Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
FINALLY have pictures of my first and hopefully not last piece of Sunn gear:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

$75 fukkin dollars for that thing. A steal as far as I'm concerned. Bought it from the nicest biker guy I'd ever met who bought it when he was in high school.

Here's an awesome goddamn macro:

Click here for the full 1200x900 image.

Also in the realm of old awesome gear:

Click here for the full 900x433 image.

It's pretty awesome, but I want my GK sound back. Someone on Craigslist said that I could get $600 for this thing? Is s/he on drugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Agreed posted:

I got Guitar Rig 4.

I'm covering it on my blog this week and probably reviewing it for Frugal to go up next Monday or the one after it. Here's something I just recorded with it, a high gain thingy.

Two patches, one for rhythm (hard left, hard right) using the Ultrasonic model; one for lead (right down the middle) using the Gratifier model. Settings are as follows:

Rhythm:

Lead:

In my experience, I definitely couldn't get tones like that from Guitar Rig 3. The clip practically mixed itself, too. Other testing has shown that they have improved the quality of the amps all around, though I'm not sure if it's because they've updated their sound engine overall or if they've gone back and modified the amps directly, or both; the big star of the show as far as I'm concerned is the new cabinet sim, which has gone from being the lamest cab sim around in GR3 to being probably the best out of any of them in GR4. I believe the upgrade price from Guitar Rig 3 is $79, and with the additional features - especially the Control Room cabinet sim that you see in the above screenshots - it's well worth the money if you use Guitar Rig 3 a lot in your studio. But people who bought Guitar Rig 3 since July, I believe, get a free upgrade, which is cool of them since they had a big sale over the summer and it'd kind of screw people if they JUST bought the thing and now have to pay to upgrade.

The added amps are all Plexi-based. Hot Plex, Jump... and one more (Cool Plex) coming in a "we're a bit late on this but we've got to push it out the door so our first patch is going to add a bunch of features we intended to be in the release" patch. The patch is going to add additional effects, too. There are new effects included with GR4 and some of them are really cool; Grain Delay will have some fans, I predict, and they've broadened the kinds of reverbs available too. I think the full feature additions of the GR4 upgrade will "hit" after that omnibus patch comes out of beta, but even in the meantime it's worth the upgrade if you're a GR3 user just because the amps and cabs sound a hell of a lot better now.

I had a spare 80 bucks so put me down as picking this up as well. My whole band commented on how much the amp sung and cut thru the mix compared to other days. I use a million modelers and custom cab ir's. I highpass and lowpass all our synths and guitars and bass. This magically added clarity to our mix. I am suprised and happy.

The Jump plexi model sounds awesome as gently caress on a jaquar bass reissue.

The new reverb units sound unreal. I got some very Grizzly bear sounding tones futzing off today.

I am using it again tonight in practice can't wait.

Also I got another project going. I got 2 jazz drummers from my university who are drum gods. One on a pearl masterworks reference. One on a yamaha DTX IV electric kit connected to ableton live with custom samples we made, and superior drums with NY Hit Factory expansion. A great guitar player with a nice stereo amp setup, with a leslie. (he like gilmour) The bass player has a warwick and a jaquar. I'm playing my ton of midi gear with ableton and singing. Then, we have a guy doing nothing but programing, mixing and making feedback loops and noise for interludes.

I have to stop my software addiction and buy some more hardware. Offing that green is great for music gear!

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 7, 2009

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

no dad im not gay! posted:

I think P-90s are without doubt the BEST pickup to have in the neck position; all the girth of a humbucker with the articulation of a single coil. What kind of amp do you hammer those through?

Yeah I love playing in the middle position. The mix of P90 and traditional Tele bridge pickup is kind of my "signature" sound.

I play through a Peavey Delta Blues 2x10 with upgraded tubes and speakers. I use the clean channel with a TS-9 for dirty sounds, Wasabi Overdrive for boost and a BBE Freq Booster for a treble boost.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Carbohydrates posted:

Aw dammit, a guy offered me his 1967 ES-330 and $2500 in cash money for my LP Jr, but then he backed out. I totally would have gone for it, too. :(

A little slow here, but that looks absolutely gorgeous.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I've acquired and traded a bit of equipment lately but haven't taken pictures of it all. Here's one bass I shipped out today and one that is coming in.

Outgoing:

Incoming:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Another guitar - found on GC's used site. They hadn't had it up long enough to attach the picture when I found it. A few typical chips, usual wear on a played RG, and it certainly plays very well. 2000 Ibanez RG550

Picked this deal up a while back. Its a MIM Fender Telecaster Blackout. Three singles and an satin neck that looks a little orange to give it an aged look. The chrome is a little darker than normal as well. I thought I'd have this for only a short period of time, but it is a keeper.

