Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Does %AD mean anything in PHP or ASCI or something ?

For a webapp I'm working on, people can create a newsletter to send out and I have a list of "champs de fusion" which I don't quite know the english word for, but is basically a dynamic word that will be replaced by the database. An example :

Hello %NAME%, you live in %CITY%...

If I send that out, the words between % are swapped out for the corresponding word in the database, for each person. It works great.

Only one doesn't work, and that's %ADRESSE% (this is in french), the mail comes with the word RESSE% instead of it's value. Almost like it chokes on converts the %AD part.

Anyone have an idea why ? All the other words go through fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Standish
May 21, 2001

quote:

Anyone have an idea why ? All the other words go through fine.
"AD" is a valid hexadecimal number while "CI" and "NA" aren't, so I'm guessing something somewhere is calling urldecode() on your text (or you're failing to call urlencode() on it in the first place and it's getting automatically decoded into $_REQUEST).

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

That must be it, with all the AJAX and passing through POST and saving into the database the body of the mail goes through a bunch of encoding / decoding functions. I'll look into it.

Edit: Thanks, I seem to have fixed it using Escape() in javascript

Yossarko fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 13, 2009

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've been working on a simple intranet-based PHP/MySQL utility for myself, but I'm years out of practice and a bit stuck.

I have a lookup table in my database that I want to pull into memory because the data is referenced quite a bit on a given page. It has around a dozen records and consists of:

int RankID (primary key, auto-increment)
varchar(20) RankName
int RankMin
int RankMax

I feel a bit stupid asking, but what's the best way to store this in memory? I thought I could just make a class with the appropriate properties, and then make an array of objects of this class type... but I guess I can't do that? Or I'm doing it wrong. Or something. Any help would be much appreciated.

SuckerPunched
Dec 20, 2006

An array of arrays?

php:
<?php

$values = array(
  'value1' => array (
    'rankid' => $rankid,
    'rankname' => $rankname,
    'rankmin' => $rankmin,
    'rankmax' => $rankmax
  ),
  'value2' => array (
    'rankid' => $rankid,
    'rankname' => $rankname,
    'rankmin' => $rankmin,
    'rankmax' => $rankmax
  ),
  'value3' => array (
    'rankid' => $rankid,
    'rankname' => $rankname,
    'rankmin' => $rankmin,
    'rankmax' => $rankmax
  ),
  'value4' => array (
    'rankid' => $rankid,
    'rankname' => $rankname,
    'rankmin' => $rankmin,
    'rankmax' => $rankmax
  )
);

?>

yatagan
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozma

WhiteHowler posted:

I thought I could just make a class with the appropriate properties, and then make an array of objects of this class type... but I guess I can't do that?

That sounds like a good idea. Why don't you post your code attempting to do that and we'll fix it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I tried making an array of objects, but I obviously did something very wrong...

php:
<?
class playerrankclass {
    public $rankname;
    public $rankmin;
    public $rankmax;
}

$playerrank = array();

function getplayerranks() {
    $query = "select * from tblPlayerRank";
    $rankresult = mysql_query($query);
    $ranknumrows = mysql_num_rows($rankresult);

for ($i=0; $i<$ranknumrows; $i++) {
        $thisrank = mysql_fetch_array($rankresult);
        $playerrank[] = new playerrankclass($thisrank[PlayerRankName], $thisrank[PlayerRankMin], $thisrank[PlayerRankMax]);
    }
}

getplayerranks();
?>
The query completes correctly, and the data is making it into the $thisrank object (I put in some debug code to echo the contents of $thisrank after each mysql_fetch_array).

However, I don't get anything back when I attempt to access an element of playerrank[]:

php:
<?
$i = 0;  // or whatever
echo $playerrank[$i]->rankname;
?>
This returns nothing.

I'll admit I'm kind of in over my head here. I haven't used PHP in two or three years now, and I've obviously forgotten a lot of stuff that used to be second nature.

