Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For levelling driving (and you should want to, because the Supercar gets guns at 4 stars) in Crackdown I found going berserk is the fastest way. Get a hit squad coming after you, and then drive around that particular island running over everybody. Literally everybody, like driving on the sidewalk. The hits you take to your levelling by running over pedestrians are more than made up for by running over gang members, and on the highway (remember to stay on your island although sometimes the hit squads carry over to the other islands) if you stick to driving on the wrong lanes, the gang members in their oncoming cars should die instantly if your speed is high enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

Astfgl posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy? The levels seem pretty straightforward, but it's hard to tell which force powers will pay off with enough investment, and which will remain useless. I've only put points into Heal and Grip at this point, as the others all seem like a waste.

While the double-bladed and dual-wielded lightsabers are very cool, the easiest to master and most versatile is the traditional one. Varying up fighting styles allows for different tactics against different enemies. As for force powers, Heal is essential, and Lightning does heavy, hard-to-block damage, potentially to multiple targets.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Still on Jedi Academy:

Does leaning toward the light or dark side have any noticeable effect on the game? Luke has already told me that he's "concerned" because of how dark I'm becoming, but will that affect anything beyond the final cinematic?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Astfgl posted:

Still on Jedi Academy:

Does leaning toward the light or dark side have any noticeable effect on the game? Luke has already told me that he's "concerned" because of how dark I'm becoming, but will that affect anything beyond the final cinematic?

If I recall there's a person near the end you can decide to kill or spare. Your choice here effects how the last level and ending plays out. Honestly if you just save before this you can run through the last level again and see the different ending, takes about 15 extra minutes.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Astfgl posted:

Still on Jedi Academy:

Don't worry. The only thing that matters for the ending is choosing to kill or not someone later in the game.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Thinkin' about trying out Star Control 2: Ur-Quan Masters soon, any 'must-do' stuff?

Also, pimping out the all-comprehensive site for this thread again:

http://www.drumandface.info/wsik/index.php/Main_Page

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Abugadu posted:

Thinkin' about trying out Star Control 2: Ur-Quan Masters soon, any 'must-do' stuff?

Also, pimping out the all-comprehensive site for this thread again:

http://www.drumandface.info/wsik/index.php/Main_Page

Don't bother going to planets with temperature above 400, weather above 4 or tectonics above 4. Don't even go to a planet with a combination of any two or more that's near that limit. The more crew you lose the higher the cost to replace them.

As far resource gathering, don't bother with anything that gives you less than 4 RUs.

Upgrade your mothership's turning first. It makes navigation a billion times easier and even if you don't upgrade the speed you can at least escape from enemies chasing you because you don't turn like a tractor trailer.

Finally, as soon as you reactivate the Earth space station fly to Pluto.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
On Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero:

Q: Should I play Zero first because it's a prequel?

A: No, always play them in the order they are released, not the chronological order. Zero has major spoilers for both RE1 and RE2. Play Zero either after 1 or 2.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
More tips for Jedi Academy force powers: Lightning isn't as useful as you'd think, it's ok for killing stormtroopers and other basic enemies, but it's not so good against enemy force users as they simply have too much health. Drain is much better as it works basically the same way, plus it heals you and you can grab a guy to quickly drain him safely when it's upgraded. I never really use dark rage as the health penalty is a pretty big disincentive. Grip kicks rear end and is really useful. when it's fully upgraded you can grab guys and throw them around, up in the air or off bridges/rooftops etc. If you're quick you even use it effectively against force users by 'flicking' them before they can break the grip with a force push.

On the light side front, Heal is obviously useful, and mandatory if you're not using Drain. Mind trick is pretty much worthless. It only works on weak enemies who you can just sabre to death more easily. Protect is good, useful in boss fights and against powerful enemies, plus there's a level later in the game with acid rain that Protect will block. Absorb is pretty good against the more powerful force-wielders you face later in the game, as it blocks damage from lightning, makes you immune to Grip, push and pull, plus it gives you Force points when enemies try to use those powers against you.

