Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bavid
Jul 28, 2003

bell biv devoe posted:

It absolutely blows my mind to see offices full of Aerons.

I don't know...my mind is blown more by an office that expects people to sit in chairs that are bad for their posture for 8 hours a day. Spending $500 on a chair for someone who already costs the company $80,000 a year isn't that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
My old boss said it really well - 'I spend more time in this chair than I spend in my own bed' - when I asked him why he spent so much on some fancy Aeron.

I still haven't bought one myself, but I'm grateful my company did!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

bell biv devoe posted:

It absolutely blows my mind to see offices full of Aerons.

Don't get me wrong, I like the chair, except for the hard plastic edges which make it difficult to find a good sleeping position in. :haw:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Its a very very deep reddish brown. It really depends what lighting its in.

I was extremely surprised that it shipped for free because everything together weighed 200lbs+. A shipping company named CEVA shipped the main 60x47" desk because of the dimensions. I was a little skeptical after reading up on them, but they were absolutely great here.

That's really loving awesome, and everything was packaged properly and was shipped without any damage?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

bavid posted:

I don't know...my mind is blown more by an office that expects people to sit in chairs that are bad for their posture for 8 hours a day. Spending $500 on a chair for someone who already costs the company $80,000 a year isn't that much.

This. My friends mother is now experiencing some rather bad back problems that her doctor blames on her office ergonomics. There are other factors (weight and age), but the fact is she had no problems before the job, and it is been an issue she brought up since year one. It is most likely going to be considered a work related injury now which is an L&I issue. The entire thing is a mess all because they would not provide something better than an old 40 dollar office chair. The result will cost both her and the business more than the price of an office chair.

To put it into perspective: If a person worked at an office for 40 hours a week for two years an 800 dollar chair would cost them less than twenty cents per billed hour. After that it would be paid off and have a long warrantee to boot. A large office would not even be paying the full retail of an aeron.

On a lighter note my roommate just purchased an Embody, and I can't wait. We played with the thing for a good hour at the store, and it is awesome.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Its a very very deep reddish brown. It really depends what lighting its in.

I was extremely surprised that it shipped for free because everything together weighed 200lbs+. A shipping company named CEVA shipped the main 60x47" desk because of the dimensions. I was a little skeptical after reading up on them, but they were absolutely great here.

Yea CEVA in Northern VA delivered my Samsung 40" TV. They were awesome.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Juriko posted:

This. My friends mother is now experiencing some rather bad back problems that her doctor blames on her office ergonomics. There are other factors (weight and age), but the fact is she had no problems before the job, and it is been an issue she brought up since year one. It is most likely going to be considered a work related injury now which is an L&I issue. The entire thing is a mess all because they would not provide something better than an old 40 dollar office chair. The result will cost both her and the business more than the price of an office chair.

To put it into perspective: If a person worked at an office for 40 hours a week for two years an 800 dollar chair would cost them less than twenty cents per billed hour. After that it would be paid off and have a long warrantee to boot. A large office would not even be paying the full retail of an aeron.

On a lighter note my roommate just purchased an Embody, and I can't wait. We played with the thing for a good hour at the store, and it is awesome.

As the person who fills the office with chairs, I would absolutely love everyone to be in an Aeron/Mirra. I suppose step one would be to convince the big guy to get one.. trickle down effect perhaps.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Tab8715 posted:

That's really loving awesome, and everything was packaged properly and was shipped without any damage?

Yep. Shipped almost immediately from amazon, and actually made it into CEVA's hub WAY before the delivery date. They called early, set up an appointment date/time and that was that. I was a little afraid initially because of some of the reviews I found after doing some googling, and also because of the fact that they gave me 4-hour delivery window (9am - 1pm). Lo and behold the morning of the appointment date, the guy called at 9:05am saying he was ready to deliver.

Nothing was dinged or dropped, and Legare does a beautiful job packing it anyway. Everything is wrapped in thin foam and layered on top of each other with stiff foam inbetween.

My CEVA hub was the St. Louis one, so it could be a larger one and more organized because I'm so close to a big city.

At least I know what to expect now if I order my TV through amazon.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

volkadav posted:

Has anyone reading this thread owned/used an Herman-Miller Aeron, Steelcase Leap/Think/Amia, Humanscale Freedom or similar, speaking of chairs?

I sit on a Steelcase Leap, and I'm very happy with it. I haven't sat in an Aeron so I can't comment on what they're like, but my research when I was looking into chairs was that that the Leap was a more up-to-date attempt at trying to do the same kind of thing. It's not OMG cool pellicle mesh or whatever but a lot of the reviews said that Aerons can tear up your clothes and stuff and I don't mind sitting on a cushioned base.

At first Dad said "no loving way am I spending AUD$1200 on an office chair" (we work from a home office), but I convinced him to at least sit in one before he decided. So he did, and after a few minutes he was happy to order 2 of them. I also ordered one for my bedroom at the same time. So I'm pretty much in a Leap all day, from work to using my PC/360 at night.