Standish
May 21, 2001

You need to have an explicit constructor for class playerrankclass as follows:
php:
<?
class playerrankclass {
    public $rankname;
    public $rankmin;
    public $rankmax;
    function playerrankclass($newRankname, $newRankmin, $newRankmax) { 
        $rankname = $newRankname;
        $rankmin = $newRankmin;
        $rankmax = $newRankmax;
    }
}
?>
It's not smart enough to figure out "oh, the class has 3 members and you're passing 3 args to the constructor, I'll automatically assign them".

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

WhiteHowler posted:

I tried making an array of objects, but I obviously did something very wrong...

php:
<?
class playerrankclass {
    public $rankname;
    public $rankmin;
    public $rankmax;
}

$playerrank = array();

function getplayerranks() {
    $query = "select * from tblPlayerRank";
    $rankresult = mysql_query($query);
    $ranknumrows = mysql_num_rows($rankresult);

for ($i=0; $i<$ranknumrows; $i++) {
        $thisrank = mysql_fetch_array($rankresult);
        $playerrank[] = new playerrankclass($thisrank[PlayerRankName], $thisrank[PlayerRankMin], $thisrank[PlayerRankMax]);
    }
}

getplayerranks();
?>
The query completes correctly, and the data is making it into the $thisrank object (I put in some debug code to echo the contents of $thisrank after each mysql_fetch_array).

However, I don't get anything back when I attempt to access an element of playerrank[]:

php:
<?
$i = 0;  // or whatever
echo $playerrank[$i]->rankname;
?>
This returns nothing.

I'll admit I'm kind of in over my head here. I haven't used PHP in two or three years now, and I've obviously forgotten a lot of stuff that used to be second nature.

You need to explicitly set the class variables, unless something has changed and there's magic assignment of arguments to class member vars based or order defined or something... which might be the case, because my PHP is rusty. :)

Think of it this way: How does new playerrankclass('poop',1,3) know what do to with the string 'poop' and the numbers 1 and 3?

You either need to make a constructor function in your class that takes arguments, or set them then add to your array:

php:
<?
$tmp = new playerrankclass();
$tmp->rankname = 'poop';
$tmp->rankmin  = 1;
$tmp->rankmax = 3;
$plyerrank[]= $tmp;
?>

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Standish posted:

You need to have an explicit constructor for class playerrankclass as follows:

It's not smart enough to figure out "oh, the class has 3 members and you're passing 3 args to the constructor, I'll automatically assign them".
Oh, that makes sense.

I swear I used to know all of this. :sigh:

Thanks for the help; I have a feeling this will make it work just fine.

Edit:
It's still not working quite right.

I added the constructor to the class. However, trying:
php:
<?
foreach ($playerrank as $rankvalue) {
    echo "Array value: ".$rankvalue->rankname."<br>";
}
?>
...gives me thirteen lines of:
code:
Array value: 
Obviously $playerrank is being created with 13 elements (this is the correct number of rows in the table), but I'm not really sure that the values are correct/accessible.

Edit #2:
count($playerrank) is also showing 13 elements. Am I just attempting to access the values incorrectly?

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 14, 2009

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

WhiteHowler posted:

Oh, that makes sense.

I swear I used to know all of this. :sigh:

Thanks for the help; I have a feeling this will make it work just fine.

Edit:
It's still not working quite right.

I added the constructor to the class. However, trying:
php:
<?
foreach ($playerrank as $rankvalue) {
    echo "Array value: ".$rankvalue->rankname."<br>";
}
?>
...gives me thirteen lines of:
code:
Array value: 
Obviously $playerrank is being created with 13 elements (this is the correct number of rows in the table), but I'm not really sure that the values are correct/accessible.

Edit #2:
count($playerrank) is also showing 13 elements. Am I just attempting to access the values incorrectly?

what does print_r($playerrank); output?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I have a page login.php (for users to log in) that up until now accepted a form sent using POST. I was asked by a user if I could set it up to also accept GET data because, I dunno, he wants to set up a hyperlink from his Google thingymabob to visit my site or something like that. I didn't see any reason why not so I added it. So now my users can log in by submitting the form using POST or by visiting a URL like https://www.mysite.com/login.php?Name=Hammerite&Password=fishfingers

Just wanted to check that there aren't any security issues with doing this. User has been given to understand that any security concerns associated with using this facility are his problem, not mine, but I'd like to know.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Hammerite posted:

Just wanted to check that there aren't any security issues with doing this. User has been given to understand that any security concerns associated with using this facility are his problem, not mine, but I'd like to know.

