Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hey guys,what do you think of this one:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/cto/1416628874.html

Would this have the 2.5 or 2.4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
The 2.5 ran until 2002, though the 2.4 has a bit more torque/HP. Looks good for a '97.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the Comanche seller has dropped his asking price to $1000. Now I'm thinking offering $750-800. I don't want to lowball the guy but the mileage is pretty high and there's a few spots of rust forming on the read wheel wells. Thoughts?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So the Comanche seller has dropped his asking price to $1000. Now I'm thinking offering $750-800. I don't want to lowball the guy but the mileage is pretty high and there's a few spots of rust forming on the read wheel wells. Thoughts?

Do it. I'm bias as hell though since I had to have my sister talk me out of calling about one on Craigslist this weekend.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

323LX posted:

Any Jeep owners in eastern/central Maryland (or the surrounding area) want to get together for some four wheelin' somewhere??

I could be if there is a reasonably easy way through (stock WJ). Green Ridge might be ok.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

sanchez posted:

I could be if there is a reasonably easy way through (stock WJ). Green Ridge might be ok.

even rausch creek green trails would be ok for you. My stock XJ made it on the green trails just fine. I'd rather a trip to green ridge as I've not been yet.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 14, 2009

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
I ripped off one of my roof rain gutter moldings on the trail last weekend. I cant find the things anywhere online. Is my best bet to just go to a junkyard?

It looks like there's small metal clips and some type of adhesive that holds them on. If i do find a replacement, what type of glue should I use to reattach the molding?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm going to cross-post this in the other offroad thread too, just to kickstart that one.

I've been doing a lot of wheeling in the late summer/early fall, and haven't had much time to post about it, so I'll throw up some pics.

Ghetto bush bar:

Davis lake Camping

West Harrison/Sunrise Lake/Chehalis Lake adventure day
Dad's Unlimited Rubicon w/ 3.25" lift, and 33x12.5 firestones on 15" Cragars
My white XJ, and my good friend Randy's 6" lift Toyota w/ 33" Trxus M/T tires

Eagle Ridge/Cypress Lake

Poser shot just after the lift and wheels. Was thinking of sending this to Rough country

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Anyone have experience doing the Blen Dor or Heater Treater blend door fixes on a WJ? I checked my codes and my blend doors are definitely toast (not to mention the heat is messed up). Luckily the re-circ door is fine. I'm leaning towards the Blen Dor just because it maintains the dual control zones on my Limited, and doesn't require installation of a second motor. Anyone have an opinion on one over the other?

PS: I'm talking about the through the glove box fixes - I'm not going to rip apart the whole dash for this.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

jonathan posted:

What lift did you make and what size tires/wheels are those? I'm getting an '88 cherokee soon and am really considering making a lift. Did you lose fuel economy? If so how much?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Looks like a 6.5" Rough Country lift and Cragar series 397 rims (Soft 8's), although there's several rim mfg's that make the exact same style, just like the 342 series.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Steiler Drep posted:

What lift did you make and what size tires/wheels are those? I'm getting an '88 cherokee soon and am really considering making a lift. Did you lose fuel economy? If so how much?

Rough Country 6.5" lift, Rubicon Express control arm drop brackets, tossed out rear swaybar. Quick disconnect front swaybar (these come with the lift kit)

17" Cragar Soft 8 wheels ($69 each from summit, $39 each for the 15" version)

255/75/17 BFG mud terrains (free from my dad's Jeep Rubicon)

I'll be regearing, adding aussie lockers and putting 33.5x11.5" Treadwright remolds on soon. http://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/product/tabid/61/productid/52/sename/285-70r17-guard-dog-m-t-d.aspx

But first I'm adding front recovery points, bellypan underneith and rock sliders.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

jonathan posted:

wheelin

I'm jealous of your family. Nobody in my family wheels and I can't find anybody to wheel with who isn't a slack jawed redneck.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

incredibull posted:

I'm jealous of your family. Nobody in my family wheels and I can't find anybody to wheel with who isn't a slack jawed redneck.

You're in WA, yeah? I'd be happy to hit some trails once I get my Cherokee built up (just waiting on my company's building to sell so I can go hog wild with my severance) and I'm about as far as you can get from being a redneck.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

incredibull posted:

Refer to post above mine, OR, relocate to Western Canada. We have more outdoor areas than we know what to do with. BC is literally a giant outdoor playground with large cool cities full of nice people spread around. And some drug/gang violence thrown in. And our rednecks arent like stereotype american rednecks.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
That'd be great, but don't build it up too much - I'd want to be able to keep up. Right now my Jeep has a 2" BB on 30s and I have an Explorer with a 3" and 31s. Either is more than enough to get me where I want to go, but I couldn't keep up with jonathan there.

