Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

blinkeve1826 posted:

It's a condenser mic, and the compressor doesn't have phantom power. I'm using the compressor mainly for the noise gate (I'm not satisfied with any noise removal plug-ins).
Gates are one of the few things I've literally never heard anyone complain about when it comes to plug-ins (some people still insist on Drawmer 201s, but those people aren't satisfied with any other analog gates either). Have you tried using a gate plug-in instead of a noise removal one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi
Ok I fixed the ASIO4ALL problem in some way. I'm not sure how I did it, but I fooled around with the inputs and outputs and now its labeled as "Stereo."

1karus posted:

Also on your FTP recording problem, have you tried going into the M-Audio mixer and setting both channels to center on your fader?
How would I go about doing this?

One more little tidbit: When i press the monitor button in my channel, it only gives me sound from my guitar AS LONG as Amplitube is put as an insert---no other vsts will take the dry signal from my guitar and "Amplify" it so to speak. Could this be related to my problem? Is it possible it could be my guitar?

EDIT: Pictures of what I'm experiencing, to further clarify so you guys get a better idea. I'm beginning to get desperate...

Click here for the full 1280x800 image.

Ramseyk fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 12, 2009

do it to julia
Jun 19, 2009

by Fistgrrl
What's a good program for doing live layering? I'm wondering if there's a program out there that can run automated instructions to record live loops, repeat them for a certain number of times, then drop them when I want them to.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

blinkeve1826 posted:

It's a condenser mic, and the compressor doesn't have phantom power. I'm using the compressor mainly for the noise gate (I'm not satisfied with any noise removal plug-ins).
First off, check out some other plugins, as wixard suggested.

If you are set on using the hardware unit, one way to do it would be to record your track, burn the recording to CD or a digital player, then run the output from the player into your compressor, then your compressor into your apogee input.

Another option is to route the recorded track to one of the outputs, send the output to the compressor, then the compressor to an input and record it (I believe this is what you suggested). The problem with this is you will only be able to monitor the one track that you are compressing, rather than the entire mix. Also, you won't be able to have speakers connected to the duet while you're using the compressor this way unless you use some sort of audio splitter (the headphone jack will work either way though).

Depending on how often you use it and how you use it, there might be a lot of cable swapping involved, so in the end it might be less of a pain to bounce your recordings to a digital player or just use a plug-in.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died

Ramseyk posted:

How would I go about doing this?

I've never used Cubase before, but I meant the actual interface control panel for the Fast Track Pro. I'd like to think it would look something similar to the control panel for my Firewire Solo.

As you can see, analog channels 1 and 2 (XLR and 1/4 input) are both set to center.

I hope this might have helped.

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi

1karus posted:

I've never used Cubase before, but I meant the actual interface control panel for the Fast Track Pro. I'd like to think it would look something similar to the control panel for my Firewire Solo.

As you can see, analog channels 1 and 2 (XLR and 1/4 input) are both set to center.

I hope this might have helped.

Unfortunately, this picture won't load for me. I know its a hassle, but if you could upload another picture on waffleimages that would be great... Regardless, the Fast Track Pro control panel does not have an option like this. This is the only control panel and what it looks like:

The latency tab is just a normal meter that you can change the buffer and stuff.

Any other suggestions :(?

EDIT: Just saw your picture, and it doesn't seem that my m-audio has an interface like that. I looked all over and that control panel is all I got.

Ramseyk fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 12, 2009

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Ramseyk posted:

EDIT: Just saw your picture, and it doesn't seem that my m-audio has an interface like that. I looked all over and that control panel is all I got.

In your system tray there is a red and white icon (not the ati one, the other one). Double clicking that should bring up the M-Audio control panel.

It could be that its input faders are all the way down; I've run into this before.

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi

mr_package posted:

In your system tray there is a red and white icon (not the ati one, the other one). Double clicking that should bring up the M-Audio control panel.

It could be that its input faders are all the way down; I've run into this before.

You misunderstood me, that IS the panel. That's all there is. Double Clicking that icon brings up this panel (the picture).

Lank
Sep 16, 2002

WHERE IS THE CHANCELLOR?!

Hi guys,

First of all, please don't laugh. I've done a lot of research to try to figure out what I need to do here but I want some reassurance.

I'm thinking about picking up a microKorg and I need to know what modifications I'd need to make to my current setup to be able to properly record with it on my PC.