Also picked up a few months ago. Fender CIJ Jaguar. I also have this up for trade here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2447320

Pedals, I'll get around to some sort of photo op when the pedalboard isn't changing so much.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Rkelly posted:

I had a spare 80 bucks so put me down as picking this up as well. My whole band commented on how much the amp sung and cut thru the mix compared to other days. I use a million modelers and custom cab ir's. I highpass and lowpass all our synths and guitars and bass. This magically added clarity to our mix. I am suprised and happy.

The Jump plexi model sounds awesome as gently caress on a jaquar bass reissue.

The new reverb units sound unreal. I got some very Grizzly bear sounding tones futzing off today.

I am using it again tonight in practice can't wait.

Also I got another project going. I got 2 jazz drummers from my university who are drum gods. One on a pearl masterworks reference. One on a yamaha DTX IV electric kit connected to ableton live with custom samples we made, and superior drums with NY Hit Factory expansion. A great guitar player with a nice stereo amp setup, with a leslie. (he like gilmour) The bass player has a warwick and a jaquar. I'm playing my ton of midi gear with ableton and singing. Then, we have a guy doing nothing but programing, mixing and making feedback loops and noise for interludes.

I have to stop my software addiction and buy some more hardware. Offing that green is great for music gear!

Truthfully I have gone from using lots of hardware to using only software. I'm about to sell most of my pedals and keep just the very special ones that have either sentimental value or provide something truly unique that I can't get elsewhere.

I've whittled down my amp collection to three: THD Univalve which my wife paid off and got shipped our way an hour before we got married so even if it didn't sound unbelievably awesome (and it does sound unbelievably awesome, and has all of the smart features you want for the studio including a line-out AFTER the power section for its full sound direct) I'd never sell it; Fender Champ 600 RI, which is just too cool and portable and handy and classic to get rid of; and a Vox DA5 battery-powered modeler because I will always have a battery powered modeler, and this one walks on the Roland (I know, I used to have it).

Since the move, most of my pedals have remained in the box. I took the old signal chain out thinking I'd play it but truthfully I get such great results just going into my DI and using my software that I find the whole hardware mess tedious rather than inspiring.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

Also picked up a few months ago. Fender CIJ Jaguar. I also have this up for trade here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2447320

I'm kicking around in my head to offer up my '78 Ibanez P-bass for this...

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Boss Board is... surprisingly fun

Spammit
Sep 17, 2007
My new Saluda Nemesis 19" Crash just came in!

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

bisticles posted:

Boss Board is... surprisingly fun

What kind of hardware is that attaching the pedals to the board?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There are screws on the corners of the pedals, so I assume he removed those and put the screw through a bracket of some kind, and then screwed the other end to the pedal board.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

There are screws on the corners of the pedals, so I assume he removed those and put the screw through a bracket of some kind, and then screwed the other end to the pedal board.

Bike Chain. Works amazingly well- better than anything else I've ever used.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's home, I'm home :swoon:

Click here for the full 1680x962 image.

Gaht-drat I missed this amp. I took so many macros of this, so if anyone wants some sweet, sweet background fodder I'll post it.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Just finished building my first pedal. BYOC "Large Beaver", a Big Muff Pi clone.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rashomon posted:

Just finished building my first pedal. BYOC "Large Beaver", a Big Muff Pi clone.
I've always wanted to do one of these. I like your wee logo on the front :3:

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
It was fun and challenging and I have to say I'm pretty thrilled (as I had no more soldering/wiring experience than changing pickups in two guitars) that it actually works without having to dig back in and troubleshoot. And I plugged it in for a sec with my Jazzmaster and it sounds killer, too!

As to that logo -- haha. I'll probably paint it and try to put some nice looking, clean waterslide decals on it, but for now, it's Sharpie style. I think it looks okay :v:

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

I have a used MIM Fender Jazz Bass exactly like the one above on its way to me. I figured $275 shipped wouldn't be bad as entry into bass playing (once again.. used to keep my friend's Ibanez SR bass at my place back in WI for a year or two).

I'm going to be playing it through my Electric Amp head (same model Al from OM uses for his bass so I know it'll sound great) but now need to find a suitable bass cabinet to connect to it so I don't blow my guitar cabinets' speakers with it.

I'm thinking either a 2x15 or 4x10 if I can find an affordable one.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Catastrophe posted:

I have a used MIM Fender Jazz Bass exactly like the one above on its way to me. I figured $275 shipped wouldn't be bad as entry into bass playing (once again.. used to keep my friend's Ibanez SR bass at my place back in WI for a year or two).

I'm going to be playing it through my Electric Amp head (same model Al from OM uses for his bass so I know it'll sound great) but now need to find a suitable bass cabinet to connect to it so I don't blow my guitar cabinets' speakers with it.

I'm thinking either a 2x15 or 4x10 if I can find an affordable one.
4x10 would be your best best, I think. That's a 200 watt guitar head, right?

