Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Noirex posted:

She did not answer if the puppies are AKC registered but did give me their vet's name. I also don't understand the part about her having the 'backing of Eukanuba'. She SOUNDS sincere, too bad about the backyard breeding :/

She did answer about AKC registration - since the dogs she bred came from a shelter they did not have their papers. And puppies will only be registered if their parents are. They also wouldn't be registered since, as nonanone said, the pups are mutts.

It's a bad sign that the dogs she's breeding are only dogs she owns. It means that they're litters of convenience. She's probably not really out to make a quick buck, and she is probably highly motivated to find her dogs good homes, but she is breeding her dogs irresponsibly.

Again, I want to stress how bad an idea it is that she did not health test her dogs before breeding. Guh.

Also, the "backing by Eukanuba" is something to be disregarded, as it means absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Ah yes I must have missed that bit about AKC because her original email was a lot longer than that, I guess she was trying to bury it under more useless information. There was something off about this girl but I couldn't put my finger on it so I really appreciate the great advice. I will definitely not be getting any animals from her.

My previous dogs were from shelters so this is the first time I've had to deal with BYB on Craigslist. I have been looking in shelters as well but there is a ton of sad cases on Craigslist and I thought that adopting from a family who needs to move, for example, would be another good way of rescuing a puppy in need. But man, it's been hard to filter through the genuine cases and breeders like her.

Would you advise not adopting dogs from Craigslist at all and sticking to shelters or I should just be extra careful and weed out the breeders? And if I do find a genuine owner looking to give up his pet for adoption, do I grill him with the same questions as I would a reputable breeder or is it too much information to expect the average pet owner to know?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I'm not a dog person but I'd say stick to shelters. Why encourage people to dump their pets irresponsibly? Going through a shelter you'll be more likely to get legitimate information on the dog's history, if not its pedigree. Plus they need the money to continue rescuing and rehoming animals. (I'm clearly assuming a best case scenario shelter, but better even a mediocre shelter than a craigslist idiot).

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Plus when you adopt from a good shelter, you know they've had their shots, a once-over by a vet and are spayed/neutered. It also opens up an available slot for people who want to rehome their pets, rather than sketchy CL ads.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Shelters will sometimes do courtesy listings for people on petfinder. It sounds like the best of both worlds for you, you can help out a family in need of re-homing, yet it's also been pre-screened by a shelter for legitimacy. Or just go to a good shelter/rescue.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

exactduckwoman posted:

I'm not a dog person but I'd say stick to shelters.

...and breed rescues! In my area, there are loads of husky breed rescues because they are one of the most commonly dumped breeds around. Most huskies (and similar breeds) in rescue were dumped in the midst of their adolescence and intact - you can benefit from someone else's ignorance and end up with a healthy young dog in its prime.

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem
You would think that woman, if she is so passionate about rescuing and shelters, and acknowledges a lot of rescues end up because of BYB people having too many litters, wouldn't have managed to have three 'just happen'. How can anyone let three litters just happen? What would she think would come of not having her dogs fixed?

Maybe she totally means well but there is a lot of stupidity there.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

CagedLiberty posted:

You would think that woman, if she is so passionate about rescuing and shelters, and acknowledges a lot of rescues end up because of BYB people having too many litters, wouldn't have managed to have three 'just happen'. How can anyone let three litters just happen? What would she think would come of not having her dogs fixed?

Maybe she totally means well but there is a lot of stupidity there.

Apparently her first litter "just happened" and the next two were planned. Why she didn't speuter her dogs upon receiving them is a mystery to me.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
I have a Koi pond with 2 Koi and 2 massive goldfish. The filter is blown out and there is a leak in the liner. I can compensate for both by simply putting a garden hose in the pond on a timer for 8 minutes twice a day, but this isn't going to work in few weeks when the hose will start to freeze up. Even if I replace the pump so they don't asphyxiate during hibernation, they'll run out of water due to the leak.

I need an aquarium to hold my fish until I repair my pond, but I'm not sure how big it's supposed to be. I don't want to create stressfully overcrowded conditions.

Most of the fish are between 8 inches to a foot, with the big koi being a little bigger. How many gallons would I need? Where's the best place to get a tank?

