Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Mandals posted:

drat, that's awesome. Too bad there's no OS X version.

EDIT - I meant for Glitch.

If you are willing to pay: http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/?content=985 or http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Effectrix/index.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grease Faucet
Feb 24, 2007
For that just-brushed feeling

Yoozer posted:

A Youtube link would be nice. Otherwise, if you're not on OS X, check what http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/ and http://mdsp.smartelectronix.com/livecut/ can do for you.

This is actually exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

How do I drag an effect onto just one specific track on my drum rack? I can't for the life of me figure this out.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

dookie posted:

How do I drag an effect onto just one specific track on my drum rack? I can't for the life of me figure this out.

I'm playing with this literally right now, too. I think you can drag the effect onto the slice you want in the little drum grid at the bottom of the screen.

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

Mandals posted:

I'm playing with this literally right now, too. I think you can drag the effect onto the slice you want in the little drum grid at the bottom of the screen.

I tried that, but it plays the effect for all the tracks in my drum rack still.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

dookie posted:

I tried that, but it plays the effect for all the tracks in my drum rack still.

open the drumrack so it shows the pads listed horizontally and where you can control volume and panning the drop the effect in there. thats also how you can make a send and control the send/return inside of drumrack

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.
I'd love to get one of those launchpads, but i'm getting gear lust. It's not actually going to enable me to write better electronic music, because I suck at it. Sigh.

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.
I tried importing an MP3 and it cuts off the first beat when I play it...it happened on a couple different files now. How do I get that downbeat back?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Did you check where the cue starts?
The whole thing imports for me but it'll create warp markers and try to start the clip like 3 seconds in. Barring that, I don't know really.

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

mezzir posted:

The whole thing imports for me but it'll create warp markers and try to start the clip like 3 seconds in. Barring that, I don't know really.

Well for some reason it cut off the first couple beats upon importing, but I just tried extending the audio file from the beginning of the clip and that brought it back in. It happened on a couple of my songs, maybe I wasn't dragging it in properly or something. :doh: Thanks!

Next noob question that I can't find in tutorials/google:
I want to cut out a sample that's 4 bars long and loop it. Here's what I thought should happen:
Drop the full song that I want to sample into arrangement view, make my selection. Do I use Sampler next to save the clip? Most tutorials I've found use Sampler for single hits in their demo. Do I make a destructive edit and export it as a new file, and then import the original back in?
Or would I be using Impulse so I can just drop the whole thing into one of the triggers and the launch it as a clip then? Those are the only instruments I've learned how to use so far. I'm sure there's a more efficient way to do it.
So within the track in session view, I want to have the full song as a clip, and also loops that I've extracted to be able to launch.

Edit: AudioMidi.com is doing pre-orders of the Launchpad and bundling the Korg NanoKontrol for $40 (a savings of $20)...Worth it getting too?

k0konutz fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 4, 2009

Grease Faucet
Feb 24, 2007
For that just-brushed feeling

k0konutz posted:

Well for some reason it cut off the first couple beats upon importing, but I just tried extending the audio file from the beginning of the clip and that brought it back in. It happened on a couple of my songs, maybe I wasn't dragging it in properly or something. :doh: Thanks!

Next noob question that I can't find in tutorials/google:
I want to cut out a sample that's 4 bars long and loop it. Here's what I thought should happen:
Drop the full song that I want to sample into arrangement view, make my selection. Do I use Sampler next to save the clip? Most tutorials I've found use Sampler for single hits in their demo. Do I make a destructive edit and export it as a new file, and then import the original back in?
Or would I be using Impulse so I can just drop the whole thing into one of the triggers and the launch it as a clip then? Those are the only instruments I've learned how to use so far. I'm sure there's a more efficient way to do it.
So within the track in session view, I want to have the full song as a clip, and also loops that I've extracted to be able to launch.

Edit: AudioMidi.com is doing pre-orders of the Launchpad and bundling the Korg NanoKontrol for $40 (a savings of $20)...Worth it getting too?

Here's what I would do:

-Keep everything in session view and set 1.1.1 at the beginning of the clip
-Set the tempo so that the bars of the song roughly match up with Ableton's static bars
-If you want the loop to be separate you can copy and paste it into a new scene and set the loop markers accordingly around the four-bar sample (right click and crop the sample if you don't want the rest of the audio showing up). I usually reset the beginning of the loop as 1.1.1 and create a second warp marker at the end, dragging it so it perfectly matches up with the end.