And if you can afford an Electric Amp, I THINK you can afford an Avatar. They even come in green! :aaa:

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

scuz posted:

4x10 would be your best best, I think. That's a 200 watt guitar head, right?

And if you can afford an Electric Amp, I THINK you can afford an Avatar. They even come in green! :aaa:

Nah, I got the 120W EL34 version. I got the amp when money was flowing in a lot faster than it is right now so being frugal here is of the utmost importance. A new Avatar would be great but some used cabinet from the 80s would be better.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Catastrophe posted:

Nah, I got the 120W EL34 version. I got the amp when money was flowing in a lot faster than it is right now so being frugal here is of the utmost importance. A new Avatar would be great but some used cabinet from the 80s would be better.
Makes sense :) Check out the talkbass.com classifieds section like every day; there's usually something cheap.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I picked this up at the Goodwill a few days ago, just couldn't find my camera until now.
I hooked it up and messed around with it a bit, and everything works.
I paid $30 for it, couldn't really find a straight price googling around on what it should be.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
its worth about 30$ id say, maybe. i wouldnt have paid more than like 15-20 for it.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

ESP EC-256.

Plays pretty well for £350. Thinking about putting in some Seymour Duncan Alcino Pro II's for a Slash-like upgrade.

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?
Just spent about £1373 on a new bass amp and cab.

Ampeg SVT 5 PRO, Custom made brand new Barefaced vintage 2x15 with Tweeter.

I feel so poor!

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

One of my bands played its final show last night and I ended up with this in the back of my truck on the way home.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

I don't even play guitar! :v:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

What kind of tone do you get from the cat?

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Loud and bassy.

The other one, I'd like to call a 'piccolo' cat, is quite squeaky. She's not allowed on top cuz she'll just knead it constantly, but it's leaving the apartment in a few hours anyway. The cab, not the cat.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Had a couple of stands made for my two Korg Electribe:

Only room for one more model 1 Electribe on that IKEA shelf now, do I make it the fun ER1 or the much more rare (and maybe more useful) ES1? I want both :( Behind them is a small Behringer mixer given the same treatment.

Never under-estimate friendly ergonomics, you'll be able to work much longer. Begin with a really good chair in the right height and work from it!

(and my Kurzweil display is not blue. Wtf camera.)

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker
Blech, the next purchase for me is going to be a new nut for my jazz. They're going to have to cut a slot in the binding to replace it, too :(

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
crap. impulse buy. MTD Grendel. Early Czech model. Bart JJ's, all active. Extremely lightweight!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Mesa F-50, traded in my F-30 because I wasnt happy with the clean channel and the headroom. Love the sound from this thing, and cant wait to get it dialed in with my rig this weekend.

Also got my Wiggler back from being RMAed. :dance: Christmas in October!

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
God drat, do I want a Mark V by Mesa/Boogie so bad.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i'm selling my obnoxiously loud music man 210 sixty-five and plan to put about half of it into getting a

:3:

this thing's gonna be so great with the filter and ring mod, i'm sure i'll come up with sth for the delay, too!

also i can use the mult so the moog lpf has the same cutoff as my polysix' lpf! :xd:

i am totally psyched and happy to get rid of the music man because it's been sounding like poo poo lately, i think the tubes aren't in the best shape, and it's too drat loud for me to ever srsly need it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
http://www.audiomidi.com/Ultra-Analog-VA-1-No-Brainer-Deal-P12692.aspx

Got it while it was hot (it probably still is). $15 for a $199 softsynth? Sign me the hell up.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Yoozer posted:

http://www.audiomidi.com/Ultra-Analog-VA-1-No-Brainer-Deal-P12692.aspx

Got it while it was hot (it probably still is). $15 for a $199 softsynth? Sign me the hell up.

what an unfortunate case of URL shortening...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hubis posted:

what an unfortunate case of URL shortening...
:lol::lol::lol:
That is too awesome.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Sophomoric humor aside, any idea why the deep discount -- like is the software going to be unsupported soon? Also, would this work on a mac/inside Ableton? I might jump on that too.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i'm selling my obnoxiously loud music man 210 sixty-five and plan to put about half of it into getting a

:3:

this thing's gonna be so great with the filter and ring mod, i'm sure i'll come up with sth for the delay, too!

also i can use the mult so the moog lpf has the same cutoff as my polysix' lpf! :xd:

i am totally psyched and happy to get rid of the music man because it's been sounding like poo poo lately, i think the tubes aren't in the best shape, and it's too drat loud for me to ever srsly need it.

how much you want for the musicman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Hubis posted:

Sophomoric humor aside, any idea why the deep discount -- like is the software going to be unsupported soon? Also, would this work on a mac/inside Ableton? I might jump on that too.

applied acoustic makes analog for ableton. this synth is just the original "analog" before ableton bought it to use. i think the original has a few more features tho.