A little over five years ago I used to go out to ORV parks alone and would generally always find someone to tag along with, but then the parks started getting infested with bros and their toys. These guys would get pissed if you started following them, and they sure as hell wouldn't bother to help. They also rutted the gently caress out of all my favorite trails with their 38" DICK CEPEKZZZ.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

incredibull posted:

They also rutted the gently caress out of all my favorite trails with their 38" DICK CEPEKZZZ.

I'm of the mind Tread Lightly should start providing baseball bats for "on-the-trail training."

There's land all over Arizona that's closed, restricted, or destroyed because of assholes like that. Drives me nuts. The last time I hit one of my favorite places, part of the trail was rutted several inches deep because some jackass(es?) decided to drive where they had no business to.

Sierra Club's already been eyeballing that whole area, too. :argh:

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

You'd be surprised what even a stock Wrangler can do. One time at Evans Creek a group of us ran into a guy in the staging area who had just bought one used. He didn't know a whole lot about off-roading so we let him tag along after showing him how to disconnect his swaybar and he proceeded to follow us on the 311 and 197 trails. It couldn't have been on anything bigger than 30's and we were all impressed on how well it kept up with all of our rigs, consisting of guys with up to 35" tires, 6.5" lifts and lockers. It got high centered on the belly pan a few times but we'd just rock it back and forth until it was free again. The guy and his buddy had a blast. Fortunately Evans Creek has very tight trails for the most part, so it keeps out guys with full size trucks and their half-bald 38" Super Swampers.

http://homepage.mac.com/jgreening/offroading/PhotoAlbum125.html (It was the grey one.)

Tahuya and Naches are fairly tame, the latter being a pretty fun trip due to the scenery. I go to Evans Creek most of the time because it's the closest, but enjoy Elbe and Reiter as well for their technical aspects. We should be fortunate that we have some private parks up here in the PNW because there's places all over back east that are getting shut down. Enthusiasts need to start demanding for compensated OHV land if their states want to shut down the public lands for environmental reasons but we're not going to be able to ask for much if people can't be more proactive in treading lightly.

I think just about everyone that I know who is into off-roading I met on the trails or on a forum, so I've been pretty lucky in that regard.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 16, 2009

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Evans Creek scares the crap out of me by reputation alone. I don't like expensive noises.

Naches is a fun trail. However the lower portion on the westside can be treacherous in the rain. The upper portions are a nice scenic drive and not technical at all.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

jonathan posted:

Sunrise Lake V-notch?

Great to see some local 4x4 action, I love that W. Harrison area.

Watch out for the Sasquatch though!

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!
(Phillip J Fry wheeling in the PNW)

I'm very jealous, it looks like beautiful country up there. I'm in northern Michigan, and the closest we get to a "beautiful vista" is the occasional hill that's slightly higher than the surrounding land, and it takes 10 minutes to climb. Everything else is dense forest and mud: "I'm stuck, OK, I'm free, drat, stuck again..." Lather, rinse, repeat. Maybe it's the club I'm with, or maybe it's the only thing available.

And yes, a stock TJ can do quite a bit. The first year I was wheeling it, my attitude was "I don't know what it can do until I find something it can't do." immediately followed by "Holy ****, I made it!" With just some minor upgrades, it can do quite a bit more.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
It lives!!!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3211626&pagenumber=2#post367158464

Videos to happen today.

Hoist one for the old man back on the road under his own power!

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Braincloud posted:

Evans Creek scares the crap out of me by reputation alone. I don't like expensive noises.

Naches is a fun trail. However the lower portion on the westside can be treacherous in the rain. The upper portions are a nice scenic drive and not technical at all.

The only damage I've ever incurred at Evans was a bent u-bolt (sprung under-YJ) end that I caught on a rock hidden in the dirt while coming down a hill. If you can even call that damage; I just trimmed the excess off when I got home. Then again I seem to lack that MUSTMASHSKINNYPEDAL metality when it comes to most situations as I always try to pick a good line (kind of had to with open 3.07 diffs). The liabilities at Evans seem to be when it's very muddy/snowy on the tight trails with camber that wants to push you into trees sideways.

I've only been on Naches in the driest of conditions and don't recall anything that couldn't be done in 2WD with a little finesse. I'd love to tackle it in the mud sometime.

nubie7357 posted:

I'm very jealous, it looks like beautiful country up there. I'm in northern Michigan, and the closest we get to a "beautiful vista" is the occasional hill that's slightly higher than the surrounding land, and it takes 10 minutes to climb. Everything else is dense forest and mud: "I'm stuck, OK, I'm free, drat, stuck again..." Lather, rinse, repeat. Maybe it's the club I'm with, or maybe it's the only thing available.

