Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Ok, now I am looking at another pretty cool 2006 SV650. The previous one I almost bought got sold =[. It's got gsxr forks, shock, catalyst bodywork, gilles rearsets, and an r6 throttle. It's also got a non-op registration and slicks (was a track bike for about 8 track days, and that's it).

There are only 4500 miles or so, although the odo got hosed at 4000 when he put the gsxr forks on, and now it isn't tracking miles so well. Nonetheless, I take his word for it. He wants $4200 and is pretty firm on that price.

Is this a bit high? It seems like people are all over the place on SV pricing once mods start coming into the picture. I've seen some sweet SVs with all kinds of stuff on socalsv for under $4k (too bad they're all sold). Am I reasonable for factoring in the track-bike conversion as a devalue of the bike? I'd have to buy new tires, and put the lights and stuff back on, and also re-reg it.

Oddly, I start to rethink my SV preference once GSXR forks come into the picture, because for $4200 I can sometimes find an actual 600cc four cylinder with said forks, plus more power, and perhaps similar reliability if it hasn't been abused. Case in point, a guy selling a 2006 CBR for about $4750 with several thousand miles. I'm in California, by the way, so our prices are already inflated a bit.

Could someone elaborate on the pricing disparity between 600cc fours (R6, CBR, etc) and the SV? It's pretty obvious that there are so many 600s, and that a lot of them are run into the ground, that prices might get deflated with oversupply. And the SV is super reliable, I know, so the value will be retained a bit better, perhaps.

And that's it...

edit: he said he could go down to $4000 after I cried about having to buy street tires and re-reg it...

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
4k is too much for a bike that only has minor mods. You can pick up an ex-race bike for around the same amount with a built engine, blah blah blah, and if you're so inclined, a frame swap can get you back to street legal for a couple hundred $.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310781

If you're going to buy an modded SV, that'd be the one I'd buy, conditionally on the status of the title. If it's still a clean title, then taking it back to street legal would be installing some lights and wiring. It's got every mod known to mankind, and it'd be an absolutely killer trackbike or bike to flog in the twisties.

If you're looking for one that you can mod,
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308534

Is worth a look.

For some reason, SV prices are really inflated right now. I'm not sure what or what it is, but nicely modded SVs should be going for around 3-3.8k, and totally speced out ones should be around 3.8-4.5k or so. Built ex-race winners will push up into the 5k range.

As to if you want an I4 600 or a 650 twin, that's really more about what you want to get out of things. The SV doesn't forgive mistakes that lose you cornerspeed and doesn't allow you to pass on the throttle. The 600 will let you cheat a little with more power, but can also be a bit of a handful...I was reminded of that at Thill when I almost tossed myself off my friend's 600 due to an inadvertent wheelie off the top of T9.

The SV is fantastic for having a safe, comfortable platform to learn to carry cornerspeed on, and the 600s are great for having a good time on. But they won't force you to learn to pass midcorner, and you'll be focused more on drive out of the corners than you will on absolute cornerspeed, because that's just where it's easiest and safest to make speed on a 600.

Plus the SV is just a lot of fun. Riding it fast is rewarding and very entertaining.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
Well, I was riding to work this morning through the mess that the Bay Area turned into late last night, and right at the I-80/Highway 4 interchange my SV crapped out on me. I slowed down for a truck, then started to speed up again for the ramp, but found that I was only getting the tiniest little bit of power: full throttle in 5th was giving me about 50 mph.

I pulled off, called a tow truck, and now I'm sitting on my hands, waiting to hear back from the mechanic. I'm guessing some water got into the wiring and shorted something, or maybe one of the spark plugs went. Seemed like it was only running on one cylinder, and I can't imagine the cylinder itself seized up.

