Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Kessel posted:

So when you guys say "play on random" do you mean the sane one or the crazy one?
IIDX's "random" is DJ MAX's "random".

agscala posted:

isn't there one more level of random that you get by spelling something out with the first letter in the names of songs?
I'll just paraphrase Remy Wiki on the whole subject:
On Random, the non-scratch lanes change.
On Random+, all lanes are changed.
On S-Random, the non-scratch notes change.
On Samurai S-Random, the non-scratch notes change in a way so as to avoid jackhammers.

To play on Samurai S-Random, you need to spell out SRAN with the first letters of the names of the songs or artists (depending on version).

There are also other modifiers, like All-Scratch, which assigns one note of every chord at random to scratch (if the chord has no scratch) and then either leaves the other notes alone, or randomizes each of the other notes of the chord.

dirby fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grahamtams
May 16, 2005

Graham is Our Man
The sane one is Random, the crazy one is S-Random which will cause lots of jack-hammers to show up (lots of notes in the same lane in a row). I always have Random on unless I want to see what the non-random is like. I don't usually mess with S-Random, although it would help me. It's just too crazy to leave on 100% of the time.

Eventually playing on Random just feels like you are playing normally. I don't think playing on S-Random will ever feel normal.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I actually find some songs to be easier on S-Random, but mostly 5 key revivals like 321 Stars and Caldera.

Don't forget ALL-SCR which turns all notes into scratches (except chords, where one note becomes a scratch and the rest are left where they are). Fun stuff.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

helopticor posted:

There are also other modifiers, like All-Scratch, which is like S-Random+ except every time there's a bunch (just 1 counts as a bunch) of notes, one of them is randomly assigned to the turntable before the rest are randomly assigned.

Xythar posted:

Don't forget ALL-SCR which turns all notes into scratches (except chords, where one note becomes a scratch and the rest are left where they are). Fun stuff.

I didn't forget it, I just misrepresented it (if the rest of the notes really are left where they are).
Edit:...maybe

dirby fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 21, 2009

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Oh maybe they are, I don't really remember too well.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Watch Out!! + All-Scratch = The Best Song Ever

Snowberries
Oct 14, 2008

Kakumei 14k Allscr

It's not too hard, but watch out (haha) for RSI

(Kakumei 7k works too obviously if you can't play doubles)

Fun fact: Kakumei 14k Allscr conveniently places the notes where you can hit them (so it's like SSSSSS1SSS on 1P side and SSSSSS7SSS on 2P)

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I tried Quasar [a] allscr once at the arcade, it was painful.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I just posted about this in the DS thread, but since you don't need a DS for this and it's partially based on IIDX, I figured I'd post it here too.

Someone made a PC version of the カラテ家(Karate Joe) levels from the two Japanese Rhythm Heaven games (plus a remix of the DS game's song). The PC game uses a similar health-bar/grading/menu/options system to IIDX.

You can download it here. Just unzip the zip file and run karatekamania.exe.

There's a possibility that when it starts up, a message will appear with "32" in it, if that happens, it's asking to change your color depth, and clicking confirm (I forget what it says; probably はい or OK, if it even gives you a choice) should get you past it.

For those who can't read Japanese, here are the controls:
To punch: click OR tap space bar
To kick: hold mouse button and then release while mouse is in motion OR hold space bar and press up (while holding space bar)

Just like in the DS game, you have to punch everything except the bombs inside of barrels, which must be kicked (but you can hold the punch that you used to open the barrel to kick them more easily).

Edit: Also, you can add your own songs with the program in the "maker" folder.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
I've got some DJ Dao questions, as I'm seriously considering buying one.

What's the difference between the FP7 and the platinum edition, other than turntable size? I don't see much description on the web site, except for some terrible Engrish about the PE. Does turntable size really make a difference, or is it just an aesthetic deal? Is it possible to later, as a separate order, get the wrist-rest for either the FP7 or PE?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

DJ Max Trilogy arrived yesterday.

It's a great game, but seriously? Why did they import the grind from the online version? Was that necessary :mad:

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I'm at level 55 now and counting. Just 20 levels more until I unlock all the songs!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

glompix posted:

I've got some DJ Dao questions, as I'm seriously considering buying one.

What's the difference between the FP7 and the platinum edition, other than turntable size? I don't see much description on the web site, except for some terrible Engrish about the PE. Does turntable size really make a difference, or is it just an aesthetic deal? Is it possible to later, as a separate order, get the wrist-rest for either the FP7 or PE?

Turntable size and placement makes a big difference. The game tends to be harder with the turntable further away from the keys (and larger), but it's more arcade accurate that way.

