Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot
Finished the reassembly of my RD500 YPVS after a honing and piston change job. I swear to my Norse Gods, that the sound of the YPVS valves lifting for self-check is only beaten by my Betamax tape of Jimi Hendrix playing live at Woodstock. No, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Replaced the front master brake cylinder on my friend's bike with one that has the mirror mounting. Thus we now have a mirror on the right hand side, which makes motorway driving a hell of a lot easier.

Also done a hell of a lot of riding in the past week. My buddy only passed on friday, and already we've used 4 tanks of fuel. He's a little bit of a hooligan, particularly when it comes to overtaking. He loves the power and the nimbleness. Then we get to some corners and I lose him, particularly at night.

My comfortable is way too fast for him. He doesn't mind, he just drops back quite a ways and uses full beam to see. I do tend to wait for him when it comes to turning off.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Got good parking for once.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Then got stuck riding in the rain at night for over an hour with only my dark smoke visor. Rain drops at 60mph really sting the eyeballs.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Dropped it off to its final resting place before I double its horsepower.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
I finally took the Ninjette's seat off my kitchen table and stuck it on the bike. Then I rode it around for the first time since I bought the KLR. It feels so tiny now, but its still fun as hell to ride.

Family photo time!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Made good use of my new topcase!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last night I brought home a box of Korean fried chicken using only a bungee net. I was impressed that it didn't budge the whole way!

M4gic
Aug 23, 2005

They say...hunger is the best spice!
I got some tail-bags so I could carry some more stuff for longer rides. The only thing I was worried about on the ride was them melting by being to close to the exhaust, but they weren't even hot.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Had to lighten up this pic, but it shows how close the exhaust pipes are to the bags.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Are those the Cortech Sport Saddlebags? Do you think a 15" MacBook Pro would fit?

M4gic
Aug 23, 2005

They say...hunger is the best spice!

jdonz posted:

Are those the Cortech Sport Saddlebags? Do you think a 15" MacBook Pro would fit?

I think it would be a very tight fit. I'd have to say no that a 15" laptop wouldn't fit just because the bags taper off to a teardrop shape. And the back of the bags would have a corner of the laptop probably sticking out.

Edit: Just measured it and it's only about 11" max height in the tallest part of the bags. Although i also use the icon tankbag, and it would definitly fit in there. You would just need a lot of padding so it won't get banged up all the time.

M4gic fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 1, 2009

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Awesome, thanks. I'm afraid to use a tank or a tail bag because I don't want the laptop to sit flat, I'd rather drive around with it vertical.

Being a sysadmin means I have to carry around the laptop most of the time. I get tired of having to lug a backpack around all the time and would like an alternative.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
After riding the Seca 650 around for a month with the thottle cracked at stoplights because I never set the idle after tearing down the carbs, I decided to address the issue. Education ensued.

I read up on xjbikes.com about setting the idle, then I dicked around for a bit with the mixture screws and did a half assed sync. Then I put it back together, having run out of time. It started racing when warm, then sometimes dying. I read up some more and discovered that I had leaned the mixture way out and a lean idle did in fact tend to race when warm. Finally something made sense!

So tonight I was able to work on it while it was still warm. I reset the mixture to about 1.75 or 2 turns out, and did a much better sync. I haven't been able to go for a test ride yet but it looks very promising. I also discovered that the butterfly shaft seals probably need replacing because the shaft ends are sucking an audible amount of air.

In other news, I measured 39mpg from the R100GS, which is way better than I've seen lately, but probably due to the almost 100% freeway riding I've been doing. Anyway, good to see it's still running well.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

jdonz posted:

...would like an alternative.

Netbook

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
I added a Deflector Screen to my GS850. Apparently I don't have it adjusted correctly, 'cause it was really noisy riding in to work this morning and my head was being buffeted all over.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

UserNotFound posted:

Netbook

Have you used on as a sysadmin? I think they loving suck. After 15 years of typing on a normal keyboard I couldn't get the hang of the moved keys on the smaller netbook keyboards. I used a Dell Mini 9 and hated it.

I'm a linux fag so I actually use the keyboard :ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

jdonz posted:

Have you used on as a sysadmin? I think they loving suck. After 15 years of typing on a normal keyboard I couldn't get the hang of the moved keys on the smaller netbook keyboards. I used a Dell Mini 9 and hated it.

I can't use netbooks either. I need a full size keyboard of some sort. When I have to transport a laptop it's almost always in a backpack...I'm too paranoid about the vibrations and poo poo. I probably don't need to be, but still.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
If you mean business then I'd look into mounting a pelican case with the foam inserts and put your laptop in that. Waterproof and about as indestructible as your you're going to get for the price.

EDIT:

jdonz posted:

And you'll have plenty of space on the pelican case for a giant Tux sticker.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

jdonz posted:

It's either deal with a crap keyboard 2% of the time, or haul a 15" laptop around needlessly 98% of the time....I use a HP Mini 5101. I do loving hate the keyboards on all netbooks, but I'm willing to carry a netbook loving everywhere (lunch breaks, motorcycle trips, long walks on the beach), so it makes sense to me.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

jdonz posted:

I used a Dell Mini 9 and hated it.

The Mini 10 is supposed to have addressed the keyboard layout problems.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

blugu64 posted:

And you'll have plenty of space on the pelican case for a giant Tux sticker.

