Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

I have just finished racing through the book. It's fantastic - no sign of Terry's "embuggerance". And it just seems to get better and better towards the end - you know when you have those moments where you just have to stop and laugh, because the writing is just so perfect? Fast and furious, my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

Staggy posted:

I have just finished racing through the book. It's fantastic - no sign of Terry's "embuggerance". And it just seems to get better and better towards the end - you know when you have those moments where you just have to stop and laugh, because the writing is just so perfect? Fast and furious, my friends.

One question.

Does Death play a team sport?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Amazon.com says the kindle version will be more expensive than the hardback version. :argh:

Though there is something to be said for shipping it all the way from Jolley Olde Englande for the cooler cover.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Damnit, the American website had today listed as the release date, but in-store they told me the 6th...:smith:

Don't get your hopes up. I was told the 13th,

withak, order it from Canada. We get the British covers.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So I went in to B&N to check if they released the book. I was watching the computer screen when they checked it, and even though it says release date October 6, apparently they are allowed to sell it already, but you don't get the 20% discount on new hardcovers. For me it was worth not saving $5 to get it a few days early. Yay!

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
A jolly good read. But now I really want a pie.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Just Another Lurker posted:

why are they raising their hands for a football... do they think it`s about basketball?

That looks like a volleyball.

Edit: Preordered the UK version just for the awesome cover.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 3, 2009

Aussie Crawl
Aug 21, 2007
Contains Opinions Which May Offend
So i'm curoious does Paul Kidby just really loving hate America or does America hate Paul Kidby? I can't imagine a human being with any shred of taste choosing the god awful bland American covers over Kidby's work, so i'm guessing there's some kind of royalties or copy-write issue that prevents them from using good artwork.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It has to be something to do with the American publisher since, as I've said, Canada gets the Kidby covers.

Izz
May 1, 2006

While trying to find out why US covers are different, I found http://wiki.dyskowe.info/index.php/Main_Page
It has Discworld covers from all over the world. The Estonian ones are very much like the covers of Horrible Histories books

Izz fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 3, 2009

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The Japanese ones (Colour of Magic, at least) are terrifying.

Korea's pretty disturbing too.
http://wiki.dyskowe.info/images/Light_Unknown_KO.gif

Interesting Times is apparently renamed "The Tribulations of a Mage in the Orient" in France.
http://wiki.dyskowe.info/images/Interesting_Josh_Kirby_FR_2.jpeg

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 4, 2009

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I was looking at Small Gods covers, and what the hell is with the Japanese cover of Small Gods? It's got EARTH on it for gently caress's sake.

Aussie Crawl
Aug 21, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

The Japanese ones (Colour of Magic, at least) are terrifying.

Korea's pretty disturbing too.

Interesting Times is apparently renamed "The Tribulations of a Mage in the Orient" in France.

Everything on that cover looks so loving shifty, it's like Great Atuin just stole the elephants and is them sneaking them out of the universe nonchalantly.

Edit: About the Small Gods cover, the Omnians believe that the world is round, they're trying to stamp out the disc/turtle heresy.

Aussie Crawl fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 3, 2009

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aussie Crawl posted:

Everything on that cover looks so loving shifty, it's like Great Atuin just stole the elephants and is them sneaking them out of the universe nonchalantly.

I do like that he's flipping somebody off on the way out, though.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Mokinokaro posted:

YES. Twoflower is bloody Asian and not American. I don't care if Pratchett signed the movie into cannon, he's bloody Asian!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Well, the book makes it obvious that Twoflower's country is basically a mix of Asian cultures.

Aussie Crawl
Aug 21, 2007
drat from looking through those galleries it's like the American publishers were determined to try and find the worst cover artist possible. They all look so goddamn tacky, like somebody just sat down with clip-art for 5 minutes and then shut their eyes and randomly selected a shade from the colour wheel and then called it a day.

The newer Russian covers on the other hand are just brilliant, they're a similar concept to the American ones, single picture featuring a plot/thematic emblem against a black background but because of their artist they just look so goddamn classy.

I mean which one of these would you read in public

http://wiki.dyskowe.info/index.php/Image:Interesting_Unknown_RU.jpg

http://wiki.dyskowe.info/index.php/Image:Interesting_Unknown_US.jpg

Also China deserves credit for its interesting and more constructed Discworld

http://wiki.dyskowe.info/index.php/Image:Light_Unknown_CN.jpg

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 3, 2009

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Aussie Crawl posted:

PICTURES

You might want to stop leeching there and throw those up on Waffleimages before a mod spots it.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mokinokaro posted:

Well, the book makes it obvious that Twoflower's country is basically a mix of Asian cultures.

And he is, after all, from Bes Pelargic. They have different accents there.

(Also, I got Unseen Academicals today. Pretty great so far! :))

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Staggy posted:

It was an absolute joy of a book; like all the best Disc novels it bounces merrily from pathos to philosophy to puns, generally within the space of a few sentences, and does so very deftly.

Great characters all round; I like it when Mr Pratchett blends a bunch of new people in with a group of our old favourites. Glenda - the focal character- is very strong. He always writes good strong female characters, but Glenda seems realer, more true to life than most. I think most working class folk in the UK will know a "Glenda".