Basically, the light side powers all complement each other, and the same with the dark side. You don't need drain if you've got heal for instance. If you wanted to pick the most powerful mix, I'd probably go for Heal, Grip, Protect and Lightning, plus Absorb if you do the optional missions in each tier for another fully upgraded power.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Picked of Prince of Persia 2008 on the cheap, anything I should know about before I start?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
So I've started playing Mass Effect, and I'm wondering about a few things (I already checked the wiki):

1) Is there a limited amount of money I can get overall, or can I go back to planets that had enemies and get more equipment to sell or something similar?

2) In Feros, I wound up getting a sidemission after completing the main one (where you have to go into the ExoGeni building and get the data for the guy. However I'm apparently not able to activate the elevator anymore. Is there another way to get to the building, or am I screwed with that mission?

edit: Another question. I know you can restock up on Medi-gel in the doctor's area on your ship. Is there anywhere I can stock up on grenades?

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 14, 2009

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
In Mass Effect you will get more money that you will ever need, more so with the Pinnacle Station DLC. For example: by the time I hit level 50 I had the best armour, armour attachments, weapons and weapon attachments for me and my squad, and I was still at the money cap. If you half-assedly look for resources, you'll be in the clear easily.
You're probably screwed on that sidequest, though.

Foul Fowl posted:

Picked of Prince of Persia 2008 on the cheap, anything I should know about before I start?

Don't worry about getting all the Light Seeds, you really don't get anything for it. You can teleport between healed areas, which makes a lot of late-game traveling faster. Knocking enemies into walls or off cliffs is the easiest way to deal with them.

Edit: also, the ending is complete horseshit.

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 15, 2009

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

RE: Mass Effect

The amount of money you get scales with your level. The only real advantage to hoarding it is to get a certain achievement a little earlier.

When you do the collectibles, the reward you get in XP and credits is based on your level as well.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

GeneralFai posted:

Some people act like turdfaces when someone suggests that a poster "read the guide" in this thread, but I think it's appropriate sometimes.
Eh, I'm the OP and I think it's good to say it, just because there are some games that I think are functionally pointless to play without a guide, like the Suikoden games or those infamous early Sierra adventure games so notorious for their potential for self-fuckery. Maybe a good compromise is to just say "Use a guide for x," since I think in almost every game that "requires" a guide the vast majority of the content still doesn't.

I just updated the OP (which I don't think anyone reads anymore, since every game I listed got re-asked, but c'est la vie) with the Wiki link.

While I'm here, there are two areas in the game where I got snagged, so I thought I'd save others the trouble by posting both here.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (DX)
· To find BowWow, go up two screens from the point just outside the forest with the Piece of Heart surrounded by holes.
· To find the golden leaves, you need to talk to the monkey, who is two screens to the right of the castle drawbridge.

Gerroid
Nov 7, 2007

I'm not used to all this freaky technofear magic stuff.

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

Is there anywhere I can stock up on grenades?

The two DLCs are where the grenades are at. The first having a large stockpile, and the second having an unlimited supply. Outside of the two, you just get the odd grenade from the various storage boxes.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

Do not expect it to be like the Sands of Time series. This is important. It's much, much easier and controls closer to Assassin's Creed, and that put me off it for a while. Once you've adjusted your expectations, though, it's a very enjoyable experience, and fairly chilled.

Oh, and the visuals are horribly dull at the start, don't be put off by that, once you get about half-way, you'll get the point. It's a real slow-starter of a game in general.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 15, 2009

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Necc0 posted:

I just downloaded Hitman: Blood Money on Steam. What should I know?

You can exploit the game AI by using the coin. Also, the game becomes pathetically easy once you realize you can put people in a human shield and knock them out that way.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Demon's Souls just came in the mail so I'm planning on getting into that tonight. What are the things I should definitely know before starting up a game?

My only major concern is I've heard if someone is enough of a spiteful dick they can enter your game as a black phantom and screw you out of loot from certain enemies or some such similar thing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

McKracken posted:

Demon's Souls just came in the mail so I'm planning on getting into that tonight. What are the things I should definitely know before starting up a game?

My only major concern is I've heard if someone is enough of a spiteful dick they can enter your game as a black phantom and screw you out of loot from certain enemies or some such similar thing.

Take your time. Its a very methodical game. Its a hard game. I think you should experience it and then ask questions when you're stuck though.

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

blackguy32 posted:

You can exploit the game AI by using the coin. Also, the game becomes pathetically easy once you realize you can put people in a human shield and knock them out that way.