Right now I only have an old M-Audio Fast Track with 1x1/4" input on it. I got it for recording my guitar and mic a while ago and it worked fine since those are monaural sources (is that a correct way of describing it?). The microKorg has stereo output via 2x1/4" jacks (and a third stereo 1/4 headphone jack) and considering the awesome panning and sounds it can make I'm assuming I'd be doing it an injustice if I hooked it up mono.

There are two things I want to do with this

1. Be able to record into my PC in ACID along with other backing tracks laid down. I already do this with my guitar and mic so the software part isn't where I'm confused.
2. Be able to just jam and mess around with it on my home theater speakers since they're way better than my PC system and in a more comfortable room. :)

Current thoughts on #1
After scouring the web I found that the fast track I have doesn't accept stereo input through a it's single 1/4" plug. So it looks like I need a new USB interface to accomplish #1 in stereo, or I could just use a 1/4->1/8 stereo converter I have and plug it directly into the line-in on my computer's sound card. But that's kind of a bad approach right? I know I'd get better sound using the fast track but without stereo I don't see the point.

So that means I need to get a different audio interface (USB or firewire whatever I don't really care) that has multiple 1/4" inputs? I was looking at this Alesis one and it seems to fit the needs but I have no idea what names are reputable or if I'd be getting too litte / too much for what I want to do. I'm not any kind of a pro musician nor do I plan on it so I don't want to break the bank. I've just always had music in my life as a creative outlet and have moved from instrument to instrument over the years. When I bought the fast track originally a few years ago I had no idea I'd ever be considering getting an instrument with stereo output so that's why I didn't get something with multiple inputs from the start.

Is that Alesis a decent product or is there something else I should be considering? Would I set each of the inputs to a left and right channel in the same recording slot somehow? Am I thinking about this the right way?

Current thoughts on #2
Can I just get 2 x 1/4 male to RCA male cables and plug the microKorg directly into a pair of L/R RCA inputs on the back on my receiver? (It's an Onkyo 605 and i have a poo poo ton of open inputs) It sounds simple enough and would be fun but I don't know if that's the way to do it or if the sound would be too quiet or whatever. Again, I'm retarded.

So there's my thought process on all of this. I apologize if it's all basic stuff but I have 0 experience with stereo output from a single instrument so I'm lost. I just want to make beep boop noises to annoy my wife. :)

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

That Alesis unit should have you covered, and you won't find one much cheaper. My only concern would be drivers, having never used any Alesis interfaces myself. I would peruse their support forums and see if there are any obvious recurring driver problems (you should really do this before purchasing any interface IMO), of course keeping in mind that you're always going to see some driver problems in the support forums. You really don't need the most awesome interface to record sources like keyboards well because the weakest link in budget interfaces, the preamps, are less important when there's no microphone involved. You won't need to add a whole lot of gain to get decent levels into your computer with a MicroKorg, thus lovely preamps don't have as much opportunity to screw up your sound.

You could use RCA -> 1/4" adapters to plug it into your stereo. However, when you do it turn your stereo's main volume to where you usually have it for CDs, turn your MicroKorg all the way down before plugging it in and then slowly bring the volume up on the keyboard until it gets to a level you want. Consumer gear is technically a different "line level" output than professional music gear like keyboards, and the pro stuff sends out significantly more voltage at full volume. All home theater gear is designed to use the consumer kind (-10dBV as opposed to pro audio's +4dBu), which you can emulate by trimming your keyboard's output volume.

outerheaven11
Apr 10, 2008
I recently switched to using a newer computer for my DAW setup and ever since the change I get sporadic and random pops and bits of static here or there when playing back audio, whether in Ableton, Winamp, or really anything.

Old computer:

AMD64 2.0 Ghz
1 GB DDR PC 3200 RAM
160 GB IDE HD

Newer computer:

Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz
2 GB DDR2 PC2 3200 RAM
750 GB SATA HD

Audio is handled by an M-Audio FastTrack Ultra on both setups. I never had pops or hisses with the old computer, only with the new one. Is there anything I can do about this?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

outerheaven11 posted:

Audio is handled by an M-Audio FastTrack Ultra on both setups. I never had pops or hisses with the old computer, only with the new one. Is there anything I can do about this?
What motherboard do you have in the new computer?

outerheaven11
Apr 10, 2008
The computer is a Dell Dimension 5100, here are the mobo specs:

