Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Gazaar posted:

Double bump postin' because apparently Billy Mays did cocaine. Is anyone actually surprised?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/07/florida.mays.cocaine/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

I wish he did commercials for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl

Moose Bigelow posted:

I wish he did commercials for it.

BILLY MAYS HERE TELLING YOU TO RIDE THE WHITE PONY

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Swordfish is rather...well it would be more exciting to see captain Sig take a poo poo.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Darth Freddy posted:

Swordfish is rather...well it would be more exciting to see captain Sig take a poo poo.

Oddly enough, I think it would be far more entertaining with Mike Rowe. THE VAST...ATLANTIC OCEAN...

Trident
Jun 18, 2004
We cook your meals, we drive your ambulances. We connect your calls, we guard you while you sleep. Do not... fuck with us.
damnit, I have missed the last two episodes of the Colony, and they do not seem to be airing reruns. It isn't great, but I enjoyed following it.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I work in the metro-Detroit area and today at work one of the guys I work with came in and was talking about how he was visiting some of his old friends from the downriver area. He said they were talking about how they were cast on Monster Garage - which I didn't think sounded right since the show has long since been canceled.

My co-worker was pretty sure it was Monster Garage related, so after some light googling, I found this:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/277739-Discovery_Channel_Resurrects_Monster_Garage_.php

So it looks like Discovery is bringing back Monster Garage, although this time it's going to be MG: Motor City. Jesse James won't be hosting, but the premise of taking cars and making them into something completely different hasn't changed. The first episode has them making a drag car out of a Model T.

I always liked Monster Garage - it'll be interesting to see how it takes off. The article doesn't mention who's hosting, but it does sort of sound like it could be a couple of the American Chopper guys possibly - which would seriously limit my enjoyment of the show.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Trident posted:

damnit, I have missed the last two episodes of the Colony, and they do not seem to be airing reruns. It isn't great, but I enjoyed following it.

Discovery HD is running a marathon starting right now actually.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

LordOfThePants posted:

but it does sort of sound like it could be a couple of the American Chopper guys possibly - which would seriously limit my enjoyment of the show.
It depends-- if it's, say, Vinnie and Cody, it would probably be pretty good.

If it's just another hour of the Teutels fighting, not so much.

My guess would be that it'll be people who were on American Chopper until the end, since it seems like it might be close to ending/being canceled.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
I was watching last night when Discovery was running those episodes of Raging Planet back-to-back (first time I've gotten a chance to see it)-- and I know that it's really not that different from the myriad of other disaster shows that have aired all over, but still: goddamn that show is awesome.

Then again, I've been obsessed with natural disasters of all ilk since I first learned to read. So I guess I'll pretty much love anything on the subject. Still, that episode dedicated completely just to lightning was perhaps one of my favorite hours of documentary television in years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jesus Christ, my cable company FINALLY got around to adding Discovery HD, the real one that is. A while back we had A Discovery HD channel but it wasn't actually the Discovery channel in HD, it was just random shows from Discovery. Now I can finally watch Mythbusters in HD.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this? posted:

Jesus Christ, my cable company FINALLY got around to adding Discovery HD, the real one that is. A while back we had A Discovery HD channel but it wasn't actually the Discovery channel in HD, it was just random shows from Discovery. Now I can finally watch Mythbusters in HD.

There used to be two. Discovery networks jumped on HD pretty quickly but with a catch-all "Discovery HD" channel to dump anything they actually had in HD on, not an HD version of the Discovery Channel. I used to get both but now I think they dumped the old one.

When I first got an HDTV I basically left it on that channel for 4 days or something because it was so loving pretty.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
There's a "Discovery HD Theatre" which has some OK shows on it sometimes, but most of the times it's garbage.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TheWevel posted:

There's a "Discovery HD Theatre" which has some OK shows on it sometimes, but most of the times it's garbage.

Yeah, that's the catch-all channel. The normal one is just Discovery HD.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

There's a trailer up for the new season of Storm Chasers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsrHpYk8uhU , for those interested.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

TheWevel posted:

Yeah it's just a dump for HD content that doesn't air regularly on the main network or TLC. Unless you like Sunrise Earth, or shows revolving around cars like Mecum car auctions, Rides, Overhaulin', Monster Garage rerums and American Chopper, you will not have any need to ever watch that channel. Seriously, do they ever run content that has nothing to do with Sunrise Earth or car shows?

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
Anyone still watching the Colony? I missed a bunch of episodes but saw the one tonight...I still don't buy that they had no training beforehand to build all the things that they are building. Or they were screened and only picked because they knew how to build certain things.

