Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

ChiliMac posted:

Country/Provider: US/ AT&T

Current contract status: Out of contract

Budget (phone/plan): Currently paying 85+15 (two lines) for 1400 minutes and 500 SMS

Features I know I want: I don't need many minutes but my mom regularly comes up against the 1400 minute ceiling so I'd need as many or something to mitigate the usage (e.g. sprints any mobile-to-mobile should help reduce that number). I don't know the SMS usage I would need but I would think prepaid amount or an unlimited plan would be necessary for messaging.

Features that would be nice: Data plan of any sort.

If I were only shopping for my mom I could get her on sprint at a decent discount with any mobile-to-mobile and unlimited text and data (59.99) (only 500 minutes, but with any mobile-to-mobile I'm thinking that would still work). The problem is that there is no equivalent 500 minute family plan--it jumps to 1600 minutes and 110 dollars.

Advice?

Yes, it jumps to $110 with EPRP, but you get unlimited data, navigation, etc included in that price. Add those to your ATT family plan and see what you'd pay per month. If you're the only one who'll use data, it'll be more like you paying $20 more for data with a smartphone (which you'd pay ~30 for on att).

You could also hop on the $1 phone deal in the coupons forum, try for a 10% discount from Sprint (alliant or otherwise), and be paying $7 more a month over EPRP, and end up saving quite a bit in the first 2 years (see this post for single-line math (pre-tax)).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

Tedronai66 posted:

Yes, it jumps to $110 with EPRP, but you get unlimited data, navigation, etc included in that price. Add those to your ATT family plan and see what you'd pay per month. If you're the only one who'll use data, it'll be more like you paying $20 more for data with a smartphone (which you'd pay ~30 for on att).

Right but data is mostly a "want" and not a need at this point--the impetus for looking for a new plan is that my mom is looking for something cheaper. I'm not sure if this is really feasible in the first place, she may have to take a hit on features to make it happen.

Hrm.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

EvilCrayon posted:

So I have T-Mobile right now but my G1 broke last month. I still have the same contract plan and I do miss having gmail and internet on the go.

What I'm looking for is a phone that will double as a music player(one less thing to carry), has wi-fi and 3G. A camera would be nice too but I figure if it has any of the others, it probably has a camera.

I'm a little bit partial to having a full qwerty keypad but if a touchscreen's keyboard is decent, I wouldn't mind too much.

The one thing I didn't like about my g1 was the lack of 3.5mm headphone jack as well as it being kind of... flimsy. The screen was tilted all the time and the touchscreen didn't respond too well after a while.

I've considered the HTC Hero, Nokia N97, Moto CLIQ, and just going back to the G1 for a little bit.

Its pricey, but you want the Nokia N900. It has EVERYTHING you want: T-Mobile 3G, better camera than the G1, qwerty (slide out as well as on-screen), 3.5 mm jack, the works.

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!
Country/Provider: US / Verizon

Current contract status: Just got out of contract

Budget (phone/plan): Currently on family plan with no data plans, want to buy a new phone that's less than $100.

Features I know I want:
-music player (with a decent capacity for memory, I don't mind buying a 4-16gb MicroSD if it means I don't have to tote around an mp3 player in my pocket)
-ability to check email without paying some monthly fee (would be fine just being able to check it in wifi areas)
-works as a phone and can text

Features that would be nice: Wifi, good battery life

I don't really know anything about phones. I was looking at a sciphone g2 the other day and was considering getting it even without any kind of dataplan right now, then realized Verizon won't work with GSM, and that it's likely very lovely anyway.

Also thought about getting an ipod touch, but I'd still have to carry around my old phone (the battery sucks, and the '0' button is broken). Seriously, I'm clueless about how you get a phone that works for Verizon without buying it from them.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
I've been reading up on my choices, and I'm pretty certain I'll be going with Sprint's EPRP plan. I'd be doing the Everything Plus Data family plan with my wife. We both want messaging, GPS and mobile web.

I'm strongly leaning towards the Palm Pre. My wife will probably be messaging as much as she'll be talking. We're trying to decide between the Lotus, which is currently free online, and maybe the Blackberry Curve. Would the curve be worth the extra 50 bucks?

