Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm running Win7 x64 on my main laptop and I love it. However, one of my old machines which is basically a media center PC is up for reinstall. It's only 2GHz Pentium M w/1.5GB DDR. Should I reinstall XP Pro SP3 or go for Win7 x86? Surely XP will run faster than Win7 and obviously there aren't any apps that require Win7 right now, but can anyone foresee a reason why an HTPC would be better off with Win7 despite the lackluster hardware?

I recently put Win7 x86 on my family's computer and it runs better than it did before with XP. It's an AthlonXP 3000+ at 1.8GHz with 1GB of RAM, and only onboard graphics so no Aero.

Granted it may've been bogged down with useless poo poo that was running before.

It just seems pretty much universally agreed on that on all but the oldest of hardware setups, Win7 is all-round as fast, if not faster than, XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAMN IT
Apr 29, 2008

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

What's the cheapest way to get a copy of Windows 7? I missed my free copy at the MS developers conference in Boston due to traffic, but want to get a copy without paying $200. Suggestions?

Employees of retail stores that sell Windows 7 are eligible to get a copy of 7 Ultimate for $10 after completing some training courses at the Microsoft ExpertZone website. If you know anyone who works at one of these stores, you could try bribing them with $20 or a 6-pack or something to let you take the courses (takes an hour to do them all) and snag their copy. It will have to be under the pretense that they are doing it themselves (MS will ask for a copy of a paystub to verify employment).

DAMN IT fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 10, 2009

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
I checked out the Steam hardware survey and noticed that 10% of Steam users are already running Windows 7. (Click Windows version in the table.) That's pretty amazing.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Black Tracky Dacks posted:

I recently put Win7 x86 on my family's computer and it runs better than it did before with XP. It's an AthlonXP 3000+ at 1.8GHz with 1GB of RAM, and only onboard graphics so no Aero.

I'm currently running 7 on a 1.66GHz netbook, 1GB RAM and onboard graphics. And Aero is working fine. Try it; you might be surprised.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Oh man, I love Windows 7.

I had to switch out a motherboard, and the replacement has a different chipset. I also changed the RAM, installed a new CPU, switched from onboard video to a PCI-E one, and from onboard sound to a dedicated soundcard. Basically replaced everything but the PSU and the drives. From my experience with XP this meant reinstalling Windows.

Once I was done I figured I'd just boot Win7 once to see what it does, and color me surprised:

"What, new motherboard, new CPU, new RAM, new video card, new soundcard, new ID controller, new SATA controller, new this, new that? Alright. *installs* Ok reboot please. *reboot* Ok have fun"

:aaa:

Did I mention I love Windows 7?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Wiggly posted:

I don't think it was mentioned yet, but the RTM versions of Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC are available on Technet and MSDN.

I've just downloaded this and installed it, and all that it seems to have done is unpacked a 1gb 'virtual xp mode base.vhd' and a key and eula into C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode. There aren't any start menu entries for either XP Mode or Virtual PC (I didn't have Virtual PC before). There's also a tutorial folder in the XP mode folder, which just contains a few html files, and no tutorial.

How exactly am I supposed to make this thing work :confused:

edit: oh i see, it appears i need to install virtual pc separately - i assumed XP mode would include it as a single package

beuges fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 10, 2009

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

brc64 posted:

I recently had to recently log into the student portal at the University of Toledo to pull up my old transcripts (I attended back in 2002). I saw that I had access to some Outlook Web Access, but unfortunately it doesn't look like my email account is active anymore. :(

I'll probably just end up buying OEM since I need to build a new computer anyway.

sup rocket goons

And I'm new to the Sidebar/Gadget game, how difficult would it be to whip up a big button to Switch Users? I've got my daughter her own profile, but usually it's logged on to my profile, and I'd like an easier way for her to switch (she's accidentally shut down a couple of times aiming for the arrow in the start menu. Give her a break, she's 5.)

Murphys Stache
Oct 5, 2007

There goes my nipples again!

beuges posted:

I've just downloaded this and installed it, and all that it seems to have done is unpacked a 1gb 'virtual xp mode base.vhd' and a key and eula into C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode. There aren't any start menu entries for either XP Mode or Virtual PC (I didn't have Virtual PC before). There's also a tutorial folder in the XP mode folder, which just contains a few html files, and no tutorial.