They count as a witness if you do this instead of using a syringe.

Tzar
Jun 9, 2005

Dammit DeeDee, you've failed me for the last time!

McKracken posted:

This can only happen if you have your physical body, which will be something of a rare occasion. When you're running around as a soul you are free to help others or invade them though, with no fear of invasions.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Gonna fire up Arcanum again later. Glanced over the wiki, was wondering what more specific tips I can go for. It's been a pretty long time since I played so it'll feel pretty brand new overall. I'll be playing as a tech gunfighter thief with persuasion.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

McKracken posted:

For a first time player, ranged attacks are the way to go. Enemies gang up on you and weapons clash off walls so pure melee characters have a rough time starting out. I suggest the mage or royal.

Other than that, you should play online because the hints people leave are helpful (I've rarely encountered a misleading hint) and watching people's screw ups is actually educational. Don't play the game like a hack-and-slash because you'll get frustrated and turn it off immediately. Lead enemies into small corridors (make sure you have an escape if things go wrong), and pound them with magic/ranged attacks or a thrusting weapon.

Really, just take things slow. The game is designed around punishing players who rush. There's nothing worse than amassing a bunch of souls, getting too cocky and dying horribly to a situation you could have avoided.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Nocturne Sabre posted:

Gonna fire up Arcanum again later. Glanced over the wiki, was wondering what more specific tips I can go for. It's been a pretty long time since I played so it'll feel pretty brand new overall. I'll be playing as a tech gunfighter thief with persuasion.

Make sure you grab the passport, the matchbook, the camera, the letter, and the Molochean Hand amulet from the crash site.

Be sure to travel to Dernholm and Black Root before heading to Tarant.

If you plan on thieving, don't kill Lucan at the Shrouded Hills bridge. Instead, persuade him (you only need one rank, and maybe Apprentice level) and he'll give you an in with the Thief Underground in Tarant and Caladon.

As a gunfighter, hoard the following items: saltpeter/charcoal (for bullets), looking glasses, marksman rifles, mithril, charges, and corrosive acid. Everything else can be found pretty easily.

If you want Worthless Mutt in your party, then as soon as you arrive in Ashbury for the first time, get to the east side of the inn (SE part of town) and rescue him from the gnome kicking him to death. If you take too long, Mutt will die.

You'll need three ranks of pick locks and Expert level in it before it'll be feasible to steal from shopkeepers. With a good starting Dexterity, you should be able to achieve this before reaching Tarant (as there's an Expert trainer in Black Root).

The easiest way to steal from shopkeepers is to wait in their store until evening, then wait two more hours. They'll head for the bedroom, where the barrel with all their merch is, and you can just follow them in. Then, be sure to enter prowl mode (you don't need any ranks in it) while picking the lock on their stash, which will usually be a chest or barrel near their bed. This is the only way to rob stores with guards, inside or outside.

Some shopkeepers never sleep, which means you can never rob them.

As a tech, you'll eventually be barred from trading with mages. You can still steal from them, though.

As a thief, don't waste too many points on pickpockets. It's ineffective for largescale theft because you can only pickpocket 100gp from someone at a time, and the level bonuses aren't all that great. I tend to save up my fate points for the like 4 times the game needs me to pick a pocket.

In Roseborough, speak to everyone in the inn. One of them will help you find a bridge that's crucial to travel on that side of the continent.

Make sure you have (and are possibly wearing) the Molochean Hand amulet before entering T'sen Ang

Keep one of these items on you throughout the game: shovel, mithril, kathorn crystal, and heartstone

If you have more specific questions about the firearm/thief build, let me know. I'm pretty familiar with it.

Edit:

As a gunfighter/thief, pump your Dexterity to about 13 or 15 (enough to reach expert level in Pick Locks). Ignore melee, and possibly even dodge. Boost your perception up to a natural 17 so you can advance firearms quickly, as you'll suffer without a decent melee attack. DX is crucial, though, so that you can steal guns, bullets and armor.

Your best weapons will probably be the Fine Revolver, then the Repeater Rifle, then the Hand Cannon, which you'll eventually replace with Droch's Warbringer. Those will pretty much slice through any enemy you're likely to encounter. After that, you should be a high enough level to make the crazy ones like the Tesla gun or the Acid Gun.