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

diadem posted:

I have a Koi pond with 2 Koi and 2 massive goldfish. The filter is blown out and there is a leak in the liner. I can compensate for both by simply putting a garden hose in the pond on a timer for 8 minutes twice a day, but this isn't going to work in few weeks when the hose will start to freeze up. Even if I replace the pump so they don't asphyxiate during hibernation, they'll run out of water due to the leak.

I need an aquarium to hold my fish until I repair my pond, but I'm not sure how big it's supposed to be. I don't want to create stressfully overcrowded conditions.

Most of the fish are between 8 inches to a foot, with the big koi being a little bigger. How many gallons would I need? Where's the best place to get a tank?

You'd either need a very large tank or a few midrange sized tanks. Two fish each in 55-75 gallon tanks MIGHT be ok if it's not for an extended amount of time, or maybe all 4 in a 200gal? Someone else with more experience might be able to tell you for sure, but I have a 13 inch pleco in a 55 gal right now and it's really too small for him. Your fish need enough space to turn around easily, so if you end up going the tank route just keep that in mind.

You might be able to find some used ones on Craigslist, which would be the cheapest option. How long will you be keeping them in the tanks?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Noirex posted:

dumb girl

You better crack down on this woman and explain to her why she is dumb while you have the opportunity. :argh:

Noirex
May 30, 2006

^^^^
I will email her explaining why she's deluded if she thinks what she has been doing is the best for those poor puppies. I don't think she's intentionally bad hearted, just stupid. Maybe I can change her attitude? I can only wish.

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on the local shelters, please wish me luck!

Thank you, I did just that, I have also found a great website with lots of links to rescue groups :)
VVVV

Noirex fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 15, 2009

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Noirex posted:

Anyway, I would really appreciate if anyone is able to help me with finding good rescues and shelters for the Husky breed in the Atlanta area. I'm new to this state and have been Googling but so far, I haven't been very successful. I am aware of the Siberian Husky Club of America etc, but I would still rather adopt :sigh:

Contact the club and mention that you're looking to adopt - a lot of breed-specific rescues will file adoptable dogs with the clubs, and retired or nonviable show dogs can appear for adoption, as well.

You are extremely unlikely to find a purebred Husky puppy in a shelter, but rescues will likely be able to find you a young dog.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Noirex posted:

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on the local shelters, please wish me luck!

Where are you located? I have a great breeder in northern IL as well as a great rescue that we adopted our dog from. I think the breeder might not have any litters any time soon, but she'd give you good references. The rescue is Free Spirit Siberian Rescue, huskyrescue.org, and Karen, the director, will have good connections no matter where you live. She's really up on her rescue info, so she'd send you somewhere good.

My only other advise is to really make sure a husky is right for your situation. Do a poo poo-ton of research before getting this breed, because they really are a pain in the rear end, your dog WILL be smarter than you, and you probably have no idea what you're getting in to. Make sure you meet lots of different huskies and other sledding dogs before deciding to get one, they're not the right dog for 99% of people out there.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
^^^^ Yes yes. Research the hell out of Huskies. I had one growing up and I hated her. She was a sweet dog, well behaved, good in training, but just not my type of temperament. They are crazy weird dogs: more like cats. Except dumb cats, because I like cats.

Luckily, mom still loves and babies her crazy rear end dog.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Hady posted:

You'd either need a very large tank or a few midrange sized tanks. Two fish each in 55-75 gallon tanks MIGHT be ok if it's not for an extended amount of time, or maybe all 4 in a 200gal? Someone else with more experience might be able to tell you for sure, but I have a 13 inch pleco in a 55 gal right now and it's really too small for him. Your fish need enough space to turn around easily, so if you end up going the tank route just keep that in mind.

You might be able to find some used ones on Craigslist, which would be the cheapest option. How long will you be keeping them in the tanks?

edit: Holy crap you weren't kidding about craigslist. I just found a 150gal and 180gal tank bundle with the works (heater/filter/oak finish stand/etc) for $800 total.

diadem fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 16, 2009

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

diadem posted:

realistically i'd like to keep them over the winter. I'd like to say a temporary holding tank is an option while I fix the pond, but it needs to be fixed before the temperature drops below freezing and I don't see myself being able to do that promptly.

