Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Keep me informed. Seriously, shoot me a PM or something if you want to chat about it, I love talking about the Dark Tower.

Well I sat down and just plowed through it. I'm glad I did as it's now probably my favorite of the series thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kosherpickle
Aug 6, 2009

Aatrek posted:

Here's the Under the Dome cover.

The first time I saw this I thought the plane had crashed on the outside, but now I see the smoke is contained in the dome. ktdhgd one more month.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Aatrek posted:

Here's the Under the Dome cover.

Whoa, that's totally bitchin'.

lamb SAUCE
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, racist.
That is a badass loving cover.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I haven't been excited for a Stephen King novel in quite some time. The release date can't come sooner!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why does it remind me so much of the combined cover for Desperation/The Regulators?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

northerain posted:

I'm probably going to regret saying this, but I think there's a difference: King isn't writing the same book for the last 20 years.

I don't know. Cell and Dark Tower IV seem to prove to me that he's stuck on The Stand.

But this isn't worth arguing over. I like both writers, even with their faults. King can't write endings, Terry isn't always the most original, etc.

Ortsacras
Feb 11, 2008
12/17/00 Never Forget
Welp, I haven't bought a big expensive hardcover right at release for a while, but damned if I'm not going to get this one on release.

Also, I assume that it's a sphere, not really a "dome," because otherwise there wouldn't really be much of a problem, right? (But "In The Sphere" isn't as cool a title, of course.)

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Ortsacras posted:

Also, I assume that it's a sphere, not really a "dome," because otherwise there wouldn't really be much of a problem, right? (But "In The Sphere" isn't as cool a title, of course.)

Nobody in town has shovels!! (or any other digging tool or hard flat objects.)

It's a TWIST!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
OR the dome goes down deep enough so that if they try to dig out they hit magma. :colbert:

xdrquinnx
May 5, 2002

NosmoKing posted:

Nobody in town has shovels!! (or any other digging tool or hard flat objects.)

It's a TWIST!

There are shovels but they're haunted.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

xdrquinnx posted:

There are shovels but they're haunted.

Haunted by the ghost of a magical negro who can only be kept at bay by a psychic retard. From Maine.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Hey boys and girls, just wanted to show you, Under the Dome hardcover, only $9.99 at walmart.com

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=1058364

lamb SAUCE
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, racist.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Hey boys and girls, just wanted to show you, Under the Dome hardcover, only $9.99 at walmart.com

I'm horribly tempted.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It won't let me add it to my cart. Oh well, hopefully it'll be 10 bucks on the kindle.

edit: Amazon is also selling it for 9 bucks flat. PRICE WARZ

FirstCongoWar fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 16, 2009

Ortsacras
Feb 11, 2008
12/17/00 Never Forget

FirstCongoWar posted:

It won't let me add it to my cart. Oh well, hopefully it'll be 10 bucks on the kindle.

drat, just ordered the gently caress out of that. What a ridiculous bargain.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Ortsacras posted:

drat, just ordered the gently caress out of that. What a ridiculous bargain.

Ha. Walmart already went to 8.99 to undercut Amazon. And free shipping.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

FirstCongoWar posted:

I was coming here to ask what the gently caress, since I was confused. But I guess now it makes sense. I just pre-ordered it from Amazon, but I had to read the page like five times to make sure I was seeing things right. Sure enough, HC, $9.

Not often you save 76% on a book. What a great loving deal. Now it just needs to be November.

Seriously though, I actually did just pre-order the physical hardcover, right? Not some Kindle edition? This is absolutely surreal to me.

Click here for the full 1188x532 image.

e: So I guess it's real. But wow... I don't think I'm going to be able to believe it until I'm holding the physical book in my hands. This is amazing.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 17, 2009

sigh
May 6, 2009
I know the DK series has been talked to death, but here are my two cents:

I really, really loved the Dark Tower books from the beginning (first 3-4 books, at least, and I read them in High School, not that that is neither here nor there); slogged through books 5 and 6; and have literally been reading the last book for over 2 years -- sometimes chapter-by-chapter, but often page-to-page. I think I am about half-way through. Ugh. I feel I owe it to myself to finish it, but knowing it's bad does not help me get up the ambition to actually do so.

edit: I love and respect the hell out of Mr. King -- Hell, he was pretty much all I read in middle school. But that Last DK book.... Man...

sigh fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 18, 2009

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008
After just finishing the final Dark Tower book, my opinion is that the first half of the book has some really weak points. Both Eddie's and Jake's deaths seemed really anti-climactic, unlike Callahan's, which was awesome. Jake's was okay, I guess, but Eddie's seemed really tacked on. It was like he thought, oh yeah, I forgot that Eddie needs to die.

The whole Mordred thing was just too bizarre at the beginning. I thought he worked pretty well toward the end, but the I thought the whole baby with teeth that is really a spider really marked a sudden turn toward the random.
But I thought the second half of the book was really quite good, including the controversial ending. Maybe it was because I had already heard the basics about what happens, but I thought the ending fit very well.

