Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007
If they are our brothers, why can't we eat them?--12 Famous Buddha Minds School

the walkin dude posted:

I'm now accustomed to the heavy brake dive on my Ninja and how long it takes to brake (just ok). How is the SV in comparison, when braking hard? And with a passenger? With a passenger, there's a huge dive on my Ninja, and I don't like it when they dig into my back. I know that SV's have two front brake discs, and I'm wondering about the difference.

Okay...brake dive could be several things, but since you're just starting out I'm guessing it's a combination of lack of practice stopping and a front suspension that's overly soft. The other factor could be that you're riding too hot for your level of experience and having to break too hard as a result. If you're significantly heavier than the mythical average Japanese guy for whom your suspension was designed you could be reaching the end of the useful point of your suspension travel while the bike is still trying to transfer weight forward. If that's the case (and it was for me) you'll have similar problems on the SV. You can readily address them on either bike by replacing the front fork springs with something that has a stiffer spring rate. I upped the springs on my front forks to 1.0kg/mm and have seen the braking performance improve dramatically. The other thing I'd suggest is trying a 2-fingered brake pull if you've been gripping the lever with your whole hand. I found early on that a 2-fingered pull was much smoother for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Yeah, I've been practicing stopping with the rear brake, with engine braking, and with 2-fingered braking and getting better results but I've been wondering how the SV compared. My Ninja's a '98 model, so I'm not sure how old the front forks are (they have inspection stickers on 'em, and the bike was recently inspected, but I'm not sure how that works with relation to them). I'm 6'4'' and 190 pounds so, yeah. Still not the rider Kawasaki was aiming for.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Decent pads will do a lot to help the braking on a stock SV, but anyone who weighs over 130 will easily overwhelm the front suspension even with proper braking technique. Besides, using a lot of fork travel is pretty standard under heavy braking, but you should still have roughly 1/3 to 1/4th of your overall travel to take up bumps. Bikes that are set more softly for comfortable street riding are going to use a lot more suspension travel under heavy braking than a bike set up for the track. Springs are all that most riders need to really transform the SV's front end, although Ricor Intimators or RaceTech gold valves can help too.

I don't have a spare seat floating around, sorry.

And I left my camera in SB so I don't have the picture of the undertail...sorry! I'll up it when I get back.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004
A few days ago I picked up an '06 with 6300 miles. Fluids all flushed and new tires put on it. Awesome machine. Looking for only one mod right now, a fender eliminator kit...

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Has anyone else had a problem with the passenger side mirror vibrating more than the drivers side? My 07's right side mirror seems to vibrate just enough to make it a PITA to view cars at a certain distance behind me. Left side is just fine. Is it just the difference between left hand having full contact with the handle, while the right side is loose since it sits on the throttle sleeve?

Both of the stock rubber/metal bar-end weights are on the bike.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
So... Is the passenger side mirror on the back of the bike?

phishnut
Apr 28, 2002

HO HO HO
Depending on who you are, you may or may not care, but apparently the SV650 is about to get a set of brand new Ricor shocks that're currently under development...

The KLR650 just got em and the SV650 is next:

quote:

Originally Posted by Hal
"I believe Brian manufactured the parts for a few more than what he thought the initial response was going to be [for the KLR] and had already started the set up and manufacturing of parts for another bike.... WELL.... I believe the entire crew is back making KLR IAS shock parts and additional shims and springs have been ordered The "other ride" we had started manufacturing shock parts for is going to have to sit on the back burner for a while."

So it looks like the fabled SV650 rear shock is going to be a while because those KLR people are consuming all of Ricor's resources at the moment.

But this quote gives hope:

Quote:
"Originally Posted by RicorSHX
Next stop, SV650 road race bikes."

and a guy from Ricor just posted this:

quote:

The 3rd Gen Ricor IAS just had it's race debut this weekend at Infineon Raceway on a production class SV650. The race bike has been running the Intiminators for the entire season, hence the #1 points lead. During practice, the team performed a 'Penskectomy' and the Ricor IAS was installed. The SV650 won first place by over 23 seconds. IMO, it's like bringing a gun to a knife fight. The rider commented the bike didn't jump out over the bumps like with the Penske.

Unfortunately, I have a Triumph, which could end up being pretty far down their to-do list, but you guys might be happy about it... :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

phishnut posted:

Depending on who you are, you may or may not care, but apparently the SV650 is about to get a set of brand new Ricor shocks that're currently under development...

The KLR650 just got em and the SV650 is next:

and a guy from Ricor just posted this:

Unfortunately, I have a Triumph, which could end up being pretty far down their to-do list, but you guys might be happy about it... :)

It's worth noting that the SV650 mentioned is being ridden by Dave Raff, who was the 2008 650P winner. I'm sure their stuff is good, but he's got a history of running really, really drat well, and is a fantastic rider. I'm also curious as to how much their shocks are going to cost...

Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked for any development for the SV, but it's not like the Intiminators were the main factor that got him on the front line like they imply. I've talked to him about them in person and while he was very complimentary of them, I didn't get the impression that they were any better than the AK20s that the production front runners run. Although the fact that they exist on the same level as a set of high quality cartridge internals is pretty impressive, and for the price, they can't be beat, but it's not like the Intiminators took him from back marker to race winner, he was winning races and championships long before he ever got hooked up with Ricor. Although it's smart of them to choose someone who's already winning to run their stuff ;)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

:sigh: double post.

Is that the undertail you need?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Mine has that...had something underneath it which is what fell off. I made a trip to home depot and made something to hold the plate, still need to make something to cover the hole under the seat but thats minor. Thanks though

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Mine has that...had something underneath it which is what fell off. I made a trip to home depot and made something to hold the plate, still need to make something to cover the hole under the seat but thats minor. Thanks though

No problem, sorry it took me so long to post pics :ohdear:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Holy loving hell. Dude takes his sv650 out for 2 supermoto races.....

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=88535

Only registered members can see post attachments!

phishnut
Apr 28, 2002

HO HO HO

Z3n posted:

It's worth noting that the SV650 mentioned is being ridden by Dave Raff, who was the 2008 650P winner. I'm sure their stuff is good, but he's got a history of running really, really drat well, and is a fantastic rider. I'm also curious as to how much their shocks are going to cost...

Yeah, I realize that there's a lot of marketing bluster going around, but they really sound like great shocks... The guys at Ricor are saying that the Intiminators are limited since they're just a bandaid for old fork tech, but since these new shocks are a self-contained unit, they're free to use all of their advancements from their Baja shocks, etc...

So far, the KLR guys are really digging them:

some guy posted:

Today I took it for a run down some bitumen roads, dirt roads and tracks that I ride quite a bit so I know them well. We had a howling wind today and I thought I just can’t get into the groove, I was missing braking markers, running a bit wide and not quite with it, then I took notice of my speed and I think I was averaging an extra 10-20kmh approaching each corner, so that was the reason. It just didn’t feel like I was going faster, that is how much smoother it is. So re-adjust brain to compensate.

On the dirt road with corrugations it was fantastic no chatter and no kick from the rear end, tracked and handled superbly. Was able to powerslide out of turns with the rear doing what I wanted it to do. I then went into an area with grass and there is a jump there that is about 3ft, normally the bike would bottom out and jar me badly from this, today I jumped it 4 times going faster each time and the bike landed as nice as a KLR can and never bottomed, my body really appreciated this. I then went up a steep grassy cattle track (single track) and it gripped and handled the bumps brilliantly, at the top there was a sharp left then drop off, for a moment I thought this is going to be bad, but it turned and dropped down the other side without a problem. Coming back down the hill the rear felt planted and tracked true.

Back onto some more fast dirt roads and the thing is just a hoot, grips and you can slide the back out and know where it and the front is. So much more fun than before. The acceleration out of corners is much improved and the grin fractor just gets bigger.

Now onto a washed out 4WD track that I know, I was flying along at a pace that I have never been near before. There are massive ruts, water run offs and holes and I could aim the bike and it would go there, if I hit a big hole, it just soaked it up. When I stopped for a rest, I realised that I wasn’t panting or sweating and I am not very fit, so it makes riding physically much easier. I found myself throwing it around a lot more, blasting out of corners with the back stepping out with confidence. So again, WOW.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Well for better or worse I took the SV down to the Gap this afternoon. Drove the truck down and helped do an end of the season cleanup from 7-10:30 or so. Did a few runs before traffic started to get bad and headed home. Made some lunch, looked at maps and tried to decide where I wanted to ride today. Was actually looking for a different road but after missing a turn and being generally lost I saw a sign for 129 and decided to go for it.

Got there around 5 and only saw one other bike headed towards but tons were driving away...good sign. I took it very easy and just enjoyed the road, put it in second gear and just concentrated on my line and having fun. Thanks to the engine braking I could have done the whole run without touching the brakes, rarely needed to use them. I was able to get more comfortable leaning the bike and worked on looking through the corner where possible.

One thing I did find that I need to work on is getting off the bike, I didn't think the gap was an ideal spot to start playing with that but I did for a few of the hairpins I did slide off to the side and while I felt good I wasn't able to get back on smoothly. I've been doing it on the way to/from work on one of the twisty roads that I am on each day.

I did realize a few things...First that bike is very very capable and it is going to be a long time before I am able to get everything out of it. Secondly I have a lot to learn, from body position to easing on/off the brake. Third if you want to ride the road do it before 11am or after 5pm, a lot less traffic and I didn't get stuck behind anyone. Overall it was a blast and I'm really glad I went, now I'm trying to decide if I want to do the group ride tomorrow down there. I'm a bit sore and my body is not used to these 3-4 hour rides.

