Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

My 2000 Sportster:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
I never did post to this thread...

1994 R1100RS, 177,770 miles when I got it for $1400. Complete maintenance records (and I mean *complete* - I put them all in a spreadsheet, and there were 280 entries)
Second owner's nephew crashed it...somehow. The plastics in the front are all bent and broken, and I recently discovered that the front (non-structural) frame is slightly bent, but the 'make it go' bits are all straight.
I bought a new gauge-cluster surround and swapped the gauges over, and managed to get the busted windshield off the fairing, and get the fairing on *almost* straight.
The bare bulb in the headlight works, and I've put a couple hundred miles on the bike, and the bug's definitely bitten me. Sadly, winter's come to Denver, and while I have gear, it's definitely fair-weather gear at this point. I am a sad panda.

As it was when I got it home.

Fairing stripped off. *NOT* a good candidate for a streetfighter (just look at that fugly tank!)

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Actually meant to go farther but was plagued by a mechanical problem I couldn't solve on the fly. Only made it maybe a mile from my house, but hey, its pretty!

Omicr0n
Sep 11, 2001

Kate

A 2004 GSX-R 1000

edit: size

Omicr0n fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 12, 2009

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Nice! Is that painted on or a vinyl wrap?

Omicr0n
Sep 11, 2001

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Nice! Is that painted on or a vinyl wrap?

Painted.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Chill_Bebop posted:

Actually meant to go farther but was plagued by a mechanical problem I couldn't solve on the fly. Only made it maybe a mile from my house, but hey, its pretty!

Hey what year is that and how is it? I was thinking of fixing up a DR650 for my next project but I have no idea how the bikes are.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

8ender posted:

Hey what year is that and how is it? I was thinking of fixing up a DR650 for my next project but I have no idea how the bikes are.

Its a '90 DR350. And the bikes are pretty great in general: This one ad most of the work done before I had gotten to it, such as aftermarket Pegs, Renthal bars, Clarke Desert Tank, Rallycross Tires, Shorter gearing, Stiffened/reworked rear suspension, and better jetting. I like the 350 for the 6 speed, but the DR650 is supposed to be a great bike as well, if kind of heavy. I think my 350 is a good cross of trail usability and longer distance. If anything I think the stock DR rear suspension is a soggy piece of poo poo.

I would take a DR650 over a KLR any day. They are really cheap most places I look.

Chill_Bebop fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 12, 2009

soggywaffles
Mar 18, 2009
Thought I'd finally chime in here...

I had a 1978 GL 1000 for most of the year. Got it for cheap, fixed it up a fair bit and sold it for at crazy stupid cheap loss to a friend. Thought I should get rid of it since i didn't need it, don't have a garage and winter is coming. And at least I have another riding buddy now!

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

And here's a picture from last year of my primary two-wheeled love, a VL800TK8:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Well here is what my 2000 CBR600 looks like now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

iroc_dis posted:

Wheelie gone wrong? I hope you're alright!

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

iroc_dis posted:

drat did someone rear end you? Don't leave us hanging.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

iroc_dis posted:

Did it involve that crashed gsx-r in the background?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

too much yut and not enough ugh!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

:master:

Man that GSXR is effed to. You (and your pals?) really know how to mess a bike up.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Edit//

Oops. Go here

iroc_dis fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 14, 2009

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

iroc_dis posted:

Sorry for that less than detailed post. I tried to find a "Hay I crashed my bike" megathread and couldn't find one.

Crash Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091384

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

cmorrow001 posted:

Did it involve that crashed gsx-r in the background?

Spiffness posted:

:master:

Man that GSXR is effed to. You (and your pals?) really know how to mess a bike up.

Hahaha

Jack the Smack posted:

drat did someone rear end you? Don't leave us hanging.

I win.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Jack, what has happened to you...being right and reasonable and poo poo. :(

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Bought a new bike

2004 GS500f bought it 2 weeks ago, 15k miles, fairings and engine are clean as hell and bikes never been dropped from what the owner told me and I believed it. 1800$ It basicly needs a new front tire, and a light bulb for the tach and another bulb for the turn signal indicator on the instrument panel. Working on removing the dumb stickers.

It's my first bike and i'm practicing on it with my permit and i'm loving it, good power, especially after about 6k rpms, easy and forgiving handling from what i've experienced and comfortable, and most of all FUN.

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005
Last weekend I upgraded from this:

To this :D

It's really nice to finally have room for my legs and I've been bouncing around with happiness for days. Going from 250cc to 750cc is so much fun. God I love that bike.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 24, 2020

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Mechanism Eight posted:

Unless the exhausts have changed for the late models that looks like it's had the baffle cut. How's it sound?

Yeah the previous owner said he'd had some of the exhaust bits removed, not sure what he meant exactly but he just said it's a bit louder than stock, which is fine by me, the sound it makes is deep below 5k rpm and about 6 it is more of a screamer.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.
Finally got my bike back from the repairers where I kinda rode into the side of a mountain, I'll post in the crash reports thread.