It's not like you orgasm every time you sit down which is the impression many Aeron users seem to give about their chairs, but it's comfortable (the best way I can describe it is that I don't find myself conscious of the chair throughout the day, which surely means it's comfortable), very adjustable (layback stop, layback tension, lumbar support height, lower back support tenson, armrest height, positioning forward/back, twist inwards/outwards), and has about an 8 year warranty I think.

Regardless of which brand you go for, personally I think you'd be an idiot to shell out that kind of money for something you haven't yet sat in.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Revenant.Eagle posted:

After seemingly and endless search... my new desk was delivered today:

To give it scale, thats a 24" monitor. The desk is 60"x121".

Its actually a 3-piece desk, made from all-natural bamboo plywood with a wood veneer. It has no screws or metal parts, fits together all via friction fit with each piece building on top of the other piece. I think its actually sturdier than any other desk I've had.

I have a question about this desk (and the extensions). Do the bottom shelves provide any structural stability? I.e., can I set it up without the shelves? I'd like to get a 60"x47", but I would like to set it up without the right most bottom shelves.

Fourteen
Aug 15, 2002

No, no, no you imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!

volkadav posted:

Has anyone reading this thread owned/used an Herman-Miller Aeron, Steelcase Leap/Think/Amia, Humanscale Freedom or similar, speaking of chairs?

I bought myself a H-M Mirra chair over the summer and I love it to death. We have a few Aerons here in the office, and I tried them out but didn't really love the feel. The Mirra felt much better to me. A little pricey (~$700 IIRC) but definitely worth the investment, I think.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Wow, I just looked at Craigslist for Aerons/Mirra/etc, and there are actually a ton of decently cheap ones. What items break/wear on these that I should look out for?

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

The lumbar support is removable, and the gas cylinder sometimes goes bad. Look for one with a bad cylinder, you'll get a discount and they're easy to find and replace.

I'm lucky in that my office has an Aeron for people with a little extra girth, and nobody liked it, so it fell to my fat rear end. The lumbar support is missing, but that's not too bad. Now it's got my name on it.

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

Juriko posted:

Everybody at my office has an Aeron and within the first two weeks after somebody starts we have an ergonomics consultant come by, talk to them about the work they do (most of us are just coders spending the whole day typing in terminals) and where they have pain or discomfort. The consultant then orders any ergonomic hardware needed for the person; all costs are paid by the company with no questions asked.

It's really appreciated. I don't have that many problems but I know that having somebody looking out for me will meant that I can keep doing this job pain-free instead of getting carpal tunnel/RSI by the age of 30 and being completely worthless at my career.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Victor Nightingale posted:

Everybody at my office has an Aeron and within the first two weeks after somebody starts we have an ergonomics consultant come by, talk to them about the work they do (most of us are just coders spending the whole day typing in terminals) and where they have pain or discomfort. The consultant then orders any ergonomic hardware needed for the person; all costs are paid by the company with no questions asked.

It's really appreciated. I don't have that many problems but I know that having somebody looking out for me will meant that I can keep doing this job pain-free instead of getting carpal tunnel/RSI by the age of 30 and being completely worthless at my career.

My work desk is a door laying sideways across a pair of cabinets. It sucks

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

timb posted:

I have a question about this desk (and the extensions). Do the bottom shelves provide any structural stability? I.e., can I set it up without the shelves? I'd like to get a 60"x47", but I would like to set it up without the right most bottom shelves.

They don't seem to provide that much stability. I removed the lower right part to slide my computer tower in and I haven't noticed any instability at all, but I do have the two other extensions attached to the corner desk. YMMV.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Revenant.Eagle posted:

They don't seem to provide that much stability. I removed the lower right part to slide my computer tower in and I haven't noticed any instability at all, but I do have the two other extensions attached to the corner desk. YMMV.

Yea, I wanted to do away with the shelving on the 60" portion to house a CPU. That will be connected to a 30" bridge though, so hopefully it'll be okay.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

timb posted:

Yea, I wanted to do away with the shelving on the 60" portion to house a CPU. That will be connected to a 30" bridge though, so hopefully it'll be okay.

As long as you aren't jumping/standing/rocking/acting like a monkey on it, the desk seems pretty sturdy on its own without the shelves. Buy the desk, you won't regret it.

Edit: I can write complete sentences, I swear.

Revenant.Eagle fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 13, 2009

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

bavid posted:

I work at a small enough company that we get to actually choose between $800 more on a paycheck and a $800 chair.

Move numbers around a bit for taxes vs. a quantity buy, but I'm comfortable with that choice.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
My apartment came with a no-name, no-frills desk that's actually a very nice size and shape for my needs, and it's sturdy enough to hold my displays.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

The one thing I would really like is some cable management that's not my roll of velcro. It's a bit of a mess.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

jnr posted:

My apartment came with a no-name, no-frills desk that's actually a very nice size and shape for my needs, and it's sturdy enough to hold my displays.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

The one thing I would really like is some cable management that's not my roll of velcro. It's a bit of a mess.

