Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Xenomorph posted:

Well, then leave it on. Instead of stopping a service or opening Group Policy editor and digging through its structure, I've had a Reboot disable thing in XdN Tweaker for a while that makes the same policy change.

Oh cool, I'd never seen that application. Looks pretty useful, thanks.

I'm just curious, how does XdN Tweaker prevent the reboot? It has to be modifying the same thing I did no? Unless you're saying rather than recommend that someone go in GP edit and break everything I should recommend this application, in which case I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
I have a strange problem.

Whenever I reboot my Windows 7 X64 pro machine, my desktop icons disappear.

I right click on the desktop, go to view and I see that Show Desktop Icons is unchecked.

So I click on it, and my desktop icons are back.

I have rebooted a few times now, and each time, when I log in, that option is unchecked.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

gariig posted:

I know you fixed, but in case someone else reads the microphone was muted the first time i plugged it in. Just unmute the mic and things should work. This is what worked for me.

Yeah, it was the same for me. It's quite annoying I didn't realise earlier, I went through all the volume options (or so I thought) and couldn't get it working. So I muted it, unmuted, and it worked.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Urfdser posted:

Oh cool, I'd never seen that application. Looks pretty useful, thanks.

I'm just curious, how does XdN Tweaker prevent the reboot? It has to be modifying the same thing I did no? Unless you're saying rather than recommend that someone go in GP edit and break everything I should recommend this application, in which case I agree.

Yeah, it just changes the same registry key that the Group Policy editor changes. It puts it on a simple "one click" button interface (along with lots of other tweaks).

Many of the tweaks in XdN Tweaker are based on suggestions from people. People request something, I see if it can be changed, and if it's a simple registry setting I usually put it in my next release.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BronYrAur posted:

Anything explorer related you pin to the task bar shows up in the jump list of the libraries folder icon. This means My Computer is now two clicks away, but that's okay.

What about using the context menu? Right click and it might be there. You can pin individual folders into the context menu itself so they stay there.

It's only failing is that you can't pin something that's not there.. It seems to show the most recently accessed folders or something, and if the folder you want to pin doesn't show on that list you can't pin it. I wish you could choose; but I guess if you're desperate you could use CCleaner to clear the history which resets the whole list (including the pins) and then make sure the only folders you go to are the ones you want to pin so you have that option.

The context menu is awesome, chrome takes massive advantage of it.

edit:

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 14, 2009

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As I mentioned in the last page as well, you can simply create a shortcut to the folder you want and then drag the shortcut to the libraries icon in the taskbar and then the shortcut will be pinned. This even works for "My Computer" as well which probably won't show up on the recently accessed list.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

echinopsis posted:

What about using the context menu? Right click and it might be there. You can pin individual folders into the context menu itself so they stay there.

It's only failing is that you can't pin something that's not there.. It seems to show the most recently accessed folders or something, and if the folder you want to pin doesn't show on that list you can't pin it. I wish you could choose; but I guess if you're desperate you could use CCleaner to clear the history which resets the whole list (including the pins) and then make sure the only folders you go to are the ones you want to pin so you have that option.

The context menu is awesome, chrome takes massive advantage of it.

edit:

That's the Jump List he mentioned.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Casao posted:

That's the Jump List he mentioned.

oh well.. now we have a picture

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

echinopsis posted:

oh well.. now we have a picture

Yeah. Fun fact - jump list can be activated by tapping an icon and dragging up, designed to help reduce the need for right click on a touch screen.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Casao posted:

Yeah. Fun fact - jump list can be activated by tapping an icon and dragging up, designed to help reduce the need for right click on a touch screen.

Holy poo poo. It's all the little things that make 7 awesome.

FAILS AT EVERYTHING
Jan 2, 2006

Finally, I've escaped!

Casao posted:

Really, thank you for this, that made me able to use jump lists a lot easier.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Casao posted:

So THAT'S what's doing that. Every once in a while I'll try to switch windows by left clicking the icon in the taskbar and the menu would pop up instead. Now I know that it's because I moved my mouse .5mm up while clicking. Anyway to disable this?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

taco_fox posted:

So THAT'S what's doing that. Every once in a while I'll try to switch windows by left clicking the icon in the taskbar and the menu would pop up instead. Now I know that it's because I moved my mouse .5mm up while clicking. Anyway to disable this?