Don't send passwords using GET.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
How is it any different than a POST if neither are encrypted?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
POST will never appear in a URL string. It takes a lot amount more detective work to grab a password from POST compared to GET. If it is just one customer then put that functionality in but restrict it to the single login. POST isn't encrypted, but it at least tries to hide things.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Ned posted:

POST will never appear in a URL string. It takes a lot amount more detective work to grab a password from POST compared to GET. If it is just one customer then put that functionality in but restrict it to the single login. POST isn't encrypted, but it at least tries to hide things.

No, POST does not try to hide things. POST is not any harder whatsoever for a determined attacker to snoop; it's not even realistically harder for an opportunistic attacker. There are exactly two situations in which GET will reveal a password, but POST wouldn't:

• Someone is shoulder-surfing and looking at the screen of the user.
  • The user follows a link to a remote site immediately after logging in, and the remote site gets the password in the referer header.

Both of these are solved by a very simple and standard practice: After the user logs in, issue a HTTP redirect that sends them to some other page. That will very quickly change the URL visible in the browser, minimizing the time it is available for someone to read, and will ensure that any links off-site will have a referer that does not include the login information.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Why not pass in some sort of session id in the url?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I'm not worried about the determined hacker. I'm worried about the unwilling hacker. Having a password in GET opens you up to people who don't know anything. POST at least requires a tiny bit of knowledge about how things work and is less likely to persist.

Just warn the guy and do what you can to convince him to take a few steps for security. GET is a bad idea.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Ned posted:

I'm not worried about the determined hacker. I'm worried about the unwilling hacker. Having a password in GET opens you up to people who don't know anything. POST at least requires a tiny bit of knowledge about how things work and is less likely to persist.

Just warn the guy and do what you can to convince him to take a few steps for security. GET is a bad idea.

It's like you didn't even read ShoulderDaemon's post. GET won't make your system any more insecure than POST if you aren't encrypting your data in anyway. He even mentioned that part about the redirect so you don't even have see the URL.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Thanks for the suggestion about the redirect, I've now implemented that as well. (The login page now just redirects to itself, with the GET variables removed obviously, after carrying out the tasks associated with logging the user in.) Although, it only does this if the user was successful logging in. It doesn't redirect if the user sends a misspelled user name or something like that, and fails to log in. I guess I need to tackle that at some point.

fletcher posted:

Why not pass in some sort of session id in the url?

I only use PHP sessions for users. I don't even use cookies at all (well, apart from PHP session cookies obviously). In the long term I would like to implement a better system, to include "remember me" cookies, but I know there are all kinds of security considerations to be aware of when doing that kind of thing and I haven't gotten around to doing it yet (there are always so many things to do).

In any case, this user wants to just create a static hyperlink from his Google page that will send him to my site and log him in. Yeah, it's stupidly insecure, but that's his bag, why do I care.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Edit: :ughh: I'm retarded. Forgot to use $this-> in my constructor.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 15, 2009

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

True story:

I was trying to apply for a government job one time (U.S. Federal government - don't remember where specifically) and the sign up page required a social security number. I figure it's no big deal since it's a SSL secure form and stuff so I go ahead and fill everything in - all the information one would need to get a credit card in my name, really, and hit submit. Lo and behold, the next form comes up and the first get parameter in the URL is social=123456789. The old laptop I was using that day probably even still has it somewhere on the hard drive since I don't use it too often :toot:

Note that I'm not trying to piss on Hammerite's decision - users can shoot all their own toes off if they want, fine - I just thought it was apropos.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Can anyone recommend a good JSON/Array To XML script? I found a couple, but one was horribly written and the other doesn't work. I'd rather not waste time writing my own as I have much more difficult problems to solve.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I have been using this for something simple.

code:
function generate_xml_from_array($array, $node_name) 
{
	$xml = '';

if (is_array($array) || is_object($array)) {
		foreach ($array as $key=>$value) {
			if (is_numeric($key)) {
				$key = $node_name;
			}

$xml .= '<' . $key . '>' . "\n" . generate_xml_from_array($value, $node_name) . '</' . $key . '>' . "\n";
		}
	} else {
		$xml = htmlspecialchars($array, ENT_QUOTES) . "\n";
	}

return $xml;
}

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Is there a way other than a set of IF statements that can perform a set of commands depending on what a variable is?

