Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Soooo. Knights in the Knightmare...I don't know how to play this. I mean, I know how to play it, but not how to play it. What should I be going for? Should I try to upgrade weapons all the time? Is it worth it to sacrifice units? Do I use up any resources when I replay levels from the title screen? Argh this game is confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The evade glitch was fixed in the GBA version

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

One more FF6 (at least SNES) tip:

Odin is the only esper that has Speed+1 as his level up bonus. If you change him into Raiden, he loses it, and you won't be able to raise your character's natural speed.

EDIT: Apparently this is not the case in the GBA version.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Scalding Coffee posted:

Have Relm fight enemies and use Sketch ...no, forget that idea, you can either gently caress up the games saves or get random awesome goodness. You should Google the glitches of Relm.

This glitch was fixed in the PS1 version, so it's probably fixed in the GBA version too.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I know the previous page mentioned the original version of the game, but what are some good tips for Persona 1 for the PSP. I'm betting the ones for the previous game might still work, but since they rebalanced the game for the PSP, it may not be entirely accurate.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

I know the previous page mentioned the original version of the game, but what are some good tips for Persona 1 for the PSP. I'm betting the ones for the previous game might still work, but since they rebalanced the game for the PSP, it may not be entirely accurate.

Also, does anyone know if there is any reward or interesting features while playing in Expert mode? So far posters on other forums mention there be no difference except enemy damage and other calculations.

Oh, and is it possible to have Yukino and Chris in the same party? I remember there were two other characters I didn't care much about that will not join up if the other is present. But wasn't sure about this case.

Not sure if anyone else is this far yet, but I recall entering the optional/new dungeon prevents you from leaving until you complete it. So take care to stock up beforehand or even have a save prior to starting it.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys, I just reinstalled Rise of Nations. Any advice?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I'm just starting out on Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for Wii. I've heard I should scan everything and I've started out doing it but it seems kinda tedious. Is it really that important? Any other tips?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You don't have to scan anything if you don't want to, but it does provide cool background about the game world and the enemies.

AnotherBodak
Apr 3, 2006
I like to watch.
Having quite a lot of trouble with Prototype - not sure if it's me or the controls, but I find myself getting blown up quite a bit if I ever try and stand my ground and take on more than 2-3 tanks and helicopters. I'm about an hour or so in,and have just lost my powers thanks to the virus the army guy gave me with mostly health and movement powers upgraded.

Any suggestions?

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Vidaeus posted:

I'm just starting out on Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for Wii. I've heard I should scan everything and I've started out doing it but it seems kinda tedious. Is it really that important? Any other tips?

- Go to Bryyo before Elysia.

- Look for as many energy tanks as you can possibly find.

- During boss fights, use hypermode sparingly until they're near-death. You'll usually need it to finish them off, and since it eats up your energy if you rely on it too much at the start of the fight, you'll have none left for the end.

- Make sure you build the giant golem on Bryyo.

- Remember to backtrack through old levels once you've gotten weapon upgrades (heat ray, ice missiles, etc.).

- If you get stuck in a level and can't figure out what to do next, try looking at things through your command visor (the one that lets you interact with your ship).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

AnotherBodak posted:

Having quite a lot of trouble with Prototype - not sure if it's me or the controls, but I find myself getting blown up quite a bit if I ever try and stand my ground and take on more than 2-3 tanks and helicopters. I'm about an hour or so in,and have just lost my powers thanks to the virus the army guy gave me with mostly health and movement powers upgraded.

Any suggestions?

To be honest, you shouldnt be standing still when fighting, like ever. I'd also recommend hijacking as many tanks/helicopters as you can, if memory serves you dont take any damage until it blows up. Upgrading your health and getting the whipfist "remote hijacking" power (whatever it was called) are way more important than any of the combat upgrades (they are mainly pretty useless). Movement powers are also invaluable. Any time you are running low on health, run down a sidestreet, grab someone while running then consume them. Its marginally harder if you are going for the "no innocents killed" type acheivement, but in that case 1) grab an infected or a soldier and 2) gently caress that achievement anyway.

For the particular part you are at, I dont remember any specific advice, just power through until you get the powers back its not actually that much further into the game.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Vidaeus posted:

As others have said, most scans are pointless. Do be sure to scan enemies. The scans will usually give you an idea of what's the best way to kill them.

At least pop take a look around with the Scan visor in most rooms, the red scans are important. Usually, they're plot, but sometimes not. Most of the rest of the room scans are filler. The odd one will clue you into a secret passage. General rule of thumb is scan rubble, cracked walls, enemies, machinery, and things you see in multiple rooms.