I don't mind separating the koi and goldfish to save money (but not 4 tanks, I don't want to make them be alone).

I'd go with 2 large tanks then, or maybe even a horse's water trough? Pretty much anything like that you could put a filter on would be ok as long as it gives them enough room. I'm not sure it would be wise to keep them in that for several months though.

edit to go with your last post: Check any tank you get on CL before buying it to make sure it holds water.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Hady posted:

I'd go with 2 large tanks then, or maybe even a horse's water trough? Pretty much anything like that you could put a filter on would be ok as long as it gives them enough room. I'm not sure it would be wise to keep them in that for several months though.

edit to go with your last post: Check any tank you get on CL before buying it to make sure it holds water.

Thanks. The seller already has the tanks filled and running so I can see them in action before I buy.

quote:

1) 150gallon tall. 4'x2'x30" high. Tank are standard, no drill, its oak trim with oak matching stand. Tank are in Excellent condition no scratch what so ever. Currently running freshwater. It come with lid, light, 2 hang on filter and 1 cascade canister filter keep my tank crystal clear, as well as 200watt heater. rock and gravel come with it. Asking for $400 Firm

2) 180gallon standard not drill. 6x2x2' oak trim with oak matching stand. come with lid, 200watt heater, rena canister xp3 filter, light, rock and gravel come with it. currently also running freshwater. Asking for $500 Firm.

Sounds like that might take a couple trips once he dumps the water out.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

diadem posted:

Thanks. The seller already has the tanks filled and running so I can see them in action before I buy.

Sounds like that might take a couple trips once he dumps the water out.

Sounds like a good deal to me though, since he's including the stands and gear as well. Maybe put the goldfish in the 150 and the koi in the 180?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Noirex posted:

husky stuff

That girl says she got both the parents as rescues (that she is breeding ugg) But I think that goes to show you might have good odds going the rescue route.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Hady posted:

Sounds like a good deal to me though, since he's including the stands and gear as well. Maybe put the goldfish in the 150 and the koi in the 180?

That's exactly what I'm thinking :). I'm going to check out the tanks 9am on Sat.

edit: Now all that remains if figuring out if the ~1.5 tons of weight is going to be a bit much for my floor (new construction) to handle or not. My house is raised - tall and narrow.

diadem fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 16, 2009

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Why do animals like cats and dogs lick each other? My sister and her boyfriend have two cats. One, Salem, who is a little over a year old and very high strung. They took in a stray to be his buddy when they realized that Salem needed a companion so he'd stop attacking us (playfully but very rough) and being destructive. Nibbler, who is around 6 months old and Salem are definitely buddies. Salem spends a lot of time grooming Nibbler, and sometimes Nibbler grooms him too.

Is it just what animals do when they snuggle? Is it possible that Salem has kind of adopted the kitten? Are animals just weird? I haven't been able to figure it out.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

ChairmanMeow posted:

That girl says she got both the parents as rescues (that she is breeding ugg) But I think that goes to show you might have good odds going the rescue route.

Where do you live that rescues send home intact animals? Here I believe it is illegal for any rescue agency to adopt an animal over 4 months of age without spaying or neutering it before releasing it to the adopter.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Noirex posted:

Sorry for the wall of text but I wanted to include the important things. She did not answer if the puppies are AKC registered but did give me their vet's name. I also don't understand the part about her having the 'backing of Eukanuba'. She SOUNDS sincere, too bad about the backyard breeding :/

The place a lot of people get tripped up when trying to identify what is and isn't a back yard breeder is the fact that a lot of BYBs are very nice people, from nice homes and treat their animals really well. It's not all tiny cages, filthy conditions and swift kicks if you don't reproduce. BYBs are just as often misinformed and ignorant people with good, yet misguided, intentions. Next time you email the girl ask where the parents and pup scores with The Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) on it's hips and Canine Eye Registry Foundation (CERF) for their eyes. Any breeder worth their salt would know the answer to that question. She'll have no clue and if she makes something up, ask for proof. When she says she doesn't have it ask her why she'd ever breed two animals that had the chance of not being in good health and then dare to try to charge people for them.

