Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

incredibull posted:

Have you had them rained on yet? I heard from some people that they can leak. That would suck because they're my last step in winterizing my Jeep.

THEY don't leak as far as I can tell. I'm having a few fit problems with my half hard top. But most of my problems are the half doors needing to be adjusted and fitting them with a non oem half hard top vs oem soft top.

I'm ordering some drip rails to run water down the side of the top instead of the water running right off under the lip and in between the seals on the door.

I'm pretty sure dealing with factory tops there shouldn't be leaking issues based on what I have seen so far. Like I said most of my leaking problems are from the half hard top and just needing to iron out individual model bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

fordham posted:

A picture would be helpful to sort out exactly what you are referring to. When I hear "hitch" I always think of the steel bar you attach the trailer ball (or bike rack, or whatever) to. Is this how your spare tire is attached?

This is what I have now - the stock spare carrier, and it's starting to buckle so I took it off. My spare tire is too big for it.

I've looked around at the different options for mounting a new bumper in order to put the weight of the tire on to the frame but hoped one of you guys could recommend a good brand or model.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

fordham posted:

Regarding your 2003 XJ - You're the only one in the world with one. The XJ's last year was 2001.

A picture would be helpful to sort out exactly what you are referring to. When I hear "hitch" I always think of the steel bar you attach the trailer ball (or bike rack, or whatever) to. Is this how your spare tire is attached?

They were still made in China until 2005 and I've seen a handful of them imported here in the US.

But yeah, I don't get what he's trying to say either since XJ's have always carried their spares internally due to the hatch design.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Philip J Fry posted:

They were still made in China until 2005 and I've seen a handful of them imported here in the US.

But yeah, I don't get what he's trying to say either since XJ's have always carried their spares internally due to the hatch design.
I think he wants an external wheel carrier because he doesn't want or can't fit his spare in the back, and because of the hatch, he wants a bumper-hinged one. Range Rover Classic owners have similar problems.

There are off-the-shelf rear bumpers with wheel carriers available. It's just a question of how much you're willing to spend.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

Unzip and Attack posted:

This is what I have now - the stock spare carrier, and it's starting to buckle so I took it off. My spare tire is too big for it.

I've looked around at the different options for mounting a new bumper in order to put the weight of the tire on to the frame but hoped one of you guys could recommend a good brand or model.

How about a picture of the Jeep? Was that just bolted to the tail gate?

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

THEY don't leak as far as I can tell. I'm having a few fit problems with my half hard top. But most of my problems are the half doors needing to be adjusted and fitting them with a non oem half hard top vs oem soft top.

I'm ordering some drip rails to run water down the side of the top instead of the water running right off under the lip and in between the seals on the door.

I'm pretty sure dealing with factory tops there shouldn't be leaking issues based on what I have seen so far. Like I said most of my leaking problems are from the half hard top and just needing to iron out individual model bugs.

Well did yours come with a crazy warped channel like this one did? I'm thinking about sending them back. I'm thinking there's no way that these will seal.

One of the channel seals also just snaps on and wasn't installed with any sort of adhesive so it can just pop off on its own. Pretty crappy IMO. I'm not impressed.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

InitialDave posted:

There are off-the-shelf rear bumpers with wheel carriers available. It's just a question of how much you're willing to spend.

They can be pricey, most of the jeep ones come with custom rear bumpers to allow mounting points.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12052_40X_PG.htm
http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Bull-Bars-Bumpers-And-Tire-Carriers/Tire-Carriers/16.aspx

I picked up a surplus government Rhino HMMWV tire carrier with a geared wormscrew lift and ratchet for about $230 [half of that was freight], since the defense department is replacing them with a newer style that can lift a split rim with one ratchet pump instead of 8-10 with the old models.

I saw a jeep retrofitted with one but it was running rockwell axles with 8 lug wheels, so it would make sense for something like that.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

fordham posted:

Hawk LTS are the best I've come across. I put them on my 00 XJ and it stops much better towing my boat now.

Regarding your water problem - Is your splash guard thing still intact (black curtain that dangles beneath the engine)? 10" of water isn't all that much. Your snorkel is behind one of your headlights so there certainly isn't any water in your intake from a 10" puddle.

If you have a floor jack, jack it up and spin the front tires a bit and see if you hear/feel anything.