How exactly am I supposed to make this thing work :confused:

edit: oh i see, it appears i need to install virtual pc separately - i assumed XP mode would include it as a single package

I was given a free copy of Windows 7 Professional by my school. One of the things I was really looking forward to with 7 was the XP mode. I downloaded the XP Image and the virtual machine, and frankly I'm disappointed. The only thing I really like about the XP mode is the supposed ability to run software installed under XP mode directly through 7 (Although I haven't done this yet. Of course this was over a month ago, and I didn't really test it out much. Maybe It's just me, but I prefer to just use virtual box for all my virtual machine needs. I might try it out again.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
You could always use the XP mode VM file in another VM, it's licensed and activated though I don't know if the EULA prohibits such things.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm running Win7 x64 on my main laptop and I love it. However, one of my old machines which is basically a media center PC is up for reinstall. It's only 2GHz Pentium M w/1.5GB DDR. Should I reinstall XP Pro SP3 or go for Win7 x86? Surely XP will run faster than Win7 and obviously there aren't any apps that require Win7 right now, but can anyone foresee a reason why an HTPC would be better off with Win7 despite the lackluster hardware?

That computer is probably as powerful as the 3ghz P4 with 1.25 GB DDR RAM I'm running 7 on now (since Pentium M is a better architecture than Pentium 4), and this computer runs 7 just fine with the ATI Radeon 9550 AGP card I have in it.

Swilo posted:

You could always use the XP mode VM file in another VM, it's licensed and activated though I don't know if the EULA prohibits such things.

I'm pretty sure the EULA just prohibits installing it as a primary OS on an actual computer.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah Pentium M is in the line that became Intel Core, so it's a bit faster than a Pentium 4. I've read a few places that compares the Pentium M @ 2.0 GHz to a Pentium 4 @ 3.0 GHz

I would run Windows 7 on the system only if it has an Aero compatible video card.

I run Windows 7 on my ThinkPad T43.

Pentium M @ 2.0 GHz
2 Gigs DDR2
Radeon X300

Windows XP seems a tad faster at loading some programs, but Windows 7 runs so smooth on it, and the hardware actually seems to work better under Windows 7 than it did under XP.

WiFi doesn't drop under heavy CPU load like under XP, my fingerprint scanner works natively under Windows 7, and of course with the DX9 card I get Aero.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xenomorph posted:

I run Windows 7 on my ThinkPad T43.

Pentium M @ 2.0 GHz
2 Gigs DDR2
Radeon X300

Windows XP seems a tad faster at loading some programs, but Windows 7 runs so smooth on it, and the hardware actually seems to work better under Windows 7 than it did under XP.

WiFi doesn't drop under heavy CPU load like under XP, my fingerprint scanner works natively under Windows 7, and of course with the DX9 card I get Aero.
I've got an X300 on this machine too so it looks like I'll take the plunge.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Dumb question but I wanted to make sure i don't spend money on something i cannot use.

I ordered the $30 home premium for my netbook, It is listed as a upgrade edition does this mean I need a previous version of windows on it before hand?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I ordered the $30 home premium for my netbook, It is listed as a upgrade edition does this mean I need a previous version of windows on it before hand?

Yes.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

PoapSoap posted:

I was given a free copy of Windows 7 Professional by my school. One of the things I was really looking forward to with 7 was the XP mode. I downloaded the XP Image and the virtual machine, and frankly I'm disappointed. The only thing I really like about the XP mode is the supposed ability to run software installed under XP mode directly through 7 (Although I haven't done this yet. Of course this was over a month ago, and I didn't really test it out much. Maybe It's just me, but I prefer to just use virtual box for all my virtual machine needs. I might try it out again.

Its not nearly as fast as say VMware workstation. Its a stop gap solution for businesses running XP/IE6 based software so microsoft can push them off that mortal coil that is XP.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

fishmech posted:

Yes.

Ok, so it would just be throw xp on and install 7 right after, sounds painless enough.

Also just to make sure I'm not retarded

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116758

This wouldn't require the preexisting OS to install.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

No it does not.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
Windows 7 trip report:

My school bookstore started selling 7 Ultimate for only $6.95 this week. I picked up a copy of x64 today, and despite the media being clearly labeled "UPGRADE ONLY" I was able to use the key to activate my months-old RTM install. Hopefully this bodes well for everyone else trying to figure out what they can and can't do with their upgrade licenses.

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

Stutes posted:

Windows 7 trip report:

My school bookstore started selling 7 Ultimate for only $6.95 this week. I picked up a copy of x64 today, and despite the media being clearly labeled "UPGRADE ONLY" I was able to use the key to activate my months-old RTM install. Hopefully this bodes well for everyone else trying to figure out what they can and can't do with their upgrade licenses.

Definately good news for me, have Ultimate Upgrade ordered and was thinking of just upgrading my Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 and just waiting for my retail key to enter it.

How did you originally do the RTM install...clean or upgrading over Vista Ultimate?

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

My local PC shop is selling copies of Vista that will allow you to download a free Windows 7 upgrade. I currently have:

Media PC - no OS
Laptop - legal copy of Win XP

Can I buy this copy of Vista and then use the downloaded upgrade version to upgrade my laptop to Windows 7?