Like if $color is "red" do <command set 1> but if $color is "blue" then do <command set 2> but if $color is "green" do <command set 3>.

I found it. it's the Switch structure.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 18, 2009

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you wanna be clever and make something horrible, you could define functions called red(), green(), and blue() and then call them as $color().

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH

rt4 posted:

If you wanna be clever and make something horrible, you could define functions called red(), green(), and blue() and then call them as $color().
jesus did you really just suggest that?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

supster posted:

When I saw that post my immediate reaction was "What? Can you do that?" (You can't, unless my hosting has set some ini setting to disable it)

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Unless I'm missing something, you can do that, if you wrap it in Eval()

No ?

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
You can do it. You probably have the syntax wrong (it's also not the best method, but it would work). No need for eval()

php:
<?
function red()
{
    echo 'RED!';
}

$color='red';

$color();?>

Standish
May 21, 2001

Hammerite posted:

When I saw that post my immediate reaction was "What? Can you do that?" (You can't, unless my hosting has set some ini setting to disable it)
Yes, you can do this:http://de2.php.net/manual/en/functions.variable-functions.php

but if you do and I end up having to maintain your code I will track you down and kill you.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

supster posted:

I noted that it's horrible.

The bullshit I maintain at work has this all over the place. It makes the code nearly impossible to trace!

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Why did they even add that functionality ?

It's like register_globals. Just screaming for bad code.

Cad_Monkey2
Feb 15, 2004

I've come across a problem with 'mktime()'.

I keep getting this error message 'Warning: mktime() expects parameter 4 to be long, string given in Path/to/file/name.php'

I use this function to strip out leading zeros and cast the result into an integer but I still get problems.

code:
function human_date($year,$month,$day)
{
	// Strip off leading zeros
	$year = ltrim($year, '0');
	$month = ltrim($month, '0');
	$day = ltrim($day, '0');

// Cast the variables into integers
	$year = (int)$year;
	$month = (int)$month;
	$day = (int)$day;

// Perform the conversion
	$date = mktime(1, 1, 1, '$month', '$day', '$year');
	$date = date('l jS \of F Y', $date);

return $date;
}
Any ideas why this would happen?

Edit, I think I solved it. I should stop enclosing integers in quotes thingys.

Cad_Monkey2 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 19, 2009

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Yossarko posted:

It lets you pretend php has first-class functions.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Cad_Monkey2 posted:

Edit, I think I solved it. I should stop enclosing integers in quotes thingys.

Yeah, you were passing it the string "$month", not the integer stored in $month.

Cad_Monkey2
Feb 15, 2004

thedaian posted:

Yeah, you were passing it the string "$month", not the integer stored in $month.

I tested that function, tested for integers, entered dummy info and stared at it for 3 hours. I posted it and 8 minutes later while reading my own post, spotted it. What a waste of time!

Although, I won't make that mistake again.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Yossarko posted:

Probably because Perl had it first. A few other languages have a similar mechanism. It's a great trick if you ever need to make your code as fragile and unfixable as possible in a big loving hurry.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH

Yossarko posted:

Pretty much everything wrong with PHP right now is a result of a few bad decisions very early in the language's development that we are now stuck with due to backward compatibility issues.

At least 5.3 was a huge step forward and eventually 6 will be a decent language. Now only if hosts would upgrade to 5.3. :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

thedaian posted:

You can do it. You probably have the syntax wrong (it's also not the best method, but it would work). No need for eval()

php:
<?
function red()
{
    echo 'RED!';
}

$color='red';

$color();?>

I see you and raise you:

php:
<?
function red()