Astfgl fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 17, 2009

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Pyruvate posted:

They count as a witness if you do this instead of using a syringe.

Not if you sneak up on them without letting them see you. I think.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

Don't try too hard to make the game do what you want. You have very little actual control over the character and it only expects you to push a button here and there every few seconds to watch the results play out on screen.

McKracken posted:

Royal and Knight are the easiest starting classes. Play at a slow pace, be aware of your surroundings and don't button mash in combat. You'll die a lot in the first level but the game gets easier as you get better at it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What can you tell me about the Item World pirates in Disgaea 2 and why their maps are so important?

edit: What is the best way to get each map?
What is the fastest way to get felonies as I heard it is a slow process.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 16, 2009

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dr Snofeld posted:

Not if you sneak up on them without letting them see you. I think.

I don't have it installed atm, but I'm pretty sure that they do, since I tried to be thrifty with my syringes in the operahouse level and did the human shield/knockout on the workman in the bathroom at the beginning, and it counted as a witness, but when I used a syringe it didn't. There may be instances where that's not the case though.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Scalding Coffee posted:

What can you tell me about the Item World pirates in Disgaea 2 and why their maps are so important?

Collect all 16 and you get access to the Land of Carnage, which pretty much just ramps the difficulty up of any map you access from it. Also the enemies inside the maps' item worlds tend to be pretty high (200+) and a lot of people reload for invincibility/reverse damage tiles so they can kill/rob high-level guys easily.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

McKracken posted:

Demon's Souls
Not true. When you're in body form, players within 10 levels of you (at first, the range expands eventually) *can* break into your game to try to murder you, but under most circumstances, the worst they can do is cause you to drop the unspent souls you have on hand and/or bang up your equipment. They can't steal items found on the ground (unless you drop them out of your inventory or fail to pick them up due to encumberance) or kill your non-hostile NPCs. And even if they defeat you, you can recover the souls you dropped as long as you can make it to where you died before dying again.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 16, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Astfgl posted:

awesome advice

Great, thanks for the write-up! What about other companions? I'm not going to be outright evil but I'm no saint either, being a thief and all.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
anyone know if prince of persia, the 360 version, is worth finishing? so far it has sucked, not as fun as the first one was, the battle system sucks, and you basically just follow a path the whole time. Story is horrible so far.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

edit: What is the best way to get each map?
What is the fastest way to get felonies as I heard it is a slow process.

Don't. It takes forever to get all of the map peices, to build up felonies, and all that poo poo. The grind is far worse than what Disgaea 1 ever threw at you.

Barring that, here's the run down for getting map peices:
  • There are sixteen pirate groups and each one has one map peice. Getting the map peice from that group means you can never get a map peice from that pirate group again.

• Pirates can show up in the first three turns of any item world level. Don't move on to the next level until you're sure no pirates (who you haven't taken the map peice from) will show up.

• Pirate groups have a minimum depth before they'll even consider showing up. Some only show up deeper than level 20 in the item world, others after level 80, ect. . Check Gamefaqs for what pirate groups show up when, keep track of what pirate groups you've gotten the map peice from, and only stick around on floors where there's a chance a new pirate group will show up.

• Do runs in low level items. When you're on level 80 and a Pirate Z shows up its level will be huge (2000 minimum iirc), and the last thing you need is a new pirate to show up that you can't kill (or worse, die after collecting map peices).

It still takes a bucketload of luck to get all sixteen pirate groups to show up. Ambling Priates are all over the drat place and all you get is a higher level version of every map in the game, a new item world where you can get rank 40 items, three new characters (with no felonies or stored levels and you can only use them in the World of Carnage), and access to Baal.

As for felonies, you can transfer Bailiffs from Subpeonas to other items. Portals to the court appear on the item world level that is the Bailiff's level. So if you put a bunch of low (but different) level bailiffs in some item, you can go to the court multiple times in one spin of the item world. Also make sure you get a tower of people into the portal and they'll all get the felonies that the bailiff gives. It is still as slow as hell though, each felony only gives 1% bonus EXP and you can't even see the real felony count of a character as what you see is limited to 99.