However the highlight was Vetinari. He was fabulous -and hilarious- in this (his exchanges with his secretary become increasingly amusing). I was making small, undignified sniggering noises on the train home as I was reading a part in which he featured heavily. Word of advice: don't read this book on public transport. You get funny looks off of people.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I stopped by Borders during work and the guy at the info desk said they have it in the store but can't sell it until Tuesday, fuckkkk.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh poo poo more Pratchett I thought it wasn't out for another month where is my goddam wallet!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Ahhhhh! I was at chapters today and searched Pratchett on a whim and looked at the shelf and there was nothing there! If I would've known it had been released I would've pushed it on one of the clerks!

In other news, I just realized that the storyline from Jingo is based on real events!

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred
My lovely wife just bought me a collector's edition hardback of Unseen Academicals (number 319 of 3000) to go alongside the various signed copies. Definitely a return to form - the footnotes are in there, the wizards are as disorganised and cunning as ever and we also get to see the Archchancellor's thinking in more detail. Vetinari is just as he should be. And with all the big famous residents, we still get to see the story as told through the eyes of significant but less famous people. It was funny, touching and had several morals in there.

This one will definitely bear rereading.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Mokinokaro posted:

Well, it makes sense. In the books another name for the Agatean empire is the AUrient, what with all the gold there and AU being golds designation on the periodic table.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I was looking at Small Gods covers, and what the hell is with the Japanese cover of Small Gods? It's got EARTH on it for gently caress's sake.

Well, the shape of the world is kind of an important part of the books plot, yeah? The turtle moves.

iJay
Jul 6, 2005

Dolph Lundgren is awesome
There was a pretty high profile kidnapping case here a while back where this crazy lawyer held up a rich young woman in a sound-proofed do-it-yourself-styled jail cell for 17 days.

Apparently he kept the kidnapped woman entertained by supplying her with Terry Pratchetts books. and with a TV

Video here, where you can spot the finnish cover of "The Wintersmith" at about 1:10.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

My local public library had Unseen Academicals on the shelf this morning (the fifth).

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

iJay posted:

There was a pretty high profile kidnapping case here a while back where this crazy lawyer held up a rich young woman in a sound-proofed do-it-yourself-styled jail cell for 17 days.

Apparently he kept the kidnapped woman entertained by supplying her with Terry Pratchetts books. and with a TV

Video here, where you can spot the finnish cover of "The Wintersmith" at about 1:10.

That sucks, she'll never be able to enjoy a Pratchett book again.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I saw it in frankfurt in two bookstores on the 25th, but I couldn't buy it because I had preordered :(

The book itself is great, I just didn't like the way the ending was split up.

The ending itself however, espeically the giant chicken, that was genius

ardentodonata
Mar 17, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

My local public library had Unseen Academicals on the shelf this morning (the fifth).

I got my copy delivered from Amazon.com today. I'm a fairly new reader of Pratchett. I've read about 8 or so I guess so far. Loved every one! (Am a little iffy on Witches Abroad)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I just got my copy from Amazon too. I thought I'd ordered the UK version, but they gave me the US version with the crappy cover. :argh:

Haven't read it yet, but I'm going to start on it tonight!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The most surprising thing to me was that Rincewind is actually a very good character, when he's not the main one. And I'm glad TP keeps adding Professors that aren't senile and/or utterly insane. That schtick got old a dozen books ago - hell, that schtick never wasn't on Medicare.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

precision posted:

Actually I'm with you on that. I've never really understood why fans of the Watch books sometimes talk as if they're obviously/unanimously better. The Witch and Lipwig books are my favourites, and I've also never understood all the hate for Equal Rites.

I think a lot of hurt for that comes from it sort of being glossed over. There's stuff witches (Granny especially) do in it that we don't ever really see being done again, and despite the main girl presumably being important we don't see her again in any of the books either. I think Terry's already worked his 'clever heroine' goodness on Tiffany at any rate. Is Esk supposed to show up again anytime soon?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

penguinmambo posted:

Is Esk supposed to show up again anytime soon?

There's a rumour going around that she may appear, or at least make a cameo, in the next book, which will be another Tiffany Aching book.

WHOOPS I FORGOT MY
May 16, 2009

by Peatpot
I like how he mixed in a bunch of old fantasy races he hadn't yet touched- especially the gorgon in the Watch. Wouldn't she need more than sunglasses, though? At least a hat as well. The characters are well-thought-out but are normal people you might find on any street- which is, of course, the hallmark of being well-thought-out. As he said, when asked if there are any 'real' people in your books the only answer a thinking author can give is "Man, I hope so."

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I'm hoping the next book is about the gorgon. Of course, I'm also hoping someone puts Terrys brain in a gigantic supercomputer so he can keep write a new book every four seconds for the rest of time.

Are there any generic fantasy races he hasn't wrked his magic on yet?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

King Doom posted:

I'm hoping the next book is about the gorgon. Of course, I'm also hoping someone puts Terrys brain in a gigantic supercomputer so he can keep write a new book every four seconds for the rest of time.

Are there any generic fantasy races he hasn't wrked his magic on yet?

Orcs or goblins, I suppose...

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Got another batch of books in from Amazon. Does anyone else prefer these covers over the hand-drawn ones? I think these are more stylish.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

John Dough posted:

Got another batch of books in from Amazon. Does anyone else prefer these covers over the hand-drawn ones? I think these are more stylish.

I was never really all that keen on Josh Kirby's illustrations but I think Paul Kidby's are always fantastic. Given a choice between those and Kidby covers, I'd take Kidby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'd take all of those over the American covers though.