Both WA and OR are fantastic because there's so much variety in the terrain. On the west side of the Cascades there's beaches, hills, meadows and forests whereas on the east side it's very scrubby and rocky. There's always something for everyone year-round.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm planning on going to Spring Valley tomorrow to take a look at this Jeep, but from what I've seen on other sales, this looks like a pretty good deal. I talked to the guy today and he's willing to show this to me tomorrow, my question is does this look like a good price, and if so what could be wrong with it and what should I be looking out for if I test drive it? http://rockford.craigslist.org/cto/1424997290.html

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doc Spratley posted:

Sunrise Lake V-notch?

Yup. The small dent in the rocker under the rear door happened on the way up. I's amazing how easy the v-rock looks in pictures and movies, until you see it in person, and realize you could have a 4000" lift and still have problems getting up. Until your dad with factory lockers just crawls up while sipping his coffee.

For those of you unfamiliar with Sunrise lake, it's a picture perfect lake with really cool campsites, but it has a special obstacle this filters out the general public: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnqaCyEn0rQ (not me, just one of many random vids)

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Doc Spratley posted:

Sunrise Lake V-notch?

:eek:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
FYI, everyone with an XJ, fix your cracked exhaust manifold!

After welding mine up, and replacing my injectors with DIY-cleaned Lincoln Towncar 19# ones with new o-rings, I got 21mpg while pulling a flatdeck with 800 pounds on mountanious terrain. I was getting 17-18 before, empty.

Totally worth it.

Oh, and this is what it looked like after my weekend of hunting:

Click here for the full 1504x1000 image.

Just for comparison on how far it's come - as I don't know if anyone remembered when I bought it - this is what it looked like 2 years ago:

The only real thing I regret doing is taking the fender flares off and trimming. Really wasn't needed, and I miss my flares & fender liners. Oh well..

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

MrZig posted:

FYI, everyone with an XJ, fix your cracked exhaust manifold!

Or anyone with a 4.0, really. They are notorious for cracking even before 50k miles. There was some class action lawsuit that tried to get going a few years ago that I signed but never heard any result from. I'm probably just going to replace mine with a Borla one of these days.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

160k and still intact! Do I win a prize?

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
The last few years (I'm not sure which ones) used a new exhaust manifold that holds up much better. My parents' '94 GC's cracked at like 140k or so and they replaced it with one of the new ones.

I still can't do better than 19 or so on the highway, though I would if I slowed down below 70 probably.

What year is your XJ? the "original" shot looks exactly like mine (a 2000) only mine isn't covered in rust yet. Why the lighter blue paint?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Molten Llama posted:

I'm of the mind Tread Lightly should start providing baseball bats for "on-the-trail training."

There's land all over Arizona that's closed, restricted, or destroyed because of assholes like that. Drives me nuts. The last time I hit one of my favorite places, part of the trail was rutted several inches deep because some jackass(es?) decided to drive where they had no business to.

Sierra Club's already been eyeballing that whole area, too. :argh:

Yes, this is why it's important to form up with local 4x4 groups and work with the BLM or Parks Service officials in your area to organize trail cleanup and maintenance events. Get them on your side and it's easier to stop Sierra Club's efforts to shut down access to public land.

They'll start with vehicles first, then they'll go after horses and bikes, an then no access at all.

Of all the trash clean ups , bush clearing, and forest fire recovery runs I've been on, I've seen actually zero sierra club members actually out in the field doing anything.

Well except for Earth Day, they get bused out from the city and plant a few trees and go home.

:smug: Wow.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Philip J Fry posted:

Tahuya

I live 30 minutes from Tahuya and used to wheel the hell out of that place in my stock to stockish Bronco IIs. The guys in fullsize trucks and rails have completely torn it up in the last few years. Every hill has ruts at least 2" deep, and the tight trails that used to be challenging and fun are no more, since they all just ran over the trees and underbrush to make their own bypasses. There didn't used to be ANY bypasses.

And the last time I tried going in the mud pit, it was full of drunk locals partying, and they had blocked the entrance off with a couple of trucks to keep any one else from entering.

This is why I'm saying that rednecks really ruined wheeling for me, along with everything else that their culture has touched.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

fordham posted:

The last few years (I'm not sure which ones) used a new exhaust manifold that holds up much better. My parents' '94 GC's cracked at like 140k or so and they replaced it with one of the new ones.

