinky/thumb, and then jump your hand up to note that's one octave above. When you get good at it it's almost indistinguishable.

PS Chopin is the best composer.

Chopin is also very mean to me personally. Maybe it's not that good of an idea to work on two or three Chopin pieces at once.

EDIT: But yeah, the best. Well, maybe him and Bach.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Chopin is also very mean to me personally. Maybe it's not that good of an idea to work on two or three Chopin pieces at once.

What 3 pieces are you working on?

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Polonaise in A Major made me stop playing about a year in high school. What a frustrating, absolutely fun to play song.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Two etudes and the g minor ballade (it is muderous). On top of that, a Mozart sonata and I just started a Mendelssohn prelude and fugue, and by "just starting" I mean I've been sort of sitting at the piano and looking at it quizically for about two weeks.

Nevz
Aug 13, 2009
Regarding scales, would it be advisable as a complete newbie to them, to play them through a few times before I play a song? ( They are very tedious to learn from scratch im finding, but if I do one whichever the song is in, i think it may give me a little more purpose for it and then I'll be able to directly gauge how it's affected my playing of that song specifically)

What is the point of C Major also, what will that speed me up in doing?

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!
Does anyone have a recommendation for a beginner song to learn by Bach? I played keyboard (never had a piano) with lessons from about age 6-13 but I was never even remotely serious about it, I've forgotten everything now but maybe if I practice I will remember a few things. I'm serious about playing guitar and have a good grip on beginner/intermediate music theory (hopefully going to music school next year) and plan to work up my keyboard chops and play a few tunes before going into music school. Specifically my left hand seems weak and I'm not used to playing complicated left and right hand parts simultaneously so something with a basic bassline would be great. I'm not sure if any Bach pieces like this exist, but I really enjoy his compositions so I would prefer something written by Bach or similar to his style.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Nelsocracy posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a beginner song to learn by Bach? I played keyboard (never had a piano) with lessons from about age 6-13 but I was never even remotely serious about it, I've forgotten everything now but maybe if I practice I will remember a few things. so I would prefer something written by Bach or similar to his style.

Two part inventions! Only two parts to worry about, and you're actually playing the same things in both hands, just switching off between them.

When you're done with those you can move on to three part inventions. And so on until you're doing five voice fugues. :)

Nevz posted:

Regarding scales, would it be advisable as a complete newbie to them, to play them through a few times before I play a song? ( They are very tedious to learn from scratch im finding, but if I do one whichever the song is in, i think it may give me a little more purpose for it and then I'll be able to directly gauge how it's affected my playing of that song specifically)

It won't do much other than maybe solidify the key signature in your head and warm up the fingers a bit. No harm in that of course.

I don't know what you mean by the point of C Major...you mean playing a C Major scale before every piece?

Scales are good for you in general, knowing the fingering of every scale, and being able to play them fast will give you agility and so on. When you play scales always try to listen to your playing (sometimes it's hard to listen to yourself when you're concentrating on playing the notes right, but try) and make them sound as smooth and even as you can. It does translate to pieces in an oblique sort of way, but I don't really know of anyone who plays one before each piece or anything like that. More like fifteen minutes at the beginning of each practice session or something.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Nevz posted:

Playing scales is not about playing fast. Piano is not shredding. As Bob said, it's about learning the key and learning the fingering... and to some extent warming up, although I'd rather just do a couple of stretches and improvise for a few minutes. But that's an option I have, since when I was a little lad I learned all my scales as I was told.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
Scale exercises are all about articulation. Pianists don't get direct control over sound production like other instruments do -- you don't get to set the string in motion yourself. So your piano sound can get monotonous very quickly if you don't work on getting every tiny shade of nuance out of your keystrokes that you can.

So don't just play scales, play them staccato and legato, and then super-legato and super-staccato, and then various degrees of legato, and then go between soft staccato and the heaviest marcato you can... you get the idea.

But make sure you know the fingering patterns first, that's the foundation you build on.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Boner Logistics posted:

Scale exercises are all about articulation. Pianists don't get direct control over sound production like other instruments do -- you don't get to set the string in motion yourself. So your piano sound can get monotonous very quickly if you don't work on getting every tiny shade of nuance out of your keystrokes that you can.