Bah. Carpooling is gonna suck.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
SVs often get water in the front cylinder spark plug. Check to see if that's what happened. People will rig up little plug guards to avoid it. Pull the part that attaches to the plug (why can't I think of it's name) and see if there's any moisture, if there is, it was grounding out there.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Pull the part that attaches to the plug (why can't I think of it's name)

Wire :v:

Zool fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 14, 2009

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

SVs often get water in the front cylinder spark plug. Check to see if that's what happened. People will rig up little plug guards to avoid it. Pull the part that attaches to the plug (why can't I think of it's name) and see if there's any moisture, if there is, it was grounding out there.

My sister's SV 650 didn't even have a part covering the hole!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

Wire :v:

Not the wire, though, the actual housing that connects the wire to the plug itself...:iiam:

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

You can also buy fender extenders to stop spray off the front wheel getting into the front cylinder spark plug, which is supposed to be the commonest cause of the plug getting wet. That plus liberally smearing the spark plug with grease solved the problem for me.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Is it a common problem on twin-plug models? I swear I was going through heavy rain for 3 hours on the highway and never skipped a beat.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Is it a common problem on twin-plug models? I swear I was going through heavy rain for 3 hours on the highway and never skipped a beat.

I don't think so. I've only heard of it happening on the single plug models. Also, if you haven't stripped off the little radiator guard at the bottom of the radiator, that helps too. A lot of people remove it, thinking it's some form of pointless fairing crap.

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Had my first trackday this past weekend, on my '01 SVS! It was at Nashville Superspeedway, on the infield road course, and it was an absolute blast. Z3N is 100% right every time he mentions trackdays being addicting; it's the most fun I've had on a bike since I started riding.

We had 8 people in our novice group, ranging from an older Ninja 250 to a brand new Ducati 1098S. The instructors were both WERA racers and were incredibly knowledgeable and friendly, and I feel like I made huge strides in my riding skill.

If anyone is considering taking their SV to a track, consider your decision made. The SV performed admirably and ran between 7 and 10k RPM all day without a single cough or complaint. I was the only stock SV rider there, but some of the expert riders had race-prepped SV's that sounded vicious.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Z3n posted:

Not the wire, though, the actual housing that connects the wire to the plug itself...:iiam:

Boot :eng101:

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
How would a stock 2nd gen SV650S compare to say, a 1990's FZR 600? Just purely curious. I have a friend who's an intermediate rider (<15k miles) and is debating between the two. Thanks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ari.gato posted:

How would a stock 2nd gen SV650S compare to say, a 1990's FZR 600? Just purely curious. I have a friend who's an intermediate rider (<15k miles) and is debating between the two. Thanks.

I'd take the SV over the FZR in a heartbeat. Better power spread, although roughly the same overall HP. The FZR is a bit heavier, harder to find parts for, and more likely to have been abused/neglected, with much older brakes, poor tire sizes, etc.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Z3n posted:

Turns out that the cylinder, radiator, and certainly the plug were all flooded. Torrential rains are a bit much for my particular bike, it seems.

Also, I learned that my chain and sprockets need replacing. Look for me soon in the "what did you do to your bike today?" thread.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

benwards posted:

Turns out that the cylinder, radiator, and certainly the plug were all flooded. Torrential rains are a bit much for my particular bike, it seems.

Also, I learned that my chain and sprockets need replacing. Look for me soon in the "what did you do to your bike today?" thread.

Ouch, best of luck man. I recently got an '03 SV650S and its good to hear about the potential of these sorts of things so I know what to be on the lookout for. Thanks.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

benwards posted:

This doesn't really make sense. It rained so hard it filled your radiator with water? And the cylinder filled up with water? How, you left it outside in the rain with the heads off?

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

I was riding through some seriously hard downpour for about 20 minutes, including sections of road that were about 2 inches deep in water. Some of the spray was coming as high as my chest. Since the radiator is basically just a big sponge, it filled full of water. Water also leaked in through the spark plug boot into the cylinder (unless I'm misinterpreting what he said to me).

Ordinarily I wouldn't have even gotten on the bike, but I had to get to work, and the carpool was not running that day. It was a mess.

