Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

brad industry posted:

Probably my favorite thing about LR is the H/S/L tool. The ridiculous amount of control you get over your color is awesome. Especially since they added the "click and drag a color" to change it thingie (I forgot what that's called, it rules) which also works with the Curves dialog.

I know some people who refused to shoot digital because they felt the color palette of film was really important to them, and they couldn't replicate it digitally well enough until Lightroom came out because Ps takes a more heavy handed approach and Camera Raw isn't intuitive enough to make really subtle changes.

Seconded. Seeing a green that is just a bit too blue, or a red you'd like to be really red instead of slightly orangey red, LR just rocks for those kind of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toupee
Feb 6, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump

brad industry posted:

Probably my favorite thing about LR is the H/S/L tool. The ridiculous amount of control you get over your color is awesome. Especially since they added the "click and drag a color" to change it thingie (I forgot what that's called, it rules) which also works with the Curves dialog.

I know some people who refused to shoot digital because they felt the color palette of film was really important to them, and they couldn't replicate it digitally well enough until Lightroom came out because Ps takes a more heavy handed approach and Camera Raw isn't intuitive enough to make really subtle changes.

I'm probably using them "wrong", but I like using the Calibration sliders too. I tend to use those, then fine-tune with the HSL if anything else needs changed.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

All this talk makes me wish I wasn't colourblind! I miss all the subtleties of colours like that. Often I can tell when something doesn't look "right", but I can't figure out how to change it.

Anyway, I'm moving away soon and leaving my main computer at home. I have LR on both my computer and my laptop, and I've been using my main computer most of the time, so my laptop is completely blank (I don't think I've even opened Lightroom).

Is there a way of merging collections when I get back home again? I don't want to have 2 seperate collections that I can't merge together.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

All this talk makes me wish I wasn't colourblind! I miss all the subtleties of colours like that. Often I can tell when something doesn't look "right", but I can't figure out how to change it.

Anyway, I'm moving away soon and leaving my main computer at home. I have LR on both my computer and my laptop, and I've been using my main computer most of the time, so my laptop is completely blank (I don't think I've even opened Lightroom).

Is there a way of merging collections when I get back home again? I don't want to have 2 seperate collections that I can't merge together.

Try jacking saturation to max, then playing with the colors. Bad color vibrations become more obvious that way. Not sure if it will work with your color blindness, but might want to try.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Toupee posted:

I'm probably using them "wrong", but I like using the Calibration sliders too. I tend to use those, then fine-tune with the HSL if anything else needs changed.

Nah I use that a lot, it's particularly useful for getting red tones where you want them since digital sensors seem to suck at reds.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

brad industry posted:

Nah I use that a lot, it's particularly useful for getting red tones where you want them since digital sensors seem to suck at reds.

Brad, have you downloaded the 5D camera profiles from Adobe for Lightroom? They're hidden as poo poo on Adobe's page, but it basically corrects the sensor's color to be as faithful as possible. I have it set to camera faithful to load upon import. It really makes the reds look right, it's a great starting point.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
Whoa, did not know those existed.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Pretty sure the camera profiles are included in lightroom now. They are better but still not perfect. I don't notice unless there is something in the picture that you know is supposed to be a really red red color.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Stregone posted:

Pretty sure the camera profiles are included in lightroom now. They are better but still not perfect. I don't notice unless there is something in the picture that you know is supposed to be a really red red color.

Reds always, always bothered me before. Yellows too, they were always a bit too orangey and not green enough. Now I love it as a default neutral starting point. I still sometimes change the colors, but not to "fix" bad ones, just to make something more how I saw it in my mind, or to harmonize them.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

poopinmymouth posted:

Brad, have you downloaded the 5D camera profiles from Adobe for Lightroom? They're hidden as poo poo on Adobe's page, but it basically corrects the sensor's color to be as faithful as possible. I have it set to camera faithful to load upon import. It really makes the reds look right, it's a great starting point.
Link?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

notlodar posted:

Link?

Yeah, i searched for a while last night to no avail, though I'm about 90% certain it's built in anyway.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

notlodar posted:

Link?

Amazingly I found it again: http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles#Downloads_and_Installation

Some fun editing last night. This is gonna be the background of one of my next shoots. I had a 28mm which is a bit too wide, but my 35mm is way too large for my bicycle pannier and I wasn't gonna cart it the 4 hour trip.

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

Making fifteen year old girls looks like whores since 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

Amazingly I found it again: http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles#Downloads_and_Installation

Thank you for this.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003
"(updated October 22, 2008)"

They're built-in now

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Does anyone have any experience in post-processing underwater shots?

The best I could do is below.

This isn't a "hey, fix my poo poo" request but more a general "How do you get rid of..." question.

The biggest thing about underwater shooting is the blue/cyan shift and hidden murkiness. I'm wondering how to best correct the colors without getting those weird piled on highlights and how to get rid of all the drat noise.

I think what happened in these was back-scatter from the micro-bubbles. All of these were shot in a pool that had been agitated by a couple of dozen children just moments before I started shooting.

I'm also wondering if scanning from the negatives added to the noise factor.

Everything was shot on ISO400 Fuji color negative film, f11, between 1/60 and 1/250, then scanned to digital from the negative. Nikonus V, 35mm f2.8 lens, cloudless day, noon-time sun, no strobes.

