Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

I found a picture of your threesome with the Ibanez in it. A 72, very tempting, but then, what I've been looking for popped up and I'm working on unloading some gear to obtain it through my gear-only-funds.

'78 actually. But yeah, thinking more about it, it just has too much mojo for me to give up.

What popped up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I don't want to jinx it until it is a solid done deal. =)

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
What are all y'all opinions on Carvin bass amps, specifically the BX500 and cabs? Anyone here played them before? The Canadian dollar is almost at parity with the US so I might order one.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Pretty sure those Jags are still CIJ/MIJ Scarf, at least the ones being sold out now for $600. I've heard rumours they might move production to Mexico in the future though (but this was hearsay on talkbass so ehhhhhh).

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Schatten posted:

I don't want to jinx it until it is a solid done deal. =)

Well... I didn't jinx it, but I didn't win it. Here it is if you wanted to know: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130335641505&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

The guy had it on RickResource.com and didn't get any bites. He lowered it and before I could get a response, he put it on the bay. I could have had it for 1300 shipped too! The prices on Ricks are coming down because people are trying to move them but the money isn't there.

Currently selling off some gear, bringing in a few more pedals... I should do a review sometime soon. Lots of different OD pedals for guitar/bass and a few nifty things inbound as well. In another year, I'll probably sell all of em. =)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Schatten posted:

Well... I didn't jinx it, but I didn't win it. Here it is if you wanted to know: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130335641505&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

The guy had it on RickResource.com and didn't get any bites. He lowered it and before I could get a response, he put it on the bay. I could have had it for 1300 shipped too! The prices on Ricks are coming down because people are trying to move them but the money isn't there.

Currently selling off some gear, bringing in a few more pedals... I should do a review sometime soon. Lots of different OD pedals for guitar/bass and a few nifty things inbound as well. In another year, I'll probably sell all of em. =)
Bummer dude; that thing is slick-lookin.

Eagerly awaiting your bass OD pedal feature. I'm looking for something to replace my Wasabi Distortion and have no idea where to start.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Tried the EHX Bass Big Muff?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I loved the AGRO with my DB750, but the form factor is a little strange.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Scarf posted:

I have this and couldn't be happier. Best thing apart from tube distortion.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

Got one of those along with a few other pedals in trade for my old iPhone. The settings are subtle, but I've mainly played the guitar through it. Big plus - the settings can either be crunchy throughout the range (typical for dist/muffs), or you can set it where there will be the bottom end of the bass range is left slightly untouched. Not like a Pog/MicroPog. If you've ever ran distortion through a bass rig, it will kill some of teh lows, but with this, it holds on quite well. I need do do sound clips and maybe some small video. In time... in time...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I've actually been really pleased w/ the distortion circuit in the Enigma:Qballs envelope filter. I'm finding that about 66% of the time I have the envelope on, I'm also using the distortion.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had a Big Muff (non-bass) for a while and I guess it never really blew me away. The sound I'm looking for may be more of an overdrive; I just went through 12 video reviews on bassfuzz.com's youtube channel and couldn't really latch on to anything.

The sort of fuzziness I was after is much like this, but I'm a little apprehensive about buying a Boss ODB-1, which I guess is what makes that bass sound like that.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Well the Bass Big Muff has a dry blend mode which has people raving.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

scuz posted:

The sort of fuzziness I was after is much like this, but I'm a little apprehensive about buying a Boss ODB-1, which I guess is what makes that bass sound like that.
Cool sound.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Schatten posted:

Cool sound.
Yeah, it's what I would call "grindy" because I'm bad at explaining in non-flowery adjectives what sort of tone I want :) I'm thinking there may be more behind that sound than just an overdrive pedal, but that may be a good place to start.

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008
So, if the wait on a Rick is two years, and they can charge whatever they want for one, how is someone who has never played one before supposed to decide they want to wait that long and spend that much? I've never seen one in a store to try out. I guess if I bought one and didn't like it I could flip it quickly enough, but the whole thing seems kind of silly. Of course, none of that stops me from wanting one.

Are they that big of a deal?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

black_mastermind posted:

So, if the wait on a Rick is two years, and they can charge whatever they want for one, how is someone who has never played one before supposed to decide they want to wait that long and spend that much? I've never seen one in a store to try out. I guess if I bought one and didn't like it I could flip it quickly enough, but the whole thing seems kind of silly. Of course, none of that stops me from wanting one.

They have a very distinctive sound and I don't remember ever hearing a bad word regarding their construction. I dunno, I think they're a little over-hyped, though.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

black_mastermind posted:

Yes, and No and maybe so.

I sold my 06 4003 about a year ago, and looking to get another one. Searching for that right one. That black on black was... it, but my funds said it wasn't. Look at craigslist, search search search and you might find a deal.

