Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I guess you don't have the option for iTunes to consolidate your library then. I kindof forget that this isn't a default option, seeing as I find it so useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

robodex posted:

Click here for the full 1440x900 image.

Now, I _really_ don't want to have to rearrange my apps,

Ugh yea I really hate this. Wish I could sync apps and turn off the sorting garbage.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Edit - nevermind

beejay fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 27, 2009

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I don't even know where to begin.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That doesn't seem very smart at all, let alone Genius :colbert:

Man Cub
Jan 12, 2004

Come on! I'm the lord and savior! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CRUCIFY ME, GOD DAMNIT!
I love how the intro on demon days is one of the last tracks on the genius playlist. That exact thing happened to me before, but it for some reason was "hip hop mix 2" and had gorillaz demon days and rjd2.

Genius must have a thing for that album.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I've recently been forcing myself to use iTunes, as I got gifted a shuffle. Genius is just about the only aspect I find myself enjoying, and ever since the most recent update, I can no longer look at my Genius Mixes in list view. It just made 12 random Genius Mixes for me, and I can't see what's inside of them.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

revolther posted:

I've recently been forcing myself to use iTunes, as I got gifted a shuffle. Genius is just about the only aspect I find myself enjoying, and ever since the most recent update, I can no longer look at my Genius Mixes in list view. It just made 12 random Genius Mixes for me, and I can't see what's inside of them.

The Genius play list you can look at from previous versions still exists.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004
Genius mixes are poo poo; I have no need for "rock mix 9" based on 'various artists and others'.

Without the minimal ability to say "base this one on 'faith no more' and 'therapy?'" its utterly pointless.

And why 9? Where is "make new mix"? Where is "this mix sucks; try again"?

Thoroughly, totally, moronic, lame, one-third finished feature.

Edit; genius playlists, on the other hand, are great.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
I have a small question/issue i'm trying to workout.

I had to re-add the music to my Itunes library - but I realized I have most of it in two larger folders. I guess previously I had them both in the Itunes library, and only one of them (say Music 1) was the folder that itunes managed.

I want to basically combine these two folders into one big folder.

What's the best way to do that? I'm trying to use this consolidate feature at the moment but I think it's putting the files into Music 1/Music (recopying all of them - luckily I have room).

I get the feeling I am being super inefficient about this.

Edit:

Okay here is the deal..I have what seems to be all my music in one folder now - except there are a significant amount of duplicates.
And I think there are physical duplicates.
Now I don't know what to do about this - should I start manually deleting or should I look for a backup of my music somewhere?
I've been having a lot of hard drive issues lately and I'm kind of worried about taking a lot of risks since my backups aren't in order.

The files are different in terms of their name, which I think I tunes did . IE one folder will say (1993) another [1993] for the same album.

Kalix fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 28, 2009

revolther
May 27, 2008

Riso posted:

The Genius play list you can look at from previous versions still exists.
I was trying to just hit the genius button in the now playing area, I guess you have to right click and start genius on a song to update the playlist instead of mixes now. Because simple intuitive design says, "Genius button on currently playing song? Why that should scan your whole library and return 12 mixes completely unrelated to this song."

Guess Genius playlists are viewable in list format, Genius mixes are just mysteries wrapped in enigmas.

Is there a way to automatically scan a folder for new songs? I keep all my music on an external, and as I download new music, I tag/name it then drop it in a Music folder under Artist/Album. It's quite irritating to either re-add the whole 80gig folder and remove duplicates, or to meticulously go through each new artist and album to import them.

Letting iTunes "manage" or rename/convert/fuckup my music collection isn't a viable option.

revolther fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 28, 2009

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

revolther posted:

I was trying to just hit the genius button in the now playing area, I guess you have to right click and start genius on a song to update the playlist instead of mixes now. Because simple intuitive design says, "Genius button on currently playing song? Why that should scan your whole library and return 12 mixes completely unrelated to this song."