Media PC -> no OS -> buy Vista, leave it on there
Laptop -> WinXP -> download Vista's Win7 upgrade and use it on here

Will I be able to simultaneously run the Vista version and the Win7 upgrade on separate computers?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Looks like you can get an actual windows 7 upgrade disc, so it might just be an actual 7 Upgrade. In that case you could just upgrade the XP, and it would have nothing to do with Vista.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It may violate the EULA though, depending on how it's set up.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Rukes posted:

Definately good news for me, have Ultimate Upgrade ordered and was thinking of just upgrading my Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 and just waiting for my retail key to enter it.

I would also like to do this. Can someone with the resources please investigate this?

Plain Bagels
Sep 13, 2008
Has anyone had any luck connecting a wireless 360 controller to windows 7? I've got the 1.1 drivers but the receiver won't pick up the controller and I can't find anything about this problem.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Plain Bagels posted:

Has anyone had any luck connecting a wireless 360 controller to windows 7? I've got the 1.1 drivers but the receiver won't pick up the controller and I can't find anything about this problem.

I have one running on 7 x64. Two things I can think of:

-Do you have the most current drivers from the Microsoft website?
-Is the receiver plugged directly to a USB port on the motherboard or is it in a hub? It ought to be plugged right into the motherboard.

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

Jam2 posted:

I would also like to do this. Can someone with the resources please investigate this?

I did find this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930373

So if you use a RTM ultimate and upgrade, it should be OK to use the upgrade retail key. Since we would fall under the opposite of Condition 2, I think Windows 7 makes note that it was an upgrade instead of a full, meaning only Upgrade keys work.

Plain Bagels
Sep 13, 2008

Joe Don Baker posted:

I have one running on 7 x64. Two things I can think of:

-Do you have the most current drivers from the Microsoft website?
-Is the receiver plugged directly to a USB port on the motherboard or is it in a hub? It ought to be plugged right into the motherboard.

Turns out I wasn't pressing the little tiny sync button :holy:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm about to purchase the $29.99 "Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade" from Digitalriver.com. Can I use this to go from Windows XP Home to Windows 7?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

the posted:

I'm about to purchase the $29.99 "Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade" from Digitalriver.com. Can I use this to go from Windows XP Home to Windows 7?

Yes it should work but you will have to do a clean install which is an option the 'upgrade' will give you. There is no in-place upgrade to 7 from XP.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Thanks, that's fine, I just wanted to make sure it didn't say something like "ALERT YOU NEED VISTA INSTALLED TO CONTINUE."

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

the posted:

Thanks, that's fine, I just wanted to make sure it didn't say something like "ALERT YOU NEED VISTA INSTALLED TO CONTINUE."

Well I haven't actually done it myself but all that I have read says XP upgrade key should work.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xenomorph posted:

Are you able to runs Hulu videos at full screen on yours? My machine chokes on them like a $2 whore.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Rukes posted:

I did find this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930373

So if you use a RTM ultimate and upgrade, it should be OK to use the upgrade retail key. Since we would fall under the opposite of Condition 2, I think Windows 7 makes note that it was an upgrade instead of a full, meaning only Upgrade keys work.

How can I acquire a legitimate RTM disk? I don't want a cracked copy.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

Jam2 posted:

How can I acquire a legitimate RTM disk? I don't want a cracked copy.

Many of the ISOs on those questionable sites are actually vanilla, so you can probably download those. Not sure about how legal doing that would be though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's not really legal, but not really immoral since you're still paying for a license. And unless you get some nerds super pimped out stripped down version of the ISO, it's usually just the vanilla ISO. As people have legitimate uses for them.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I'm a little confused about upgrade installations. In order to upgrade from an existing OS (even if you're doing a custom install) do you HAVE to start the install from inside your starting OS? Because I plan to upgrade from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Win7 and when I put in a 64-bit copy the setup will not run in a 32-bit OS.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Wiseblood posted:

I'm a little confused about upgrade installations. In order to upgrade from an existing OS (even if you're doing a custom install) do you HAVE to start the install from inside your starting OS? Because I plan to upgrade from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Win7 and when I put in a 64-bit copy the setup will not run in a 32-bit OS.

You'll have to boot from the installation media.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
It looks like Microsoft got rid of the off-line calendar program that was included with Vista. Is there a way to get it back?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Wiseblood posted:

No. You just have to have the old OS installed before you can use an upgrade key. If you're going from x86 to x64, it's a clean install, anyway. The 'Upgrade' language actually refers to the license. You can do an in-place upgrade of an existing Vista install using a full-retail key.

There's a semantics problem that's been running through this thread that I thought I should point out.

When Microsoft is talking about an upgrade key. They're talking solely about the license. The way they verify this license is by having an installed and activated eligible version of Windows on the target machine. The type of install depends on what's installed, not the license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
How do I edit the iso to install Professional without paying for a magiciso or ultraiso license?