Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

FasterThanLight posted:

Whew, a 6x11 folder sure gives you some transportable quality. I must continue my search for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

I grab some pliars or a bottle opener and rip the rim off. It's not really a big deal. If you're saving the cans for reloading I guess you might want to do it the other way but it's kind of a pain to leave the leader hanging out, and you'd better not mix up your rolls and double-shoot one. Why risk damage, I guess?

All of the "reloadables" you ever need are at the Wal mart 1 hour counter. They have the bit of leader still sticking out, use some good tape, I use "Gorilla"™ and wind your film on.

I'm another bottle opener guy myself. It's what I've always used and it always works.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Gnomad posted:

I'm another bottle opener guy myself. It's what I've always used and it always works.

But then getting that loose film onto the developing reel is a massive pain, winding with one hand and holding the film with the other.

Went into jessops the other day and a contact sheet is the same price as 36 6 x 4's, surely it should be cheaper?

fronkpies fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 3, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've never reloaded 35mm film so take this for the stupid question it is, but if you're saving your canisters for reloading, how do you even get the film back onto the spool without opening (and subsequently destroying) can can?

I was under the impression that this is exactly what those plastic reusable cans are for.

FasterThanLight posted:

Anyway, despite my misjudged film advancing, my test roll looked decent for a 90 year old camera:

Are you serious? This is amazing. Can you post a photo of your mod? Actually, I'm just curious to see the back of the camera either way :)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

FasterThanLight posted:

After researching what others have done a bit, I decided to just stick some drywall anchors in the ends of my 120 roll, and use the 116 take-up spool. The camera's exposure counter window was actually on the 645 side of a 120 roll, so I shot every other one. Developed it right away, and found that the exposures were quite a bit wider than I had thought...the amount of overlap suggested that i'm going to end up with something closer to 6x11 than 6x9. And that's fine by me, 6x11 sounds like fun. I'll just have to either make my own paper backing for film, guess how far to wind it, or (most likely) mod the back by moving the red window around. Need to make some more permanent adapters for 120 rolls too, so I don't have to develop everything immediately.

Anyway, despite my misjudged film advancing, my test roll looked decent for a 90 year old camera:

That's really cool, I'd love to see some pics of the camera/mod (as well as future pictures from it)!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah, post more on this modded 6x11 folder. Pictures of the camera, details on what you did?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Will do. I'm hoping to make the mods a little less ghetto and more permanent tonight, so I'll be sure to take some pictures of the process.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
This is giving me a modding itch. I looked at converting the 616 folder I have to 120, but now I'm leaning more toward converting a Polaroid rangefinder.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
At an estate sale which I went to lured by the prospect of cameras, I found and purchased for the princely sum of $2 a Polachrome processor, 2 rolls of Polachrome instant slide film and a box of mounts and the mounting device. As the film was expired in 1986 I suspect that I have made a charitible contribution to the family rather than actually having purchased anything of value, but heck it's only a couple of bucks.

I'm not quite sure what to do with the stuff-but I am duty bound to shoot at least one roll of it and see what happens.

All of the material was new, sealed in the boxes, the warranty card was still in the packaging with the processor, the original invoice was still in the box. $79.95 for the processor, $10.50 each for 2 rolls of 12 exposure Polachrome in 1986 dollars. A roll of Ektachrome was $6 or so for 36 exposures and even rush processing was $10. That works out to pretty steep money for the instant access to images on 40 asa film that was never described as more than OK.

And the cameras? A Minolta X700 with 5 lenses, $400. I passed.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel
I am pretty interested in seeing the results of the Polachrome. It's one of the weird technologies like disc film that I was always interesting in trying for the sake of saying I have done it.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Can anyone point me to some dev times for fomapan 400 with Microdol-X 1+3? Massive dev chart has a time for stock, but no dilutions :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any point in keeping bottles of fixer (already diluted) and developer concentrate in the fridge? Will it help them keep at all, or is that just for film? In fact, if I chill my developer I can see it being much harder to maintain 20 degrees C easily without like thirty minutes of just leaving it out before I use it.

I ask because I was given an older mini dorm fridge for my film, since our regular fridge is literally at capacity and I'm not too keen on keeping the film in the vegetable crisper next to our onions or something. It would be cool if I could use it to keep the shelf life up on my developer concentrate or my premixed fixer, but I don't even know if temperature has any effect on something like that.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Put your film in a Ziploc bag before you put it in the fridge.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

HPL posted:

Put your film in a Ziploc bag before you put it in the fridge.