Knotty Naughty
Jul 11, 2003
* I'm with Verizon in the Best Country in the World, United States of America.

* I'm on a family plan with my Mom, and she's in charge of contract/budget. However, she says she's been wanting a BlackBerry or other smartphone, so I think there's a good bit of budget leeway. We'll be staying with Verizon, though. We're both eligible for phone upgrades and our contract will be out soon, so within Verizon, we have a lot of options.

* Features I would like: I don't need an App store and a billion other things, the only thing I would really like is a QWERTY keyboard that's not always exposed. I hate the BlackBerry design of a single keyboard that's always visible. Designs I do like include the Nokia Twist (I'm kind of partial to this phone actually, but I realize it's a complete triumph of form over function) and the LG enV (kind of like it but very reminiscent of mid-90s cell phone design while folded).

Bonuses would be a quite nice camera that functions well enough to post legible photos to Facebook and whatnot, and if it could sync with my Google Calendar and Gmail, well, that would be just lovely.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm currently a Verizon customer and very happy. Is anything related to contracts/plan pricing flexible if I call AT&T sales to get them to make me switch?

Currently: US/Verizon
Contract: Just getting out this month
Budget: Currenly pay $125 for two-phone family plan with text/crappy mobile web
Want: iPhones :)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

ShaneB posted:

I'm currently a Verizon customer and very happy. Is anything related to contracts/plan pricing flexible if I call AT&T sales to get them to make me switch?

Currently: US/Verizon
Contract: Just getting out this month
Budget: Currenly pay $125 for two-phone family plan with text/crappy mobile web
Want: iPhones :)

Check if your employer has an AT&T discount. That's the only way to bring down the cost of the $150/month family plan before taxes (2 iPhones with unlimited texting and the lowest family plan.)

Knotty Naughty posted:

* I'm with Verizon in the Best Country in the World, United States of America.

* I'm on a family plan with my Mom, and she's in charge of contract/budget. However, she says she's been wanting a BlackBerry or other smartphone, so I think there's a good bit of budget leeway. We'll be staying with Verizon, though. We're both eligible for phone upgrades and our contract will be out soon, so within Verizon, we have a lot of options.

* Features I would like: I don't need an App store and a billion other things, the only thing I would really like is a QWERTY keyboard that's not always exposed. I hate the BlackBerry design of a single keyboard that's always visible. Designs I do like include the Nokia Twist (I'm kind of partial to this phone actually, but I realize it's a complete triumph of form over function) and the LG enV (kind of like it but very reminiscent of mid-90s cell phone design while folded).

Bonuses would be a quite nice camera that functions well enough to post legible photos to Facebook and whatnot, and if it could sync with my Google Calendar and Gmail, well, that would be just lovely.

Why stay on Verizon? Are they the only carrier with service in your area? Sprint EPRP is what you'er looking for. Here's what EPRP offers for a family plan.

$109.99 - 1600 Minutes, unlimited data, text, and GPS, 7 PM N&W.

Way better deal than Verizon and you'll be getting around the same coverage unless you live in the middle of nowhere which is where Verizon has an advantage. Your mom could get the Tour on Sprint and you could get the Hero. The Hero is an Android phone, which means that you're going to get the best Google integration out of any phone. The only possible drawback is that it's touchscreen-only but I'm a BlackBerry user who has no problem with typing on an iPhone.

Knotty Naughty
Jul 11, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

Why stay on Verizon? Are they the only carrier with service in your area? Sprint EPRP is what you'er looking for. Here's what EPRP offers for a family plan.

Appreciate the advice, but it's really not my call, and we're both really happy with Verizon's coverage and customer service.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Mainly looking for a phone recommendation because my plan is more narrowed down, but open to any suggestions. I will be out from contract soon so assume I am coming from a clean slate. I am planning on buying a simple unlocked GSM phone to use with a new plan. I only use phones for calling, SMS and calculator function. It would be nice to be able to take the phone abroad and swap in a prepaid SIM or somesuch.