Are they that big of a deal? Yes and no. A bit of a novelty to some, and to others, a way of life. To me, not much of either. You can look on Rickresource.com - sign up, log in, and you can see the for sale section there. However, since it is a specialty site, they know what they are selling and the prices are still above 1500 for most, and above 3000 from collectors. I've seen some undesirable colors can go as low as 1100 on talkbass.

I dig the way some look, don't care for how they feel (sorta sharp edges), lightweight, don't care for how they play - awkward right hand placements (not a floating-thumb guy), skinny neck (reminds me of an old Carvin I had from the early 80's where the top nut and highest fret width are almost the same), but the classic rock sound is where its at. If you play one, don't just play it unplugged. You must plug it in with some volume. It is passive, and the bridge is... oh yea, not the best. Repairs/setups should be done by someone who knows Rics. With a dual trussrod and set necks, they can be twitchy. Heavy strings? Not advised for 4001 models. 06 and beyond, has a pull pot which can emulate the classic Chris Squier sound.

A good illustration of what you should expect to hear:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4uMSbymXpM
Hear that rumble? Hear the slight low tones, but more dirty mids in the mix? that's what it sounds like.

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008
The bass in that video sounds great. I knew it could pull that off, and the Geddy Jazz I have does that whole dirty mids thing pretty well.

The reason I really want one is Al Cisneros. He's always played one, And I like everything he's ever done. Of course, I don't know much about his particular bass- Sleep was tuned to C standard, so I imagine he was using some heavier strings. Does anyone know if his bass has anything fancy about it? I know he's now playing that awesome green metalflake one, but I am not sure if that is the black one he has had for years with a new paint job. Surely there is some crossover in here from the NMD stoner rock thread! Someone will know.

With the band I am currently in, I am also tuned C standard but I am using a Squier P/J I picked up cheap a year or two ago and put EMG's in, and it can get me a good doomy sound, but something about those Rics, it's like a forbidden fruit or something. It's expensive sort of and I can't find one anywhere and I don't even know if I'll even like it, but I want it. Not that I am complaining about the Squier, I am not much of a brand snob and it's a fine bass, but at the same time I didn't want to make any nut adjustments on something fancier.

edit: clarity

black_mastermind fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 12, 2009

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
Any reccomendations or experiance on cheapish amps? Looking for something suitable to play in a 3pc acoustic electric guitar/vocals/bass band for small gigs, I'm thinking about the orange crush 35b at the moment.
Are there any other contenders that won't drown the others out and will still be moderately portable?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I decided recently to focus on playing more fingerstyle than pick. Part of that is doing exercises to train my ringfinger up so I can eventually play properly with three fingers.

It's sore as all hell, since it doesn't have callouses yet. Having a bit of a nostalgia fit from when I first started playing. :)

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

scuz posted:

Yeah, it's what I would call "grindy" because I'm bad at explaining in non-flowery adjectives what sort of tone I want :) I'm thinking there may be more behind that sound than just an overdrive pedal, but that may be a good place to start.

Overdrive pedals are always a good place to start. You can also supplement them with something like a RAT pedal. David Wm. Sims of The Jesus Lizard uses them:

http://davidwmsims.wordpress.com/2009/01/24/rehearsals-in-nashville/

And the results are what you'd expect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW8UUKqQGO4

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Harvest Goon posted:

Overdrive pedals are always a good place to start. You can also supplement them with something like a RAT pedal. David Wm. Sims of The Jesus Lizard uses them:

http://davidwmsims.wordpress.com/2009/01/24/rehearsals-in-nashville/

And the results are what you'd expect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW8UUKqQGO4

His normal tone has more to do with that Traynor amp and not the Rat, that is only used sparingly. To get his sound easily try a Rusty Box, which is a clone of that amp.

Clint Conley of Mission of Burma has a similar tone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTR1Wk4U_zk

When I saw them last summer his setup was a Sunn 300T and Sunn 2x15 cabinet with a Boss Super Overdrive that he used sometimes, mostly on newer songs like the one linked.

ton1c
Apr 30, 2005
I bought one of these off a friend (http://www.thebasscompany.com/5stringbassguitars/ap500m.html) for about $AU400 (something less in USD), who had in turn eben given it by a friend of his who was an amazing bassist. He took out the active control and made it passive which he said gave it a nicer sound.

It has a really low action and it really easy to play, and the sound is pretty awesome - i plug it into my audio interface and run it through guitar rig. I suppose i've been neglecting it a bit, since after learning a few songs and scales i'm not sure what to do next.

I've always wanted to learn the bass, and come from a saxophone background. I've also learnt to play guitar a bit and am taking piano pretty seriously, but yeah bass is something I'm willing to put a bit of time in for the long haul.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks for pedal advice, guys. The first step in my long, long road to ultimate bass tonality is probably trading away DrChu's Wasabi Distortion pedal for something more appropriate for bass guitar. The sounds is pretty awesome, but I can't keep the low-end in there for some reason. Maybe I'm messing up the settings somewhere, I dunno.