Whys that?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sadi posted:

Whys that?

It prevents condensation on your film.

well don't I look dumb
vvvv

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 8, 2009

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

theflyingexecutive posted:

It prevents condensation on your film.

No. If it's 35mm, it's already in an airtight can. The Ziploc keeps your film canister from smelling like onions.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
And that's why roll film is superior. You throw away the foil wrapper and don't have to smell onions and Chinese food. :colbert:

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
If you guys were really artists you wouldn't have any food in your fridge anyway.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The only thing in my fridge is a jar of yeast and a bag of shredded cheddar. And 20 rolls of film. :smith:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Those were the days :sigh:

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Nice bourgeois film brands.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That picture is all nice but then there's a Hoegarden and it's suddenly awful.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

sensy v2.0 posted:

That picture is all nice but then there's a Hoegarden and it's suddenly awful.

Oh no now it's on!

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Oh no now it's on!
Oh no, please don't scratch me!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If you think that's awesome, you'd pass out from excitement if you saw my freezer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm going to start raiding the local stores for expired film this week. Gotta put that fridge to use :B

Also, completely amateur hour question, but is there any disadvantage to replacing my scanner's film gate with two panes of 1mm thick glass which the negative would be sandwiched between?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 8, 2009

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Twenties Superstar posted:

Lucky 100 is about as proletariat a film as you can buy these days :china:

I just won a 120 camera on eBay and only have two rolls of the stuff now :-\

edit: 120 film altogether, I don't have any more Lucky

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 8, 2009

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Nevermind.

longview fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 8, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Twenties Superstar posted:

nothing wrong with tmax and 160s

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

HPL posted:

If you think that's awesome, you'd pass out from excitement if you saw my freezer.

The holy grail of my freezer is a 150ft roll of Kodak Tech Pan that I can't bring myself to bulk load. I also have 2 boxes of Velvia 50 4x5 Quickloads that I am dying to use.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

killabyte posted:

The holy grail of my freezer is a 150ft roll of Kodak Tech Pan that I can't bring myself to bulk load. I also have 2 boxes of Velvia 50 4x5 Quickloads that I am dying to use.

My holy grails are the single rolls of Verichrome Pan and APX 25. :)

And the 56 rolls of Ultra 50 I have to do something with before April... possibly the last Ultra 50 left in the world, but I have no idea what to use it for.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Also, completely amateur hour question, but is there any disadvantage to replacing my scanner's film gate with two panes of 1mm thick glass which the negative would be sandwiched between?

Newton rings, kind of a rainbow diffraction pattern that will drive you utterly mad. Or, you could use the anti-diffraction glass that tends to diffuse your detail.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lame. 420 newton rings every day, or just in a select few circumstances? I guess I'll be keeping my regular film gate for now.

Also, still trying to decide whether keeping the liquids in the fridge is going to be more trouble than it's worth, any ideas?

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Clayton Bigsby posted:

My holy grails are the single rolls of Verichrome Pan and APX 25. :)

And the 56 rolls of Ultra 50 I have to do something with before April... possibly the last Ultra 50 left in the world, but I have no idea what to use it for.

I wonder how much rare film gets tossed by people when old camera farts die.

"Kodachrome? It says it expired this year, just throw it out."

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
As far as rare film goes Kodachrome is not really all that rare...

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
FujiSensiaVelviChrome or whatever then.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Has anybody tried developing C41 film in regular developer/fix?

I have a bunch of rolls of film from old cameras I have purchased and don't really want to spend $5 a roll to get it developed just out of a sense of voyeurisitic curiousity.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
And speaking of cameras I've bought lately-

I really thought I was done with EF mount Canons, having ebay'd a Rebel Ti-when I found a Elan II with the 28-80 USM in a thrift store. Paid more for it than I usually do but it promised to make me brilliant, so I went out and captured some autumn colors and scenes.

At sunset, I chased this light around for close to an hour.

oversharpened as heck, but I like the effect.

The Elan seems to really capture the colors. Big Box store Fuji 200 film.

The snow is creeping roght down the mountain. It is that time of year, after all.

I seem to get better results from color film than B/W from the Canon 8800 scanner, it's still not what I hoped it would be. I probably should have bought an Epson.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The film quality or scans are of poor quality, but the color is great.

I want to live where you live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Gnomad posted:

Has anybody tried developing C41 film in regular developer/fix?

The contrast will be low, it may be grainy, and it'll obviously be black and white, but it can be done.
Good enough to satisfy your perverse curiosity? Most likely.

And I loving love that shot of the leaves on the grass.