Guess Genius playlists are viewable in list format, Genius mixes are just mysteries wrapped in enigmas.

Is there a way to automatically scan a folder for new songs? I keep all my music on an external, and as I download new music, I tag/name it then drop it in a Music folder under Artist/Album. It's quite irritating to either re-add the whole 80gig folder and remove duplicates, or to meticulously go through each new artist and album to import them.

Letting iTunes "manage" or rename/convert/fuckup my music collection isn't a viable option.
No, you cant. Just let itunes manage that poo poo, it does the same as you do, only automatically. Hell, if you change the artist/album it even makes new directories, removes the old one and moves the files to it. It doesnt matter its on an external, i have it there too and it works perfectly.

grumpy
Aug 30, 2004

I am running the latest version of iTunes(9.0.1.8) in Windows 7, 64-Bit.

Every time I launch iTunes, a second window - My Top Rated - opens along with the main app. If I close this secondary window, both of them close. :argh:

Is there a setting I am missing or is my install possessed?

edit:

It has magically fixed itself. After a couple weeks of the above behavior, iTunes waits until I ask about it, then corrects itself.

grumpy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 3, 2009

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003
does anyone use Ecoute on a regular basis? I'm thinking about buying it but I've heard that it has memory leaks. I'm using 10.6

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Sorry if this has been asked.

Is there a way to make a smart playlist for artists with <X number of songs in my library? I'm trying to cull the herd and have a lot of loners floating about from samplers, free downloads, mix cds etc. I want to listen to them and see who I should get more of or who I should delete.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Aphasian posted:

Sorry if this has been asked.

Is there a way to make a smart playlist for artists with <X number of songs in my library? I'm trying to cull the herd and have a lot of loners floating about from samplers, free downloads, mix cds etc. I want to listen to them and see who I should get more of or who I should delete.

Not without third party software or parsing the XML.

Something like this for instance:

grep "<key>Artist</key>" ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Music\ Library.xml | sort |
uniq -c | sort -n -r | less

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I'm about to loving murder someone, I just did a clean install of Windows 7 and now I'm getting "library can't be saved: you don't have sufficient access privileges". Anyone have any advice? It doesn't actually seem to be affecting anything so far as I can tell yet... but the pop up is pretty annoying.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I've scanned the thread and can't see anything about this, I also haven't been very successful Googling it.. Is there any way to change the location iTunes stores podcast files to move them outside the library folder?

I've recently bought a Drobo (network connected) and would like to store my music/podcasts on here and share them between both my Macbook and PC (with separate library files). I can do this with the music by managing the organisation manually as I always have, but I can't find a way to do the same for podcasts.

eames
May 9, 2009

SFrost007 posted:

I've scanned the thread and can't see anything about this, I also haven't been very successful Googling it.. Is there any way to change the location iTunes stores podcast files to move them outside the library folder?

You could move the podcast folder to wherever you want it to be and then create a symlink to it in the iTunes Library folder.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dogen posted:

I'm about to loving murder someone, I just did a clean install of Windows 7 and now I'm getting "library can't be saved: you don't have sufficient access privileges". Anyone have any advice? It doesn't actually seem to be affecting anything so far as I can tell yet... but the pop up is pretty annoying.

Have you tried taking ownership of the file?

Edit: In case you don't know how, there's a commandline command, and a feature in our very own xenomorph's xdn tweaker (google it) to add "take ownership" to the context menu.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Edit: In case you don't know how, there's a commandline command, and a feature in our very own xenomorph's xdn tweaker (google it) to add "take ownership" to the context menu.

Yeah this was the problem, I slogged through it on my own. I use D:\ as a media drive, and it had all the leftover garbage from my Win 7 RC install, so it had that odd series of numbers and letters representing my old profile as the owner. Thanks for the help, though, this was definitely the solution to my problem.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
I have like 10,000 songs I want to import into itunes. They have id3 tags, but not great ones, and I don't want to change the original files (bittorrent seeding). They all have a good directory structure like genre\artist\album\song.mp3. I don't mind making a new directory for the itunes library where itunes just does whatever the gently caress it wants in terms of organizing/renaming/moving/loving up my id3 tags.