I'm not that big of a fag, but I'm also a Mac fag. I tried the 13" Mac Book and while the keyboard is fine I don't like the size of the actual laptop. The palms of my hands rest right on the bottom edge of the laptop and the plastic rubs funny. Maybe I'm just a wimp and I need to suck it up.

I'm with Zen, I am paranoid about the vibrations, which is why I don't want to travel with the laptop horizontal. The backpack is great 95% of the time, but sometimes I just don't feel like wearing it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I keep my laptop horizontal in its carrying bag inside the top box. Ride on cobblestone with 80s suspension quite often. Hasn't died. Yet.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
on a tangent, I have a nasty rear end huge dell 'desktop replacement' from ~04, and It's been flat out dropped from shoulder height a few times, and still works.

Most laptops and computer gear are ridiculously more hardy than you'd assume. As long as they don't get wet while powered or overheated for prolonged periods of time, they can survive some crazy shocks.

I wouldn't test it, but worst case scenario is vibration might make a connection loose somewhere--which you can typically remedy pretty easily.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Netbook + http://www.amazon.com/FOLDABLE-USB-KEYBOARD-BLUE-DOTHXXXXKB03/dp/B001CZF09S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254673360&sr=1-6 = big good computer

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

bung posted:

The Mini 10 is supposed to have addressed the keyboard layout problems.

Yup. I used to sell Mini 9's over the summer and now Mini 10's, and their keyboards are definitely better.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Celebrated 1 year of membership in the world wide Cycle Asylum. :3:
Although I bought it on September 29, I figure October 4 is the proper anniversary, since that's when my insurance and plates and MTO paperwork was all made official. I didn't go out on the 4th cuz the weather sucked.

So I strapped on the tankbag, loaded the iPod full of Boston's first 3 albums, and went for a run out to the Mississagua Lego store:

And got something that was a bit too big to fit in the bag:

And if the weather's good this weekend, I'll be heading off to my folks' place for Thanksgiving, just like I did last year (although last year it was gorgeous weather). If I do I'll give 'er a good wash & polish.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 6, 2009

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Happy Anniversary!

Post some pics of the Lego when its built, I'd love to see it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hit 100 miles on the Kikker!

And coincidentally hit it while using my favorite parking technique:

skidmarks

This weekend I'm gonna change the oil and fix the valve head gasket. I decided to make the bike more authentic by not reading the directions for the liquid gasket last time, so now it seeps oil. :downsgun:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Added a little oil. Good old American (Harley) quality.

Also hit 6,000 miles on the Buell.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 24, 2020

bung
Dec 14, 2004

The Ducati went back to the shop. This is the third time for the front brakes and the second for an oil leak.

And here's what my ride did to me. Before I took it to the shop I washed and then I started it to let the water evaporate off of the engine. I was touching up some spots on the swingarm when I touched the exhaust.

bung fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 9, 2009

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They'll burn you all right. I have a scar on my left forearm from my dirt bike when I tried to do a shock adjustment after riding for 20 minutes.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I checked the valves, changed the oil, took some suspension measurements, and then put it down for a nap.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Traded it for awhile to OrangeFurious for his Thruxton. :w00t:

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Slim Pickens posted:

Hit 100 miles on the Kikker!

How the gently caress did you manage not to die? I'm kind of amazed, and now I want one too. Congrats on murder by proxy.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It has cool fancy stuff like brakes and a kill switch that help avoid death. I only do city riding on it, the majority of miles back and forth from college. You have to be patient with it. It's frustrating as gently caress trying to get going up a steep hill in Tacoma. Uphill stop lights are the bane of my existence while riding.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 24, 2020

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Zool posted:

I checked the valves, changed the oil, took some suspension measurements, and then put it down for a nap.

Yikes, did it fall all the way off the stand? :ohdear:

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!
I'm in the process of getting my KTM Duke II back on the road after leaving it in storage for a few years. So far, I've cleaned the carb, replaced a faulty float weight, and upped the main jet. I tracked down my lack of spark to a bad coil and replaced it with one I got from a breaker off eBay. I was particularly pumped about that as I had no prior experience chasing down electrical gremlins. After my first attempt at dealing with the ridiculous in frame oil system resulted in a total loving fiasco, I successfully changed the oil today on my second try. Next, I'm going to flush the brakes since the fluid looks like french coffee. I'll hold off on the new chain it needs for a bit, and just have the rear tire switched out with a new one I have sitting in my garage. Then I'm ready to rock. I can't loving wait. Should be ready just in time for the weather to cool off a little next weekend.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

sirbeefalot posted:

Yikes, did it fall all the way off the stand? :ohdear:

The bike wants to slide that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mechanism Eight posted:

Talking of hill starts, how's the foot clutch working out for you? Steep ones were comical on my little 125cc yamaha - It had a standard clutch but I'd have to slip it all the way up to about 10-15mph.

The foot clutch is part of it. It's hard to be as precise with your foot, so you hit a bump and you accidentally dump the clutch. It's all the way out at 5 mph, so it doesn't take too much slipping, but it's still pretty ridiculous compared to more powerful bikes, of course. Other than that, shifting a motorcycle with your hand is one of the coolest feelings in the world, as impractical as it may be.