What kind of monitor arm are you using?

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

kimcicle posted:

What kind of monitor arm are you using?

It's an Ergotron LX Dual. My 24" displays are the upper limit of what it can hold.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

jnr posted:

It's an Ergotron LX Dual. My 24" displays are the upper limit of what it can hold.

I've been meaning to find out, can you buy the arms for that series of desk mounts separately? I've got the base Ergotron LX with a single display, and I've been thinking about getting a second 22" and was wondering if I could just buy another arm and stick it on that.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

The Third Man posted:

I've been meaning to find out, can you buy the arms for that series of desk mounts separately? I've got the base Ergotron LX with a single display, and I've been thinking about getting a second 22" and was wondering if I could just buy another arm and stick it on that.

I didn't see it for sale after a quick check of their site. Maybe you could give them a call.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
I used an Aeron at my last job for about 2 years, new job we have Steelcase Leap chairs. I like them quite a bit better than my Aeron.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

BabyJesus posted:

I used an Aeron at my last job for about 2 years, new job we have Steelcase Leap chairs. I like them quite a bit better than my Aeron.

We have both the Aerons and the Leap chairs here. I sit in an Aeron, because I can't stand how hot the Leap Chair is.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

SwimNurd posted:

We have both the Aerons and the Leap chairs here. I sit in an Aeron, because I can't stand how hot the Leap Chair is.

Never heard of the leap before, so I looked it up, laughing my rear end off that it has a head rest attachment, just in case you get into a high speed head on crash at your next board meeting. You know, to prevent whiplash.

It Freshens!
Feb 12, 2005

Oh man, Ikea won't ship a Galant except by $150 truck, even just the tabletop :(

Time to con someone with a big car into helping me

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Get that subwoofer off your desk and into the corner

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Sniep posted:

Never heard of the leap before, so I looked it up, laughing my rear end off that it has a head rest attachment, just in case you get into a high speed head on crash at your next board meeting. You know, to prevent whiplash.

I actually kinda like a head rest, when I slouch back with my feet up, the head rest comes into play. When I'm sat up I don't use the head rest.

I'll admit, it's a funky 'car seat' style, but I guess that makes it easier on the eye than an extra 8-10 vertial extension of the back.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

It Freshens! posted:

Oh man, Ikea won't ship a Galant except by $150 truck, even just the tabletop :(

Time to con someone with a big car into helping me

We fit two tabletops, 4 legs, and two underbars in my wife Corolla with room to spare. Shouldn't need a big car at all.

Carnivean
Feb 14, 2004

by Peatpot

Dobermaniac posted:

We fit two tabletops, 4 legs, and two underbars in my wife, Corolla, with room to spare. Shouldn't need a big car at all.

:monocle:

netw1z
Oct 19, 2008
. . .

timb posted:

Here's my new setup:

Loving the simplicity of the Apple Cinema Display paired with a 17" MacBook Pro.

What desk is that? Looks ideal for the amount of room I have to play with.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Dobermaniac posted:

We fit two tabletops, 4 legs, and two underbars in my wife Corolla with room to spare. Shouldn't need a big car at all.

That is quite a lot :ohdear:

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Dobermaniac posted:

I'm surprised your wife put up with that

It Freshens!
Feb 12, 2005

Dobermaniac posted:

More importantly, it's time to con someone with any car at all into helping me

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

horizon posted:

What desk is that? Looks ideal for the amount of room I have to play with.

Studio RTA Javelin Glass Computer Desk. (I actually got mine from ComputerDesks.com, where it shipped free.)

It's pretty solid. The CPU holder doesn't have to be installed and the keyboard tray can be installed on the right or left.

HATE TROLL TIM fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 17, 2009

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bell biv devoe posted:

Wow, I just looked at Craigslist for Aerons/Mirra/etc, and there are actually a ton of decently cheap ones. What items break/wear on these that I should look out for?

Look for knockoffs, because a lot of them are. I'd go to a store like DWR and sit in a real Aeron, then you'll be able to tell for the most part what doesn't feel right when you sit in it. Make sure the adjustments are fairly easy to make, ask for an original receipt if they have it, etc.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Dobermaniac posted:

I fit a full size futon frame, the futon mattress, a chair, and a few lamps into my Corolla. And my roommate fit into the passenger's seat comfortably.

Corollas rule.

Also, did anyone else read that originally as...

quote:

We fit two tabletops, 4 legs, and two underbars in my wife
?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

To be honest, I use the old Thinkpad T43 that's there more than my desktop.

I don't really play games much these days.

The P180 is a big, heavy monstrosity that seems like overkill for me at this point. I think anything I build in the future will use Micro ATX.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 17, 2009