I'm just glad that it was a (reasonably) cheap issue, and that it more or less resolved itself. It's also nice to learn how far I can push the operating conditions.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

This doesn't really make sense. It rained so hard it filled your radiator with water? And the cylinder filled up with water? How, you left it outside in the rain with the heads off?

I don't think he was refering to the cylinder, as in the jug that the piston moves through, as much as the cylinder that the spark plug goes down.

benwards posted:

I was riding through some seriously hard downpour for about 20 minutes, including sections of road that were about 2 inches deep in water. Some of the spray was coming as high as my chest. Since the radiator is basically just a big sponge, it filled full of water. Water also leaked in through the spark plug boot into the cylinder (unless I'm misinterpreting what he said to me).

Ordinarily I wouldn't have even gotten on the bike, but I had to get to work, and the carpool was not running that day. It was a mess.

I'm just glad that it was a (reasonably) cheap issue, and that it more or less resolved itself. It's also nice to learn how far I can push the operating conditions.

There should be a rubber plug on top of the spark plug boot, if it's not there, it needs to be replaced so that you don't have this problem in the future. I've ridden an SV through torrential downpours without an issue, so this is really a problem that can be fixed and won't leave you stranded. Replace that rubber bumper or make sure it seals correctly, and smear some grease in there to prevent it from happening in the future.

You can also rig up a little shield to prevent water from splashing in there.

The radiator isn't a big sponge and it filling with water wasn't a big deal, it's just one of those things that happens when you ride in the rain.

I've seen videos of guys riding SVs through puddles 6+ inches deep, so if you seal the front cylinder spark plug hole correctly you can ride in just about anything up until the front cylinder is completely submerged.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Would an SV 650 2004 sub frame fit an SV 1000 2005?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jack the Smack posted:

Would an SV 650 2004 sub frame fit an SV 1000 2005?
Pretty sure no.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I actually just called the dealership after my mom said "Call the dealer". They said yes, but then I asked them how they knew. They said they have a computer to cross reference it.

I guess I'll take detailed pictures of my sub frame and compared it to the one online.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

I actually just called the dealership after my mom said "Call the dealer". They said yes, but then I asked them how they knew. They said they have a computer to cross reference it.

I guess I'll take detailed pictures of my sub frame and compared it to the one online.

They don't. Different part numbers and the parts are visually physically different.

You could make it work, but it'd probably be a lot more time and effort than it's worth.

http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-motorcycle-sv650-2cs-2004/o/m6707
http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-motorcycle-sv1000s-2005/o/m9775

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

They don't. Different part numbers and the parts are visually physically different.

You could make it work, but it'd probably be a lot more time and effort than it's worth.

http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-motorcycle-sv650-2cs-2004/o/m6707
http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-motorcycle-sv1000s-2005/o/m9775

OH MY GOD I love you for giving me that site! I've been looking for a site with schematics for a while!!!!!!

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Here's a comparison:

The only thing that looks wrong is a bracket that isn't present is a bracket with 4 screws on the right side, but in this picture I don't see any bracket or anything mounted to it:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The lower members on the 1000 look to be longer, as well. The 650 might fit, but nothing will fit right, if that's the case.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Notice the longer lower assembly on one of them. That's going to be a problem.

Trust me, just buy the correct part. Otherwise you're going to have a bitch of a time fitting it on there. If you don't have the right subframe, everything else isn't going to fit right. A half an inch of bend in a subframe that's correct for the bike can make things a bitch and a half to fit and get looking decent, the wrong subframe is going to be a shitload of work.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

Notice the longer lower assembly on one of them. That's going to be a problem.

Trust me, just buy the correct part. Otherwise you're going to have a bitch of a time fitting it on there. If you don't have the right subframe, everything else isn't going to fit right. A half an inch of bend in a subframe that's correct for the bike can make things a bitch and a half to fit and get looking decent, the wrong subframe is going to be a shitload of work.

ah ok.

Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007
If they are our brothers, why can't we eat them?--12 Famous Buddha Minds School
I probably should not be tempted by this, but I am:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1422779297.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saint Melmoth posted:

I probably should not be tempted by this, but I am:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1422779297.html

It's been crashed. Not that that is the end of the world, but given the economy, he's asking quite a bit for a crashed 2003 SV1000, which weren't the most popular bikes in the best of times. I'd say closer to 3k is what it'd take for me to even be remotely interested in that. And that's with inflated CA pricing.

Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007
If they are our brothers, why can't we eat them?--12 Famous Buddha Minds School

Z3n posted:

It's been crashed. Not that that is the end of the world, but given the economy, he's asking quite a bit for a crashed 2003 SV1000, which weren't the most popular bikes in the best of times. I'd say closer to 3k is what it'd take for me to even be remotely interested in that. And that's with inflated CA pricing.

Yeah, I thought $4k was kind of optimistic too. I'm not really serious about it, but I am sorely tempted by a 1000cc 90deg twin that doesn't come with a Ducati pricetag.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saint Melmoth posted:

Yeah, I thought $4k was kind of optimistic too. I'm not really serious about it, but I am sorely tempted by a 1000cc 90deg twin that doesn't come with a Ducati pricetag.

Find an older Aprilia RSV (ok, it's 60 degrees but they're great bikes). Or a TL1000.

Superhawk is a very cheap, awesome option too, if you can handle the small gas tank. I would have bought one long ago except for the fact that 50mm (:psyduck:) carbs means that it absolutely sucks down fuel. Euro version got a bigger tank but we never got that. :argh:

I've found superhawks in ratty shape for 2k in the bay area, and once in nice shape for 2800-3200$.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Or a TL1000.

And someone who can make you a coffin on the cheap. You might save extra for only having to fit half a body in, so bargain.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

And someone who can make you a coffin on the cheap. You might save extra for only having to fit half a body in, so bargain.

If you fix that loving rear shock, they're actually very nice bikes.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I am planning to intergrate my turn signals. However on the front I'm indecisive. I was thinking of replacing the blue LED lights, in the headlight assembly, with yellow LEDs that flashed. However, the ambient blue color is really nice and I don't want to lose that. So instead I was thinking about making a relay that kept the light on, but flashed it when the turn signals came on. However that would probably not be viisble enough.

My question is: Is there a way to have two colors in the same part of the headlight assembly?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Why is the drat ABS sv650 model so unique and different? I am glad I didnt buy any loving combo chain/sprocket kits since I would have been short like 6 links. Turns out the ABS model uses a 114 link chain, not the standard 110 or whatever that the standard naked model uses. Same 15/45 sprocket combo... but I guess the rear wheel sits further back or something.

In the end I went with OE Suzuki sprockets for front and rear since they held up very well to date, and got a DID x-ring chain to finish off the package.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Parting out my Gen 1 racebike. See my post in the CA marketplace thread.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

Parting out my Gen 1 racebike. See my post in the CA marketplace thread.

PM sent

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
Nothing of real substance to ad, I just want to brag!

I picked up my very own SV650 yesterday morning.

It's a 2001 with 11,000 miles, other than a couple scuffs, it looks like a new bike. Paid $2,000.

I have been riding a 1982 Yamaha SECA for the past year, so it's a huge difference. I already love the thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

WildWanderer posted:

Nothing of real substance to ad, I just want to brag!

I picked up my very own SV650 yesterday morning.

It's a 2001 with 11,000 miles, other than a couple scuffs, it looks like a new bike. Paid $2,000.

I have been riding a 1982 Yamaha SECA for the past year, so it's a huge difference. I already love the thing!

Welcome to the club! Have you checked out SVrider.com yet? Some good info there and alot of regional groups so you can ride with other SV's. See you out there :)

• Locked thread