Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

I'm not really an effects guy, but would putting an overdrive before the VT pedal make sense as long as you're not dialing in too much grit on the OD pedal?

The VT pedal sound awesome, by the way. If you're going for that tone, Stinkface, that's the pedal to get.

Considering the VT has it's own drive... what would be the point? But yeah, since it's essentially an amp-emulator/modeler, you'd probably want it at the end of your chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Considering the VT has it's own drive... what would be the point? But yeah, since it's essentially an amp-emulator/modeler, you'd probably want it at the end of your chain.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Nevermind :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought. Nevermind :)

I guess if you wanted to use the VT as just a fat, clean, warm tube tone (which is primarily what I use it for, set to breakup only if I play super hard), then yeah, you could use your other overdrive as kind of a "channel" selection. The most important part would be making sure you have unity gain between the two pedals. Otherwise the hotter signal from your overdrive would then push the VT's drive higher as well.

Of course it might be cool to kind of cascade one into the other and see what happens...

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
while there's a meeting of the minds going on here i might as well ask; decent pc audio interface? i'm planning on milking my parents for one when i head home for christmas. nothing too extravagant because i've just hit the one year mark and i'd feel like a tool splurging on a top-of-the-line system to record my pavement covers. keep in mind i'm technologically challenged so you might need to spell out for me anything necessary that won't come in the box.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

STINKFACE posted:

while there's a meeting of the minds going on here i might as well ask; decent pc audio interface? i'm planning on milking my parents for one when i head home for christmas. nothing too extravagant because i've just hit the one year mark and i'd feel like a tool splurging on a top-of-the-line system to record my pavement covers. keep in mind i'm technologically challenged so you might need to spell out for me anything necessary that won't come in the box.

I'm kind of in the market for one myself. I've got a friend with a Presonus Firebox and he seems quite happy. And M-Audio is pretty standard as well. As for what model/version, not sure...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

STINKFACE posted:

My favorite, quick-and-dirty solution is the M-Audio Mobile Pre. It's pretty basic stuff, but it's compact and easy to use.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
In the market as well. Pondering a Line 6 KB37 Studio.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo. For $500 this looks awesome.

Edit: I am not sponsored by M-Audio. :downs: For most of this stuff, don't forget to purchase a studio-quality DI box. I can't think of any off the top of my head :(

Also don't forget this thread!

scuz fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 13, 2009

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
bookmarked the presonus and m-audio links, they both seem great (especially the size, i'm cramped in a little corner).

scarf/scuz - you guys have any links to your material? you're all over this thread with great advice and i'd love to hear what you play

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

STINKFACE posted:

bookmarked the presonus and m-audio links, they both seem great (especially the size, i'm cramped in a little corner).

scarf/scuz - you guys have any links to your material? you're all over this thread with great advice and i'd love to hear what you play

My old band that's on indefinite hiatus is here: http://www.kingsofthieves.com
New band I'm in is at http://www.concretejumpsuit.com but no recordings of me on the tracks yet... Just their old bassist/singer who is now their new guitarist/singer since he's a much better guitarist.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

STINKFACE posted:

:3: I'm flattered! Scarf is without question a better bass player than I, but my last band has some recordings (saved in .flac) here. I really liked that band, and I'm starting a new thing with one of the guitarists. It's punk, punk, and punk.

The recording method on my bass (pretty prominent in Happy Hours) is my bass -> GK 400RBIII -> board (the GK has a direct-out).

Edit: The files naming scheme I chose on the files is completely rear end-backwards, sorry about that.

Also at the time of those recordings I wasn't near the bassist that I am today and am a little ashamed of how simple my lines were. Live and learn!

scuz fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 13, 2009

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
scarf - very nice. hopefully you get some more recordings on the road with the new act, the live tracks are killer.

scuz - ha, i love this poo poo. in a weird way i've found my musical sensibilities have done a 360 (got into music in a big way through the clash in middle school -> developed an indie infatuation -> found out i like the drone more than the melody with slowdive/mbv -> just give me big black and shut up!). i never thought i'd fall back into a punk mindset but i just can't help wanting to sound as dirty and ugly as possible :shobon:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

STINKFACE posted:

scuz - ha, i love this poo poo. in a weird way i've found my musical sensibilities have done a 360 (got into music in a big way through the clash in middle school -> developed an indie infatuation -> found out i like the drone more than the melody with slowdive/mbv -> just give me big black and shut up!). i never thought i'd fall back into a punk mindset but i just can't help wanting to sound as dirty and ugly as possible :shobon:
Same here! My cousin made me a tape of Dookie when I was like 9 and I played it until the tape machine ate it. Then I was all about jazz, then metal, then noiserock (which I still love), and then out of nowhere I decided to join a punk band v:shobon:v

The guy singing Home of the Street Sweepers and Mr. Hyde is the guy I'm doing the new band with. He's a really talented guy and has material for years; I'm really excited!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

STINKFACE posted:

scarf - very nice. hopefully you get some more recordings on the road with the new act, the live tracks are killer.