Don't hold the mouse button down so long? Learn how to click your mouse without moving it?

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
I hope I am not REALLY late to the game with this, but Shrewsoft VPN 2.1.5-rc4 works perfectly with Windows 7 x64 via IPSEC. I am glad i didn't have to drop $140 on the NCP client.
http://shrew.net/download/vpn/vpn-client-2.1.5-rc-4.exe

Belldandy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 15, 2009

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Avarcirwen posted:

Yes you can, keys are version specific not bit level specific.

I keep seeing everyone say this, but my keys certainly aren't. Not a big deal. 32bit on the tablet, 64bit on the desktop.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

thrawn86 posted:

I keep seeing everyone say this, but my keys certainly aren't. Not a big deal. 32bit on the tablet, 64bit on the desktop.

Where'd you get it? All of the MSDN keys are. Retail's not out yet, so we don't know for sure, but they were for Vista.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Casao posted:

Retail's not out yet

I can confirm it works for the Ultimate they gave out at the "The New Efficiency" seminars, because they only had 32-bit discs and the key I got worked with 7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULXFRER_EN_DVD.iso.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

thrawn86 posted:

That's what he's saying when he says "version specific, not bit-level specific". In fact that's what everyone has been saying. You can use one key for either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 14, 2013

Rort
Sep 24, 2006
I apologize if this has been brought up before, but there's been 2000 replies since I've last checked this thread...

Anyway, is there a way to force the taskbar (when on the side of the screen) to be 1 small icon size wide, or about half of width of what it is normally? I think it's actually a glitch, but when I open a video in a splitting program, explorer reverts to Windows 7 Basic and I get an awesome thin taskbar.

Here's some screenshots of what I'm talking about :

Normal, thick taskbar (thinnest you can get it by dragging it):

Awesome, thin taskbar (what I want):

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You'll have to get rid of the clock for that. As it is as wide as the clock.

Rort
Sep 24, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

It still won't let me make it any smaller than the default size, unless I'm missing something.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Rort posted:

It still won't let me make it any smaller than the default size, unless I'm missing something.

Missing the proper genetic code to make you not use your taskbar wrong :colbert:

But in all seriousness, that looks to be pretty much the width of the highlighted large icons on the bottom taksbar, so I'd say it's probably got to do with the graphics they're using for it. Not sure if it's a bug or not, but it's possible another theme might solve it?

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need
I know this might be a premature question, since we haven't even hit retail release yet, but is there any program that gives you finer control over the Windows 7 taskbar? Specifically, I want a way to show all windows for a program with a single click + modifier (working with Explorer windows is suddenly a massive pain in the rear end, as is using Reason with the sequencer detached), a single-click way to close an entire program (ideally middle click, with a click+modifier for starting a new instance) and the ability to detach windows from their parent program and put them in their own separate icon (for Digsby, specifically, so I can get back to my conversations with one click but still keep my buddy list open.)

I don't want to completely disable grouping or I'd do it; I just want slightly more control over the taskbar, as much as I like the new functionality. Has anyone come up with this program yet, or do I need to wait for the Taskbar Shuffle guy to buy Win7?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Cojawfee posted:

Its hard to tell in my pic, but the clock isn't whats holding it back. With small icons and no click it only allowed a couple mm thinner. I think its the start orb causing the width.

Click here for the full 960x1199 image.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Casao posted:

loving awesome

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Its hard to tell in my pic, but the clock isn't whats holding it back. With small icons and no click it only allowed a couple mm thinner. I think its the start orb causing the width.

Click here for the full 960x1199 image.

Looks like the vertical taskbar is entirely different from the horizontal one. The horizontal taskbar locks to specific heights based on the icon size. Whereas the vertical taskbar can be any width down to the smaller limit and out to half the screen. So they probably made it so the minimum width is large icon width

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Going to be switching from a Macbook to a desktop with Win 7 within a week or so.. What are the best free anti viral/spyware programs working with w7 right now? Anything else I should look into security wise or is w7 relatively solid?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus.

Malwarebytes for spyware if you feel you need it (probably don't with Vista/Win7).