I'd definitely recommend trying to find an arcade cab or someone with an ASC before making that decision, since for some people it makes a REALLY big difference.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

One of the arcades I go to got a DJ MAX Technika cabinet. I like the game a lot. Only problem the track list isn't that big. Besides that I love playing the game. Plus having headphone jacks is the greatest thing they can do for arcade music games. Went and played a few times this week, getting decent but still suck overall.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Xythar posted:

I'm at level 55 now and counting. Just 20 levels more until I unlock all the songs!

I think the best part is that you have to buy songs, then unlock them by playing through them.

What a mess.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Well, I dunno why you'd unlock songs if you didn't want to play them :confused:

I've found that low speed + towel turns 7/8K from "completely unreadable" to "basically 5/6K with pinky scratch on each side". I still can't do it well, but at least I don't get completely screwed over by a single 8K stage in a mission. Unless it's a hard mission.

Also, play Fever Time on 2X with towel to have it at a constant speed regardless of whether fever is on or not. It took me way too long to figure this out.

Grahamtams
May 16, 2005

Graham is Our Man
I updated my Distored scores, Radix. Unfortunately you still own my face on some songs. Apparently I am not so good at fast (or slow) scales which seemed to be the theme of every song I'm behind on.

I might switch to some DJ Troopers before Empress comes out. Just a little bit longer!

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I actually have not played any beatmania in the past month or so, so I may boot it up tonight and see where I stack up with you at this point. Comparing scores though, it looks to me like the songs where I really come out ahead are the ones I really really like. This will give me a chance to diversify a little I guess.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.
I ordered Troopers from Play-Asia on September 7th. It shipped on September 14th, and it still hasn't arrived. I really hope I don't have to dispute charges with them again.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Dewgy posted:

Turntable size and placement makes a big difference. The game tends to be harder with the turntable further away from the keys (and larger), but it's more arcade accurate that way.

I'd definitely recommend trying to find an arcade cab or someone with an ASC before making that decision, since for some people it makes a REALLY big difference.

Seeing how I only use my left hand for 1 and 2, and have lanky piano hands in general, I'm not too worried about that. I haven't played on an arcade machine since 9th style was hot poo poo, and I was just starting, so who knows.

On an unrelated note, Ristaccia and Anisakis hyper down! I swear this game makes you feel like a god when you make sudden leaps in progression.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Xythar posted:

Well, I dunno why you'd unlock songs if you didn't want to play them :confused:

I've found that low speed + towel turns 7/8K from "completely unreadable" to "basically 5/6K with pinky scratch on each side". I still can't do it well, but at least I don't get completely screwed over by a single 8K stage in a mission. Unless it's a hard mission.

Also, play Fever Time on 2X with towel to have it at a constant speed regardless of whether fever is on or not. It took me way too long to figure this out.

I want to play them in freestyle :( Well, it's not a major bother.

I don't like 8K at all. It's a little like trying to play every note of every instrument in a song for just over two minutes.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

very posted:

I ordered Troopers from Play-Asia on September 7th. It shipped on September 14th, and it still hasn't arrived. I really hope I don't have to dispute charges with them again.

Why is it their fault if the postal service is slow? Once it ships it's out of their hands. If you want it more quickly or accountably then pay for a courier service that has a tracking number (unless you did, in which case get that tracking number and call up the courier company to bust heads)

The el cheapo shipping does seem to be slower of late (I've had recent orders take up to 2 weeks to arrive when they used to only take 6-7 days) but again, out of their hands. Unless they are lying about ship date and I doubt that.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry
Guys what if DJ Hero ends up blowing IIDX out of the water like Guitar Hero did to Guitar Freaks :ohdear:

very
Jan 25, 2005

Xythar posted:

Why is it their fault if the postal service is slow? Once it ships it's out of their hands. If you want it more quickly or accountably then pay for a courier service that has a tracking number (unless you did, in which case get that tracking number and call up the courier company to bust heads)

The el cheapo shipping does seem to be slower of late (I've had recent orders take up to 2 weeks to arrive when they used to only take 6-7 days) but again, out of their hands. Unless they are lying about ship date and I doubt that.

Yeah, I'm just being irrational. I'm not even that bothered by not having the game.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

hammeredspace posted:

Guys what if DJ Hero ends up blowing IIDX out of the water like Guitar Hero did to Guitar Freaks :ohdear:

Since it doesn't really have anything to do with IIDX in terms of gameplay or otherwise this is kind of like saying "What if Brutal Legend ends up blowing Demon's Souls out of the water??" e.g. "should we care?"

very
Jan 25, 2005

hammeredspace posted:

I don't think IIDX is really "in the water." It will probably wind up doing better than Scratch, but I think I prefer the concept of Scratch. DJ Hero has... buttons on a turntable..??