There was a definite tone shift for the worse with Wolves of the Calla, and while I agree with most that books 2 and 3 were probably the best, I don't think that 5-7 are bad by any means.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

FirstCongoWar posted:

drat, that would be a pretty sweet deal for me

...if I lived in the States :smith:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sigh posted:

I know the DK series has been talked to death, but here are my two cents:

I really, really loved the Dark Tower books from the beginning (first 3-4 books, at least, and I read them in High School, not that that is neither here nor there); slogged through books 5 and 6; and have literally been reading the last book for over 2 years -- sometimes chapter-by-chapter, but often page-to-page. I think I am about half-way through. Ugh. I feel I owe it to myself to finish it, but knowing it's bad does not help me get up the ambition to actually do so.

edit: I love and respect the hell out of Mr. King -- Hell, he was pretty much all I read in middle school. But that Last DK book.... Man...

I can't recall the name of the reader but whoever reads the DT7 audiobook is phenomenal and I really think makes the book a lot better.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Goddamn it, neither Chapters nor Amazon Canada is offering those crazy prices for Under the Dome. And Walmart's Canadian page sucks, listing only a total of 44 books for sale under fiction :psyduck:

Kid Awesome
Sep 24, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Worst King novel?

Probably the one where everyone proceeds to fart, burp, and grunt their way through life.

Seriously though, what is his obsession with bodily function? I'm trying to remember which short story (I think its the one with the toy monkey) which he goes into the guy getting this terrible stomach pain and then ends up farting. Sort of take the horror right out of the story, doesn't it :\

Also been mentioned but the bad sex scenes. I remember one from The Raft because of how awkwardly placed it was. Most of you know this stuff, but just to set it up.

You and your buddies are on this raft in the middle of a lake. There's a oily blob thing thats circling it, waiting to absorb anyone who falls into it. You are down to two people, you and some chick. Do you:

A) Keep waiting, hopefully someone will come

B) Each make a go for it (in the oppisite direction from each other), surely at least one of you will make it.

C) Have awkward sex with the girl

He gets good idea, and his short stories are usually decent to quite good, but goddamn does he need to work on some issues (and get a good editor, IT should not be a 1000+ pages, drat it)

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I thought IT's length was perfect.

lamb SAUCE
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, racist.

Junkenstein posted:

I thought IT's length was perfect.

Cut out the kiddie sex scene then yes, perfect :rimshot:

Ortsacras
Feb 11, 2008
12/17/00 Never Forget

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Ha. Walmart already went to 8.99 to undercut Amazon. And free shipping.

As always, I bought some other stuff to get Amazon's free shipping - I swear that's the best business ploy I've ever seen. It is just impossible to NOT say "well, if I just order one more book I'll get free shipping, so why not?"

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.

Zimadori Zinger posted:

Cut out the kiddie sex scene then yes, perfect :rimshot:

Cut it? That was the best scene in the book, you prude.

I ordered Under the Dome. Long time lapsed-Constant-Reader; if I don't enjoy it (or even read it) my wife or someone else will. Great price.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Ortsacras posted:

As always, I bought some other stuff to get Amazon's free shipping - I swear that's the best business ploy I've ever seen. It is just impossible to NOT say "well, if I just order one more book I'll get free shipping, so why not?"

The wife needed a book for work, so I ordered Under The Dome as well. I just got a Kindle for my birthday present, but I haven't gotten away from the dead-tree versions of books just yet.

I HAVE found several public domain books as well as lots of government publications and "unknown" authors out there for free.

I think I like my Kindle. Just wish it was a better web browser. Nobody listens to me when I said I wanted a netbook.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Alright, so a bunch of real life stuff got in the way of my reading the ARC for Under the Dome, but I've been catching up the last day or two. Right now I'm on page 705 out of 1074 and have been totally absorbed the whole time. Just last night I tried to just "read a couple more pages" before going to bed but stayed up another 2 hours without totally realizing it. I didn't think there could still be build up after 700 pages but there is, there is. Even some of the "Kingisms" I was worried about haven't developed, they were actually explained nicely. As for the story itself, it's awesome Stephen King stuff. The good guys are good-but-flawed and the bad guys are evil-but-understandable. There's been cringeworthy stuff, touching scenes, and some stuff that just made me go "shiiiiit!" out loud. This is a blast to read.

There's more, so much more I could get into but I really want to get back to reading it and then see what I think of the whole thing. 2/3 of the way in, though, I can say it's the best "new" Stephen King, and depending on how the last 300 pages go it could be up there with his best all around.

EDIT

Okay I finished it. I love it. I can nitpick the actual ending, as in the last 10 pages or so, but I still like it. The preceding 1054 pages are some of the best, craziest, awesome-est Stephen King I've read in a long, long time. I thought some of the main characters could've gone out/been saved in better ways, but it was worth staying up until almost 4am to find out what happened to everyone in the book. I'll post more spoilery stuff later if anyone cares, but for now I gotta sleep.