If that doesn't make sense this video might help get you where you need to be.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Plavski posted:

This can only be a good thing, gently caress the monome. Artificially limiting sales to charge ridiculous prices and creating exclusivity and envy is annoying and having much cheaper, more useful competition on the market is a very good thing.

You can already use the APC40 as a monome anyway with a max/msp patch so I hope the monome dies a death.

Yeah gently caress those guys and their innovative, hand built, well engineered trash.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

mezzir posted:

There's an option in the settings to turn off warping for imports. Ableton's always trying to be clever and warping audio tracks that are already correct.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

h_double posted:

Yeah gently caress those guys and their innovative, hand built, well engineered trash.

I think its more a matter of the masses being able to afford quality gear. I've always figured the music gear industry was funded by labels and drug dealers. I know we could've have afforded half the poo poo we had without selling drugs or borrowing from our parents...and we're a little too old to borrow from our parents now...

Lewk
May 22, 2001

I have a question about drum racks.

If I drop a sample onto the rack's grid, I am assuming it is essentially just putting that sample into a simpler. This works fine with my trigger pads, however not quite how I want it. It's almost like it's in 'gate' mode, where the sample only plays for as long as I hold the pad down. I'd like to just hit the pad and trigger the sample for it's full length, for programming beats. The only way I can see of defeating this is to drop an impulse onto a rack grid, but this seems like it might be a bit of a waste of processing power, plus you don't get the control you do over the sample as with simpler. Is it a toss up between the two i'm going ti have to live with, or am I missing something crucial? Perhaps my mindset to programming beats is wrong.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Lewk posted:

I have a question about drum racks.

If I drop a sample onto the rack's grid, I am assuming it is essentially just putting that sample into a simpler. This works fine with my trigger pads, however not quite how I want it. It's almost like it's in 'gate' mode, where the sample only plays for as long as I hold the pad down. I'd like to just hit the pad and trigger the sample for it's full length, for programming beats. The only way I can see of defeating this is to drop an impulse onto a rack grid, but this seems like it might be a bit of a waste of processing power, plus you don't get the control you do over the sample as with simpler. Is it a toss up between the two i'm going ti have to live with, or am I missing something crucial? Perhaps my mindset to programming beats is wrong.

Look on sampler and change the release time to a however long you need it to be.

You can play a 25 second sample all you got to do is increase release time.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

Rkelly posted:

Look on sampler and change the release time to a however long you need it to be.

You can play a 25 second sample all you got to do is increase release time.

Oh yeah, thanks. Now I feel stupid :)

Lewk fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 6, 2009

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

Can the ableton APC40 controller be used as a midi controller, or should I look into buying a MIDI controller that has piano keys to record notes? I can't figure out a default setting to change the clip matrix into anything other than the bank or clips.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

BlazinChronic posted:

Can the ableton APC40 controller be used as a midi controller, or should I look into buying a MIDI controller that has piano keys to record notes? I can't figure out a default setting to change the clip matrix into anything other than the bank or clips.
You'll be able to do that with max 4 live. Right now though you can use a max patch to get it to run as a monome allowing you do to whatever you want.

Haven't been able to get it to work on windows myself, but it looks simple enough to do on a mac.

Get it here: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=117307

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Grease Faucet posted:

Here's what I would do:

-Keep everything in session view and set 1.1.1 at the beginning of the clip
-Set the tempo so that the bars of the song roughly match up with Ableton's static bars
-If you want the loop to be separate you can copy and paste it into a new scene and set the loop markers accordingly around the four-bar sample (right click and crop the sample if you don't want the rest of the audio showing up). I usually reset the beginning of the loop as 1.1.1 and create a second warp marker at the end, dragging it so it perfectly matches up with the end.

If that doesn't make sense this video might help get you where you need to be.

So I can just make my loop selection and drag it into a clip slot on the track?
(I'd try it out now but I'm away from my home computer)

I've noticed Pro Tools Elastic Time algorithms show much less artifacting (if any at all) when warping time...is it common practice to build loops and time shift in Pro Tools and go back to ableton to launch clips?