• Country/Provider: USA GSM (T mobile or ATT). I am wary of how people say that T mobile coverage sucks but I don't really know anyone well enough that has them in Baltimore area.

• Current contract status: Nada

• Budget (phone/plan): Phone up to $200 but I expect to be able to get what I want for cheaper. Plan $45 max before taxes, etc. My plan will be a low min plan with a small text plan, either T mobile 30/40 $ or ATT 40$ + a 5$ text plan unless I'm missing another option.

• Features I know I want: Must be unlocked or if it is a phone offered by a provider at discount, must be easily unlockable; Quad band only; not a Samsung (don't ask). It would be nice if I could upload MP3s for ringtones (yes my current phone is that old). Battery life, signal, UI and reliability/dropability are most important- I don't care about camera, touch screen, bluetooth, etc although I won't rule a phone out just because it has any of those.

Edit: ended up getting motorola v197

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 8, 2009

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Infinotize posted:

Phone up to $200
Nokia E63

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Dr Tran posted:

Nokia E63

Have you used this phone? I'm interested seeing that you can get it for $200 unlocked and it seems like it would what I want.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

I want good call quality, good texting, and good battery life. I don't care about 3G or anything that needs internet or a data plan.

Should I go with the LG Vu or the Samsung Solstice?

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.
Country/Provider: Sprint, in the US of A
Current status: I'm on a family plan right now, and not the one in charge. I'd like to stay with it. We have a two-year contract.
Budget (phone/plan): I'd rather not pay much more than $150 for a phone - keep in mind that I currently have a $150 upgrade discount. I already have unlimited data and texting, so phones that take advantage of that are a-okay.

Features I know I want:
I want something good for texting, web browsing, and email - preferably able to sync with Gmail (and multiple accounts a bonus). Right now I have a Rumor and I'd really like to upgrade to something a little more capable + nimble (this thing lags like a motherbitch sometimes). I do like having a physical QWERTY keyboard, but it isn't a requirement. Signal is pretty important, since I do make calls fairly regularly.

Right now, I'm ogling the Hero, which obviously isn't out quite yet. Does anyone have experience with the Hero's onscreen keyboard? Is it pretty usable? I use my phone for e-mail a lot, and I've never had a touchscreen phone before.

Keep in mind that whatever I get, I'll be using for the next two years.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Country/Provider: USA
Current status: No Service/Plan. I've been on a family plan enjoying free phone service for the last several years, but now I'm cut off.
Budget (phone/plan): $100 or less for the phone. $50 or less monthly.
Features I know I want: I don't really need a phone that does much. All I use my phone for are short calls and text messaging. It'd be nice to have a Qwerty keyboard for text messaging, but I've gotten accustomed to using the numbers on my current phone so it's not a must have. I'd be up for spending more on a phone initially if the monthly costs came out to be less.

I'm pretty lost when it comes to phone plans these days. I've been looking into prepaid or pay as you go plans, but I'm having trouble finding one that has unlimited messaging or an alloted number. I don't want to pay per text message unless they cost practically nothing.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Chexmix posted:

Country/Provider: Sprint, in the US of A
Current status: I'm on a family plan right now, and not the one in charge. I'd like to stay with it. We have a two-year contract.
Budget (phone/plan): I'd rather not pay much more than $150 for a phone - keep in mind that I currently have a $150 upgrade discount. I already have unlimited data and texting, so phones that take advantage of that are a-okay.

Features I know I want:
I want something good for texting, web browsing, and email - preferably able to sync with Gmail (and multiple accounts a bonus). Right now I have a Rumor and I'd really like to upgrade to something a little more capable + nimble (this thing lags like a motherbitch sometimes). I do like having a physical QWERTY keyboard, but it isn't a requirement. Signal is pretty important, since I do make calls fairly regularly.

Right now, I'm ogling the Hero, which obviously isn't out quite yet. Does anyone have experience with the Hero's onscreen keyboard? Is it pretty usable? I use my phone for e-mail a lot, and I've never had a touchscreen phone before.