Husky illness info: http://www.shca.org/shcahp4d.htm

Noirex posted:

Would you advise not adopting dogs from Craigslist at all and sticking to shelters or I should just be extra careful and weed out the breeders? And if I do find a genuine owner looking to give up his pet for adoption, do I grill him with the same questions as I would a reputable breeder or is it too much information to expect the average pet owner to know?

Craigslist you have to be really vigilant with. With what you are looking for, to help a family out, I would stay away from anyone asking you to pay for their animal. It's their pet and should be taking care of him until a new adopter comes along, there shouldn't be a need for a rehoming fee like you'd do at a shelter. At a shelter that goes to cover medical costs, food etc. Anyone asking you for $250.00 is either selling byb pups or just trying to make a buck.

With craigslist you have to do a lot of leg work and communication to make sure the people you are getting the animal from are decent, ask for vet records, are they speutered etc. What's nice about a shelter, all that is done for you.

exactduckwoman posted:

I'm not a dog person but I'd say stick to shelters. Why encourage people to dump their pets irresponsibly?

How is going through Craits list dumping a pet irresponsibly? A lot of people use craigslists out of fear of an animal being put down at a county pound and/or if the no-kill shelters are full and aren't accepting new animals.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
I was wondering if someone could link me to something describing how a cat's eye pops out of its socket due to untreated infection in the eyes (this is what has been described to me as the reason). I keep seeing this at work (so far mostly in kittens), and they get enucleations done (or that surgery where they put one of the eyelids over the eye, any information on that?), and we got a really bad one today. I'd like to read about it, but I can't seem to find any information that could teach me more about this condition.

Oh, pictures for the curious.

:nms:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/carawombat/1016091551.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/carawombat/photo.jpg
:nms:

Also, is it bad that this absolutely does not gross me out?

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

Noirex posted:

I rescued them from a Shelter that had raided a puppy mill down in Florida I ended up getting an emergency call asking for help and I took in about 11 dogs and one of them was Simon (my sweetie!) Luckily I found wonderful homes for all of the other dogs and about 95% of the owners still keep in contact, I love that.

That was years and years ago and even though we know he is full blooded Siberian Husky we have no way of tracing his mother and father because of the awful situation.
Wit wait... did these two dogs she is BREEDING come from a raided puppy mill? She's breeding puppy-mill dogs? What a winner. I would avoid her at all costs, she may feel she's doing right but she's breeding mutts--if I read correctly--puppy mill mutts. (er, puppies are mutts, but it's possible the parents are as well, we used to have a Petland in the mall that sold mill dogs and some of their "purebreds" were obviously not).

mumblingscrapwaver
Dec 13, 2007

unnecessary complication
Paranoid question here - I was just making chili, which involved chopping a purple onion and two little serrano peppers. I tried really hard not to drop any because I have a piggy underfoot cat. But when I was done, I noticed he was all squinty. (So was I, honestly. It was a really strong onion.) He wasn't meowing or running from us or anything, but I know he was a little uncomfortable. He's since groomed a little bit and laid down for a nap, so I think maybe he just got a little bit of eye-burn from the fumes, and is now ok... but is there anything I should be looking for in case he actually got something in his eyes, or ate any of it?

Optilux
Feb 8, 2004
Gather unto Me, my children...We must all become as Light
Just got my cats spayed; one chews her stitches so is wearing a cone.

Only problem - when she takes a crap in the litter, she takes a look once she's done and twice today managed to smear poo poo all over her cone. Disgusting, and if I hadn't caught it that poo poo would have ended up on the walls and carpet and furniture throughout the flat.

I'm debating whether to lock her in the bathroom overnight (so if she smears poo poo everywhere it's just in the bathroom), or shutting her out of the bathroom overnight and hope she'll hold it in.

I'll have the same dilemma on Monday when I got work. Ideas?

I have read you can DIY alternatives to collars, like wrapping scarf thickly round the neck so the cat can't reach round - this would be less likely to pick up poo poo. Unfortunately I can't trust her without a collar because she really goes for those stitches,.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Does your litter box have a cover on it? Is so, taking it off might give her more room to move around and inspect her accomplishments. Is it a hard plastic cone? You can try to cut it down a bit if it's to long or get one of the cloth cones so it doesn't catch as much.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Hairball talk!

