Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Slim Pickens posted:

The foot clutch is part of it. It's hard to be as precise with your foot, so you hit a bump and you accidentally dump the clutch. It's all the way out at 5 mph, so it doesn't take too much slipping, but it's still pretty ridiculous compared to more powerful bikes, of course. Other than that, shifting a motorcycle with your hand is one of the coolest feelings in the world, as impractical as it may be.

I went to a motorbike rememberence ride on saturday, and the guy who rode in behind me was on a 1941 Indian with hand operated tank shifter and suicide clutch. Definitely impressed with his skill at maneuvering the bike in the slow traffic as we exited the park. Did feel somewhat sorry for him when we hit the dual carrigeway and he was bombling along at 40mph.

On the other hand, 6000 motorbike engines is a brilliant brilliant noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

sirbeefalot posted:

Yikes, did it fall all the way off the stand? :ohdear:

Not quite, dropped it while lifting the stand up. It's good practice for the Husky though, it needs to get mentally prepared for the 5 to 6 crashes it sees every weekend.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Put a set of Shinko 712s on my bike to replace the cracked Dunlops. We'll see how they are. Seem to get pretty decent reviews for a cheap tire. $95 shipped for both tires, hard to beat that.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Scraped my first peg. :smug:

...actually it made me poo poo my pants a little. Was riding around Palos Verdes with a buddy, and on the very first turn heading south on Palos Verdes Dr. E, I heard the sound of metal on asphalt halfway through the turn. Picked the bike up a little, moved off the seat a little more, and continued on my merry way.

And then we went to look at a busted rear end FZ1 with a cracked and bent subframe in the back, that apparently has been consuming gas tank bolts. My friend politely declined, and suggested the guy part it out instead.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 12, 2009

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Went for a quick ride this weekend in between rain storms. What was supposed to be a 30 minute or so ride to keep fluids moving and keep carbs from gunking up turned into 2 hours of complete zen. I was feeling like the bike and I were one so I hit up a local twisty road and carved it up for a bit.

There's nothing quite like the feeling of thinking your way through a corner and the bike just does it; a close second is taking a corner at twice the speed you used to think was "fast". I received some humble pie from a nice gentleman wearing full leathers on his R1 as he passed me on the outside of a really long downhill right hander like I was sitting still. Up to that point I thought I was Ben Spies or some poo poo. :blush:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

frozenphil posted:

Went for a quick ride this weekend in between rain storms. What was supposed to be a 30 minute or so ride to keep fluids moving and keep carbs from gunking up turned into 2 hours of complete zen. I was feeling like the bike and I were one so I hit up a local twisty road and carved it up for a bit.

There's nothing quite like the feeling of thinking your way through a corner and the bike just does it; a close second is taking a corner at twice the speed you used to think was "fast". I received some humble pie from a nice gentleman wearing full leathers on his R1 as he passed me on the outside of a really long downhill right hander like I was sitting still. Up to that point I thought I was Ben Spies or some poo poo. :blush:

Wait until your first trackday. I remember that I thought I was hot poo poo on my first or second day, blasting along, thinking "Goddamn, I am hauling me some rear end right now!", only to be passed on the outside by a control rider with one hand off the bars so that he could point out to me exactly how far off the line I was :xd:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

frozenphil posted:

I received some humble pie from a nice gentleman wearing full leathers on his R1 as he passed me on the outside of a really long downhill right hander like I was sitting still. Up to that point I thought I was Ben Spies or some poo poo. :blush:

Try having a step father to ride with all the time who has been riding for 30 years. I eat that pie every couple of weeks. drat guy has a 1979 Goldwing and pushes it around like its a supermoto. Now he has a 78' XS1100 so I can't even catch him in the straights if he doesn't want me to. Also its got some bad seals and he's figured out he can cover me in oil smoke if he goes WOT suddenly.

8ender fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 12, 2009

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Headed down to my parents' place on Saturday for Thanksgiving, and after getting stuck in traffic in town for almost 30 minutes after leaving the gas station, said "gently caress it" and went on 400-series highways for the first time (427 and 401). Got a bit chilly but I was making up for lost time. Headed back home today on the same route, made it back in 1:20; definitely need to take the winter boots if it's under 10C, hands were a bit chilly, but everything else was good for the most part.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

8ender posted:

Also its got some bad seals and he's figured out he can cover me in oil smoke if he goes WOT suddenly.