Keep in mind that whatever I get, I'll be using for the next two years.

If you can wait a bit longer (Nov 1), Sprint will have another Android phone:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/07/samsung-moment-for-sprint-first-hands-on/
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/10/07/samsung-moment-android-qwerty-slider-coming-to-sprint/

Quick and dirty:
But with an 800MHz CPU instead of 528MHz and a full keyboard.
3.5mm headphone jack
Expandable storage up to 32GB
320x480 3.2" AMOLED display (same resolution as the iPhone, not as good as the Hero)

For reference the iPhone is 320x480 at 3.5" so this screen is comparable. The Touch Pro is 640x480 at 2.8", which is kind of a waste at that small size.

EDIT: After seeing the specs on this beast, I will probably wait to see/use it in person before choosing the Hero or the Moment.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'm moving off of my Mom's plan and onto my own because she can't seem to pay the bill even when I'm helping, so I'm in sort of a weird position. The following are the key points:

I have an AT&T branded LG Zenon from the plan I'm leaving, which I like a lot, but cursory examination makes it seem like AT&T is fairly expensive - I would be able to keep using this with them, but not other companies, correct? I'd like to just because it's a cool phone and I'm used to it, but not if it means I'll be spending (much) more money just to keep the phone.

I don't use a lot of minutes call wise, but tend to send a lot of texts and if possible would like a smallish data plan (entirely so I can check my email/sports scores while at work).

I currently live in 26501 and was getting fine service through AT&T, I will be moving in about 8 months though, for grad school, not sure to where.

The place I work now will net me a discount of 15% on AT&T or 20% on Sprint.

Cheaper is better but I'm not hurting for money, and I am willing to go prepay if that's what makes the most sense for me. More than 60 bucks I'd probably balk at, and I'd like to get something more like 40 or 50.

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.

900ftjesus posted:

If you can wait a bit longer (Nov 1), Sprint will have another Android phone:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/07/samsung-moment-for-sprint-first-hands-on/
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/10/07/samsung-moment-android-qwerty-slider-coming-to-sprint/

EDIT: After seeing the specs on this beast, I will probably wait to see/use it in person before choosing the Hero or the Moment.

Yeah, just saw this announced, and it looks like just about everything I could want in a phone - definitely a nice step up from my previous. Here's hoping my Rumor can keep it together until then.

Thanks!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

dreesemonkey posted:

Have you used this phone? I'm interested seeing that you can get it for $200 unlocked and it seems like it would what I want.

I've toyed with it. Seemed solid. Good keyboard.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
C/P: USA/Sprint
Contract: Month-to-month for a while now
Budget: Currently paying $45/month all told for service, and don't want to spend more than $50 out of pocket for a phone
Requirements: Basic phone & messaging, USB connectivity to a PC for ringtones & backgrounds

Currently have a Motorola V3M that may be on its last legs. I might be able to fix this thing myself, but I want to explore options in case I can't.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

C/P: T-Mobile
Contract: Month to month.
Budget: Currently paying $52 a month for 600 minutes and unlimited text. Anything $80 or under after taxes/fees would be alright, but aiming for cheap as possible. $200 max out of pocket for a phone.
Requirements: Smart phone, unlimited text, minimal minutes. I rarely go over 100 minutes in a month.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

SuicidalSmurf posted:

C/P: T-Mobile
Contract: Month to month.
Budget: Currently paying $52 a month for 600 minutes and unlimited text. Anything $80 or under after taxes/fees would be alright, but aiming for cheap as possible. $200 max out of pocket for a phone.
Requirements: Smart phone, unlimited text, minimal minutes. I rarely go over 100 minutes in a month.

eprp with a hero or pre or tour. (450). $60/month. Or wait for the tmo announcement. could be 50/month for unlimited (still a rumor)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
My contract with AT&T is about to expire. Is there a carrier that will let me use my unlocked iPhone without a data plan?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

deoju posted:

My contract with AT&T is about to expire. Is there a carrier that will let me use my unlocked iPhone without a data plan?

Your only other choice is T-Mobile, and yes, you can use an iPhone with them. It won't be 3G, though, if you ever do decide to go back to data plan land.