Yeah, I was never happy with the mix of the studio stuff. Our harmonica player took it upon himself to do the mixing... With headphones... And home entertainment speakers...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Yeah, I was never happy with the mix of the studio stuff. Our harmonica player took it upon himself to do the mixing...
Aww, an ambitious harmonica player...

quote:

With headphones... And home entertainment speakers...
:psypop:

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

Aww, an ambitious harmonica player...
:psypop:

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

In his mind there was no difference between studio monitors (which our singer had) and his home entertainment 5.1 system and a set of headphones. Also, he was deaf in one ear.

Also, the bass in that first live track "Life in a Bottle" is a good example of the VT Bass in action with some overdrive. There's a bass breakdown @ about 2:17 that still makes me cream my jeans to this day.

edit: Oh, and the VT was also used for the studio stuff as well, straight into the board. Although the only one where I felt like it was mixed halfway decently was on "It Never Happened"

Scarf fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 13, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

In his mind there was no difference between studio monitors (which our singer had) and his home entertainment 5.1 system and a set of headphones. Also, he was deaf in one ear.
Pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb haaaaaaahahahahahahahaaaahahahahaha!

Seriously: what was he thinking? You guys should have taken everything and re-mixed it without telling him.

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 13, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
That was the plan but then things kind of broke down anyway. The singer and I still plan to do so, just so we can have those tracks in our "resume." I'm trying to find some studio/session work so if you know anyone w/ a studio that needs a bassist... Have bass, will travel.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hell yeah; I'd relocate anywhere if someone told me they'd pay me to play bass full-time. Nothing in Minneapolis, though :(

DrChu
May 14, 2002

STINKFACE posted:

i've been looking for that dirty jesus lizard tone since i started playing; is it really an 'amp thing'? or could i get a similar effect through cheaper purchases of strings/pick ups/pedals?

Besides the VT Bass you could try a Rusty Box like I mentioned above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TNtuJnJ9Zg

emonkey
Jun 30, 2007
Ok I have a very n00bish question... I am primarily a guitar player and a friends band wants me to play bass for a show since they lost their normal bass player. I have a crappy p-bass copy already that would suffice.

However they tune in drop-b (metal band) and most of the 5-string sets I see go to around .130-.145 for the lowest b string and none of the 4 string sets go this low. If I just bought a 5-string set and threw the heaviest 4 strings on would that snap my bass neck?

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

emonkey posted:

However they tune in drop-b (metal band) and most of the 5-string sets I see go to around .130-.145 for the lowest b string and none of the 4 string sets go this low. If I just bought a 5-string set and threw the heaviest 4 strings on would that snap my bass neck?

Stringing your bass for a lower tuning will almost always put LESS pressure on your neck.

Just don't put on a heavier set and then tune back up to standard.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

emonkey posted:

There's nothing to worry about if you put the four heaviest strings on. I used the heaviest four from a five string set of D'addario Chromes (132-100-80-65-45) on my P-bass to tune down to C-Standard. As far as tension goes, they feel somewhat looser than a set of 105-45s flats in E.

You're going to need a new nut and setup for these heavier strings, that much is for certain.

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

dancehall posted:

Stringing your bass for a lower tuning will almost always put LESS pressure on your neck.

Just don't put on a heavier set and then tune back up to standard.

This is very true on both counts. Smaller gauge strings have to be much, much tighter to produce the correct pitch. This results in huge amounts of addition force pulling the neck.