That sounds an awful lot like a warped rotor which is probably possible if you were doing heavy braking (heating the rotor substantially) then dunked it into a lot of water suddenly.
Found the problem pretty quickly once I took a look: the pad material had sheared off the backplate, presumably due to heat-quenching (still, what the gently caress, I've never seen that). Obviously galled the hell out of the rotor. Getting them off the hubs was a hell of a task, but after getting everything seated, all is good. Odd that it never pulled to the right under heavy braking...

The water-ingestion fear was nothing more than paranoia. I relocated the diff vent lines and such a few years back, but the splashguard is held in place using zip-ties - a Class III front hitch interfered with the stock ones. My fear was a wheel bearing grinding under lateral load more than anything else, considering that braking hard never produced a pull.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Painted hardtop inside and out and then lined the top with marine insulated carpet. Tried painting the hardtop with spray-on bedliner first - awful idea. Had to sand down back to the base coat, but I didn't sand down to the original paint, so the final texture turned out a little rough. Used Rustoleum satin black.

Also threw on a new set of BFG AT 30s, door sliders, and replaced my trashed sway bar end links with Tera disconnects recently. Jeep is winterized.

Now I have to replace the front coils with something stiffer. For some reason, my front coils are marked 126AB, which from what I understand were only for use on 4-cyl models. 4.0 models are suppsed to have 127AB-130AB coils, with the higher numbers indicating a stiffer rate. I'm tired of the sag (1 1/2" difference from rear) and the pinion angle is too steep because of it, giving me a bit of a vibe at 35MPH.

If anyone has some TJ 127-130AB or V8 GC coils laying around after a lift, feel free to send them my way.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 5, 2009

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

incredibull posted:

Painted hardtop inside and out and then lined the top with marine insulated carpet.

I'd like to know more about what it took to get the carpet inside the top. I want to do that to my half top.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
I used black outdoor/marine carpet from Lowes. A precut square to cover the entire full top was $20, and I ended up with more than I needed anyway. This stuff is supposed to be moisture/stain/mold-resistant and it's really light.

The adhesive is 3M spray, 80-strength. I didn't go with a higher strength because this stuff is labeled as being formulated especially for bonding vinyl/rubber and auto headliner. The top is close enough to vinyl and the carpeting has a rubber foam backing, so it sounded perfect to me.

With the top upside-down on the ground, figure out the area that you want to carpet and mark it. Mask off the surrounding areas really well, because the spray adhesive is nasty stuff and you don't want to overspray onto anything.

Take your measurements and cut the carpet. Spray the adhesive on both surfaces, making sure to get both pieces evenly covered with several coats. Pull the masking off of the top BEFORE you place the carpet on. Before you join them together, wait a minute or two for the adhesive to tack, but not much longer. If you can, have someone help you place the carpet right where you want it, because once it goes down it's not coming off.

If you have a carpet seam roller, use it. Otherwise, just put pressure down on every bit of the carpet to work the adhesive into the carpet's porous backing.

ALSO: If the half top has any ribbing on it like the full top does, it really helps to use a gasket roller to press the carpeting onto the edges of the ribbing. You can see how I did this in my last picture.

It WILL stink like rear end for a few days inside the Jeep, so be warned. If you have a garage, let it air out at night.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Also. My uppers look sort of like those. Maybe the picture angle is throwing me off. I've not really had any leaking issues NOR the "flapping" you read about sometimes with the soft upper hard top combo.

Can you rent a carpet seam roller? I really think carpeting the inside of the hard top is the way to go.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

incredibull posted:

That looks great. I've been thinking about doing the Hurculiner to the inside of my JK's top but now I'm thinking carpet is the way to go. Oooh, actually I'll have to see how much of a pain in the rear end it would be with the "t-tops" section.

Regardless, it'll have to wait til next spring when the hardtop comes back off for the season.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Yeah I've had the uppers on for a few days now and no problems. I sprayed them all over with a hose and they drained out just fine with no leaks. There's a bit of wind noise on the freeway, but they don't flutter or bow out at all like the soft uppers did, which I hated. I just think Bestop could have sprung to put some thin insulating material into between the two sheets of fabric on the bottom. I might make a small cutout of carpet from what's left of my top material and put it into that area with velcro so it's removable in the summer.

I don't know if you can rent a seam roller. I borrowed all of my dad's carpet tools to do this. You can get the gasket roller at Lowes/HD in the door/window areas, since it's usually used to put new screening into doors/windows. If you own a house you'll need it eventually any way.

quote:

I've been thinking about doing the Hurculiner to the inside of my JK's top but now I'm thinking carpet is the way to go

No, don't do it. I left the bedliner inside of my top and I wish that I had sanded it all off when I restarted on the outside. It's too rough and catches on fabric, rips apart paper towels when you try to clean it, and attracts dust. When the top comes off next summer I'm probably sanding it all down and just doing flat black.