That is absolutely hilarious. I mean not for you and all, but yeah. :)

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Chris Knight posted:

Headed down to my parents' place on Saturday for Thanksgiving, and after getting stuck in traffic in town for almost 30 minutes after leaving the gas station, said "gently caress it" and went on 400-series highways for the first time (427 and 401). Got a bit chilly but I was making up for lost time. Headed back home today on the same route, made it back in 1:20; definitely need to take the winter boots if it's under 10C, hands were a bit chilly, but everything else was good for the most part.

Excuse my :fsmug: but what are 400 series highways and where is Thanksgiving in October?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Canananananada

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

OrangeFurious posted:

Excuse my :fsmug: but what are 400 series highways and where is Thanksgiving in October?
Basically like Interstates.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I cracked the front brake reservoir, and snapped off it's mount during a low side yesterday. I repaired it in about 15 minutes with rtv, electrical tape, zip ties, saftey wire, and a liberal application of hope.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Zool posted:

I cracked the front brake reservoir, and snapped off it's mount during a low side yesterday. I repaired it in about 15 minutes with rtv, electrical tape, zip ties, saftey wire, and a liberal application of hope.

In an emergency, as long as the remaining tubing pointed up, I wouldn't have a problem with just running a capped tube filled with brake fluid. :haw:

I already do it on the rear brake on my trackbike.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I did this -
http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=135697

and I now have almost 2 ft of extra pipe sitting on my workbench since that was the smallest loose size they'd let me buy.

It took me longer to cut the damned 10mm section of pipe than it took to do the entire installation. After a slight cable adjustment and a quick run around the block, I like it - it's a heck of a lot easier on the wrist to accelerate hard, that's for sure. The return spring does pull a lot harder, but I expected that. Time will tell if it's pulling hard enough to be a nuisance, but I don't think it will.

Raven457 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 13, 2009

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Raven457 posted:

I did this -
http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=135697

and I now have almost 2 ft of extra pipe sitting on my workbench since that was the smallest loose size they'd let me buy.

It took me longer to cut the damned 10mm section of pipe than it took to do the entire installation. After a slight cable adjustment and a quick run around the block, I like it - it's a heck of a lot easier on the wrist to accelerate hard, that's for sure. The return spring does pull a lot harder, but I expected that. Time will tell if it's pulling hard enough to be a nuisance, but I don't think it will.

Could you post the pic they have attached? Don't feel like registering.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
poo poo, sorry about that... updated the post with this pic

If you need other pics I can take my throttle apart sometime tomorrow, but that's pretty much all there is to see.

soggywaffles
Mar 18, 2009
It technically was not today, but I recently put one of these on:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

It's kind of silly, and I'm on the fence about whether to keep it. Looks tacky, almost never gets used, and can change the throttle feel even when not in use.

Also over the weekend I put the pillion pad and sissy bar back on. Bled the front brake since it was getting mushy and the fluid looked like the urine of someone stabbed in the kidney. Night and day difference but seemed to get a little worse again after only about a hundred miles so I may completely flush it soon.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soggywaffles posted:

It technically was not today, but I recently put one of these on:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

It's kind of silly, and I'm on the fence about whether to keep it. Looks tacky, almost never gets used, and can change the throttle feel even when not in use.

Also over the weekend I put the pillion pad and sissy bar back on. Bled the front brake since it was getting mushy and the fluid looked like the urine of someone stabbed in the kidney. Night and day difference but seemed to get a little worse again after only about a hundred miles so I may completely flush it soon.

No possibility of rotating it all the way downwards? I've got a few of those floating around waiting to be installed on my bikes. 3 weeks until I move to a place with a garage again :woop:

soggywaffles
Mar 18, 2009

Z3n posted:

No possibility of rotating it all the way downwards? I've got a few of those floating around waiting to be installed on my bikes. 3 weeks until I move to a place with a garage again :woop:

Unfortunately not, at least on my bike. The clamp that goes between the switch housing and brake doesn't fit between the bar and throttle cables when rotated all the way down. I had to put it that high up to not interfere with the kill switch. So it's a little awkward. But at least I can shake out my arm or reach something I can't with my left arm without losing speed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soggywaffles posted:

Unfortunately not, at least on my bike. The clamp that goes between the switch housing and brake doesn't fit between the bar and throttle cables when rotated all the way down. I had to put it that high up to not interfere with the kill switch. So it's a little awkward. But at least I can shake out my arm or reach something I can't with my left arm without losing speed.

