Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deranged Hermit
Nov 10, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

projecthalaxy posted:

So who do you guys think hAs the best interference music? For me it is a tie between Austin and Big Show. Maybe it is because they have such striking, distictive beginnings, but those two have always been the best for me at:

Wrestler: :words:
*glass breaks* or WWWEEEEEEELLLLLL
Wrestler: aaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

*guitar screech*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

FoodStampBrown posted:

This is the exact reason I've always loved Tazz and the NAO 's theme songs.

See, I thought Tazz's took too long to build, much like Cena's. And as for the best interruption music, the only winner can be Muhammed Hassan.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

reality_groove posted:

So, Austin was a heel after WM X7. He ended up turning into a goofy heel who would hang around with Vince and Kurt Angle backstage and sing songs. Since the WWF was being invaded by Alliance wrestlers, Vince wanted the old Stone Cold back who would stunner anyone who looked at him the wrong way. Stone Cold was upset by this and left, only to return and kick the Alliance's asses and set himself up as the leader of the WWF faction going into InVasion.

Just a slight correction to this, the old Stone Cold would also stunner anyone who looked at him the right way.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

projecthalaxy posted:

So who do you guys think hAs the best interference music? For me it is a tie between Austin and Big Show. Maybe it is because they have such striking, distictive beginnings, but those two have always been the best for me at:

Wrestler: :words:
*glass breaks* or WWWEEEEEEELLLLLL
Wrestler: aaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Goldberg's was pretty good for this too, with the big crash at the beginning and all.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

IFFFFF YA SMELLLLLLL was pretty good for interrupting promos.

Austin's glass breaking is still the best though.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

That refs reaction is perfect - it's the exact reaction I would have if I walked into my bathroom at 2 am and saw a giant spider on the wall

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

IFFFFF YA SMELLLLLLL was pretty good for interrupting promos.

Austin's glass breaking is still the best though.

The hugest reaction I've ever heard for any single sound was when the glass shattered when Austin ran in on the Rock/Mankind match where Mankind first won the title.

Holy loving poo poo pops like that don't happen anymore.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
What defines a Television Title as being different from, say, a US or intercontinental title?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Justice Grieves posted:

What defines a Television Title as being different from, say, a US or intercontinental title?

The name.

Deranged Hermit
Nov 10, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

Karmine posted:

I think the last time a megapop happened was when Cena returned at RR '08, and before that, HBK teasing a Bret Hart return in Canada.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

FishBulb posted:

The name.

I think initially they were meant to be defended purely on TV shows.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Raeg posted:

I think initially they were meant to be defended purely on TV shows.

Yeah but I don't think that was ever really all that enforced.

It was a midcard belt with a different name.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Karmine posted:

The hugest reaction I've ever heard for any single sound was when the glass shattered when Austin ran in on the Rock/Mankind match where Mankind first won the title.

I think the Austin/Dude Love match at Over the Edge '98 had amazing heat throughout, especially Austin counting the pinfall with Vince's hand.

Overall, though, there was nothing like crowds during Rock 'N Roll Express matches. Jesus Christ, the screaming would last an entire match with those two.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

FishBulb posted:

Yeah but I don't think that was ever really all that enforced.

It was a midcard belt with a different name.

It also used to be that it was defended under a certain "tv-length" time limit.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FishBulb posted:

The name.
Pretty much, yeah. Since Bischoff started the trend of puting actual title matches on free TV, there's been no reason to have a Television title. Furthermore, there's no reason anybody should defend one on anything but television, such as when ECW had RVD only defend his TV title on Pay-per-view.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Axissillian posted:

It also used to be that it was defended under a certain "tv-length" time limit.

Yes, it was supposed to be defended on at least every Nitro, and all TV title matches had a ten-minute time limit.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

That refs reaction is perfect - it's the exact reaction I would have if I walked into my bathroom at 2 am and saw a giant spider on the wall

:laffo:

I didn't notice that the first time.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The TV Title existed before the 90s, guys.