So don't just play scales, play them staccato and legato, and then super-legato and super-staccato, and then various degrees of legato, and then go between soft staccato and the heaviest marcato you can... you get the idea.

But make sure you know the fingering patterns first, that's the foundation you build on.

That sounds really boring. Work on that stuff through pieces not scales. Scales help with runs and other various stuff.

Go play a beethoven sonata, if you know your scales you already know half the piece (low grade sonatas, not his good stuff =P)

If anything, learn scales to play them loud and fast, it`ll work on your finger strength.

Trouser Mouse Bear
Mar 20, 2004
Bancount - 1
I am trying to figure out some of my favourite songs in between slogging through scales and stuff. I am an absolute keyboard beginner so bare with me :)

I am trying to determine Chord 3's name in the following progression.

Jamiroquai - Blow your mind
This is in the key of C ( i hope )

Chord 1 : F A C E = Fmaj7
Chord 2 : G A B D = G2 / Gmaj +2 ?
Chord 3 : F# G# C E = F#2 b5 b7 <= ridiculous I know

I think I am missing something quite fundamental here :)

Trouser Mouse Bear fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 4, 2009

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Trouser Mouse Bear posted:

Chord 3 : F# G# C E = F#2 b5 b7 <= ridiculous I know

I think I am missing something quite fundamental here :)

Inversion. Start it from the E... E F# G# C starts to look a lot more like an Esus2 with the 3 thrown in. Look at it from the G# we get a G#aug7. Or thereabouts, I find this hard to think straight about without having a keyboard in front of me.

Looking at it from the F# is admittedly tricky.

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl

Trouser Mouse Bear posted:

Chord 2 : G A B D = G2 / Gmaj +2 ?

I'd call this Gadd9 (G major with an added 9th)

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
I'm thinking about getting a beater upright piano off of craigslist in the $100-300 range. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to figure out how to tune it myself. As long as they hold a tune and is in working condition I'd be happy with it, but are there any brands I should stay away from? So far in my area I'm seeing Story & Clark, Wurlitzer, Kimball, and a couple no-name ones I'll ask about.

Or should I just look into a $300ish digital piano instead? I'm thinking I'd enjoy a real upright much more and I have the space for it.

jebeebus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 14, 2009

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

jebeebus posted:

I'm thinking about getting a beater upright piano off of craigslist in the $100-300 range. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to figure out how to tune it myself. As long as they hold a tune and is in working condition I'd be happy with it, but are there any brands I should stay away from? So far in my area I'm seeing Story & Clark, Wurlitzer, Kimball, and a couple no-name ones I'll ask about.

Or should I just look into a $300ish digital piano instead? I'm thinking I'd enjoy a real upright much more and I have the space for it.

If you have the space, I'd always reccomend a real piano, as long as it holds a tuning.

Don't worry about names so much, you can take a Steinway and totally ruin it if you don't take care of it at all. Always evaluate the piano as an individual.

You probably won't want to spend the money, but you could also get a tuner to go with you and take a look at it. There's also a book called "how to buy a good used piano" by Willard Leverett, gives tons of information about how to tell if a used piano is worth the money.

You can tell if the pinblock is tight by measuring the torque, or just putting a tuning hammer on one of the pins and trying to move it with one finger - you should have to put real pressure on it to get it to move. A good book to check out about learning tuning is Reblitz, but beware it's a bit more complicated than tuning a guitar or cello or what have you.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Any thoughts on the Yamaha YPG635? A guy on Craigslist is trying to sell a "like new" one for $450. I'm trying to whittle him down to $400. I've read a few reviews stating that the speakers are pretty drat weak. Anyone have personal experience with this model?

*For reference, I'll be coming for a Casio 61-key keyboard that has keys that will glow when you press them.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
I'd hate to ask this, but I would like to know if there's a general consensus on the best bang per buck keyboard in the 400-600 dollar range. I've been playing on a Yamaha YPT-400 for the last two years and I really, really need something with the full 88 weighted keys. I was planning on trying to split the cost of a P-140/155 with my parents as a Christmas gift, but college tuition and rent has made money too tight for that. The problem is I don't know what is considered a good mid-range digital piano especially outside of the Yamaha brand. I happen to live in an area where music stores are few and far between so I can't actually go and try anything out until I go home for Thanksgiving break. Any suggestions on what I should try out and look for would be greatly appreciated.