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 24, 2009

kosherpickle
Aug 6, 2009
Better than the stand?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Static Rook posted:

ARC

Without spoilers, is the premise (IE the reason behind the dome) cool and unique or is it something cliched like "aliens did it"?

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I can't wait for Under the Dome. But I have to say, I just got into After Sunset and I've seen grade-school creative writing pieces that are more original and less predictable than these things. Jesus Christ, one of them was just a self-insertion fanfic where he, as a half-drunk suspense novelist, saves a battered woman by pretending to be the Johnny Fiveaces badass character from his stories. After smacking the guy (who doesn't resist at all at any point) with a tire iron a couple of times, breaking his glasses, and threatening to come after him if he finds out he beat his girlfriend again, he throws up and goes home. That's it. That's the whole story. The only funny part is the length he goes to so that nobody ever uses or even eludes to the existence of cell phones despite the fact that it's pretty clearly set in modern times.

My chief complaint with the book is that the stories have felt more like character studies than actual narratives. It's like a comic book artist selling copies of his sketchbook featuring vaguely interesting characters doing nothing. This might be useful for a writing workshop or something, but I'd prefer cursed toys, zombies, and man-eating blobs.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

kosherpickle posted:

Better than the stand?

I would say just as good. I haven't read The Stand in a long, long time but I remember it being much more "epic" in scale with the whole world dying and the big good vs evil battle, then the hand of god ending which kinda ruined it. As for Dome, it's much smaller in scope. There are a lot of characters, but the entire story takes place in Chester's Mill, a small town. We get glimpses outside the Dome through TV coverage and stuff, but it's basically "this town is cut off from everything, how will people the people inside handle it?" There's good guys and bad guys but it's not as blatant as The Stand, there's no outside force calling them to do good or bad. Everyone is either A. Trying to help everybody get through this hosed up situation, B. taking advantage of the hosed up situation to help themselves, or C. Caught in the middle and scared shitless.

Hedrigall posted:

Without spoilers, is the premise (IE the reason behind the dome) cool and unique or is it something cliched like "aliens did it"?

It's cliche' but after the preceding 1000+ pages of crazy poo poo I didn't really mind it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Static Rook posted:

It's cliche' but after the preceding 1000+ pages of crazy poo poo I didn't really mind it.

The thing about King is that even if he busts out a cliche, I don't mind it when I'm actually reading, although afterwards I may think, "Well, that was dumb" and be annoyed.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Oldbill posted:

I can't wait for Under the Dome. But I have to say, I just got into After Sunset and I've seen grade-school creative writing pieces that are more original and less predictable than these things. Jesus Christ, one of them was just a self-insertion fanfic where he, as a half-drunk suspense novelist, saves a battered woman by pretending to be the Johnny Fiveaces badass character from his stories. After smacking the guy (who doesn't resist at all at any point) with a tire iron a couple of times, breaking his glasses, and threatening to come after him if he finds out he beat his girlfriend again, he throws up and goes home. That's it. That's the whole story. The only funny part is the length he goes to so that nobody ever uses or even eludes to the existence of cell phones despite the fact that it's pretty clearly set in modern times.

My chief complaint with the book is that the stories have felt more like character studies than actual narratives. It's like a comic book artist selling copies of his sketchbook featuring vaguely interesting characters doing nothing. This might be useful for a writing workshop or something, but I'd prefer cursed toys, zombies, and man-eating blobs.

Amen to all of that. Usually his short stories are the best thing he writes, but these are all poo poo. The only one I half-way enjoyed was "The Ginger Girl" or however it was titled.

Did the exercise bike one piss you off too? I almost put the book down after reading that one.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Amen to all of that. Usually his short stories are the best thing he writes, but these are all poo poo. The only one I half-way enjoyed was "The Ginger Girl" or however it was titled.

Did the exercise bike one piss you off too? I almost put the book down after reading that one.

I think you mean "The Gingerbread Girl" or something like that. And yeah, that actually was pretty suspenseful. I was feeling that old Stephen King feeling for just a minute. And then during the big chase sequence she tears off her torn running shorts because she couldn't hold them up and keep running as fast as she could. A page-and-a-half later, the shorts have mysteriously reappeared and are torn off again much, much later. Jesus Christ, King.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
The worst story in that book was the one with the nuclear bomb going off. It was basically ''I'm at a posh party and my life sucks oh look a nuclear bomb just exploded, the end''.

lamb SAUCE
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, racist.

northerain posted:

The worst story in that book was the one with the nuclear bomb going off. It was basically ''I'm at a posh party and my life sucks oh look a nuclear bomb just exploded, the end''.

Are you serious. That sounds like "Fallout: A Short Story by Stephen King"

Oh hey maybe the party was taking place during The Stand and the bomb is the Hand of God! :rolleyes:

Based on the ARC review in this thread though, I'm excited to read Under the Dome. I'm also reading The Shining for the first time, enjoying it.

lamb SAUCE fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Agreeing that The Regulators was pretty crap, although its a guilty pleasure. It also features one of my favorite jokes.

Christ, I feel like the president of South Africa!