Pusscat
Apr 1, 2005

What's new, Pusscat?
OK, not sure how much help you guys will be able to give me as I'm in the UK, but I'll give it a shot. If you recommend US phones that fit the description then I can probably look up the UK counterpart.

* Country/Provider:
UK (England) - Currently on Vodafone

* Current contract status:
I'm on a SIM only deal (300mins/Unlimited texts). I'd probably like to stick with this as it's cheap at £15month and if I go off travelling then I can just cancel it and come back to it later. I'll probably stick with Vodafone as the rest of my family is on it, and having been with all the major providers (O2, Orange, Vodafone, Virgin), Vodafone has got the best coverage for the rural area I live in.

* Budget (phone/plan):
Ideally somewhere under £200, much less than that would obviously be better. I've never paid for a phone before - got the current one on contract when I started uni in 2004.

* Features I know I want:
I've been using the Samsung D900 for the last 5 years and it has been the perfect phone. It is super slim, superlight, easy to use and has a nice camera. I don't really want to change phone, but my calls keep cutting out, so I'm thinking I'll be forced to change. And if I do change then it might be nice to have good internet as well (which is only £5 a month extra with Vodafone).

So ideal features:
-Must be slim and light, easy to slip into a pocket and be unoticeable there. My dad has got a Nokia N95 and in my opinion it is a huge beast. Wayyy too big.
- Quadband (I do a lot of travelling, so it must work abroad, particularly in Latin America).
-A keypad (I've never had a touchscreen phone, but I like having keys to press and avoiding the possibility of it switching on in my pocket. Something that slides up is best, maybe a combo keypad and touchscreen if necessary)
-Easy to use for texting/calling
-Decent camera (3mp or more)
-Internet capability. I'd like it to be easy to check my email (gmail), and possibly facebook/forums/google/ebay.

The perfect phone would be the same as the Samsung D900, but with better internet capabilities.

I'd be interested in hearing about any phones that fit those specifications, contract or not. I would consider moving back to a contract for the perfect phone, but only a 12month contract. To be honest I quite like having a phone that is not worth a lot, so if I lose it then I don't have to fret that I've just wasted £500 or whatever.

Thanks in advance to anybody who's got any ideas!

(Also, a slightly unrelated question. On touchscreen phones, is it possible to have a screen keyboard that is like a normal phone keyboard, not a qwerty layout? I'm pretty fast at predictive text, and from the times that I've used people's touchscreen phones typing on the qwerty is slow and often hard to press the right letters.)

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Jolo posted:

Country/Provider: USA
Current status: No Service/Plan. I've been on a family plan enjoying free phone service for the last several years, but now I'm cut off.
Budget (phone/plan): $100 or less for the phone. $50 or less monthly.
Features I know I want: I don't really need a phone that does much. All I use my phone for are short calls and text messaging. It'd be nice to have a Qwerty keyboard for text messaging, but I've gotten accustomed to using the numbers on my current phone so it's not a must have. I'd be up for spending more on a phone initially if the monthly costs came out to be less.

I'm pretty lost when it comes to phone plans these days. I've been looking into prepaid or pay as you go plans, but I'm having trouble finding one that has unlimited messaging or an alloted number. I don't want to pay per text message unless they cost practically nothing.

I'm going to sign up with Sprint, and need some advice on choosing a phone. I want a Qwerty keyboard, so right now my options are narrowed down to the LG Lotus, the LG Rumor 2, and the Samsung Exclaim.

The Lotus looks like the keyboard wouldn't be as useful as the longer keyboards on the Rumor or the Exclaim. Overall I'm mainly just asking a question regarding quality on these phones.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Jolo posted:

I'm going to sign up with Sprint, and need some advice on choosing a phone. I want a Qwerty keyboard, so right now my options are narrowed down to the LG Lotus, the LG Rumor 2, and the Samsung Exclaim.

The Lotus looks like the keyboard wouldn't be as useful as the longer keyboards on the Rumor or the Exclaim. Overall I'm mainly just asking a question regarding quality on these phones.