Ahh, I see. Did you cut out or shave down the grip at all? I was planning on doing that when I installed mine.

soggywaffles
Mar 18, 2009

Z3n posted:

Ahh, I see. Did you cut out or shave down the grip at all?

Nope. Just had to nudge the brake a little further down the bar. I did have to cut the rubber spacer to fit the collar over my grip though. With a thinner grip you wouldn't even have to do that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soggywaffles posted:

Nope. Just had to nudge the brake a little further down the bar. I did have to cut the rubber spacer to fit the collar over my grip though. With a thinner grip you wouldn't even have to do that.

I was just wondering cause you mentioned you could feel it even with it off. I'd imagine that if you shaved down the throttle grip a little you could probably adjust it to fix that. Most of the ones I've seen installed have ended up being between the kill switch and the starter...I'll have to look closely at mine when I get around to installing it :)

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I dropped it while turning really slowly slipping on some wet leaves. Broke the clutch lever, had to get a new one for 10€ but now I had my first fall at 5 mph instead of 50 so totally worth it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Once again added a little oil to the XL250R, and also finally put a new plug in it. I had to hunt for drat near a week to find a super-narrow-wall socket to fit in between the head casting walls. I ended up using a lawnmower spark plug wrench and "modifying" it with some pliers to make it not slip on the plug. Everywhere I looked wanted $20+ for the OEM-style socket, but I got away with under $3 from Tractor Supply!

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Okay so I'm kinda up poo poo creek here.

I started pulling my Nighthawk apart a few months ago because it was at that magic period where every maintenece interval was coming up at once. I figured I'd get it all done at once and be done with it.

Not until I was halfway through pulling apart the carbs did I realize that ALL OF MY FASTENERS ARE ROTTED. Now this shouldn't be a big deal right?

My bike is a 1982 CB750SC Nighthawk, the first and last year of that particular model for about a decade.

I cannot for the life of me find a fastener kit for my carbs. I tried asking one guy on ebay that did kits for other DOHC CB750s but he never got back to me.

Short of buying a bucket'o'fasteners what are my options here? I haven't ridden in several months now and the itch is becoming unbearable.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Gr3y posted:

Okay so I'm kinda up poo poo creek here.

I started pulling my Nighthawk apart a few months ago because it was at that magic period where every maintenece interval was coming up at once. I figured I'd get it all done at once and be done with it.

Not until I was halfway through pulling apart the carbs did I realize that ALL OF MY FASTENERS ARE ROTTED. Now this shouldn't be a big deal right?

My bike is a 1982 CB750SC Nighthawk, the first and last year of that particular model for about a decade.

I cannot for the life of me find a fastener kit for my carbs. I tried asking one guy on ebay that did kits for other DOHC CB750s but he never got back to me.

Short of buying a bucket'o'fasteners what are my options here? I haven't ridden in several months now and the itch is becoming unbearable.

It looks like your bike runs a Keihin vb42a. I didn't find a lot on it but found this thread: http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=79251

At the bottom, someone mentions http://z1enterprises.com as a place where they'd gotten float needles and gaskets. Might be a place to try.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Scrapez posted:

It looks like your bike runs a Keihin vb42a. I didn't find a lot on it but found this thread: http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=79251

At the bottom, someone mentions http://z1enterprises.com as a place where they'd gotten float needles and gaskets. Might be a place to try.

Those sound like the right carbs. I've been to that site before (which is where I found that the engine in my machine is an orphan, different code from every other 750 that year) but I just shot off an email seeing if they'll either whip up a kit for me or give a list of what I need to buy from them to make it happen on my own.

Why, oh why! can I not readily find parts for a bizarre edition of a bike that Honda built for one year?

Now off to old bike barn to go over microfiece of my machine. Yay.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Gr3y posted:

Why, oh why! can I not readily find parts for a bizarre edition of a bike that Honda built for one year?

'82 CB650SC owner here. I feel your pain. :glomp:

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Bucephalus posted:

'82 CB650SC owner here. I feel your pain. :glomp:

Ever try to find an M7 cap/acorn nut? It doesn't loving exist. Not even Honda sells their goddamn moon fasteners anymore for 1982 Goldwings.