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008
Have you considered a Fulltone Bass Drive? I got one about two years ago, and since I brought it home it is always on. Plenty of options for finding exactly what you're looking for, from a little bit of dirt to full-on grind, also a boost channel!! They are kind of pricey but it's one of those "if it was ever stolen, I would immediately replace it" boxes. I think they are starting to become a little more available lately, I think even bigger city GC stores are stocking them. Definitely check one out.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Three night run across the state starting tomorrow. Man I can't remember the last time I've done three in a row, this is going to hurt.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Break a leg Scarf, sounds like a demanding schedule, though it should be fun right?

black_mastermind posted:

Have you considered a Fulltone Bass Drive? I got one about two years ago, and since I brought it home it is always on. Plenty of options for finding exactly what you're looking for, from a little bit of dirt to full-on grind, also a boost channel!! They are kind of pricey but it's one of those "if it was ever stolen, I would immediately replace it" boxes. I think they are starting to become a little more available lately, I think even bigger city GC stores are stocking them. Definitely check one out.

My experience with my BassDrive only reinforces this. You really should try one out! In my experience, there's very little if any loss of bottom end even with the highest distortion settings. It goes well from a light overdrive to "warm up the sound" or make it sound a bit fuller, to a fierce distorted grind.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Good luck, Scarf! Livin' the dream! OH YEAH

I've been going back over the bassfuzz.com youtube channel and found this little guy: Barber Dirty Bomb. It sounds way awesome and it's only $100, which is pretty much the most I can justify on spending on something like this :). I'll definitely check out the FullTone, but even that name suggests something like $250+ :(

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Doomy posted:

Break a leg Scarf, sounds like a demanding schedule, though it should be fun right?

Oh yeah, always. And I'm glad we're finally making the transition from being a "local" band to a "regional" band. We're up in WV at Marshall for a Halloween show and in NC next month. It'll be fun, just grueling. It's just like exercise... gotta get back into "gigging shape."

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Oh yeah, always. And I'm glad we're finally making the transition from being a "local" band to a "regional" band. We're up in WV at Marshall for a Halloween show and in NC next month. It'll be fun, just grueling. It's just like exercise... gotta get back into "gigging shape."
Ooooo, a Halloween show! Are you doing any fun dress-up poo poo?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

Ooooo, a Halloween show! Are you doing any fun dress-up poo poo?

Well me personally, I'm going to be Alan from The Hangover:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's a pretty impressive beard to aspire to! Also a very pretty man-purse.

Okay, I put DrChu's distortion puddle in the Gear Trades thread; hopefully someone will bite.

Awesome; nobody's made a "Distortion Puddle" pedal. I'm doin' it.

Edit: Has anyone attempted Bruzzido's mod on their Avatar B212? http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1397777 Looks like fun. I already HATE the tweeter they have in that box, so replacing it with a midrange driver sounds like it would be very beneficial.

scuz fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 13, 2009

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
i've been looking for that dirty jesus lizard tone since i started playing; is it really an 'amp thing'? or could i get a similar effect through cheaper purchases of strings/pick ups/pedals?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

STINKFACE posted:

i've been looking for that dirty jesus lizard tone since i started playing; is it really an 'amp thing'? or could i get a similar effect through cheaper purchases of strings/pick ups/pedals?

Well what are you using now?

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
hand-me-down fender jazz that's been unaltered since i got it (more or less exactly this http://chambersguitars.net/main/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/787fca15ab9ea6c9027e1eac5f33a42c.jpg), acoustic b20 combo, and i've got a big muff pi. i posted earlier about buying a new amp (which i have yet to do) so i still have about $400 to throw around.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
It's a pretty standard overdriven tube-amp tone to my ears. I'd say look into a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal. Pretty loving awesome tube emulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr8kdWpB3U4

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
well i'm sold from a 45 seconds youtube! that sounds perfect, thanks scarf

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

STINKFACE posted:

well i'm sold from a 45 seconds youtube! that sounds perfect, thanks scarf

It's a little bit different setting it up with an amplifier rather than direct into a soundcard like that guy does. But I have one and absolutely love it. It really warms up your sound and flat out sounds like a drat Ampeg SVT.

I'm more than happy to give you some guidance in setting it up if/when you get it so let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

It's a pretty standard overdriven tube-amp tone to my ears. I'd say look into a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal. Pretty loving awesome tube emulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr8kdWpB3U4
I'm not really an effects guy, but would putting an overdrive before the VT pedal make sense as long as you're not dialing in too much grit on the OD pedal?

The VT pedal sound awesome, by the way. If you're going for that tone, Stinkface, that's the pedal to get. Edit: nevermind, you're sold already :)