Avoid back tracking to Norion until you have the Nova Beam.

If you've gone into hyper mode and were planning on shooting until you ran out of phazon, think again. After some time your phazon will start building, extending the number of shots you can fire before running out of energy. Just don't let the bar fill or else you'll die.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Just got Tropico, any tips?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

How about Crackdown?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Hey guys, just got Kane and Lynch. Any advice (or is the best advice not to play)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Capm posted:

How about Crackdown?

Gather the agility tokens you find on roofs and such. You can travel much faster.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Hey guys, just got Kane and Lynch. Any advice (or is the best advice not to play)

It's a straight forward game but the later levels get tough so don't play hero. Your partners seem to take a lot more damage than you can so send them ahead of you to draw enemy fire while you find a good flanking position. The last 1/4 of the game gives you control of a small team and it totally made up for the bland early levels. A tear rolled down my eye as I remembered this game is running on what could have been the Freedom Fighters 2 engine.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Capm posted:

How about Crackdown?

Although it's not practical at all for actual progress in the game, the following things are fun:

1) Limpet mines that you attach to your own vehicle can be detonated while you are driving, or right after you bail out if you don't want to die gloriously.
2) People get ejected from their vehicles in an amusing fashion when said vehicle is thrown into water from a bridge
3) Shoot tires on the highway if you're bored.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Capm posted:

How about Crackdown?

If you want to level up driving you're going to have to cheese it as the game sucks at giving it to you through natural play. Don't worry about it too much though because you're probably NEVER going to be in a car as its faster to free run across rooftops.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

"Taerkar posted:

3) Shoot tires on the highway if you're bored.

This is absolutely hilarious and the game's physics are so insane that massive pileups are awesome.

muscles like this? posted:

If you want to level up driving you're going to have to cheese it as the game sucks at giving it to you through natural play. Don't worry about it too much though because you're probably NEVER going to be in a car as its faster to free run across rooftops.

The easiest way to level up driving is by ramming people. Doing the racing missions is too slow. The 2nd island has tons of guys who stick to the ground (the 1st island has too many enclosed areas and by the 3rd island enemies stick to rooftops). I fully leveled my car in 10 minutes by doing the final "cleaning" missions simply by ramming half the enemies that show up at city hall or whatever then waiting a minute for them to respawn.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I'm having a very bad time with Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP) any suggestions with this one? I also heard that it's more or less of an upgrade from the previous entries but I've never played any of these games and it's kicking my rear end. My main request is if there a good way to improve your character given how there's no exp and all.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

The Capm posted:

How about Crackdown?

Sniping people from the rooftops builds your agility as well as your gun skill. Don't shoot people from the street if you aren't maxed out on agility yet. Agility is possibly the most useful of the stats, since it lets you fly around the map quickly, jump really high, and climb buildings easier.

The final assault of the final boss is a huge pain in the rear end. The building is a bitch and a half to climb, and I'm pretty sure you can't get all the way up from the outside. The fight itself is stupidly quick, though, especially if you just punch him in the face so hard he goes flying off the side.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

al-azad posted:

A tear rolled down my eye as I remembered this game is running on what could have been the Freedom Fighters 2 engine.

Oh gently caress, I completely forgot about that game. I think it might be in my top 5, I loved it so much.

Now I'm sad too. Thanks.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Mayor McCheese posted:

I'm having a very bad time with Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP) any suggestions with this one? I also heard that it's more or less of an upgrade from the previous entries but I've never played any of these games and it's kicking my rear end. My main request is if there a good way to improve your character given how there's no exp and all.

Err... you check the thread? It's chock full of this sort of thing.

In Monster Hunter, you have to bear in mind first and foremost that you're literally fighting a Dragon with a goddamn pointy stick. If you don't use every advantage you can drum up, it's your rear end. Use traps, use flashbombs, paintball them and run the hell away to heal if you have to. Don't go at it like a fair fight.

Go through the training missions and feel out the basics of the game, especially the weapons. Bowguns and Bow and Arrow are pretty awful to start with in my opinion, but it's your call. The best starting weapon is probably Sword and Shield, it has a decent blocking ability, you don't overcommit to attacks, and you can use items without putting it away (hold block and hit Square). Hammer is pretty good to start with too, but you have to train yourself to only superpound (stationary charge attack), the other attacks take a bit more finesse and knowledge of the game to pull off well.

Also, classic rookie mistake: Don't do the guild missions first, do the old lady missions.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

apekillape posted:

Err... you check the thread? It's chock full of this sort of thing.