On the old NWA shows on 24/7 they have TV Title matches. I believe they had a 10-15 minute time limit, too.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

TL posted:

There wasn't really a "face turn" for Austin per se. After the Alliance lost at Survivor Series he came out and was just a face without really doing anything to turn. I think he hit Kurt Angle with a Stunner because Vince was just going to give Angle the world title.

Also, Steve Austin in the Alliance brought this to the world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_U6mtlyLkk

Yeah, this is what I forgot about. There was so much going on back then that it's difficult to remember the specifics. I know it's been said many times, but the Invasion would have been so much better without the McMahons getting involved.

edit: Plus a million other things.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 5, 2009

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

And as for the best interruption music, the only winner can be Muhammed Hassan.

This. Totally forgot this.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Supreme Allah posted:

Best reaction from a referee not named Remsberg.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

The TV Title existed before the 90s, guys.

On the old NWA shows on 24/7 they have TV Title matches.

The name was much less stupid back in those days, when the television was still a new and wondrous invention.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Chilly McFreeze posted:

The name was much less stupid back in those days, when the television was still a new and wondrous invention.

The TV was new and wonderous in the late 70s and 80s?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

grody but still def posted:

It was in my house. :(

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

grody but still def posted:

So was indoor plumbing in the Deep South. :v:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is it even true that Cena's promos are heavly scripted because the WWE got fined by the FCC during one of his raps?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Is it even true that Cena's promos are heavly scripted because the WWE got fined by the FCC during one of his raps?

Absolutely not.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The FCC has absolutely nothing to do with cable television.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LividLiquid posted:

Yes and no. The laws regarding the FCC's oversight powers technically allow it to regulate cable television (they're a bit murky), but thus far it has elected to stay hands-off, instead letting the cable networks self-police themselves.

As a result, the networks tend not to push the boundaries too far (for example, TNT pulled all Fred Dalton Thompson-era episodes of Law & Order for the duration of his presidential campaign, even though equal-time regulations have yet to be strictly applied to cable). If they start getting too crazy, though, the FCC would likely come down hard on them.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Timby posted:

for example, TNT pulled all Fred Dalton Thompson-era episodes of Law & Order for the duration of his presidential campaign

And for those of you who don't understand what a hardship it is for TNT to only have had three-quarters of Law and Order's twenty-year span available for Thompson's campaign, we should point out that the loss of the Thompson episodes meant TNT had to rerun several episodes three times in those ten days.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

tzirean posted:

And for those of you who don't understand what a hardship it is for TNT to only have had three-quarters of Law and Order's twenty-year span available for Thompson's campaign, we should point out that the loss of the Thompson episodes meant TNT had to rerun several episodes three times in those ten days.

Bah, Steven Hill or bust.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

errbody posted:

FCC on cable
Didn't we have this discussion like 15 pages ago?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Rapadoo?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

The A-Team Van posted:

Rapadoo?

Listen to John Cena's music.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

As everyone knows, it is pronounced "BRRR Abado"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21OH0wlkfbc

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I wish that they would bring back time limits for matches in the WWE. Most of the time they wouldn't matter but for the minor outlay of adding 6 words to the announcer's patter, you could occassionally have free beat the clock drama.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Reminder that Cena was on Smackdown on UPN for the entirety of his rapper gimmick.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

CM Junk posted:

Reminder that Cena was on Smackdown on UPN for the entirety of his rapper gimmick.

He never said a curse word though, the crowd did.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I just remembered the retarded Ruck Fules hat that was too controversial for network television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!
Here's a question because I'm dense:

A running joke in Botchamanias is about women "corpsing." Usually, a woman is laying somewhere in the scene not doing anything. Maffew then cuts to a scene where Randy Savage is raging backstage through Nitro threatening and yelling at women.

I can take an educated guess (lying there looking dead) but what is corpsing, why does it only involve women, why does it involve Randy Savage acting angry, and is there anything else I'm missing about this bit?