(yes I am bitter that I got all 16 map peices and I am even more bitter I lost my save with it)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

casual poster posted:

anyone know if prince of persia, the 360 version, is worth finishing? so far it has sucked, not as fun as the first one was, the battle system sucks, and you basically just follow a path the whole time. Story is horrible so far.

If you don't like it, it's just more of the same. I personally loved it, but that was because it wasn't "gamey", and I totally understand not liking it. If you're not having a good time with it yet, there's really nothing to change your mind down the road.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Anything for Yakuza?

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Nocturne Sabre posted:

Great, thanks for the write-up! What about other companions? I'm not going to be outright evil but I'm no saint either, being a thief and all.

Right off the bat, how many companions you travel with will depend on two things:

1. How high your Charisma is. I imagine, since you said you were playing a persuasive thief, that this won't be an issue for you. Besides allowing you to have a larger party, eventually getting the Master level in persuasion will open up ALL the companions for you, even ones who wouldn't join because of differing value sets.

2. How slowly you want to gain levels. I say this because the more companions you have, the less XP you get. (Remember, you gain XP via combat by hitting AND killing enemies, and usually more from the hitting than the killing. Thus, the more hitters there are in a party, the less hits you're likely to get in before the monster dies.) Large parties will be useful at first when you're weak, but once your firearms skill starts to soar, I recommend reducing to two or even one. Your mileage may vary.

Anyway, aside from all that, here are some of the better companions available to you, along with where to find them, what to expect, and some spoiled stuff which may also affect your decision:

- Virgil: Joins right away but can get annoying. The free healing is useful, but as a techie you'll eventually become immune to it. Virgil will eventually disappear from your party in the Caladon cemetery. You can find him in the basement of the Sobbing Onion (?) and his stats may or may not have changed depending on his alignment at the time.

- Sogg Mead Mugg: Inn, Shrouded Hills. Solid melee fighter, and decent packhorse. You need 9 charisma for him to join. I rarely take Sogg.

- Jayna Stiles: One of the huts on the outskirts of S Dernholm. Basically the female, tech version of Virgil. She can make healing salve for you, and learns from the Herbology & Therapeutics disciplines. I keep all the healing salve in my inventory otherwise she burns through it too fast auto-healing the party. Pretty much essential for any tech character, with or without Virgil. I usually take Jayna.

- Vollinger: King's Head (?) Pub/Inn in Dernholm. Learns from the Gunsmithy & Chemistry schools. Some people like him, I don't. You can't control point allocation for companions, and Vollinger tends not to focus on combat skills, leaving him incredibly vulnerable in almost every encounter. He won't join you if you're too low-level, and he's mildly evil. Also, he's secretly working for the Molochean Hand and will eventually try to kill you. I rarely take Vollinger.

- Magnus: 44 Devonshire Way, Tarant. Unless you piss him off immensely, Magnus will join readily enough (just don't ask him about his name, and take his side vs. the Schuylers). He learns schematics from the Smithy & Mechanics disciplines. He's a decent fighter but nothing special. The real reason to keep him is because he's eventually revealed to be the last heir of the lost dwarven Iron Clan, which is especially cool of you have Loghaire in your party. Magnus may leave if you're too evil. I almost always take Magnus.

- Gar: H.T. Parnell's, Tarant. You need two ranks of persuasion for Gar to join, and a decent intelligence as well. Gar is a decent melee fighter, and don't forget that he takes human-sized armor, not large-sized. Also, if you want Gar never tell him, even at first, that you're giving him his freedom as he'll disappear and never return. Gar is great with evil characters for this reason--he's bascially your slave and can't leave. I usually take Gar.

- Tollo: The Pit, Dernholm. You have to be evil to get Tollo, and you have to shame him into staying with the party. After that, he's a good melee fighter, and a nice change of pace from all the orcs and ogres. If I'm evil, I always grab Tollo.

- Thorvald: Isle of Despair. You need 3 ranks of persuasion and you need to be level 22 or higher for Thorvald to join. He's a great fighter (strength of 22) but he'll only travel with you temporarily. Return him to the Wheel Clan quickly or he'll disappear. Obviously, never give him anything you don't want to lose, and unequip him before entering the Wheel Clan tunnels. I usually don't bother with Thorvald.