1) Itunes really wants id3 tags, so I'd like a program that will take any missing id3 tags from the directory structure. this probably isn't a big deal, I can edit the info in itunes fairly quickly.
2) If there is a playlist file, itunes imports the song twice and makes 2 copies of it, then puts it into the same directory. Can it not do that?
3) Is there any way for itunes to watch a particular folder and import things into it, while leaving the originals?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Was having the exact same problem as Dogen this past few days. Not sure if it was related to an updated version of NOD32 or the fact I was playing from iTunes while backing it up to another drive, but hopefully this will fix it. Cheers.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

evensevenone posted:

I have like 10,000 songs I want to import into itunes. They have id3 tags, but not great ones, and I don't want to change the original files (bittorrent seeding). They all have a good directory structure like genre\artist\album\song.mp3. I don't mind making a new directory for the itunes library where itunes just does whatever the gently caress it wants in terms of organizing/renaming/moving/loving up my id3 tags.

1) Itunes really wants id3 tags, so I'd like a program that will take any missing id3 tags from the directory structure. this probably isn't a big deal, I can edit the info in itunes fairly quickly.
2) If there is a playlist file, itunes imports the song twice and makes 2 copies of it, then puts it into the same directory. Can it not do that?
3) Is there any way for itunes to watch a particular folder and import things into it, while leaving the originals?

I assume you're on Windows due to the path. You can do this with your legal Phish concert mp3s:

1) I think Tag&Rename might do this? Windows people talk about it a lot
2) Odd, in my experience they only get added twice if I add a folder with a playlist inside to a playlist; there will be one copy in the library but two in that playlist.
3) iTunes 9+ has a folder called "Automatically Add to iTunes" that you can set up whatever to copy stuff into.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Was having the exact same problem as Dogen this past few days. Not sure if it was related to an updated version of NOD32 or the fact I was playing from iTunes while backing it up to another drive, but hopefully this will fix it. Cheers.

Also on that subject I had another annoying lovely problem when I did my clean install of Windows 7, I installed NOD32 first thing and I ended up having all sorts of crazy problems after installing a few other programs, like they would launch as a process but a window would never come up. I restored back to before I had installed NOD32 (essentially to right where I had installed on a freshly formatted drive) and installed other poo poo and it seemed to fix it. Maybe there is some bad juju in the latest NOD32 update, though it's probably just a coincidence.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Dogen posted:

Also on that subject I had another annoying lovely problem when I did my clean install of Windows 7, I installed NOD32 first thing and I ended up having all sorts of crazy problems after installing a few other programs, like they would launch as a process but a window would never come up. I restored back to before I had installed NOD32 (essentially to right where I had installed on a freshly formatted drive) and installed other poo poo and it seemed to fix it. Maybe there is some bad juju in the latest NOD32 update, though it's probably just a coincidence.
Dunno dude - installing x64 NOD32 4.0.467.0 seems to roughly coincide with the problems I was having. Although sticking the iTunes folder in the Exceptions list didn't have any effect. I've used the solution where I Take Ownership of the iTunes folder on the back of Xenomorphs's XDN Tweaker, and so far so good. Since NOD32 3.0 was released though, it does have a history of messing with weird poo poo every now and again, especially with Vista.

Edit: poo poo, taking ownership of the iTunes folder didn't work. Ah well, I'll just have to put up with this bullshit.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 10, 2009

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
I seem to have a few (about 15) files that are giving iTunes trouble - every time I add a new track to my library, iTunes determines gapless playback for these files. Needless to say, this is becoming very tiresome. I've tried renaming the tags, setting gapless playback to on and off, etc. 12 of the tracks are from the same album. Does anyone have any solutions? Thanks.