I did find out by accident that spray on bedliner with a topcoat or two of normal spraypaint is REALLY tough, though.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 5, 2009

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Did you notice a big difference in the sound levels? I've been thinking of doing this to my Blazer for a while now.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
I haven't had my hardtop on since last april, so it's sort of hard to gauge it. The combination of the carpeting and door sliders is definitely more quiet than when I ran the hard top with soft uppers, though. I do remember what rain noise sounded like without the carpeting, and it's definitely less tinny now.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Thread needs more 4WD Utility Truck love...

More details and photos in my new project thread... http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3211626

Please go check it out. I fear I shall need your sage wisdom to make this old dog self-ambulatory again!

I've read this thread up to page 39 and so far no utility trucks...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I can't find front running lights for my 1999 Grand Cherokee anywhere. Autozone, Pepboys, nobody has them. What the gently caress.

And I don't mean they're out, I mean they don't carry them, and don't have part numbers for them. The lights catalogs don't have them listed either.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
What is a running light to you?

The side markers/parking lights are just plain ol' 194 bulbs (either clear or amber depending on your lamp housing).

If you've got daytime running lamps, it's just the low beam, which is an off-the-shelf 9006XS.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 9, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Molten Llama posted:

The side markers/parking lights are just plain ol' 194 bulbs (either clear or amber depending on your lamp housing).

Yeah, those. Sorry, I keep calling them running lights because I have boat terminology stuck in my head. I'll get some of those and try them. Maybe the parts counter monkeys were just being stupid.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Maybe the parts counter monkeys were just being stupid.

Probably. There has seemed to be a shortage of 194 bulbs lately, but that wouldn't explain them not even being able to look up the part.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sorry if this has been posted before, but Life magazine has an article on the Jeep's invention that I thought y'all might find interesting.

http://books.google.com/books?id=6k0EAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA65#v=onepage&q=&f=true

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I'm in the market for a winter beater/errand car and I came across this Comanche

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

It's a 4x4, 171K, auto trans. The seller is asking $1200 OBO, I'm was gonna offer $900, does that sound fair?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Is it a 4.0? I see a lot of 4-cyl Comanches, but they usually have a stick. That being auto I would guess it is 4.0. That is a good price if it's a driver with no major issues.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Is it a 4.0? I see a lot of 4-cyl Comanches, but they usually have a stick. That being auto I would guess it is 4.0. That is a good price if it's a driver with no major issues.

It is indeed a 4.0. I wouldn't even bother if it was the 4 cyl. He sent me a few more pictures and I don't see any rust or massive damage. My Cherokee still runs great but it's my primary vehicle and I don't want to trash it if I get careless while offroading.

323LX
Feb 17, 2004
"Thank you for taking a ride on the Infinite Sadness Express..."
Any Jeep owners in eastern/central Maryland (or the surrounding area) want to get together for some four wheelin' somewhere?? We could maybe go to Green Ridge or tag along for a ride up at Rausch Creek in PA. Or if someone knows of some private land we could use I'd be up for that also. I haven't had my Jeep out in over a year and I'm itchin' to get it muddy before all the mud freezes :).

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

323LX posted:

Any Jeep owners in eastern/central Maryland (or the surrounding area) want to get together for some four wheelin' somewhere?? We could maybe go to Green Ridge or tag along for a ride up at Rausch Creek in PA. Or if someone knows of some private land we could use I'd be up for that also. I haven't had my Jeep out in over a year and I'm itchin' to get it muddy before all the mud freezes :).

I'd be up for a ride, just need to get my longer front brake hoses installed, then I can give the new lift kit a workout.

323LX
Feb 17, 2004
"Thank you for taking a ride on the Infinite Sadness Express..."

Veeb0rg posted:

I'd be up for a ride, just need to get my longer front brake hoses installed, then I can give the new lift kit a workout.

I actually realized after I posted above that I still need to get a new spare tire before I try heading out into the woods again. Hopefully I can get this taken care of in the next month. I'm trying to get a new lift myself (going from a 2" budget lift to a 4" short arm).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So what is the consensus of the four cylinder motor? Now that I'm back in FL, I've been looking for a wrangler and it seems like most of them around here are four bangers.

Do they get good mpg compared to the 4.0? Are they just as dependable?