Anyone have experience with Veterinarian's Best Cat-Lube Hairball & Digestive Aid? My 7 month old kitten tries to cough up a hairball 2-3 times a month and nothing happens. My vet said to try some OTC hairball stuff, since he is eating well and has normal energy. I originally tried NaturVet Natural Hairball Aid Gel, as it was petrolatum free, and advertised that you could use it as a bonding experience as your kitty delightfully licks it off your fingers. Yeah right! Kleng hates the stuff, and shuns me for hours when I smear it on his paws/whiskerpads for him to lick off.

So I asked the guys at my indie pet store for advice, and they said to try the Cat Lube. And with a name like that, how could I resist! It's a wafer, that you crumble up and sprinkle over food. So I've done that, and Kleng has shown no difference, but my normal puke-face cat, Nyanko-chan, is now puking even more. She used to throw up undigested food once or twice a week, but now she's throwing up digested food daily!

Nyanko-chan is otherwise acting normally. I've only been using this Cat-Lube for 2 or 3 days, so maybe it's just upsetting her stomach. But I was hoping the "digestive aid" part would settle it instead.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Meow Cadet posted:

Hairball talk!

Anyone have experience with Veterinarian's Best Cat-Lube Hairball & Digestive Aid? My 7 month old kitten tries to cough up a hairball 2-3 times a month and nothing happens. My vet said to try some OTC hairball stuff, since he is eating well and has normal energy. I originally tried NaturVet Natural Hairball Aid Gel, as it was petrolatum free, and advertised that you could use it as a bonding experience as your kitty delightfully licks it off your fingers. Yeah right! Kleng hates the stuff, and shuns me for hours when I smear it on his paws/whiskerpads for him to lick off.

So I asked the guys at my indie pet store for advice, and they said to try the Cat Lube. And with a name like that, how could I resist! It's a wafer, that you crumble up and sprinkle over food. So I've done that, and Kleng has shown no difference, but my normal puke-face cat, Nyanko-chan, is now puking even more. She used to throw up undigested food once or twice a week, but now she's throwing up digested food daily!

Nyanko-chan is otherwise acting normally. I've only been using this Cat-Lube for 2 or 3 days, so maybe it's just upsetting her stomach. But I was hoping the "digestive aid" part would settle it instead.

I had good luck with it for Eowyn (I stopped using it several times and kept track of the difference to be sure it wasn't just a bias on my part). I found it was expensive though and wound up switching to adding 1/8th tsp of benefiber to her nighttime meal instead. Works just as well, costs a fraction of what the tablets did.

Off the fiber Eowyn will puke up at least 3-5 hairballs a week. With the fiber it's 1 a month or so. Of course she's also crazy and currently enjoys licking all her hair off....

You can just give them the tablets straight btw. No need to crumble them. They were Eowyn's favorite treat.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I adopted a 50lbs mutt/lapdog a few months back and just built a fence around my house. We have been taking him on walks 2, usually 3 times a day to do his business. He's been very hesitant to go #2 in the backyard. Do we just leave him out there until he figure it out? Should we be out there to encourage him? My husband took him out this afternoon, no luck, but walked him three houses down and BAM poop. Is there an easy way to get him to go - short of squeezing him like a mustard bottle to get him to go obviously. :)

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Gravitee posted:

I adopted a 50lbs mutt/lapdog a few months back and just built a fence around my house. We have been taking him on walks 2, usually 3 times a day to do his business. He's been very hesitant to go #2 in the backyard. Do we just leave him out there until he figure it out? Should we be out there to encourage him? My husband took him out this afternoon, no luck, but walked him three houses down and BAM poop. Is there an easy way to get him to go - short of squeezing him like a mustard bottle to get him to go obviously. :)

Walk him in the back yard on the leash, then when he goes praise and treat him. After a bit take the leash off and be out there with him, when he goes praise and treat him. Eventually you shouldn't have to be out there with him. Toss in a step of watching him from the window to go, then praise and treat him if you are still having problems. He should pick it up pretty quick though. Honestly if you left him out there he'd probably eventually figure it out but there is nothing wrong with a bit of training and bonding time. It will make him feel more comfortable too.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 19, 2009