I'm on a Mac running 10.6 and iTunes 9.0.1.

Always Shirtless
Oct 14, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Does anyone know if there's some way to get iTunes to stop doing this poo poo

it is the worst ahhhh

i found some applescript things from googling it but im on windows so welp

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
I have learned SO much from this thread, thanks guys!

I was wondering if there was an actual way to do a playlist for a podcast that includes the 3 oldest unheard episodes and the newest unheard episode I have. I'm listening to the Uhh Yeah Dude podcast and I'm catching up with them but I also want to listen to their newest episode every week.
I tried playing around with smart playlists but I haven't found an 'episode launch date' parameter.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Always Shirtless posted:

Does anyone know if there's some way to get iTunes to stop doing this poo poo

it is the worst ahhhh

i found some applescript things from googling it but im on windows so welp

I don't know, but if someone can figure this out I'll be pretty happy. This is the worst thing for two reasons:

1) I listen to all my podcasts on my iPhone
2) My iPhone seems to assume that unless I have listened to absolutely every loving second of a podcast, it should be left unplayed. Which is retarded because I'm not going to listen to the 2 minutes of music at the end of some of my podcasts just for that reason.

I wish iTunes would consider how much you listened to a podcast when marking it "read", so if you listen to 95% of one just mark it done already.

That, or there's something terribly wrong with my setup where something isn't happening like it should :(

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cacahuate posted:

I have learned SO much from this thread, thanks guys!

I was wondering if there was an actual way to do a playlist for a podcast that includes the 3 oldest unheard episodes and the newest unheard episode I have. I'm listening to the Uhh Yeah Dude podcast and I'm catching up with them but I also want to listen to their newest episode every week.
I tried playing around with smart playlists but I haven't found an 'episode launch date' parameter.

You can do this with two playlist and a folder. Put the following two playlists in a folder:

* "Last Played" is "not in the last" "1 week" (or whatever, doesn't really matter the duration). Limit it to 3, and have it pick by least recently added.

* "Las Played" is "not in the last" "Day". Limit to 1, picked by most recently added.

Then you just play from the folder.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!

IUG posted:

You can do this with two playlist and a folder. Put the following two playlists in a folder:

* "Last Played" is "not in the last" "1 week" (or whatever, doesn't really matter the duration). Limit it to 3, and have it pick by least recently added.

* "Las Played" is "not in the last" "Day". Limit to 1, picked by most recently added.

Then you just play from the folder.

I did something very similar at first, however, the order in which itunes downloads the episodes isn't necessarily the order in which the episodes came out. This way I'm getting episodes 121 and then 45 as the oldest not listened yet episodes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I recently updated Itunes to the newest version (9.0.1.8) and the most frustrating thing happened.

I listen to a lot of podcasts, and I have a smart playlist that automatically lists the most recent unplayed podcasts. Never had a problem up until now. Itunes itself shows them in the playlist, but as soon as I sync, the ipod shows 0 tracks, despite Itunes showing all the unplayed podcasts.

Any idea why the ipod would show something different than Itunes? Don't have shuffle on, that's the only thing I thought of...

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008

Medullah posted:

I recently updated Itunes to the newest version (9.0.1.8) and the most frustrating thing happened.

I listen to a lot of podcasts, and I have a smart playlist that automatically lists the most recent unplayed podcasts. Never had a problem up until now. Itunes itself shows them in the playlist, but as soon as I sync, the ipod shows 0 tracks, despite Itunes showing all the unplayed podcasts.

Any idea why the ipod would show something different than Itunes? Don't have shuffle on, that's the only thing I thought of...

When syncing the iPod, go to the "podcasts"-tab and make sure "sync podcasts" is checked. I never had to do this before iTunes 9, but it solved a similar problem I was having.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Am I missing something, or did iTunes 9 get rid of the shopping cart? Is everything one-click buy now?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

strwrsxprt posted:

Am I missing something, or did iTunes 9 get rid of the shopping cart? Is everything one-click buy now?