Also didn't cross the center-line once...if I can do it anyone can.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 4, 2009

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I found a really nice 2005 SV650 that has a lot of good components on it, but it is of course a fairingless bike, and I want a fairing. The guy also replaced the stock headlight assembly with a twin headlight setup, and perhaps the mount for that is custom as well.

How much pain and suffering and dollars will it take to slap on a reasonable windscreen (I don't even care about having a lower fairing) akin to the SV650S? I might even not need a headlight, since my main goal is to have some wind protection during track days where you don't need a headlight. Could someone suggest a full solution for this, brackets and all?

And also, how difficult is it to install clip-ons? It has a regular handlebar setup right now.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 5, 2009

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Installing clip-ons seems pretty painless provided you're okay with a couple holes in the top triple. Only thing you need to worry about is the cables and hoses being too long, but it's not really a big deal. The other alternative is swapping in clubman bars which is considerably cheaper and gives a very similar riding position.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

French Canadian posted:

I found a really nice 2005 SV650 that has a lot of good components on it, but it is of course a fairingless bike, and I want a fairing. The guy also replaced the stock headlight assembly with a twin headlight setup, and perhaps the mount for that is custom as well.

How much pain and suffering and dollars will it take to slap on a reasonable windscreen (I don't even care about having a lower fairing) akin to the SV650S? I might even not need a headlight, since my main goal is to have some wind protection during track days where you don't need a headlight. Could someone suggest a full solution for this, brackets and all?

And also, how difficult is it to install clip-ons? It has a regular handlebar setup right now.

What sort of fairing do you want? You could swap on a SV650S fairing stay, headlight, etc. but you may have to do some form of trickery with mounting brackets/gauges.

If you're just looking to run a small additional fairing, you could slap on a Buell Flyscreen.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

What sort of fairing do you want? You could swap on a SV650S fairing stay, headlight, etc. but you may have to do some form of trickery with mounting brackets/gauges.

If you're just looking to run a small additional fairing, you could slap on a Buell Flyscreen.

I'd love to at least have something like the SV650S, with a regular sized windscreen and everything. But again, I can probably do without the headlight since I mainly want this for track use. That fly screen looks pretty neat, though.

What would be involved in installing an SV650S fairing stay? Are those pretty expensive, given that they are OEM? I also recall a company that made inexpensive aftermarket fairing brackets for sportbikes. Perhaps it was mentioned on this forum.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

French Canadian posted:

I'd love to at least have something like the SV650S, with a regular sized windscreen and everything. But again, I can probably do without the headlight since I mainly want this for track use. That fly screen looks pretty neat, though.

What would be involved in installing an SV650S fairing stay? Are those pretty expensive, given that they are OEM? I also recall a company that made inexpensive aftermarket fairing brackets for sportbikes. Perhaps it was mentioned on this forum.

Delkevic makes replacement fairing stays, but none for the SV.

I'd try hunting around on an SV specific site like SVrider. They'll probably have info on swaps from SVS to Naked and vice versa and what needs to be done.

If it's for track only use, I'd just pick up a cheap aluminum fairing stay from a place like Endurance Engineering, and put some race fairings on it.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

Delkevic makes replacement fairing stays, but none for the SV.

I'd try hunting around on an SV specific site like SVrider. They'll probably have info on swaps from SVS to Naked and vice versa and what needs to be done.

If it's for track only use, I'd just pick up a cheap aluminum fairing stay from a place like Endurance Engineering, and put some race fairings on it.

I just email EE about SV650 race fairing brackets, and if their solution is simple enough I might go that route, then. I'm not opposed to making my own brackets, either, I suppose.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Is there anything actually wrong with the Gladius, other than the dumb name and the subjective looks?

Per z3n's advice I'm going to pick up a used racing SV for track when I get down to CA, but would like something for commuting here. The price new is fine for me, and the riding position looks a lot better for commuting and weekend trips, as well as being a better transition from underpowered dualsports and ancient dirt bikes to a real street bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

Is there anything actually wrong with the Gladius, other than the dumb name and the subjective looks?

Per z3n's advice I'm going to pick up a used racing SV for track when I get down to CA, but would like something for commuting here. The price new is fine for me, and the riding position looks a lot better for commuting and weekend trips, as well as being a better transition from underpowered dualsports and ancient dirt bikes to a real street bike.

No, nothing wrong with it. It's still essentially an SV. I'm curious to ride one, but I have a feeling it'll be just like the SV650N, which is one of my favorite bikes.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
I test rode one last month and it's pretty much entirely the same as the naked SV. The engine feels smoother although I can't put my finger on exactly what's different compared to the SV but the front suspension is just as poo poo.