What about Samsung Intrepid, BB Tour/Curve, HTC Snap, and the Samsung Moment (nov 1)?

If you aren't going to go with an everything data plan, I can understand the choice of phones. Otherwise, I'd recommend a full fledged smartphone if you're paying for the plan.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Tedronai66 posted:

What about Samsung Intrepid, BB Tour/Curve, HTC Snap, and the Samsung Moment (nov 1)?

If you aren't going to go with an everything data plan, I can understand the choice of phones. Otherwise, I'd recommend a full fledged smartphone if you're paying for the plan.

I was looking into those, but opted to go with a basic plan with unlimited messaging. I don't think I'd use the data plan enough to justify the monthly charge. When I was considering the Everything Data plan I was very interested in the Hero and the Moment though.

CheerGrrl92
May 4, 2007
They call me the owner, because it's what I do
I want a recommendation for a new phone and service. I have always had p.o.s phones in addition to a p.o.s service and i am sick of it. The ONLY sturdy phone I have ever had is the lg spyder (I have it now) and I got it for free.

As far as features, I want something that does it all, like the iphone. I don't really like the iphone though, I just want something comparable. I am willing to lose out on things like gps and headphone jacks if its a quality phone though..

Contract: none (leaving crappy local provider)
Budget: up to $400 for phone, up to $80 per month for plan
Features I want: Hard keyboard I can text quickly on, fast browsing internet, ability to play games. Everything else is expendable.

I was looking at the nokia n900 from a post earlier in this thread but I just dont know if I could justify paying 600 dollars for a phone that will be outdated in a year.

The G1 was something I was totally stoked about when it came out but I dont hear many good reviews on it.. The mytouch is the successor right? How does that fare?

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
Don't worry, I had ten bucks.
Funny enough, I am exactly like the poser above me with some small differences:

Current Phone: SE S500I
Contract: T-Mo. I would like to stay but not required.
Budget: $500 for phone. Under 100 for plan.
Features I want: I would like a Qwerty keyboard, but a touch one is okay if you can assure me it will work under my fat thumbs. I would prefer windows mobile just so I can make my own apps, but not required. Internet and all that Jazz is needed.
Other thoughts: When the X1 came out, I drooled over it, but couldn't justify spending that much. I know it's dropped to 450, but not sure if that would suit me best anymore. I loved that when I held it, I felt like the thing was very solid. I really hate how the touch pro feels like it could break at any time. I really like that about my current SE phone, feels very solid.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Fastbreak/CheerGrrl92

If you want an Android phone (iPhone-like but not an iPhone) get a Sprint EPRP plan ($60/month see the Sprint thread OP) and a Hero now or a Moment on Nov 1 (no keyboard vs keyboard). I advise you wait a week after a phone comes out to find out if it has any weird bugs.

The n900 looks awesome but you're stuck with T-Mobile's tiny 3G footprint which is fine if you're in a bigger city. You can always buy a new phone on contact, buy an n900, and then sell the new phone you got on contract to offset the cost of the n900. Just make sure to get something with good resale value.

Don't bother with Windows Mobile until WinMo 7 comes out, not worth the trouble when there's so many cool phones coming out.

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
Current Provider: AT&T, in contract.
Current Phone: iPhone 3GS
Budget: Inexpensive (<$50)

I'm just looking for a cheapie dumbphone to function as a backup for my iPhone in case of emergency. Only requirements are good reception and voice quality; good battery life would be nice, but I'm used to charging the iPhone every day at this point. Since the iPhone is my first GSM phone, I'm not really versed in GSM dumbphones, hence why I'm asking.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Baldrash posted:

I'm just looking for a cheapie dumbphone to function as a backup for my iPhone in case of emergency. Only requirements are good reception and voice quality; good battery life would be nice, but I'm used to charging the iPhone every day at this point. Since the iPhone is my first GSM phone, I'm not really versed in GSM dumbphones, hence why I'm asking.