Intel Pentium 4 LGA775 processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology.
Socket: LGA775 Supporting Pentium 4 5XX/6XX Processors 2.8-3.8 GHz
FSB: 800/1066Mhz System Bus
Expansion Slots: PCI Express x16 x 1 / PCI Express x1 x 1 / PCI x 2
Chipset: Intel 945G
Other Features: Hyper-Threading Technology Support
Connectors: (5 - Back - 2 Front) USB 2.0 Ports, 10/100 Network LAN
Peripheral Interface: (2) Serial ATA (SATA) Interface
Other: One IDE Channel Supporting ATA-66/100/133 and One Floppy Port
Video: Onboard Intel 950 Graphics Accelerator + 1X16 PCI Express Slot and
Audio: 5.1 Surround Sound Audio Ports
Supported Memory: DDR2 400/533Mhz
Maximum Memory: 4 Dual Channel DIMM Support for up to 4 GB of memory

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

outerheaven11 posted:

Make sure you've got the latest drivers for your motherboard.

Take a look at the DPC Latency Checker (it's a free download), it can help you pinpoint things on your system that might be generating excessive CPU load. I was getting all sorts of pops and dropouts with my Fireface, that ended up being on account of the drivers for my generic $20 wireless card.

Otach
Jan 6, 2007
YTMND / SA goer
Hello, I work in FL studio, making experimental tracks.. but my lovely 40$ mic from best buy just isn't gonna cut it with vocals. I've been thinking about buying a cheap condenser mic to get started on my EP.. and I've never really done anything dealing with microphones before.

I'm a male and my voice is a bit above the mid range, but not quite as high as let's say Craig Owens or Anthony Green. I still have a bit of bass when I use my chest voice.

I had narrowed down a couple of microphones, and the ones I'm looking at are the AT2020 USB mic, or the AT3035 non-USB mic. The AT2020 seems like less of an investment, but I heard you can get much better results if you buy a non-USB mic, along with an interface.

What are the basic things I will need If I wind up buying the AT3035?

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...55725725&sr=8-1

My sound card is a Creative SoundBlaster X-fi XtremeMusic. I know I will probably need an audio interface of some sort.. but what do I go with? A USB audio interface? Should I figure out a way to plug in directly into my sound card? Do I need phantom power? How complex/expensive of an audio interface do I really need at first?

Lank
Sep 16, 2002

WHERE IS THE CHANCELLOR?!

wixard posted:

:words:

Thanks bud.

Good point about slowly bringing the levels up. Hadn't thought of that. The last thing I'd want to do is blow my entire system 5 minutes after hooking up.

blintoh
Aug 29, 2006

Oh lord its doing it on the carpet.
I'm probably buying a condenser microphone in the next day or two, and I'm seeking some advice. I originally had planned to get the Rode NT2-A. However, I'm not sure if it would be worth it to spend some more and get the Rode NT2000. Is there much of a difference? In that range, should I be going with an entirely different mic?

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

I'm running Windows 7 x64 and I'm about to purchase some recording equipment. I have a MobilePre USB, but it's not compatible with Windows 7 yet. Regardless, I really wasn't happy with the sound quality or latency of the MobilePre. I want to go with Firewire this time. I also want to make sure everything is compatible with Win7 x64.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good Firewire interface with good drivers? If anyone has a recommendation for a good DAW for Win7 x64 I would also appreciate it.

edit://today MOTU released Windows 7 drivers, definitely leaning that way now

Houston Rockets fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 21, 2009

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If the device has Vista x64 drivers, it should work fine with Win7 x64.

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

Splinter posted:

If the device has Vista x64 drivers, it should work fine with Win7 x64.

You would think so, but people have been having endless problems with audio interfaces and Vista drivers. My MobilePre doesn't even work with the Vista drivers.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Fast Track Pro is working right now on my 7 64-bit machine. Apparently, Presonus Firebox will once it's "officially released"

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

CRKramer posted:

I'm probably buying a condenser microphone in the next day or two, and I'm seeking some advice. I originally had planned to get the Rode NT2-A. However, I'm not sure if it would be worth it to spend some more and get the Rode NT2000. Is there much of a difference? In that range, should I be going with an entirely different mic?