Edit: I put the trial version on my work computer...here's where I'm at now:
Got my loop in session view. Copy and paste is disabled, nor do I have the ability to drag the new loop into a clip. I don't want to crop it completely since I want the original file still. How do I separate it from the original and and drop it into a new clip?

Click here for the full 1440x900 image.

Edit 2:
Ah, I just dropped in the same file twice and chopped up the one I needed to create for my loop, so now I have the original and then the loop in another clip. Is this proper workflow? If I wanted to take another sample out of it would I just copy the original as a "template" to a new clip and then make my cuts as needed in the new clip?

k0konutz fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 6, 2009

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

k0konutz posted:

So I can just make my loop selection and drag it into a clip slot on the track?
(I'd try it out now but I'm away from my home computer)

I've noticed Pro Tools Elastic Time algorithms show much less artifacting (if any at all) when warping time...is it common practice to build loops and time shift in Pro Tools and go back to ableton to launch clips?

Edit: I put the trial version on my work computer...here's where I'm at now:
Got my loop in session view. Copy and paste is disabled, nor do I have the ability to drag the new loop into a clip. I don't want to crop it completely since I want the original file still. How do I separate it from the original and and drop it into a new clip?

Click here for the full 1440x900 image.

Edit 2:
Ah, I just dropped in the same file twice and chopped up the one I needed to create for my loop, so now I have the original and then the loop in another clip. Is this proper workflow? If I wanted to take another sample out of it would I just copy the original as a "template" to a new clip and then make my cuts as needed in the new clip?

Yeah man just make ten original clips at first in one track vertically. Then edit them and rename them for ease of use. Then set those clips up as follow actions in launch options, sequence them live recording into a channel that is set up to resample the master and then chop those into new clips making ten of those in a row and then editing and renaming those, make scenes based on those clips with other tracks lining up the parts horizontally and using the scene triggers to trigger them live.

Just Record the master in a channel while chopping and mangling.
You will mine more gold stuff out of this than any other way.

Also you can right click on your clip once you put in it a slot in the live clip matrix, click slice to midi track. Try 16th notes first.
This chops your beat up into 16 midi slices each in their own instance of simpler in a drum rack. You can reorder the midi and gently caress with the samples all you want then piece by piece. Change the note type and slice mode to get crazy.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

One small thing to add that was something that took me way too long to really integrate into my work flow (kinda like ctrl-d for web browsing): control-click and drag. If you have a copy of one thing in the session view and want another to chop, hold control and click and drag to the slot below it and bam, new copy.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

I have some questions regarding cleaning up a set.

I record directly into arrangement view one track at a time. Sometimes if I gently caress up in the middle of a track, I'll drag the end of the clip to the left to cut it off and then resume recording into a new clip from that point onward. I've noticed that if I double click on the first clip, it still retains all of the original take, gently caress up and all. Hitting Ctrl + J consolidates it so that everything after the cutoff is no longer part of the clip, but what if I have a file full of these clips that need to be consolidated? Do I have to manually do it for each clip, or is there some way to do it automatically for all clips that I have in the arrangement?

Edit: Saw some stuff about the "manage set" thing. Would that be what I want to do? I'd really like to free up some space and get rid of anything that I'm not using.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

TylerK posted:

I record directly into arrangement view one track at a time. Sometimes if I gently caress up in the middle of a track, I'll drag the end of the clip to the left to cut it off and then resume recording into a new clip from that point onward. I've noticed that if I double click on the first clip, it still retains all of the original take, gently caress up and all. Hitting Ctrl + J consolidates it so that everything after the cutoff is no longer part of the clip, but what if I have a file full of these clips that need to be consolidated? Do I have to manually do it for each clip, or is there some way to do it automatically for all clips that I have in the arrangement?

Edit: Saw some stuff about the "manage set" thing. Would that be what I want to do? I'd really like to free up some space and get rid of anything that I'm not using.

Select everything and hit ctrl-j?

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

mezzir posted:

Select everything and hit ctrl-j?
But that will consolidate everything into one big clip, and I'd like to have different parts (verses, choruses, etc.) in different clips with different colors. Sure, I could split them into separate parts again afterwards, but then I'd have to do Ctrl+J on each clip individually anyway. Sounds like there might not be any easy way around it. :(

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

TylerK posted:

May I ask why you want to consolidate it at all? Afraid of wasting space?