You should be fine with some cheap S40 Nokia. They get great reception and battery life.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

CheerGrrl92 posted:

for a phone that will be outdated in a year.
This applies to EVERY phone.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Baldrash posted:

Just buy one of the go phone packages and don't activate it. There are a few phones around $30, I think.

96cobraguy
Aug 10, 2008
Current Provider: AT&T, out of contract
Current Phone: unlocked G1, wifes is Samsung Sync
Budget: less than $100

Im looking to see if I can save a couple bucks on my plan. we have a 500 minutes plan with a 200 msg (w/ m2m in network messaging) and a $15 data plan. with all of this, it comes to about $110. We dont talk a hell of a lot. My phone is mostly for work and emergency calls, plus data for when I have downtime at work. We really dont travel outside of NJ, NYC, PA area. The majority of my texting is between my wife and I. A smart phone would be nice, but I really don't live on it as many people do. My biggest problem is occasionally go over on my texting.
I really don't have any problems with AT&T, I actually enjoy the service. So if I was to go to another network, service would be a big issue. Im really just looking to see about saving a bit here and there.
Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks!

CheerGrrl92
May 4, 2007
They call me the owner, because it's what I do

900ftjesus posted:

Fastbreak/CheerGrrl92

If you want an Android phone (iPhone-like but not an iPhone) get a Sprint EPRP plan ($60/month see the Sprint thread OP) and a Hero now or a Moment on Nov 1 (no keyboard vs keyboard). I advise you wait a week after a phone comes out to find out if it has any weird bugs.

The n900 looks awesome but you're stuck with T-Mobile's tiny 3G footprint which is fine if you're in a bigger city. You can always buy a new phone on contact, buy an n900, and then sell the new phone you got on contract to offset the cost of the n900. Just make sure to get something with good resale value.

Don't bother with Windows Mobile until WinMo 7 comes out, not worth the trouble when there's so many cool phones coming out.

Thanks, this was perfect. Those phones are the exact of what I want.

However, I am having a hard time choosing between the two. The way I see it:

Hero:
+much better UI
+looks better, slimmer
+slightly more ram (32mb)

moment:
+keyboard ( I really dislike touchscreen texting )
+better processor

I think what it comes down to is : will the 300 mhz boost in processor even be used? I just think the moment's ui is so bland and boring, along with the look of the phone, where as the hero packs a really nice feel and look to it. It would just suck to get a phone that can't run the good apps I want to later.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

CheerGrrl92 posted:

I think what it comes down to is : will the 300 mhz boost in processor even be used? I just think the moment's ui is so bland and boring, along with the look of the phone, where as the hero packs a really nice feel and look to it. It would just suck to get a phone that can't run the good apps I want to later.

This is what I've been thinking to myself a lot. If I could get Sense on the Moment, I would. hearing that the hero only has a 16-bit color screen has turned me off slightly. Honestly, I'll probably go with the Hero or mytouch (depending on what I choose, tmo's announcement needs to come sooner, mytouch will likely be fender version), and find a way to get sense on the mytouch if I go that route without making it run slower then hell.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Tedronai66 posted:

This is what I've been thinking to myself a lot. If I could get Sense on the Moment, I would. hearing that the hero only has a 16-bit color screen has turned me off slightly. Honestly, I'll probably go with the Hero or mytouch (depending on what I choose, tmo's announcement needs to come sooner, mytouch will likely be fender version), and find a way to get sense on the mytouch if I go that route without making it run slower then hell.

There is no reason Sense can't be ported to any Android device unless HTC has gone out of their way to prevent it.

I was thinking that 800MHz will be nice for console emulation and just a faster UI in general. I'm definitely waiting until Dec or so to see where the cards fall since these aren't two HTC phones and one is missing the keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[*]Country/Provider: US / AT&T

[*]Current contract status: Probably(?) have an upgrade available, not positive on this

[*]Budget (phone/plan): Willing to look at all price ranges

[*]Features I know I want: Newish phone. Not a touch-screen, would prefer a standard keypad rather than a full keypad. I previously owned a Nokia N73 and loved it. Decent camera would be nice but not required. Probably looking to get a newish Nokia but I'll welcome all suggestions.