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomorph posted:

Malwarebytes for spyware if you feel you need it (probably don't with Vista/Win7).

What about Windows Defender?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Is there any way to enable Aero Snap but DISABLE the feature that auto maximizes windowed screens? I play a few games in windows, but at my desktop rez so I can alt-tab, and I can never drag the windows to properly fill the screen as Windows always leaves the menu bar at the top.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
It depends on the game, and a lot of the games that you can do it in need a third-party app to do it. More recent Source-engine games (HL2 Episode 2, Portal, TF2, and L4D) can do it native by adding the -noborder command line parameter along with the -windowed one. Fallout 3 can do it with a small program you launch before the game.

Basically you'll have to find out how to do it for each game separately.

xydrine
Jul 5, 2009

FISA Approved...
The task bar alone is enough of a reason to upgrade to Windows 7, even if you consider it a service pack with a new name. I'm actually seriously consider buying an Eee for the fact that Windows 7 is said to run pretty well on one.

manwithoutskin, I'm currently running ESET Smart Security suite. Though it isn't free you may want to check it out, or at least give it a try. It runs flawlessly on Windows 7 and is very low-profile.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

echinopsis posted:

What about Windows Defender?

MSE replaces windows defender and should be as adequate as anything else to prevent malware infections.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Xenomorph posted:

I have it on my 2 computers and it's great. Are there any charts or reviews of it that compare it to other free options out there?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joe Don Baker posted:

I have it on my 2 computers and it's great. Are there any charts or reviews of it that compare it to other free options out there?
http://www.av-comparatives.org/ should have an updated report at some point.

coldsnap
Jun 28, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

I'm not so sure about this. My Win7 installation picked up two virus/spyware packages in a week. Nod and SuperAntiSpyware (paid versions) both ignored them for a few days.

One was a trojan associated with usbctrl.exe. I picked that up at the Razer site in an official Razer mouse software download for Win7 (they have since acknowledged this and supposedly corrected it) and the other was AntiVirus Pro 2010.

Nod ignored the Antivirus Pro 2010 completely, and was about a week behind other AVs finding the usbctrl.exe. SuperAntiSpyware found AntiVirus Pro 2010 and said it cleaned it, but it didn't. Malwarebytes cleaned it easy as pie.

I still don't know where I got Antivirus Pro 2010. I don't use IE, I use Firefox with noscript and I don't recall going to any shady sites and I didn't download any cracked stuff. I even use WOT on Firefox, so I have no idea where I picked that up from.

So anyway, yeah, I think Malwarebytes is a good idea on Win7.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Isn't it possible that you picked up the second infection from the initial trojan?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

coldsnap posted:

I'm not so sure about this. My Win7 installation picked up two virus/spyware packages in a week. Nod and SuperAntiSpyware (paid versions) both ignored them for a few days.

One was a trojan associated with usbctrl.exe. I picked that up at the Razer site in an official Razer mouse software download for Win7 (they have since acknowledged this and supposedly corrected it) and the other was AntiVirus Pro 2010.

Nod ignored the Antivirus Pro 2010 completely, and was about a week behind other AVs finding the usbctrl.exe. SuperAntiSpyware found AntiVirus Pro 2010 and said it cleaned it, but it didn't. Malwarebytes cleaned it easy as pie.

I still don't know where I got Antivirus Pro 2010. I don't use IE, I use Firefox with noscript and I don't recall going to any shady sites and I didn't download any cracked stuff. I even use WOT on Firefox, so I have no idea where I picked that up from.

Flash has had, like, 3 driveby exploits in the past few months. I dunno if noscript disables flash (does it?) but it's possible it's responsible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Wicaeed posted:

Is there any way to enable Aero Snap but DISABLE the feature that auto maximizes windowed screens? I play a few games in windows, but at my desktop rez so I can alt-tab, and I can never drag the windows to properly fill the screen as Windows always leaves the menu bar at the top.

By definition, the "auto maximize" thing is Aero Snap. It can be disabled (XdN Tweaker does this).

coldsnap posted:

AntiVirus Pro 2010 (and its many variants) are annoying, but they can NOT install themselves under Windows Vista or Windows 7 without someone giving them consent first.