Iphone picture of my 2004 GS500

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
New toy time. A 1982 GS650E. Needs new intake boots/boot o-rings, some small cracks in the side covers fixed, and sometime soon, a new chain. The bike came with an extra seat, a new battery, fairly new tires, and spare brake pads.

Yes, that is "THE" piggy.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Nerobro posted:

New toy time. A 1982 GS650E.

hahah, dear god man, how many GSes does that make for you now? Looks pretty clean though, nice find =)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

huplescat posted:

Last weekend I upgraded from this - to this
Red to black is always an upgrade...

er...what are they?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

er...what are they?

Ninja 250 to VFR 750 :)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Raven457 posted:

hahah, dear god man, how many GSes does that make for you now? Looks pretty clean though, nice find =)

I own six... Four need to be sold.

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

Z3n posted:

Jabs posted:

er...what are they?
Ninja 250 to VFR 750 :)

Haha yes, sorry :) The old Ninjas are just called GPX250's here, but same thing, just no Ninja sticker.

The VFR had a lie down in the driveway the other day. I am not happy, but at least the damage is as minimal as it could have been considering it was on concrete. Big scrape of paint gone from behind the right indicator and a crack in the fairing below the headlight that's barely visable. It took 3 of us to lift the drat thing up again.

Moral of the story is don't drop loving heavy bikes :( I'll get it fixed up professionally after I've owned it for a few months and am past the likely to drop it again phase. Until then it's dodgy touch up paint and a bit of superglue to stop the crack getting worse.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

huplescat posted:

Moral of the story is don't drop loving heavy bikes :(
i dropped an old ninja 900 in the bed of my truck when i was unloading it and christ it took me like 30 minutes to get it upright again. if it had fallen off the ramp while backing it out it probably would have killed me. i don't see how crotch rockets have any business being that heavy.

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

i dropped an old ninja 900 in the bed of my truck when i was unloading it and christ it took me like 30 minutes to get it upright again. if it had fallen off the ramp while backing it out it probably would have killed me. i don't see how crotch rockets have any business being that heavy.

Youch, that would have been a bitch.

I had no problem picking up the 250 when I dropped it and regularly pick up my 110cc work bike (it has crash bars, who cares if it falls over) but I don't think I'll ever be able to lift the 750 even with a good technique. It's just too top heavy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

huplescat posted:

I don't think I'll ever be able to lift the 750 even with a good technique. It's just too top heavy.

Tada
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjYweKeiLk

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeah, pretty sure you could pick up a bike made out of pure led with that tecnique... leverage, etc.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

soy posted:

yeah, pretty sure you could pick up a bike made out of pure led with that tecnique... leverage, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Er4FFEQ8I And you thought you were exaggerating!

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

UserNotFound posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Er4FFEQ8I And you thought you were exaggerating!

Yeeer and did you see exactly how far that thing fell? I could see myself being able to do what he did simply because half the work is already done since it's resting half way up. It's that initial lift that's the heaviest and hardest.

As for the first video, it helps that he's on ground where it won't roll much and I don't think I could have my hand on the handle bar and rack both at once as it's quite long, plus the rack probably isn't made for that kind of weight on it. And he's clearly had practise, something I don't and can't get because there's no way I'm putting my bike down on any surface just to practise picking it up.

I'm a girl, bikes are heavy :colbert: The girl in the first video couldn't do it either. I rest my case.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

huplescat posted:

Yeeer and did you see exactly how far that thing fell? I could see myself being able to do what he did simply because half the work is already done since it's resting half way up. It's that initial lift that's the heaviest and hardest.

As for the first video, it helps that he's on ground where it won't roll much and I don't think I could have my hand on the handle bar and rack both at once as it's quite long, plus the rack probably isn't made for that kind of weight on it. And he's clearly had practise, something I don't and can't get because there's no way I'm putting my bike down on any surface just to practise picking it up.

I'm a girl, bikes are heavy :colbert: The girl in the first video couldn't do it either. I rest my case.

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/pickup.html and http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html

Note: You may want to consider your location before you google for "Skirt lift BMW". :sigh:

It's more than possible for you to lift just about any bike as long as you use the correct technique. Remember that you're not dead lifting 500+ pounds, you're just tipping it back upright.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

huplescat posted:

Hmm, I didn't get that far into the video before posting it.

But, still, remember that technique and don't try lifting it with your back like your fist instinct would be. Plus, adrenaline helps a lot.

I don't think he mentioned it, but if the bike falls on the right side, hold the front brake with your left hand. Either side it falls on, try to put the bike in gear if you can. This keeps the bike from rolling while you are lifting it.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

huplescat posted:

He explained that, though.

Simply lie, spread-eagled by the side of the road with your eyes closed, and some guy will stop and help you. :banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
I have the the Dakar version of that bike, which is a quite a bit taller, and I've picked it up easily on a couple of occasions using that technique. I'm 130 lbs, so being a girl should be no excuse(kill me).