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

very posted:

I don't think IIDX is really "in the water." It will probably wind up doing better than Scratch, but I think I prefer the concept of Scratch. DJ Hero has... buttons on a turntable..??

Yeah, I'm not entirely sold on the whole idea yet either. Supposedly Best Buy just put up their DJ Hero demo booths so I suppose you could go give it a shot if you wanted to.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
I know if DJ Hero becomes popular, it's going to be harder to accurately explain what IIDX is. "Oh! It's like that DJ Hero game, right? Does it have Eminem on it?" Also, it will give me another excuse to say, "heh. silly gaijin :smug:"

I know it's not always rational to hate when something obscure you really like becomes popular. Hell, I prefer Guitar Hero's gameplay to that of Guitar Freaks. But goddamnit, they're playing a dumbed-down bastardization of my game. I guess I'm just narcissistic or prone to nerd-rage or something, and I wish I weren't like that.

VVV Don't forget Para Para Paradise. I'd actually love it to see Harmonix or whoever pick that one up.

glompix fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 7, 2009

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

hammeredspace posted:

I'm not even sure IIDX and DJ Hero are in the same ballpark :confused:

Ballparks include:
Beatmania, DJ Max
DJ Hero, Scratch
Guitar Hero, Rock Band

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
Holy poo poo they are importing Tamayura from GF/DM into Empress?

Sold. as if i wasn't already

(I guess at this rate there's never going to be Timepiece Phase II or this one that I don't know how to romanize but I'll take what I can get)

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

Kessel posted:

I'm not even sure IIDX and DJ Hero are in the same ballpark :confused:

How not? To me there's a lot the two have in common. Like, the difference between an organ and a piano, at best.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

What, because they're both supposed to simulate DJing? That's like saying Gran Turismo and Mario Kart have a lot in common, although that's not a great example because those two have more in common than IIDX and DJ Hero.

Song previews of Electrorgasm (seriously), Tori-no-kimochi, Troposphere and Flag of Peace are up on the Empress CS site. Too bad none of the CS songs so far appear to have videos, so they probably cut corners on this game bigtime.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Considering how much content is going to be on the discs, I'm not going to mind missing a few unique videos. Most people I know play with them off anyway.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

leather fedora posted:

Considering how much content is going to be on the discs, I'm not going to mind missing a few unique videos. Most people I know play with them off anyway.

I play with videos off most of the time too. That's not the problem, it's just that it's symptomatic of Konami doing a half-assed job on the game. Hopefully that prediction is wrong.

The 'content' we know about is nothing that special, we have a lot of revivals but most are from recent games so I don't care that much about it. What will make or break this is good CS songs, 5 key revivals and black another charts and so far we only know a little bit about the former and nothing about the other two.

My view is probably biased since I already played the hell out of all the songs in Empress but yeah.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

Xythar posted:

What, because they're both supposed to simulate DJing? That's like saying Gran Turismo and Mario Kart have a lot in common, although that's not a great example because those two have more in common than IIDX and DJ Hero.

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat here but can you illustrate the major differences between the two for me because I am apparently too dumb to figure it out on my own.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

IIDX is based on hitting notes that fall down on a miniature piano-like keyboard while occasionally flicking a disc with your pinky while DJ Hero appears to be based primarily around scratching while holding down buttons and using a crossfader. It's sort of like saying IIDX is the same thing as Guitar Hero because both games involve pressing buttons, whereas pressing buttons is the primary means of control in IIDX but in Guitar Hero the buttons modify the behaviour of the pick.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

hammeredspace posted:

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat here but can you illustrate the major differences between the two for me because I am apparently too dumb to figure it out on my own.

The best way I know how to describe it is that DJ Hero is a DJ simulator and IIDX is a calculator simulator.

edit: though I like it, apparently I heard that term here http://g4tv.com/games/arc/16834/Beatmania/review/ :ughh:

glompix fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 8, 2009

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Someone tell me why I still can't pass Colors (Radio Edit) [H]?

I get A's on stuff like evergreen [A] which I think is a 10 but screw you Colors. :argh:

Also, hyped for Empress CS for the revival stuff hell yes.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

The end part with the polyrhythms is really confusing for a lot of people

I recommend knowing the "left" part of the chart first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Polyrhythms? drat it's eurhythmics for your fingers!

I've gone into training mode and split the chart like you suggested before. It's just frustrating since I've been trying to pass this thing since 6th style.