And yeah, I know that getting closer is better, etc.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nikonos :)

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

brad industry posted:

My two favorite parts of lightroom (and what made 2 such an upgrade over 1)are the built in graduated nd filter and the adjustment brush. The nd filter is fantastic, and is much quicker and easier than creating a gradient mask, and I've found it to give cleaner results as well. The adjustment brush has absolutely saved some of my photos, and it is just so quick compared to photoshop!

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

evil_bunnY posted:

Nikonos :)

dammit!

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
I can't seem to find anything about this anywhere, but I have a picture (high school senior picture) that I would like to have retouched. The lady who took the picture also shopped out my acne and adjusted some levels, but I'm still not in love with it. One side of my face seems way overexposed compared to the rest of the picture. In my amateur knowledge of photography, I guess she should have used a filter of some sort when she shot it.

So can I commission somebody to do this job for me? I'm willing to let you do it for free, but I can send a (small) payment if desired. I just don't know if this belongs in SA-Mart...

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
You're willing to let someone do it for free? How very generous of you!

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Not only that, but if it's blown out, the detail's gone. If you wanted someone to try reconstruct that...well that's certainly a huge favor to ask of someone, I'll just put it that way.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
I'll have to post this picture up to Flickr tonight. Maybe somebody can give me an "estimate".

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Photography is both a business and a hobby, I think it's perfectly reasonable for him to ask for some free retouching in an art forum.

...not that I would do it...

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I've been working on a preset for Lightroom to try and match Kodachrome from the 1940s-50s.

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
I like the saturation. I think it looks a little too in-focus for vintage film though - if you're going for an exact recreation.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Have you seen kodachrome? That stuff is sharp as a tack and absolutely stunning to look at.

Nice job, Whitezombi.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

baccaruda posted:

I like the saturation. I think it looks a little too in-focus for vintage film though - if you're going for an exact recreation.

Kodachrome is amazing, here's one from 1942 that always blows my mind: http://www.shorpy.com/node/808?size=_original

Whitezombi, I recall seeing a kodachrome in one of the national archives releases or something like that of a guy on a rusted tractor and it looked almost exactly like your preset managed to make that tractor look. That's really impressive. Great work!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

I've been working on a preset for Lightroom to try and match Kodachrome from the 1940s-50s.

This is absolutely excellent, would you mind sharing the preset?

e:^ That picture is fantastic too.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Kodachrome pictures always blow my mind, they bring the past alive more than any period film ever has.

http://www.shorpy.com/4x5-large-format-kodachromes?page=1

brad industry
May 22, 2004

This is awesome.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

brad industry posted:

This is awesome.

I loving love colour images from a time you associate with black & white. It's like a whole new outlook for that time period. Somehow makes it far more "real" than a b&w slide, like it could have been taken yesterday.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
It's mind blowing how good these things look.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Thanks guys.

The 4x5s on Shorpy are what inspired me to do the preset. In fact the tractor pic diarrhea for girls mentioned is one of the photos I looked at a lot while I was creating it. It was on Shorpy but it seems it is no longer there and I cannot find it anywhere now.

These are two of my favorite images of all time.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/115
http://www.shorpy.com/node/117

Check out the Library of Congress Flickr set - 1930s-40s in Color

I will share my presets. What I will do is post examples in this thread and figure out a way link them so you guys can download them.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
My grandfather has a whole stack of Kodachrome transparency and color slide stuff he shot in WW2 in the pacific. I'll have to see if I can talk him in to letting me scan them.

Thanks again Zombi, that is some amazing stuff.

ConspicuousEvil
Feb 29, 2004
Pillbug
Just got my dSLR a few days ago and have been playing with it and post a bit to get the hang of it. Here's a shot a took of a shop across the street from my house. I know the shot itself isn't terribly interesting, I'm just working on my post skills.

Original

First try

Second try

I didn't try to do anything with masks at this point. I don't have LR so PS is the only thing I have to work with. Any ideas?

I kinda like the sky from the first edit, but I think I went overboard on the curves in the second.

ConspicuousEvil fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 16, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I like everything about the second when compared to the first and original, but then again I like my photos to be incredibly contrasty.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
First try looks like you just boosted saturation or vibrance, which is something I used to do when I started editing shots, but now I almost always desaturate my colors. Your particular photo isn't really one that would get a benefit out of desaturation though, so I'd try it with a different shot.

Your second attempt is definitely the best. The original photo itself was underexposed to start with so bumping the contrast and the brightness helped you get some stronger lights and darks and less of the middle greyness.

I'd definitely reccomend Lightroom 2.0

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Kaluza-Klein posted:

How do I merge them together, taking the sky from the short exposures and the landscape from the long, etc.?

I made a tutorial of how I do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xDKxRdpyS0

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

fenner posted:

I made a tutorial of how I do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xDKxRdpyS0

Thank you for this. I always forget to bookmark/favourite this tutorial and never have it when I need it.

e: There are a lot of similar videos, they're all pretty much the same thing, but I can never find it when I need it, so I bookmarked yours for future reference :-).

ee: I wanna say maybe Zoowick had one? I don't know I can't remember off the top of my head and don't see it on his videos.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Shmoogy posted:

Thank you for this. I always forget to bookmark/favourite this tutorial and never have it when I need it.

I only just made it, i guess that means someone else has already made one, my bad if they have

• Locked thread