Yes, looks like they did.

Although the wish list looks like it's more or less the same thing, just not in the sidebar any more.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

haveblue posted:

Yes, looks like they did.

Although the wish list looks like it's more or less the same thing, just not in the sidebar any more.
I can make the Wish List work for me. I was frustrated to find the Shopping Cart gone because if I decide to buy maybe a dozen albums in one night, my bank's anti-fraud/theft protection usually kicks because of all the little transactions. This way I can buy still buy everything at once - thanks.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this.

Something - either iTunes or my iPod - is corrupting my AAC files (all purchased music from the iTunes store, since I rip my CDs to MP3 with LAME).

Files that were perfectly fine to begin with have started skipping on my iPod (just goes straight to the next song after 5 or 15 seconds). When those songs are played in iTunes or on my iPhone I'll hear a click, blip, or blank moment at the point where the song skips on the iPod.

This has happened over the course of 8 months now and my library has been on 3 different hard drives in that time, so I know it's not a corrupt drive on my computer. I've tried creating a new iTunes library and reimporting everything there, and that hasn't helped. I've wiped and restored my iPod multiple times.

I'm getting the feeling it's the iPod that's doing it. But if files are somehow getting corrupted on the iPod, how is the corruption affecting files on my iTunes? So maybe not. I was hoping some of you might have some idea or might have even run into this before... It's gotten to the point where 2/3 of my purchased music is unplayable and it's immensely frustrating.

Edit: I've been sitting here playing a known-good file trying to get my ipod to corrupt it so I can do a before-and-after comparison on the files. No problems yet, but it just occurred to me I usually play my iPod through my car's Alpine stereo (iPod connects through dock cable to the head unit, head unit reads files and playlists right off the iPod). Maybe that motherfucker is corrupting my files somehow. I really hate that thing. I will test this and report back...

Edit 2: Couldn't get my test file to corrupt at all. However, I discovered every corrupt song was purchased (or upgraded) after iTunes went entirely DRM-free in April 2009. No tracks I have that were purchased prior to then (only DRM-free iTunes Plus tracks, since I upgraded all the rest) have any corruption problems whatsoever. My test file was one of those so I'm going to try a different one. April 2009 also coincides with when the corruption issues started (but back then I thought it was a dying iPod because the corruption wasn't apparent when playing the files in iTunes, so I never made the connection).

Edit 3: Since I can't reproduce the problem anymore I've removed the files from iTunes and asked the support people to let me re-download my purchased music, which they've done. Unfortunately, it looks like they just reset EVERYTHING, meaning I've got many gigabytes of TV shows in my iTunes download queue now, and I really have no need to redownload all that stuff because it works fine. Is there any way to remove these items permanently? (If I select one and press delete it tells me it'll still show up as an available download later.) On the plus side, there's an audiobook I accidentally deleted that I'll be getting back now...

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 12, 2009

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Green Eyed Loco-Man posted:

When syncing the iPod, go to the "podcasts"-tab and make sure "sync podcasts" is checked. I never had to do this before iTunes 9, but it solved a similar problem I was having.

I finally fixed it, I had to check "sync ALL podcasts", where before it was "sync all unplayed podcasts". Which is retarded, because the ones I tried to play WERE unplayed.

But googling found that it was an extremely common problem, so oh well. Go itunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Decline posted:

I seem to have a few (about 15) files that are giving iTunes trouble - every time I add a new track to my library, iTunes determines gapless playback for these files. Needless to say, this is becoming very tiresome. I've tried renaming the tags, setting gapless playback to on and off, etc. 12 of the tracks are from the same album. Does anyone have any solutions? Thanks.

I'm on a Mac running 10.6 and iTunes 9.0.1.

I've got the same thing with about 8 tracks in my library and it happened with iTunes 8 as well. Every time iTunes loads it scans those same files which is really annoying. Haven't found a fix for it yet unfortunately.