Really, where? I didn't see Monster Hunter (unless it was in acronym) in the last 61 pages otherwise I'm not sure what you're suggesting.

I did all the training missions, but the game sort of assumes that you know what the hell you are doing. For example capturing a monster in the game has a learning curve that isn't explained very well. There's a lot in this game that they briefly touch on and it's hard to dig my teeth into it without getting killed out right. Like I said I'm terrible at this game.

Thanks for the advice though. I got to the second guild mission and I p. much gave up on the game thereafter. Edit: Er, rather that was poorly written. I don't want to give up on the game but I wasn't sure if the game was meant to be this hard and I was missing something or not. I'll take all the help that I can get.

VVVV Edit 2: Well poo poo I'm stupid! I honestly thought it was another one of those under the radar games that don't typically get their own thread. :doh: My apologies.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 5, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mayor McCheese posted:

Really, where? I didn't see Monster Hunter (unless it was in acronym) in the last 61 pages otherwise I'm not sure what you're suggesting.

I think he means to check the game's megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3158796

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I'm really early in the game, but so far I don't seem to be getting points to use on skills when I level up. When do I start getting those, and which skills are the most useful?

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

AnotherBodak posted:

Any suggestions?

I've bolded the problem. You have excellent mobility in the game. Use it.

Also, the Whipfist is ridiculously overpowered. I also never turned off Shield.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jolo posted:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I'm really early in the game, but so far I don't seem to be getting points to use on skills when I level up. When do I start getting those, and which skills are the most useful?

I don't know exactly when you start getting the skill points, but definitely focus on attacks first. It's pretty hard to die on normal difficulty (especially since you regenerate in between battles). I think I died once in the beginning due to actual combat. After that only few more times during QTEs or running away cutscene style.

You'll probably figure this out yourself but next time you see an explosive barrel, (or better yet multiples) get right up on that motherfucker and slash it. Move the camera to see your injuries. I must have spent at least as much time watching the incredibly badass healing system than playing the actual game.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Thanks for the help in Kane and Lynch. The game was pretty frustrating at times.

Just got Freedom Force off Steam (not Freedom Fighters). Played it a bit as a kid, but never got too far. Any protips on this one?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 for PC?

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

Vidaeus posted:

You'll find power-ups that permanently increase your stats. Either have a favorite team or a favorite character pick them up. Once you pick it up, it's applied. That's the major thing you want to watch out for.

Always try to have a character capable of flying on your team. They can reach secrets and items that the others can't reach. Iron Man isn't a bad choice, he has good party buffs and solid attacks.

If you're looking to zoom through the game, level up Deadpool and give him increased critical chance. Then have him do his Spinning sword special attack. I'm not sure if you need access to his alternate costume to get access to that increased critical chance.

Try to execute the Stun combo as much as you can. Pop-up combos are okay, but the hang time doesn't allow you to quickly do damage to the enemy.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vidaeus posted:

Not going to list a lot of tips, but one thing you must remember, don't leave SHIELD HQ, the starting undersea base area of Ocean level, or the "Castle Doom" part of Arcade level until you got everything. You can never return to those sections of the game.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
So I'm playing Pathologic and I've just started day three as the Haruspex.
I think I've got a system down (Do quests as quickly as possible during the day, harvest organs at night for twyne, try and keep a large reserve of food and don't waste money on ammo when you have a perfectly good knife...).

Is there anything direly important I should know before continuing on?

Tainted Ham fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 7, 2009

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Vidaeus posted:

Dr. Strange is entirely broken. His power that transforms enemies into boxes (I can't remember what it's called) works something like 50% of the time when it's fully leveled up and does good damage if it doesn't work. Those mooks you turn into boxes are in turn filled with healing items and money.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Any tips for someone just starting out Viewtiful Joe 2?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Looking through my collection of "Games that I picked up on a whim, played a couple times and never touched again" collection, I find Boiling Point. I'm sure there's an interesting game in there somewhere. But I could use some advice on how to go about playing this game without screwing myself over or similar.

Also still in the market for Tropico tips.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What should I know about Digital Devil Saga? I played through the first 'dungeon' once but haven't played it in years since. I'm thinking about going back to it. I'm kind of surprised that this isn't in the wiki, so go hog wild with suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anything I should know before really getting into Disgaea 2 (I'm playing it on the PSP if that makes any difference)? After about an hour or so, the basic mechanics seem pretty much like Disgaea 1 -- anything to keep in mind about the more advanced mechanics, character creation, etc.? Or can I basically approach it like Disgaea 1?