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

KilGrey posted:

Walk him in the back yard on the leash, then when he goes praise and treat him. After a bit take the leash off and be out there with him, when he goes praise and treat him. Eventually you shouldn't have to be out there with him. Toss in a step of watching him from the window to go, then praise and treat him if you are still having problems. He should pick it up pretty quick though. Honestly if you left him out there he'd probably eventually figure it out but there is nothing wrong with a bit of training and bonding time. It will make him feel more comfortable too.

This is exactly the approach I would take. You could also substitute a game of fetch or some other sort of physical activity to "get things moving." When he's finally taking a poo and he's wrapping it up, give him whatever command you want to use in the future. Being the delicate flower I am, I usually just say "go crap, [Dog X]." Then you praise him for it, and give him his favorite treat. Keep pairing the command with the pooing, and the dog will learn the connection. Eventually, you can just shove him out the back door and give him the command. Comes in really handy when its raining and/or 20 degrees outside.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

MoCookies posted:

Being the delicate flower I am, I usually just say "go crap, [Dog X]."

Being the delicate flower I am, I trained my dog with "go potty!" in a high pitched sing songy voice. Now I sit in the warm house and titter as I hear my boyfriend out in front of the apartment complex saying it to the dog grudgingly. I can tell he waits until the last moments to say it until he has to. It's always preceded with a big *sigh* "Go Potty!"

:gay:

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
Is it possible that i taught my dog to burp? I burp loudly and frequently in my home, is it possible that the dog (6months) thinks this is a form of communication? He will walk up to us and burp loudly a few times during the day, usually in the kitchen or around human food. Is it even possible for them to burp on demand?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I have a dog who's frightened of one of my cats. The dog (Stella) is ~11 lbs, the cat (Tim) is ~18 and has swatted her a few times, so I think she's got some cause to worry. He does, however, have enough presence of mind not to do it around me anymore, since that earns him a swift banishment.

This presents a problem mostly with getting her downstairs to go for a walk when the cat's lurking. Neither treats nor the promise of a walk will get her to come, though her recall outside is great. I've been working around it by either walking her down on a leash or chasing Tim upstairs.

Is this something that will go away as Stella gets more confident? Should I be doing something differently?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Engineer Lenk posted:

I have a dog who's frightened of one of my cats. The dog (Stella) is ~11 lbs, the cat (Tim) is ~18 and has swatted her a few times, so I think she's got some cause to worry. He does, however, have enough presence of mind not to do it around me anymore, since that earns him a swift banishment.

This presents a problem mostly with getting her downstairs to go for a walk when the cat's lurking. Neither treats nor the promise of a walk will get her to come, though her recall outside is great. I've been working around it by either walking her down on a leash or chasing Tim upstairs.

Is this something that will go away as Stella gets more confident? Should I be doing something differently?

Don't react or do anything when the cat swipes at her. Making a big deal out of it reinforces to the dog that it's a big deal and to be scared. Unless the cat is really attacking the dog with the intent to draw blood and hurt her, let them be. They are sorting poo poo out on their own. It seems you've got the dog afraid to be in the same room with the cat. when Tim is feeling quiet and sleepy, have Stella in the same room. When the dog is calm, treat her and praise her. When she ignores the cat (doesn't look at him or go hear him) treat her and praise her. Play with her while the cat is in the room so she can associate fun times with the cat in eye sight. This will help show her the cat is no big deal and even fun can be had while the cat is around. If Tim swipes at her and the dog comes running to you, ignore her until she's calm. This helps reinforce there is nothing to be afraid of and it's no big deal. Also, Tim is just being a cat. It's how they play and sort out the pecking order, unless there is damage being done (blood/fur flying) no sense in punishing him for just being a cat.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
Sorry to interrupt the proceedings here, but KilGrey, could you clean out your PM box? I have some information you might be interested in but your box is full. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Sorry to interrupt the proceedings here, but KilGrey, could you clean out your PM box? I have some information you might be interested in but your box is full. Thanks.

Done. :love: