Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Hell0Friend posted:

I don't know where else to get this answer, but is there a way to have playlists or mp3s of interviews play at 2x speed like podcasts now, other than using an external program on my computer?

Select the MP3, and go to Get Info>Options>Media Kind and select Audiobook. Podcast may work too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

edit: nvm

mistermojo fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 30, 2009

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Yeet posted:

I'm thinking of getting an iPod Touch, but I really want to hook it up to my car stereo which does not have a tape deck so I can't use the adapter thing. I've read that FM transmitters aren't the greatest either so I do have any other options?

I know it's a bitch of a solution, but I had the same issue when I bought my Touch, and I just went over to Best Buy and bought a new deck for the car. The low end Pioneer CD deck for about $120 comes with an iPod adapter that's pretty sweet. It'll let you scroll through your albums/artists/playlists/songs and also charge your iPod at the same time.

An FM transmitter does indeed suck, but if you choose to go that route, I always had luck with this Belkin FM Transmitter.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
My NeoTouch arrived today so here's a quick review.

Switcheasy, as always, provides literally everything you need and more. Extra silicon membrane, squeegee for the screen protector, 3.5mm adapter jack, movie stand, microfiber cloth, 2 screen protectors and a dock protector(arguably my favorite piece).

I spent a good 5 minutes putting the screen protector on. I wiped and cleaned down a desk, grabbed some powder-free medical gloves and went to work. I saw everyone putting these protectors on with these sprays and making sure their fingers are wet so they don't spread fingerprints and decided that was stupid. From my vantage point, I was right. The gloves allowed free movement of my fingers and allowed for slipups without risking fingerprints and oils on the protector. I abandoned the squeegee provided for a credit card because it matches the side dimensions of my Touch and allowed me to get a better wipe. I eventually worked the protector on and can safely say that no air bubbles or debris lies under it.

As for the case itself, after having watched 3-4 videos of installation, it came quite easy. I literally put everything on in one go, did some slight moving of the membrane and in less than a minute I was good to go. This is not the pain its sometimes made out to be, that's for sure.

I'm pretty drat impressed with the case. I came from one of those monstrous leather folding cases so the ease of access is just glorious to me. Its not bulky in the least and feels very natural in my hands, especially in landscape. I went with white and I like the look a lot. The membrane over the buttons is incredibly sensitive and you'll have no problem with them. It looks like it can survive one hell of drop on just about any surface, too. I'm also not feeling any shifting in the case as described by another member previously.

So all in all, I'm 60 minutes into having the case and I doubt I'll be looking at another one for quite some time, if ever.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 1, 2009

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

CubanRefugee posted:

I know it's a bitch of a solution, but I had the same issue when I bought my Touch, and I just went over to Best Buy and bought a new deck for the car. The low end Pioneer CD deck for about $120 comes with an iPod adapter that's pretty sweet. It'll let you scroll through your albums/artists/playlists/songs and also charge your iPod at the same time.

This is basically what my brother did and we're both pretty pleased with it. Couldn't install it ourselves though (check Google to see if this guide is regularly available for your make/model car -- for us, it wasn't), so I think it was $50 extra for the install.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
So my touch froze when I tried to shut if off. Anything I can do about it besides waiting the 40 or so hours itll take for the battery to drain?

Kind of weird, it still reacts to touch, the clock is still working on it, but I just can't do anything. The slide to power off bar is there, and does nothing, as is the cancel bar (that does nothing as well).

King of Spit fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 1, 2009

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

King of Spit posted:

So my touch froze when I tried to shut if off. Anything I can do about it besides waiting the 40 or so hours itll take for the battery to drain?

Kind of weird, it still reacts to touch, the clock is still working on it, but I just can't do anything. The slide to power off bar is there, and does nothing, as is the cancel bar (that does nothing as well).

Apple.com posted:

If that doesn't work, reset iPod touch. Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006

BorderPatrol posted:

ohhh you're awesome

fixed

King of Spit fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 1, 2009

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So my ipod touch has a dead pixel now.

It might have happened when I accidentaly dropped it today although I didn't notice it until just now.

I don't suppose theres anything I can do about it? Other than suck it up I mean. I just like having all my electronics in nice and perfect working order :(

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
So I finally upgraded to the 3.1 software, and now a bunch of the album art isn't showing up when I'm just scrolling through the albums list. I've tried going back through Tag & Rename, making sure every song is tagged, and adding it back on, but it still doesn't show up.

Also for some weird reason "You in Reverse" and "There's Nothing Wrong with Love" show up twice (as in, the entire album has two different entries, not just the album split as if there was a slightly different spelling). I'm 300% positive they're only on there once. What gives?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

King of Spit posted:

So I finally upgraded to the 3.1 software, and now a bunch of the album art isn't showing up when I'm just scrolling through the albums list. I've tried going back through Tag & Rename, making sure every song is tagged, and adding it back on, but it still doesn't show up.

Also for some weird reason "You in Reverse" and "There's Nothing Wrong with Love" show up twice (as in, the entire album has two different entries, not just the album split as if there was a slightly different spelling). I'm 300% positive they're only on there once. What gives?

I've only ever had a problem with your second issue and then only in iTunes and never my Touch. What I'd suggest for both is completely removing the offending music from iTunes, syncing, add the music back to iTunes fixed and then sync again. I rarely have an issue where I add an album and then update the info inside of iTunes and a track or two splits off for no apparent reason. Deleting everything and adding it back always fixes it for me.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
So I finally made the plunge and ordered a 32 gig 3g Touch and an iSkin. Now we play the waiting game. Also my bank account is crying.

Hey let's talk apps! I want some recommendations for cool ones.

Here's some I am looking forward to getting:

Battlechest - Use a variety of medieval weapons in a super fun way. I tried it out on my friend's touch and my favorite is probably the mace, swinging it over your head feels so awesome.

Finger Race - Run with your fingers!

I'm kinda new to the scene so I'm sorry if these are old played out piles of gay :(.

Hey what's the status of that touch GBA emulator?

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Crotch Bat posted:

I rarely have an issue where I add an album and then update the info inside of iTunes and a track or two splits off for no apparent reason. Deleting everything and adding it back always fixes it for me.
I get this sometimes too. Bugs the hell out of me. I usually end up just selecting the tracks and checking 'Part of a compilation' which throws them back together. Screws up the location on your hard disk, of course, but quicker than deleting and re-adding.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

:words:

Head to http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=192 for the Games, Apps and Jailbreak threads. This is just for Touch alone(problems, accessories, hardware, etc).

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

jadias posted:

My G2 32Gb Touch has started creaking slightly, and when I look/feel around, I notice the screen is lifting away very slightly in the bottom left corner, so when I play something like Tap Tap Revenge 2, I can feel flex when I tap the left-hand 'button'.

Is this common? Is it likely to get worse? I look after my Touch (there aren't even any noticable scratches on the screen and I don't have a protector) but this worries me slightly.

Annoyingly I'm living out of the country I bought it in for the next year, so getting it looked after by Apple may be tricky, too...
Call them and talk about it even if you have to send it in for service. Mine did that and cracked on its own a few days later.

Away all Goats posted:

So my ipod touch has a dead pixel now.

It might have happened when I accidentaly dropped it today although I didn't notice it until just now.

I don't suppose theres anything I can do about it? Other than suck it up I mean. I just like having all my electronics in nice and perfect working order :(
Take it to the Apple store and don't mention dropping it if you're not sure. The worst that can happen is they tell you it's not covered, and they'll probably give you a new one.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Does anyone have a fairly cheap dock they would recommend? Truth be told I'm really not sure what makes a good dock, but I suppose something with an alarm clock and radio would be nice. But I guess I'm mainly looking for something that's decent for a low price.

I should be getting a neotouch case in a few days. I had been using the Otterbox, and while I've been pretty happy with it I'm looking forward to something a little more slim. I'll throw up some comparisons if anyone is interested in a few days.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Anyone here use their Touch with AT&T's wifi at a Starbucks? I can connect to the AP, but their login splash page never comes up. Occasionally in Safari a grey overlay will pop up with a spinning "pinwheel" in the middle and I won't be able to interact with it (Safari that is, I can still return to home and other apps) again until I go into settings and turn off wifi.

I just want to take advantage of my rewards card :(

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
For those of you with 2g touches (ONLY 2g), there is a jailbreak fix available. Click here! I went from regular 3.1.1 straight to jailbroken 3.1.1.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
Anyone else having ridiculous playcount issues? My touch says I have listened to songs a few hundred times every time I plug it back in. What the hell?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

King of Spit posted:

Anyone else having ridiculous playcount issues? My touch says I have listened to songs a few hundred times every time I plug it back in. What the hell?

your sister is listening to wham while you sleep

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

Someone said if you hold down the home button for 10 seconds that it closes anything in the background thats using memory, and makes it like if you had restarted the device. Is this true?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Kin Corn Karn posted:

Someone said if you hold down the home button for 10 seconds that it closes anything in the background thats using memory, and makes it like if you had restarted the device. Is this true?

Didn't do anything on my 2G Touch running 3.1.1.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

plester1 posted:

Didn't do anything on my 2G Touch running 3.1.1.

Well, it's supposed to close whatever the currently running app is, but they changed it in 3.x. Now you have to hold the power button until the slider comes up and then hold the home button.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Is there a reason why I can't view a good amount of youtube videos on my ipod? They aren't coming up in the app. When I go to youtube in safari to find the video and click on it, the youtube app opens but says that it can't open the file.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
On a 1G iPod Touch running 3.0 JB, is there any hack/app that will allow use of the volume slider even if headphones are NOT plugged in?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Tapedump posted:

On a 1G iPod Touch running 3.0 JB, is there any hack/app that will allow use of the volume slider even if headphones are NOT plugged in?

Why would you need to do this?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
:siren: Free NimbleBit Games :siren:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

GWBBQ posted:

Take it to the Apple store and don't mention dropping it if you're not sure. The worst that can happen is they tell you it's not covered, and they'll probably give you a new one.
Thanks for the tip. I assume they'll want me to bring the box and everything that came with the ipod when I bought it right?

Also, will the fact that I bought my ipod touch at at an 'authorized reseller' (futureshop), be a problem? I sure hope not.

Super Dude posted:

Is there a reason why I can't view a good amount of youtube videos on my ipod? They aren't coming up in the app. When I go to youtube in safari to find the video and click on it, the youtube app opens but says that it can't open the file.

I've noticed the youtube app in general is terrible for finding videos unless you have a direct link you can click on or have the EXACT title written down. Even then, sometimes it won't give you the video your looking for even though you tried it on your PC and you KNOW the video is on youtube.

Like try searching "trials of life attenborough" on your regular browser and then on the youtube app. Completely different results.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
So I got my Switch Easy case. And yeah, I guess I'm pretty much the opposite of Crotch Bat.

For one, the screen protectors are a mess. I went as slow and as carefully as humanly possible, but I kept getting air bubbles in the exact same spot no matter what I did. For both screens. So yeah, it looked pretty bad, and I'm pretty drat sure there was nothing I could do about it.

I will admit that the case does feel pretty good in the hand. But coming from my tank of an Otterbox it just feels weak to me, and despite not having any problems with installation the silicon sleeve had already torn in 20 minutes. Also the Dock converter doesn't fit my (admittedly cheap) dock, and it won't fit any other way.

Otterbox is already back on. It only feels slightly worse in the hand than the Neo touch, and considering its superior protection and ease of disassembly so I can dock makes it the clear winner in my eyes. At least the movie stand fits the Otterbox and I got a pretty nice cloth

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 9, 2009

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Yeah the YouTube app sucks for searching for videos. I just use Safari to surf YouTube's normal site and search/watch videos from there. It would be nice if Apple improved the app.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

WDIIA posted:

... and despite not having any problems with installation the silicon sleeve had already torn in 20 minutes.

This happened to me when I got my NeoTouch as well. I contacted Switcheasy and included pictures of the torn silicon hoping to get replacements, and to my suprise they sent me an entire second brand new NeoTouch.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
I have an Incase brand slider case for my iPod Touch. I kind of like it. I obviously haven't read this whole entire discussion, but are these cases you all are talking about unequivocally better than an Incase? I ask because a friend wants a case for her iPod and I want to get her something good.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Super Dude posted:

Tapedump posted:

Why would you need to do this?
Does it matter? It was convenient for me when changing listening situations, the details of which would bore and have little relevance.

If the possibility exists then I'd like to take advantage of it.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Tapedump posted:

Does it matter? It was convenient for me when changing listening situations, the details of which would bore and have little relevance.

If the possibility exists then I'd like to take advantage of it.

Does the volume slider disappear when you unplug your headphones on a 1g? You could try using one of those 'swipe' music navigation apps in Cydia and see if it will still let you adjust the volume.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Yes, it does. Not a big deal but I kinda miss it.

I'll have to check out Cydia. Any app names spring to mind?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kreeblah posted:

Well, it's supposed to close whatever the currently running app is, but they changed it in 3.x. Now you have to hold the power button until the slider comes up and then hold the home button.

This is an incredibly helpful trick... thanks!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Is there currently any way to play videos off my iPod to my TV? Would the resolution be way too lovely? What are my options?

edit: My battery went from 80 to 20 % battery capacity in two hors somehow...what is going on? I shut off wifi, and I don't know what else could be gobbling up its juice so hard.

Do games that save your progress upon pressing home button continue to eat up power? What's going on?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 13, 2009

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
whoops double post I'm dumb

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Is there currently any way to play videos off my iPod to my TV? Would the resolution be way too lovely? What are my options?

edit: My battery went from 80 to 20 % battery capacity in two hors somehow...what is going on? I shut off wifi, and I don't know what else could be gobbling up its juice so hard.

Do games that save your progress upon pressing home button continue to eat up power? What's going on?

I haven't used it, but Apple and other companies make an A/V cable.

You left a movie or game running? Otherwise, no clue. I leave my wifi on and iPod sitting without a problem.

Shouldn't, the iPod doesn't have background programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

WeaselWeaz posted:

You left a movie or game running? Otherwise, no clue. I leave my wifi on and iPod sitting without a problem.

When you say I left it running you mean actively running on the screen, right? If its not happening on the screen its not using resources? Playing music doesn't seem super resource intensive, but I'm guessing that's one of the only things that keeps running when going to home screen...what if I pause the music, is it still running in background? I just got this iPod last week so I'm thinkin its not the battery.

• Locked thread