I have a couple of NT2-As. They're the first and only condenser mics I have bought so I can't offer much of a comparison but I am extremely pleased with them, I've got really nice results out of them recording vocals and acoustic guitar. That said, they do seem to work slightly better for male vocals than female. If they're a home setup, I'd probably say save the cash and go for them, although I'm sure someone will have had experience with both and will be able to give you a better answer.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Houston Rockets posted:

You would think so, but people have been having endless problems with audio interfaces and Vista drivers. My MobilePre doesn't even work with the Vista drivers.
Ahh that's too bad. FWIW, my MOTU Ultralite mk3 works great with Win7 x64, and that's using the Vista drivers. The Ultralite is great if you're willing to spend the money. It's main downside is it is more responsive to low level conflicts and hiccups on the PCI Bus (or maybe the Southbridge?) than most of the cheaper interfaces. For instance, what might cause a barely noticeable dropout on a Firebox would cause a short drop followed by a short high pitched noise with the Ultralite. That might sound bad, but if your computer is optimized for audio it will be fine.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Houston Rockets posted:

If anyone has a recommendation for a good DAW for Win7 x64 I would also appreciate it.

Sonar and Reaper seem to be the best choices right now.

Ableton Live might run okay, but it's still 32 bit and is not officially supported on 64 bit OS.

The last I heard, Cubase was maybe hit or miss, especially if you were mixing 64 and 32 bit plugins.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

CRKramer posted:

I have a pair of NT2s, I've compared them to the 2000s and the NTK and honestly like the NT2s better. I've been recording a friend's italidisco project, and mind you he's an amazing vocalist so he sounds good through almost any mic, but I've used a KSM44 on most of the tracks but switched with an NT2 here and there and haven't noticed any appreciable difference. Is it the same as a KSM44? No, but it's got a good sound that doesn't stick out when compared to one.

blintoh
Aug 29, 2006

Hmm...You posted that right after I ordered an NT2000 (based on what random people have said over the internet). I might go and pick up an NT2-A at GC or somewhere and then test each one to see which one I like better and just return the other one. The thing is, I am buying so immediately because of a promo code that ends tonight (saved about $120 on an NT2000) so I might buy an NT2-A off of MF right now.

What did you like more about the NT2's as compared to the NT2000's? I think that they changed capsules from the NT2 to the NT2-A/2000 so that might might factor into it.

EDIT: Buying the NT2-A also. Probably best to test it for myself anyways.

blintoh fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 22, 2009

SlippyHat
May 25, 2003

Delicious!
I mentioned this in the latest Rockstar thread but, since we're talking about NT2s, I might as well ask here:

I'm likely looking to replace my AT2020 for recording vocals. I'm by no means a good vocalist, but I find that the AT2020 is yielding a really flat, tinny sound. People in the same room are amazed when they hear the recorded version of what I've just sung: it lacks any and all nuance.

Some of it, I'm sure, is my room treatment (since I'm just recording in the spare bedroom, with no room treatment) but I'm curious to try out different mics. Are there specific mics that people would recommend for vocals, in the $1-300 range? I realize that's not asking for much, but you never know. :)

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

SlippyHat posted:

Some of it, I'm sure, is my room treatment (since I'm just recording in the spare bedroom, with no room treatment) but I'm curious to try out different mics. Are there specific mics that people would recommend for vocals, in the $1-300 range? I realize that's not asking for much, but you never know. :)

Rode NT1-A's sound pretty nice on vocals, and I believe they are around $250. You should really try to set up some kind of isolation area though, there's not much point in buying a large diaphragm condenser and using it in a crappy sounding bedroom. A small closet stuffed with various fluffy blankets would suffice, or if you wanted to spend a little money get some 6" pink insulation and line the walls and ceiling with it- instant isolation booth. You'd be surprised how much better any mic will sound without a layer of muddy bedroom reverb on every track.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
I didn't see this thread when I posted this question in the guitar thread but this is probably a better place to ask as you guys would have more experience with the product I am curious about. Here is my question:

My friend gave me his guitar while he lives in Germany for two years. I would like to gently caress around and learn it but I don't really care about buying an amp now. I have seen devices like this: Line 6 Pod Studio UX1. Can I use this instead of an amp? I have pretty good speakers attached to my computer: Audioengine A2's, so I don't think my speakers will make the guitar sound awful. I don't care about recording but I'd like to just gently caress around with amps and stuff while I try to learn the guitar. Can I just monitor the sound with that device and learn the basics of guitar playing with it?

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

CRKramer posted:

Hmm...You posted that right after I ordered an NT2000 (based on what random people have said over the internet). I might go and pick up an NT2-A at GC or somewhere and then test each one to see which one I like better and just return the other one. The thing is, I am buying so immediately because of a promo code that ends tonight (saved about $120 on an NT2000) so I might buy an NT2-A off of MF right now.

