Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Probably just some passing fad from BMW. You know those Germans. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Jack the Smack posted:

Wtf is with that wacky engine?

I'm pretty sure thats BMW's standard Boxer engine.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Methusulah posted:

Well gently caress, I just got thrown off my bike because of a loving deer, and I would have rather hit the airbag and been knocked back off the bike a few yards instead of literally bouncing down the road at 60 miles an hour. But then again, they'd have to implement an airbag on an EX250. Bah. I think the biggest advantage is absorbing the initial forward momentum of the crash.
Huh? How'd that happen? Bike trashed?

Honestly, with technology, I wouldn't be surprised if they could get them down in size, and make them a safety requirement in several years.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Note the SUV is using blinkers.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

That carbon fiber bit is making my skin crawl, but other than that its sweet. Tyte CAD skills too, Igarashi.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Jack the Smack posted:

Is my sense of speed off or is that biker going really, really fast?

Still an example of how difficult it can be to judge the speed of an oncoming motorcycle

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Holy gently caress.

Never quite seen an impact like that.

That's a good fuckin lesson right there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jack the Smack posted:

Remember kids, wear your gear. :eng99:

Seriously though, it looks like it ends with the SUV parking on the dude's head :saddowns:

Biker's probably doing 60ish? Give or take 20mph?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looks like a hand held camera. You sure it isn't faked? I don't see any other reason someone would be taping an intersection at just that time.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Looks like a hand held camera. You sure it isn't faked? I don't see any other reason someone would be taping an intersection at just that time.

Maybe the cameraman and the guy on the bike were in cahoots?

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Jack the Smack posted:

crash
I can't stop watching it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Is my sense of speed off or is that biker going really, really fast?

Given the speed of the SUV before they start turning, the car behind it, and the people walking in the background, I'd say he was definitely moving pretty drat fast when he hit.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Plus it's got a hell of a lot of momentum to rock an SUV up onto two wheels. Mass is low, therefore speed is high.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Slim Pickens posted:

Could have been a hand held camera recording a screen. Not all videos like this are released to the public so he may have boot legged it from a security center using a cell phone camera.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Might be, it's pretty lovely quality. gently caress, that's a rough crash. I could've had two (much) lower speed T-bones today getting out of school, so I guess it kinda hits home.

Edit: Neither were even close to a collision, but still make you realize how vulnerable you are.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 9, 2009

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
This might just be me, but it seems the cyclist tried to angle to his right perhaps trying to avoid or go around the SUV.

Man, mass times velocity. gently caress physics

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Jack the Smack posted:

That isn't an SUV...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

abigserve posted:

That isn't an SUV...

After looking at the video I realize that you're probably right but care to elaborate on what vehicle it is or are you just too busy patting yourself on the back?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Jack the Smack posted:

Ohdearsweetjesus

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
We had a similar wreck at my school last year. Some nutjob doing about 100mph on a busy road t-boned a suv on the left side, as it was making a left turn. The suv almost did a complete roll, the rider was very dead and I think one of the people in the suv got hurt pretty bad.

StonedogJones
Mar 13, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

jesus how do you stop looking at it. bike looks like it was flying.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Coredump posted:

After looking at the video I realize that you're probably right but care to elaborate on what vehicle it is or are you just too busy patting yourself on the back?

I think its a Lada Niva, which is sort of an SUV.

And that rider is dead as gently caress considering the speed at which he plowed into the side of the car with.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

you sport bikers with your prejudices...

What is this? Can we have a bigger pic, please?

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Z3n posted:

Biker's probably doing 60ish? Give or take 20mph?

I can't really figure out wtf (and I'm bored at work)

The SUV's turn seems pretty abrupt like he's carrying speed and trying to beat the bike not realizing how fast it's going. From how quick the turn in is and the pace of the pedestrian, I'd say he's going 25mph. There's no apparent slowing of the SUV before the turn, either. And even before I saw the bike hit, I thought it looked abnormal. Queue bike going 4x as fast (100mph?!) smashing into it.

The SUV then doesn't carry a lot of momentum forward after the hit, and stops pretty much in 1 car length. Maybe he wasn't taking the turn fast, and was only going 10mph? That makes 4x faster at 40mph on the bike which seems reasonable?

The car in the background is going much slower that the SUV... but could be for unknown reasons. This confuses me.

On a bike you have to assume that everyone IS going to turn in front of you, especially if they're signaling. For how quick the bike hit after the SUV started turning, he was either going 100mph and the SUV had 'space' but not time, or the SUV driver didn't see him and the speeds were much less egregious.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Well, assuming there aren't some crazy laws where ever that was taken, if you're turning left, you're supposed to yield to oncoming traffic. Doesn't matter if your signal is on or not. The guy in the SUV/whatever obviously either didn't see the biker, or seriously misjudged his speed.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

UserNotFound posted:

I can't really figure out wtf (and I'm bored at work)

The SUV's turn seems pretty abrupt like he's carrying speed and trying to beat the bike not realizing how fast it's going. From how quick the turn in is and the pace of the pedestrian, I'd say he's going 25mph. There's no apparent slowing of the SUV before the turn, either. And even before I saw the bike hit, I thought it looked abnormal. Queue bike going 4x as fast (100mph?!) smashing into it.

The SUV then doesn't carry a lot of momentum forward after the hit, and stops pretty much in 1 car length. Maybe he wasn't taking the turn fast, and was only going 10mph? That makes 4x faster at 40mph on the bike which seems reasonable?