- Loghaire: Wheel Clan. You have to (1) have high enough intelligence (don't have a number, sorry) to ask his son, Randver, about the Shape and the Stone AND Lorek the Abjurer; (2) find Loghaire and use what you learned from Randver to convince him to return to the throne; (3) find out what actually happened to the Black Mountain Clan, at which point you have to come back and tell Loghaire and convince him to join you. It's actually all a pretty awesomely-written storyline, and well worth the time you invest in it. I always go for Loghaire.

- Sebastian: The Boil (but he'll only appear after you've visited Caladan). To get Sebastian, you need to talk to Mr. Willoughsby (the Persuasion Master) and ask him about cleaning up The Boil. Sebastian learns Electric & Explosive schematics. He's a good companion, but if you're a tech you may already have put points in one or both of those disciplines, making Sebastian unnecessary. I rarely take Sebastian.

Those are the ones I consider worth going for, based on what you're doing. There are a lot more evil companions (Torian Kel, Z'an Alurin, Geoffrey Tarellond-Ashe, etc.) but they're very magic-centric.

One last thing to note when I say a character learns schematics, I mean to say he or she will learn the first four schematics in that school and that's it. Even if you've removed the level cap, companions will never learn more than 4 schematics in a discipline.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

CloseFriend posted:

Eh, I'm the OP and I think it's good to say it, just because there are some games that I think are functionally pointless to play without a guide...

I had a feeling that my wording was unclear; I should've said "I think it's appropriate to suggest a guide when necessary." I'm pretty sure Persona 4 would've been impossible for me without a guide to consult and you're right--there are plenty of games that you need a guide for. Ever play SaGa Frontier? I'd be an rear end in a top hat if I pretended that I figured out how to complete all the quests on my own. I remember buying that game in 1998. I didn't have the Internet yet, so I went to the public library to use what seemed like the only computer in the tiny rural town to have Internet access and saved walkthroughs as .txt files on a 3.5" floppy disk. gently caress, I just found out that iPhone owners can literally watch walkthrough videos on YouTube on their phones as they play if they get stuck. If you'd told me that we'd be able to do that in the future a decade ago I probably would've laughed and said, "That'll never happen!"

"Olden days" stories aside, if someone suggests consulting a guide before starting a game, they're probably right.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>

projecthalaxy posted:

Anything for Yakuza?

It's not a difficult game but anyway:

-Buy dog food at Don Quixote as soon as possible (extreme South of the map)
-You can easily miss the martial arts master who can teach you new moves: Komaki Soutarou. He is in the Purgatory park.
-Try to complete at least once all the tournaments in the purgatory. You will gain massive money and experience.
-Make sure to check in the options, the "press start to pass scenes" it might sounds stupid but the game is heavily narrated and dying will sometimes force you to re-watch some cutscenes.
-Make sure to always have some Stamina X, Stamina XX and Royal with you. It can ALWAYS be useful.
-Kotobuki Pharmacy located near the center of the map in Taihei Street sells the best health kits.
-Controls in combat can get REALLY clunky, the backward kick learned from Komaki Soutarou will save your life, as will the R1 + X Dodging movement.
-Some items can be used as protection like bullet proof vests or chainmail. Don't forget to equip them.
-Yakuzas don't kill people, guns do. In the last quarter of the game, some mobsters in the enemy groups will usually be equipped with guns. Disarm them as quick as possible, otherwise you will suffer greatly and they will constantly annoy you during close combat fights.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'd just like to mention that in Demon's Souls, if you're planning to be a magic user, choose the royal character. They have the lowest starting soul level, but they begin with a ring that recovers mp automatically. You can find this ring eventually (in 3-2, after cutting down the heart), but beginning with it makes magic-using so much more viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Random Hajile posted:

Not true. When you're in body form, players within 10 levels of you (at first, the range expands eventually) *can* break into your game to try to murder you, but under most circumstances, the worst they can do is cause you to drop the unspent souls you have on hand and/or bang up your equipment. They can't steal items found on the ground (unless you drop them out of your inventory or fail to pick them up due to encumberance) or kill your non-hostile NPCs. And even if they defeat you, you can recover the souls you dropped as long as you can make it to where you died before dying again.

What I specifically read was that black phantoms can attack some sort of certain enemy which drops special loot and then take that item drop for themselves.

I was just wondering if that's a hypothetical situation or if people will actively do that sort of thing.