Maybe I missed it, but they have a truck that works and gas, why not go on an exploration with the truck?

GrandInquisitor
May 14, 2009

MrDingleDangle posted:

Anyone still watching the Colony? I missed a bunch of episodes but saw the one tonight...I still don't buy that they had no training beforehand to build all the things that they are building. Or they were screened and only picked because they knew how to build certain things.

Maybe I missed it, but they have a truck that works and gas, why not go on an exploration with the truck?

Yeah I watch the colony. Their tech is a bit unrealistic, but remember half the people in this show hold doctorates in various engineering fields, these people could build a plane and fly out of their if they want to. Also the disclaimer at the end does say that "experts" are on hand to lend assistance. I totally agree about the truck, they could take that out and round up tons of supplies, while deterring the raiders.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MrDingleDangle posted:

They have like 10 gallons of gas total.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
^^^^^^^^they got 5 tonight at the hospital

GrandInquisitor posted:

Yeah I watch the colony. Their tech is a bit unrealistic, but remember half the people in this show hold doctorates in various engineering fields, these people could build a plane and fly out of their if they want to. Also the disclaimer at the end does say that "experts" are on hand to lend assistance. I totally agree about the truck, they could take that out and round up tons of supplies, while deterring the raiders.

yeah I mean I understand they are all smart people but almost every technical thing they decide to do works on the first or second try. like I said I missed a couple weeks, but tonights radio and receiver, fine I understand they know in principle how everything should work, but getting everything working on the first try is crazy

also if they knew there was a hospital full of supplies why did it take them a month to go explore it?

here is some info on the location from the Discovery message boards-

location of the base- http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&s...=h&z=16&iwloc=A

location of the bridge they were under where they found the tent early on- http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=...,159.85,,0,6.35

location of the hospital- http://maps.google.com/maps?q=610+S...015707&t=h&z=16

those make it seem a lot less realistic that they had to cross under 2 freeways and into neighborhoods to go anywhere

MrDingleDangle fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 26, 2009

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Doronin posted:

Yeah it's just a dump for HD content that doesn't air regularly on the main network or TLC. Unless you like Sunrise Earth, or shows revolving around cars like Mecum car auctions, Rides, Overhaulin', Monster Garage rerums and American Chopper, you will not have any need to ever watch that channel. Seriously, do they ever run content that has nothing to do with Sunrise Earth or car shows?

If I'm thinking of the same channel, and I'm pretty sure I am since it has all those shows on it, they also show some pretty good MMA (like Affliction) and K1 fighting quite often. The British announcer they have for the fighting programs is absolutely hilarious also. I actually watch it pretty often for that.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Apparently there's a marathon of The Colony tomorrow before the season finale, for any of you who missed episodes. I didn't watch, but I was watching Cash Cab and I heard the commercial for it. So heads up. :)

iLurk
Jul 25, 2007

Who wants to get PREGNANT?!?
Behind the scenes of Man Vs Wild make the show seem so badass.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I haven't seen the behind the scenes special yet, but I wondered if airing that back in season 1 would have helped address some of the complaints people had early on about it being "fake"? Thankfully at least it seems most of those complaints have ended since they now blatantly explain the safety regs and the crew helping out before coming back from commercials.

I've also noticed that he interacts with the crew a lot more in the last few seasons.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Sweet a new episode of Dirty Jobs, good thing my DVR got it or I would have never of known.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

DurosKlav posted:

Sweet a new episode of Dirty Jobs, good thing my DVR got it or I would have never of known.

Yeah supposedly new mythbusters tomorrow too.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Teek posted:

I haven't seen the behind the scenes special yet, but I wondered if airing that back in season 1 would have helped address some of the complaints people had early on about it being "fake"? Thankfully at least it seems most of those complaints have ended since they now blatantly explain the safety regs and the crew helping out before coming back from commercials.

I've also noticed that he interacts with the crew a lot more in the last few seasons.

Also, he doesn't really do "survival" he just does "challenges" in the wilderness. It's a different style of show than season 1, definitely.

Anyone interested in that Ghost Lab show after Dirty Jobs? It's obviously a blatant rip off of Ghost Hunters (I think Pilgrim Films even produces both shows) so I'd like to see what they do with it.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Anyone know when they're going to show the episode of Dirty Jobs where Mike goes to Jonesboro, Arkansas? He was in town and I didn't even get to see him. :smith:

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Anyone interested in that Ghost Lab show after Dirty Jobs? It's obviously a blatant rip off of Ghost Hunters (I think Pilgrim Films even produces both shows) so I'd like to see what they do with it.