The car in the background is going much slower that the SUV... but could be for unknown reasons. This confuses me.

On a bike you have to assume that everyone IS going to turn in front of you, especially if they're signaling. For how quick the bike hit after the SUV started turning, he was either going 100mph and the SUV had 'space' but not time, or the SUV driver didn't see him and the speeds were much less egregious.

I've been in a similar crash at about 35mph and the force of the bike in my accident wasn't enough to bring two wheels up of the Volvo S60 that I hit. My bike stayed pretty much where the impact was rather than going 20'+ further away. I'd say the bike was carrying quite a bit of speed 60-80mph is my guess in order for it to rock the car the way it did.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Well, assuming there aren't some crazy laws where ever that was taken, if you're turning left, you're supposed to yield to oncoming traffic. Doesn't matter if your signal is on or not. The guy in the SUV/whatever obviously either didn't see the biker, or seriously misjudged his speed.

I agree that there is some minute element of fault on the drivers part, but it's grossly overshadowed by the fact that the biker was doing way over the legal limit. Every biker should know that their speed is difficult for others to judge because of their size.

Can't... stop... watching...

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bike cam of dumb loving cagers not seeing you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpVq3fNulGE

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slim Pickens posted:

Bike cam of...why you should wear a helmet, practice swerving, and make full use of all of the road, not just what the little lines say you should.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Slim Pickens posted:

drat, almost had that happened to me but cleared the vehicle by a couple inches. Seeing all his injuries, I'm glad that didn't happen to me.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
I know it's easy to say sitting here on the interwebs, but that crash seemed fairly easily avoidable.

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

cmorrow001 posted:

I know it's easy to say sitting here on the interwebs, but that crash seemed fairly easily avoidable.
Yeah, it's easy to say "oh he should have just swerved" but I do get the impression that he target fixated on that truck pretty hard. I've made that easy-to-commit mistake too.

I don't think the video showed/said what kind of gear he was wearing though. I'd be interested to know.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

eggyolk posted:

I agree that there is some minute element of fault on the drivers part, but it's grossly overshadowed by the fact that the biker was doing way over the legal limit. Every biker should know that their speed is difficult for others to judge because of their size.

Can't... stop... watching...

Yeah, we don't know a lot of facts necessary to attribute fault (like how fast the biker was going).

cmorrow001 posted:

Having messed around with a cam on my bike and looking at it immediately after riding, I can tell you that whatever is on the cam seems very far away and slow compared to what really happened. On the bike, I bet that happened very, very quickly.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah, we don't know a lot of facts necessary to attribute fault (like how fast the biker was going).

Having messed around with a cam on my bike and looking at it immediately after riding, I can tell you that whatever is on the cam seems very far away and slow compared to what really happened. On the bike, I bet that happened very, very quickly.

I'm sure it happened very very quickly, but you can clearly hear (and see) he had enough time to jam on the rear brake. That time could have been used to apply FRONT brake and dodge to the right. The truck didn't exactly dart into his path either, plus there was plenty of room to the right.

Edit: Watching the seconds before the impact I would have already been slowing down. If you look where he started to enter the intersection, he was in the far right part of his lane. Where he ended up was in the middle to left hand part of his lane. I'm also pretty sure that the truck was fully stopped before he hit it.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Edit: The single unifying factor in all motorcycle accidents is a life lived in sin, far from the light of the lord jesus. I should know, that's how mine happened.

Ringo R posted:

What is this? Can we have a bigger pic, please?

victory motor's 2010 somethinorother. And it comes from their site, so probably not. But *maybe*...

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/victory/victory-prototype-unveiled-at-new-york-ims-87839.html

it's called CORE.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 9, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Revenant.Eagle posted:

I'm sure it happened very very quickly, but you can clearly hear (and see) he had enough time to jam on the rear brake. That time could have been used to apply FRONT brake and dodge to the right. The truck didn't exactly dart into his path either, plus there was plenty of room to the right.

Edit: Watching the seconds before the impact I would have already been slowing down. If you look where he started to enter the intersection, he was in the far right part of his lane. Where he ended up was in the middle to left hand part of his lane. I'm also pretty sure that the truck was fully stopped before he hit it.

This is why it's so important to be aware of your lane positioning. If he'd been at the far right of the lane, he would have both been able to have some additional reaction time, and would have been able to make it past without hitting the bumper of the truck.

It's always good to maximize your space cushion between vehicles.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Edit: The single unifying factor in all motorcycle accidents is a life lived in sin, far from the light of the lord jesus. I should know, that's how mine happened.

victory motor's 2010 somethinorother. And it comes from their site, so probably not. But *maybe*...

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/victory/victory-prototype-unveiled-at-new-york-ims-87839.html

it's called CORE.

I like how narrow and minimilist that is...the bike itself is no wider than the forks, which is pretty awesome.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
It seems like couldn't have gotten those injuries with a helmet on and guess what? No helmet law in Colorado (unless you're under 18). So you can figure t-shirt and jeans was probably it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Yeah, absolutely. I'm of the opinion that if you crash, it's 99% likely you could have avoided it somehow (except for that one guy that got hit with the random truck tire out of nowhere on the freeway - he gets a pass). Just saying it's not as slow as it looks in that vid.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Slim Pickens posted:

Anyone in here claiming that they would have not been hit by this guy is full of poo poo. He was actually pretty far on the right side of the lane - and there was a parked car on the shoulder. You make a split second reaction, and most people's first instinct is to hit the brakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
yeah. Do it more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujb_HhMWT8A