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
The 2.5 is built like a brick house just like the 4.0, since they're practically the same engine minus two cylinders. The 2.4, not so much, but it's not necessarily a garbage motor either. It makes power a bit higher than the 2.5, and IMO that's less valuable in a Jeep. I'd rather have a little less torque but have it down lower.

The nice thing about most manual 2.5 Wranglers is that they automatically get 4.10 gears. In later years they started dropping down to 3.73 with the 2.4, and sometimes even to 3.55 when equipped with an auto. If you're looking at a 2003 or later model with the 2.4, make sure you check the axle tags. Even in flat Florida I don't know if I'd ever want to drive a 4-cyl Jeep with 3.55s and an auto.

There are some guys on JF that get low 20s with either engine, but I take those numbers with a grain of salt.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

03's are out of my price range. I'm looking at late YJ's and early TJ's. (about 5k to 6k dollars)

I'm on the fence about YJ's.....TJ's are such a huge upgrade ride wise, this is just going to be a beach cruiser with an occasional road trip to the Keys, no off roading.

There are quite a few YJ "fixer-uppers" going pretty cheap but I'm torn whether or not just to splurge and get a TJ.

Anyone feel free to voice their opinions on YJ vs. TJ, could help me sway my decision.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

leica posted:

Anyone feel free to voice their opinions on YJ vs. TJ, could help me sway my decision.

Two words: Round headlights.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
You can find a nice 4cyl TJ for about the same price as a late model 6cyl YJ now. You might even find a few 6cyl TJs with a few miles on them in that upper 5K range. Even with a first year TJ you get all sorts of stuff you never got with a YJ: OBDII, a decent ride, a heater and defrost that actually works. Depending on your tastes, the interior is either better or worse. I like the look of the YJ dash, but ergonomically it sucks.

Otherwise, the mechanicals are almost exactly the same between the late YJ and early TJs. On a 4cyl model, it's still D35/D30 with an AX-5 or 32RH. Stuff doesn't start to change until around 2003.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah it looks like I may be leaning towards a 4cyl TJ since there are so many around here....Are there any teething issues with first year TJ's? 97 was the first year, correct?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Molten Llama posted:

If you've got daytime running lamps, it's just the low beam, which is an off-the-shelf 9006XS.

I got those at Walmart and they work great. Screw you, counter monkeys. :argh:

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

leica posted:

Yeah it looks like I may be leaning towards a 4cyl TJ since there are so many around here....Are there any teething issues with first year TJ's? 97 was the first year, correct?

I'd get a 6cyl. 4cyl's get the nearly the same mileage as 6cyls due to the motor being forced a bit more. I have a friend with a '96 YJ 4.0 and another with a '05 TJ 2.5 and they both get similar gas mileage. This is in hilly Costa Rica though, but the extra power found on the 4.0 makes it much easier to take kick it off a stop. Also if you take it to dirt rides, you'll definitely want the extra power. Wranglers are heavy cars with poor aerodynamics, so they actually need a good powerhouse to take them around.

Besides, square headlights kick more rear end and who prefers a pussy rear end dashboard to a man's dashboard?

giundy
Dec 10, 2005

Steiler Drep posted:

Besides, square headlights kick more rear end and who prefers a pussy rear end dashboard to a man's dashboard?

This is a real man's dashboard.

And round headlights are the way to go.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Steiler Drep posted:

This is in hilly Costa Rica though, but the extra power found on the 4.0 makes it much easier to take kick it off a stop.

I live in Florida, it's flat as flat could ever possibly be ever. Also see: beach cruiser. The only hills it will ever see is a drawbridge.

I'm pretty sure that's why there are a lot of 4 banger jeeps around here, they seem to do the job. I'll reserve my judgement until I drive one though.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

leica posted:

They were pretty solid from the start. Since you say you're looking for something to cruise around in, well beware that '97s don't have cruise control at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Any of you Florida area nerds hitting up JeeptoberfFest this weekend in Ocala? Info: http://www.ocalajeepclub.com/

I went last year, and despite me not having a Jeep (went with a buddy) it's Jeep'in good time. Big show (lots of really cool old Jeeps), courses setup for all types (easy/hard/extreme etc), and competitions. I am going Saturday during the show, and then lot of people camp out Saturday night.

We're supposedly doing a night run somewhere. We tried a night run last year, but no one properly scouted the sites before and it ended up being a bust. This year though, there's apparently a couple sites that are good to go for the night run. We have about 60 Jeeps in the night run convoy last year, and more expected this year.

I'll be posing as a Jeep guy with the tbaja.com folks.

Fermunky fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 13, 2009