Also, as Doomy said, you're going to need a nut with wider grooves. You'll have to get that nut custom cut to fit. You will NOT be able to string heavier otherwise. If you don't change the nut, it cause lots of string slippage and tuning issues, if the nut doesn't just crack outright.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

emonkey posted:

You can also get a hipshot d-tuner. I have one on a bass and it works very well. But it does get a little flappy at times. With some grunge overdrive, that is cleaned up in a live setting. Watch out on heavier strings and set it up correctly. I have parts from a bass neck when I wanted that heavier, thicker sound. =(

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
p.s. - picked up an MTD Grendel today. Gotta clean it up and get it set up correctly with new strings. Otherwise, a very lightweight bass. I probably will not keep it for too long unless it starts to sing to me.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
If I were to purchase a Tech 21 Sansamp VT pedal and put it in front of my Genz Benz shuttle 6, how would I EQ things on the head? Just have everything set at noon and then alter everything through the pedal?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Cathab posted:

If I were to purchase a Tech 21 Sansamp VT pedal and put it in front of my Genz Benz shuttle 6, how would I EQ things on the head? Just have everything set at noon and then alter everything through the pedal?

You can. I actually leave my EQ adjusted to where I had it before I got the VT. Granted I don't really do any dramatic boosts or anything except on the highs, and even then it's gradual along the graphic eq.

Short answer, try it both ways and see which you like better.

VT alone sounds like an SVT
VT combined with your amp's settings sounds like... maybe something really cool you don't even know about.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Scuz did you ever sell that 3-pro?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Scuz did you ever sell that 3-pro?
Yup, sorry dude :( It may be for the better that you didn't buy it since it seems to have developed a problem with the new guy. I never had any issues with it, but he sent me an email yesterday about how it's getting really buzzy in the highs and he's losing sound every once in a while. I think it's because he's messing with the tube gain knob without realizing how it works. I'm not too concerned about it since he got it for $350, which I think is a considerably awesome deal, even if he needs to take it into the shop for ~$100.

On the bright side, I'm loving my 800RB :3:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

Yup, sorry dude :( It may be for the better that you didn't buy it since it seems to have developed a problem with the new guy. I never had any issues with it, but he sent me an email yesterday about how it's getting really buzzy in the highs and he's losing sound every once in a while. I think it's because he's messing with the tube gain knob without realizing how it works. I'm not too concerned about it since he got it for $350, which I think is a considerably awesome deal, even if he needs to take it into the shop for ~$100.

On the bright side, I'm loving my 800RB :3:

Oh I wasn't looking to buy, just curious. All my money is being saved up for a 2-pro... I'm only about $1700 away :(

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Oh I wasn't looking to buy, just curious. All my money is being saved up for a 2-pro... I'm only about $1700 away :(
drat, best of luck! That's one hell of an amp. A bassist buddy of mine got one and hooked it up to his 810 and 215 and holy loving poo poo that thing is loud.

I can't afford to have expensive taste in gear, and I'm really bad at saving money. All I want is a 410 and a 210 to hook up to my 800RB and I'm all set :3:

scuz fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 14, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I can't afford it either... but I like what I like.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

I can't afford it either... but I like what I like.
Yeah :) And since you're in a touring band now (:neckbeard:), the cost is completely justifiable! Hell, you can maybe write it off as a business expense.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

Yeah :) And since you're in a touring band now (:neckbeard:), the cost is completely justifiable! Hell, you can maybe write it off as a business expense.

Ha, I wish. Not quite pulling enough to where I can call this a real source of income ;)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Ha, I wish. Not quite pulling enough to where I can call this a real source of income ;)
Ain't that the truth :smithicide: Oh well, I'm not playing music to make money; that is a fool's errand!

Okay, so I've all of a sudden become very interested in the SWR golight series. SWR wasn't even on my gear radar until I saw John Paul Jones using them in Them Crooked Vultures and thought I'd give them a looky-loo. Any SWR users in this here thread? Sell me on these things, dammit :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I've played through a couple and always found them to sound pretty sterile and kind of underpowered. I'm sure others have had different experiences though.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

I've played through a couple and always found them to sound pretty sterile and kind of underpowered. I'm sure others have had different experiences though.
Well there's the first bad thing I've heard about them! Thank you :)

I'm looking at their 4x10's and the wee 2x10 specifically. People really like their Goliath III's but I'm not looking forward to another 100-pound cabinet. I don't think I'll ever play bass without a pick, so maybe that makes a difference?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
You ever looked any any Genz Benz stuff? I've been itching to try out one of their Shuttles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think after my self-inflicted amp drama, I'm sticking with my 800RB, because as soon as I sell it, I will want it back :). I haven't heard a single note out of of a GB cabinet, but I'll see if I can find any sound bites; Minneapolis doesn't have very many music shops :(.