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

ManoliIsFat posted:

May I ask why you want to consolidate it at all? Afraid of wasting space?
Not just afraid of it, but made painfully aware of it when I recently had to back up all my Ableton projects. Going through some of the earlier projects that I'd made before learning about the ctrl+j trick, there were some clips that contained 2 or 3 minutes worth of audio when all I was using was about the first 5 seconds of it.

I'd also like to consolidate them so that I don't stumbled across the unused bits while high and/or drunk and accidentally resurrect them.

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

You guys are awesome, I'm glad there's excellent support for Ableton here.

If I have a loop that has a couple pick-up notes beforehand, how do I launch it so that it plays the pickup at the appropriate time and then when it loops back, replays from 1.1.1?
Current work around: make clip with pickup note only, launch it at the right time and then launch the main loop?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

k0konutz posted:

You guys are awesome, I'm glad there's excellent support for Ableton here.

If I have a loop that has a couple pick-up notes beforehand, how do I launch it so that it plays the pickup at the appropriate time and then when it loops back, replays from 1.1.1?
Current work around: make clip with pickup note only, launch it at the right time and then launch the main loop?

Set the loop from for instance 25.1.1 to 27.1.1, but have the little stand alone flag looking thing wherever you want the pickup from

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

mezzir posted:

Set the loop from for instance 25.1.1 to 27.1.1, but have the little stand alone flag looking thing wherever you want the pickup from

So if it's 1 beat of a pickup, will that launch during the 1 bar wait time before it's actually launched on the next downbeat?

Edit: Also, how do I link timeline and edit selection so that I can drop the cursor on the waveform/gridline and it will play from there instead of moving the playhead?

k0konutz fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 7, 2009

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

k0konutz posted:

So if it's 1 beat of a pickup, will that launch during the 1 bar wait time before it's actually launched on the next downbeat?

Edit: Also, how do I link timeline and edit selection so that I can drop the cursor on the waveform/gridline and it will play from there instead of moving the playhead?

Make things in full measures. If you need a pick up note in a 4/4 measure record 3 beats of rest and play your part. Really this idea you have is a harder way.

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

Plavski posted:

You'll be able to do that with max 4 live. Right now though you can use a max patch to get it to run as a monome allowing you do to whatever you want.

So I'm gonna have to either buy max, or wait for max 4 live to come out and buy that?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

BlazinChronic posted:

So I'm gonna have to either buy max, or wait for max 4 live to come out and buy that?
Nope, as the page says, you only need the free runtime.

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

Makin blunts disappear like Im houdini
Looking for an opinion,

Ableton releases a new version every year, right? I know in january they're announcing a software thing with Serato Scratch Live. I'm just wondering if I should buy Suite 8.0 now, or wait until 9.0 with the supposed Serato features.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
i dont think 8 is that much better than 7. its got some nice upgrades, but since 9 is in sight, i would just wait

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Afro Thunder posted:

Looking for an opinion,

Ableton releases a new version every year, right? I know in january they're announcing a software thing with Serato Scratch Live. I'm just wondering if I should buy Suite 8.0 now, or wait until 9.0 with the supposed Serato features.
If you don't use an APC40 and don't need the guitar looper thing, holding off wouldn't be the worst decision in the world.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

If you bought 8, the price to upgrade to 9 would be very cheap though, right?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

chief touching you posted:

If you bought 8, the price to upgrade to 9 would be very cheap though, right?

Not VERY cheap. 7 -> 8 is like $200.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I played with a multitouch Live controller (http://www.hi-pi.de/play/) yesterday, but I'm not completely sold on the idea yet. The guy demoing it was using one finger most of the time, and multitouch seemed like a useless feature. I think it's mostly that he only has the mixer/session view controls available on the multitouch, and no real control over sounds. I guess if there was a way to assign other stuff to the surface in innovative ways (instead of just replicating the session view with a different interface flavour) it would make more sense. Still, impressive technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

ManoliIsFat posted:

Not VERY cheap. 7 -> 8 is like $200.

I'm debating whether or not to upgrade to 8 from 7. Does anyone know what going to 9 from 7 may cost, using the jump from 6 to 8 as a guide?