What did you like more about the NT2's as compared to the NT2000's? I think that they changed capsules from the NT2 to the NT2-A/2000 so that might might factor into it.

EDIT: Buying the NT2-A also. Probably best to test it for myself anyways.
Might wanna cancel one, last time I checked you couldn't return used microphones for public health reasons. I know that's the GC and Sam Ash policy...

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

wixard posted:

Might wanna cancel one, last time I checked you couldn't return used microphones for public health reasons. I know that's the GC and Sam Ash policy...

No that's just what we'd say to avoid losing the sale to a return. If someone at GC pulls that line on you just laugh and ask them if they've ever heard of these things called sound companies where they rent and reuse microphones all the time.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I want to buy a Mac to run Logic on. The new 27" iMacs are awesome but they are also humongous. I'm concerned they will be a bit much (or maybe I am just afraid of the awesome). the 21.5"s are nice too but I'm used to a 24" monitor and am afraid I will miss the screen real estate. What is the best option? Mac Pros seem cool but really expensive and hell, it'd be nice to not have to have a big box sitting there full of computer. Would a Macbook Pro plugged into the 24" monitor be good? Or will that get expensive (and unwieldy) as well, and if I'm going that route I may as well get the 27" iMac? Should I look into a previous-gen 24" iMac? I'm not going to do anything crazy but I'd love a system that would be really fast and responsive and would let me feel free to use lots of softsynths and digital effects and still be snappy.

Also, will my MBox Mini work fine with Logic?

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

RivensBitch posted:

No that's just what we'd say to avoid losing the sale to a return. If someone at GC pulls that line on you just laugh and ask them if they've ever heard of these things called sound companies where they rent and reuse microphones all the time.
I dunno, it's pretty clear in both of their published return policies either way. Not saying it's illegal for them to take them back, just saying you probably want to read the fine print either way.

In the case of a sound company you know it's used when you rent it. Reselling a mic as new when someone else's spit is hanging around in the windscreen is pretty rank, IMO.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Rashomon posted:

Also, will my MBox Mini work fine with Logic?

It should, though from what I've heard the Digi Core Audio drivers are a little temperamental. You might want to check to see if they've even been released for 10.6 yet.

blintoh
Aug 29, 2006

wixard posted:

That is a dumb policy. However, I ordered via musician's friend, and called customer service to make sure I could get a full refund and not just store credit. I asked an extremely long winded and specific question about returning, and it was answered with "yes", so I think I should be fine.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
Is there a source for CHEAP 1/4" instrument cables? I know that I won't get great quality, etc, but I don't want to pay $20 a cable; this is kind of a charity project for the school I work at.

There's an abandoned recording studio at my school that I'm trying to get into working order. The building is CB, and there's a control room and a recording room. Of course, it's 16 year old, and I think about 10 years ago, they stripped it. There are no wires running between the rooms anymore, and I'm trying to create a solution. I'm pretty sure there's conduit, but feeding a bunch of individual wires will be a PITA.

Isn't there something like a snake that has a multiport female box at the end, that could connect to the mixer in the control room? I can't find one on the main sites, and of course, I need to economize.

Thanks in advance.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
eBay, Amazon Marketplace

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Cock Inspector posted:

Is there a source for CHEAP 1/4" instrument cables? I know that I won't get great quality, etc, but I don't want to pay $20 a cable; this is kind of a charity project for the school I work at.

There's an abandoned recording studio at my school that I'm trying to get into working order. The building is CB, and there's a control room and a recording room. Of course, it's 16 year old, and I think about 10 years ago, they stripped it. There are no wires running between the rooms anymore, and I'm trying to create a solution. I'm pretty sure there's conduit, but feeding a bunch of individual wires will be a PITA.

Isn't there something like a snake that has a multiport female box at the end, that could connect to the mixer in the control room? I can't find one on the main sites, and of course, I need to economize.

Thanks in advance.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsguca.html These work for me.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Rashomon posted:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsguca.html These work for me.

You are awesome. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Cock Inspector posted:

Is there a source for CHEAP 1/4" instrument cables?

I think the cheapest way to get cables is to make them yourself. You can get the cable and the tips for far less than you would buy an assembled cable for, and it's not very difficult to put it all together. It does require some soldering but you can pick it up pretty quickly.