For those of you who didn't experience the Bay Area's recent storm I'll describe it thusly: when I got home from work yesterday, I dumped about 60 gallons of water off the brand new (and thus watertight) tarp covering 3 of my bikes. Then today I started all of them to make sure they were dried out.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
My friend took his bike into the garage to get new tyres put on. His old front one was some crappy chinese one with a really old tread pattern. Still had life in it, but it would never get warm, and after 'it slipped' on a roundabout, he's been really wary of it over the past week.

I reckon it's all mental, but since 99% of bike riding is in your head, and the tyres need replacing anyway, I let him go ahead and get them done, hopefully he'll regain his confidence again.

The rear was a 2 or 3 year old BT45 that actually shows signs of cracking, so both were done.

I got a text at work saying that the garage had told him he needed new chain, sprocket and fork seals. That sounded familiar, seeing as my bike failed the MOT for those not 6 months ago. £300 for the garage to do it, but my friend says the internet says it can be done by us for under £200.

I need to get him an account here. My bike's really not having enough drama.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Grabbed my rocker covers, rocker boxes etc as well as my cam cover and primary cover. Powdercoaters tomorrow.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Orange Someone posted:

My friend took his bike into the garage to get new tyres put on. His old front one was some crappy chinese one with a really old tread pattern. Still had life in it, but it would never get warm, and after 'it slipped' on a roundabout, he's been really wary of it over the past week.

I reckon it's all mental, but since 99% of bike riding is in your head, and the tyres need replacing anyway, I let him go ahead and get them done, hopefully he'll regain his confidence again.

The rear was a 2 or 3 year old BT45 that actually shows signs of cracking, so both were done.

I got a text at work saying that the garage had told him he needed new chain, sprocket and fork seals. That sounded familiar, seeing as my bike failed the MOT for those not 6 months ago. £300 for the garage to do it, but my friend says the internet says it can be done by us for under £200.

I need to get him an account here. My bike's really not having enough drama.

Actually, an old tire can still look fine but be utterly toasted from heat cycles or just age.

Check out the tire thread if you want to read more on tires/aging/etc.

As to my bikes...today they got pushed around in the storage unit in prep for moving to a new place with a 2 car garage! :woop:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I sold the motherfucker. Got less than I was asking, and quite a bit less than it was worth, but at least that anxiety is gone. Praise Jesus.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

As to my bikes...today they got pushed around in the storage unit in prep for moving to a new place with a 2 car garage! :woop:

Jealous. It only rained for 2 days straight down here and I'm already tired of dealing with a wet cover.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I put gas in it

...after I pushed it for 8 blocks. :(

Thankfully, it was pretty flat and the bike doesn't weigh that much. Not sure what's up with my reserve as it appears not to work.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Scrapez posted:

I put gas in it

...after I pushed it for 8 blocks. :(

Thankfully, it was pretty flat and the bike doesn't weigh that much. Not sure what's up with my reserve as it appears not to work.

8 blocks is crazy. I pushed mine in the pouring rain for 3 blocks, ATGATT, soaking wet. Both legs felt like concrete when I got there. Pretty much had to run it, traffic was pretty bad. I still remember the water shooting up out of my boot ankles those first few steps...it was crazy! Thank god I haven't had to do that in a few months...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

Jealous. It only rained for 2 days straight down here and I'm already tired of dealing with a wet cover.

Well you can always come up if you want to work on your bike in a garage :)

Can't do much about the rain, but it's southern california, so we've got our 2 days for the year and it's back to summer.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

Well you can always come up if you want to work on your bike in a garage :)

Can't do much about the rain, but it's southern california, so we've got our 2 days for the year and it's back to summer.

Is California heaven?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

UserNotFound posted:

8 blocks is crazy. I pushed mine in the pouring rain for 3 blocks, ATGATT, soaking wet. Both legs felt like concrete when I got there. Pretty much had to run it, traffic was pretty bad. I still remember the water shooting up out of my boot ankles those first few steps...it was crazy! Thank god I haven't had to do that in a few months...

That sucks. I feel lucky mine wasn't worse then. Luckily, I felt it cutting out, switched it to reserve and it still was cutting out so I pulled into this business on a corner. The driveway was right there thankfully since I was on a fairly busy street.

There was an alley running behind the business for about 5 of the 8 blocks so I didn't have to worry about getting flattened. I was pretty well drenched with sweat by the time I got to the gas station. I was thankful that it was 44 degrees today.