On sv650.org there's someone with a Gladius who has been fairly busy modifying it cosmetically. He's cut off most of the plastics, fitted a new exhaust and some other stuff, which makes it look pretty drat good too.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

When are you getting down to CA? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna wind up selling my SV, and it's fairly well set up for the track, especially if you weigh in the neighborhood of 200 lbs. Email me at thermald (at) gmail if you're interested.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Zenaida posted:

When are you getting down to CA? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna wind up selling my SV, and it's fairly well set up for the track, especially if you weigh in the neighborhood of 200 lbs. Email me at thermald (at) gmail if you're interested.

Within the next year or so, I appreciate it, but don't go holding on to it for me.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Within the next year or so, I appreciate it, but don't go holding on to it for me.

I'm not in a big hurry to sell it, and I'd prefer to sell it to someone who can properly appreciate (with $) the suspension work I've put into it.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I managed to track down a guy who did a naked to race faired SV conversion, and it seems pretty simple. I only need the Vortex fairing stay, and then a few OEM brackets and I should be able to mount a regular set of race fairings. Now should I go for Catalyst or Armour Bodies?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Can't really go wrong with either, from what I hear.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
I just finished converting my S to an N and I sold all the bracketry and plastics on SVRider or eBay. It's a pretty popular swap lately, so the leftover parts are readily available. I still have my first-gen gauge pod to get rid of if you're looking for one.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Aww son of a bitch. Cleaning the chain I found a stiff spot. Spinning the wheel around, when that spot hits the front sprocket the resistance increases, then as the spot goes past it spins like normal.

What chain/sprocket combo have you guys had good luck with on the SV? I would prefer longevity over performance/weight.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Z3n posted:

No, nothing wrong with it. It's still essentially an SV. I'm curious to ride one, but I have a feeling it'll be just like the SV650N, which is one of my favorite bikes.
It pulls a bit harder, vibrates a bit less, and handles almost exactly the same as the older SV. The same soft SV suspension is there. It's great for me in the city, but definitely limits the bike in the twists. I'd love to do a GSX swap, but it's too expensive a mod to justify.

One interesting difference that you'd notice is the secondary throttle butterfly. It's ECU controlled, and the computer takes a lot of the edge off the engine braking, which makes blip-shifting a lot easier. It also makes for odd behavior at low speed and barely-open throttle.

Edit:

Z3n posted:

Springs are all that most riders need to really transform the SV's front end, although Ricor Intimators or RaceTech gold valves can help too.
Now that's something I should look into.

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 6, 2009

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
It's starting to cool down here in Texas, time to get back on my bike :)

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

It's starting to cool down here in Texas, time to get back on my bike :)

Back from the dead! Good to see you alive and kicking :)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yessir! Just got my pilot's license and now I'm able to get back on the bike for any length of time :D

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Captain Apollo posted:

Yessir! Just got my pilot's license and now I'm able to get back on the bike for any length of time :D

So how much is it going to cost us to load the bikes in the back and fly out to some random Caribbean island and ride around for a week?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
On my sv 1000 I replaced both the handlebars, but now I can't get the triple clamp (not the main one underneath, the top cover one) to get on all the way. It may be because the forks are slightly bent, but I was told by someone that the fasteners may have been jolted in the high speed crash and that if I just loosen all the bolts and screws, then re-tighten them back up everything will re-align. Is this true, has anyone ever heard or done this?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

blugu64 posted:

So how much is it going to cost us to load the bikes in the back and fly out to some random Caribbean island and ride around for a week?

We're going to need a bigger plane hahaha

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

On my sv 1000 I replaced both the handlebars, but now I can't get the triple clamp (not the main one underneath, the top cover one) to get on all the way. It may be because the forks are slightly bent, but I was told by someone that the fasteners may have been jolted in the high speed crash and that if I just loosen all the bolts and screws, then re-tighten them back up everything will re-align. Is this true, has anyone ever heard or done this?

It's absolutely possible. Loosen everything up, pump the front forks as best as you can, and go from there.

Chances are if it doesn't line up nicely, though, the lower triple is tweaked. Loosen the bottom axle and pinch bolts and pump the forks through their travel and then loosen the triples (with the bike supported so it doesn't slide down the fork tubes) and if things will straighten out, they'll straighten out then. Once everything's been loosened up and given a chance to return to it's natural position, give it another shot.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Captain Apollo posted:

We're going to need a bigger plane hahaha

I've got no masculinity issues with the honda express :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Thanks, and I got one more question:

How do I properly align the handlebars? Any tools or techniques that can be recommended? I of course need to have both sides the exact same height and angle.

And, is there a recommended angle and height? I want the most lean forward, in control, racing body position (I've been doing it so long I feel more comfortable than sitting up).

• Locked thread