Did you check it out? I was going to try to catch a repeat but I didn't see any on until the new episode next week.

This week's Dirty Jobs seemed really subdued or something. Maybe it was just because the jobs weren't that interesting to me.

Edit: Wow, pregnant Keri on Mythbusters looks really weird. It's like her head on someone else's body.

LordOfThePants fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 8, 2009

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

LordOfThePants posted:

Edit: Wow, pregnant Keri on Mythbusters looks really weird. It's like her head on someone else's body.
It's because she's pregnant and still dressing like a 13 year old.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I thought it was pretty good, surprisingly. They seem to do a better job with setting up equipment in ways that can actually capture evidence, and the pace is different. Where Ghost Hunters feels like you're tagging along for an investigation Ghost Lab is like Mythbusters in that you're jumping to the important parts and pausing for extra recreations/research before moving on.

The one thing that's super cheesy (just like Ghost Hunters) is how one person walks into a scene and presents a case as if the cameras aren't there and they haven't already discussed it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Does Ghost Lab feature actual scientists? That's what I hated about Ghost Hunters. I don't want to see random shmucks with nice equipment spend the night at a spooky location and come up empty handed. They never spend enough time actually RESEARCHING what could be a scientific, world changing break through.

These shows are all inspired by Ghostbusters and yet they all fail to realize what Ghostbusters actually did. 3 of the members of the team were goddamned SCIENTISTS.

Even Monsterhunt uses animal experts and scientists to examine evidence, even though they too are guilty of criminally short field research periods.

The commercial for Lab made it seem like two brother decided to look for Ghosts after seeing creepy videos.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Nope, no one on the team is a scientist. They talk to a professor about quantum physics and parallel universes (even if that doesn't really go anywhere), and they actually compare the wavelengths of EVPs to human voices saying the same thing in the same location.

They're not scientists at all, but they seem to be more thorough than the Ghost Hunters guys and do a lot more follow-up work.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
"I want to find a ghost so I can beat it up"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I really enjoyed Ghost Lab. It seems they will stay at a location for a few days and really go into detailed investigations. They also have a lot more cool gadgets than the other shows. I'm looking forward to watching the series and seeing where it goes.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Last nights mythbusters was half borefest half interesting physics stuff. I wish the build team didn't exist, I just want to watch an hour of Adam and Jaime doing things, anything really.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Gazaar posted:

Last nights mythbusters was half borefest half interesting physics stuff. I wish the build team didn't exist, I just want to watch an hour of Adam and Jaime doing things, anything really.

It's funny watching the older episodes during the day, when the build team is occasionally seen and referred to in passing. Ah, the days long ago, before the obscene overreactions and unnecessary high fives...

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
My favorite part about catching classic eps is noting the hair phases Adam goes through to compensate for his slow but sure MPB while Jamie stays looking exactly the same like a highlander.

"Don't try any of this at home. ...EVER!" is the most-used discretionary bumper. :xd:

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 8, 2009

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yeah, you can see Adam's concern for his hair when he burns his eyebrow off. It was all fun and games, until someone pointed out he might have burnt some of his hair off too. He got serious pretty quickly from what I remember.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah, you can see Adam's concern for his hair when he burns his eyebrow off. It was all fun and games, until someone pointed out he might have burnt some of his hair off too. He got serious pretty quickly from what I remember.
Well, to be fair Jamie is actually bald and goes for the willfully cueball look with a permanant beret, due to shrewd imagine planning he's made it essential to his character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I thought it was pretty good, surprisingly. They seem to do a better job with setting up equipment in ways that can actually capture evidence, and the pace is different. Where Ghost Hunters feels like you're tagging along for an investigation Ghost Lab is like Mythbusters in that you're jumping to the important parts and pausing for extra recreations/research before moving on.

The one thing that's super cheesy (just like Ghost Hunters) is how one person walks into a scene and presents a case as if the cameras aren't there and they haven't already discussed it.

That kind of reminds me of a super cheesy Mythbusters thing where they were replicating the scene from Last Crusade where Indy puts a stick through a motorcycle tire. They do pretty much everything to replicate it using normal means and then they go and pretend that they JUST noticed how it was faked. Jamie and Adam are both special effects guys so I'm pretty sure they took one look at the movie and knew exactly how the shot was actually set up.

• Locked thread