I still can't do better than 19 or so on the highway, though I would if I slowed down below 70 probably.

What year is your XJ? the "original" shot looks exactly like mine (a 2000) only mine isn't covered in rust yet. Why the lighter blue paint?

I cruise around 100 KPH (62 mph) so that might help. The XJ is a 1989 with the 4.0, AX15 manual tranny, 3.07's and 235/75/R15 tires. I went with lighter blue paint because I didn't care for the dark blue, plus it was all cracked and peeling everywhere. It's just a Tremclad/Rustoleum paint job. Nothing special, but it got rid of the huge rust spots and made it look a little better.

I don't know if a better skiing vehicle exists, though. God I love that thing.

MrZig fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 21, 2009

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

MrZig posted:

I cruise around 100 KPH (62 mph) so that might help. The XJ is a 1989 with the 4.0, AX15 manual tranny, 3.07's and 235/75/R15 tires. I went with lighter blue paint because I didn't care for the dark blue, plus it was all cracked and peeling everywhere. It's just a Tremclad/Rustoleum paint job. Nothing special, but it got rid of the huge rust spots and made it look a little better.

I don't know if a better skiing vehicle exists, though. God I love that thing.

I should probably try slowing down a bit, but I'm always in a hurry :derp:

It's been mentioned a bit here and there, but I'd like to get some specific opinions:
What's the future of Jeep? Will they ever again have a platform like the Cherokees and Wranglers we drive (and love)? Or will they keep making em cheaper and crappier?

I look at poo poo like the Compass and Patriot and just hang my head in shame that the Jeep label was even put on them.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003

fordham posted:

I should probably try slowing down a bit, but I'm always in a hurry :derp:

It's been mentioned a bit here and there, but I'd like to get some specific opinions:
What's the future of Jeep? Will they ever again have a platform like the Cherokees and Wranglers we drive (and love)? Or will they keep making em cheaper and crappier?

I look at poo poo like the Compass and Patriot and just hang my head in shame that the Jeep label was even put on them.

I agree on the compass and the patriot. the '02-07 liberty was pretty under-rated IMO, its no wrangler but it isn't half bad in its own right.

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

One of the downsides of being special is that you feel out of place wherever you go.
Pillbug

Dacheat posted:

I agree on the compass and the patriot. the '02-07 liberty was pretty under-rated IMO, its no wrangler but it isn't half bad in its own right.

I was always partial to the built-in lightbar on the Liberty Renegade, but not much else. It looks like I'm not the only one to think so either: http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/jeep/0904_4wd_2007_jeep_wrangler/photo_05.html

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

How's radiator replacement on an XJ for someone who's never done it before? I have a Haynes but of course the loving thing only has details for the 4 banger and the V8. I hate this manual.

My XJ's rad is leaking and apparently it's a small enough leak that heat closes it up (ie, it'll only begin to leak once the truck's cold) but since I had overheating issues all summer long I don't want to plug the crack, I want to just get a brand new radiator and fix the problem properly.

w1ntermute
Jan 6, 2005
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

Wamsutta posted:

How's radiator replacement on an XJ for someone who's never done it before? I have a Haynes but of course the loving thing only has details for the 4 banger and the V8. I hate this manual.

My XJ's rad is leaking and apparently it's a small enough leak that heat closes it up (ie, it'll only begin to leak once the truck's cold) but since I had overheating issues all summer long I don't want to plug the crack, I want to just get a brand new radiator and fix the problem properly.

Its not difficult at all. You have to remove several bolts from the metal brace that your hood latches to, disconnect all of your hoses (including the transmission cooler if you have one) and the fans. It basically just sits on some posts.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Wamsutta posted:

Funnily enough, I'm replacing mine right now. I'm actually just painting the top metal bracket since it's all ugly, and after it's dry I'm going to put it back on. New rad is already in.

It took me less than an hour to replace the thermostat & rad. Pretty easy, as w1ntermute said, you just remove the two hoses, undo a few bolts and it pops right out. Ofcourse I have a manual transmission and no A/C so it might be a little different for you.

The hardest thing is probably going to be filling mine back up and making sure it's bled of all air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni
hey all,

I've been looking at picking up an xj or zj and have been doing some mpg research.

Many owners seem to indicate that the 6 gets the same mpg numbers in both the xj and zj. I also keep reading posts that indicate the 5.2l will get essentially the same numbers as the 4l in the zj.

If that is the case, I would probably lean towards the 8 if I went for a zj, just wanted to know if anyone else has first hand experience with mpg numbers on xj6 vs zj6 and 4l vs 5.2l zjs?

Doc Spratley fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 25, 2009