Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dietcokefiend posted:

45 and raining today... still riding :v:

:hfive: I like it when I can still feel a chill deep in my legs after I've been home for a half hour.

New Hampshire is a beautiful state that I will probably never leave. I just wish it wasn't so brutal for car/bike enthusiasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

kylej posted:

:hfive: I like it when I can still feel a chill deep in my legs after I've been home for a half hour.

New Hampshire is a beautiful state that I will probably never leave. I just wish it wasn't so brutal for car/bike enthusiasts.

Forget the legs, it feels like my balls were dipped into liquid nitrogen.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

dietcokefiend posted:

Forget the legs, it feels like my balls were dipped into liquid nitrogen.

"Did I piss myself? No, I'm just that cold."

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

dietcokefiend posted:

45 and raining today... still riding :v:
I just got back from hitting up the mountains in 44 deg weather in the rain, god drat that was exhilarating. My hands are still numb.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Just got back from a ride, 33ºF, but sunny and beautiful. One road still was frosty from this morning's fog.

If you don't have heated grips, you really are missing one of life's great simple pleasures. Flannel lined Carharts aren't bad either.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
There's almost brand new 2002 TW200 with 18 miles for sale near me, hopefully going to see it tomorrow. She's asking $1500 for it which seems like a good price. What do you guys think?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

There's almost brand new 2002 TW200 with 18 miles for sale near me, hopefully going to see it tomorrow. She's asking $1500 for it which seems like a good price. What do you guys think?

Check the rubber parts and gaskets and soft components. Sounds like it's been sitting for a good number of years.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Check the rubber parts and gaskets and soft components. Sounds like it's been sitting for a good number of years.

It has been, I think she said two. She's the original owner so that means it's been sitting and barely run over the period of 7 years. She said it runs, though, and it looks all brand new. Now that you mention it, though, you're right. It could be pretty expensive to replace all the soft parts. Tires especially. Are they probably trash at this point?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Well, the tires are 7 years old by now and 5 years is the usual accepted cutoff point. The tires are a bit oddball so you'd want to look into availability and price, other than that I don't know that I'd sweat the other soft stuff. If you do pick it up, you'll want to change the brake fluid along with the other vital fluids.

They are an amazing bike for trail riding, but the wide tires make for interesting street manners.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

kylej posted:

That's right, I keep forgetting you're in NH.. I'm in Concord, where are you?

I was hoping to get out today, but I don't think it's going to happen. My Speed3 has basically bald tires, and with rain forecast, I really don't think it'd be wise. :(

I might, however, pull the carb off my KLR and clean it out.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Man o man did supermotos ever take off in Toronto. I've never seen so many KTMs in one place.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fantastipotamus posted:

That's right, I keep forgetting you're in NH.. I'm in Concord, where are you?

In Durham right now. I'm here at UNH during the school year and in Bedford during the summer.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

God drat, TW200s that are ten year or more old go for that price, with a lot of miles.

If it starts up cold okay, runs alright, I'd say go for it. Even with a dirty or gummed up carb, it's a tiny thumper, it'll be easy to fix! :v:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Someone got it before me. Replacing all of that worn stuff sounded like a pain anyway.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

kylej posted:

In Durham right now. I'm here at UNH during the school year and in Bedford during the summer.
Ahh nice, I'm a fellow UNH-Durham grad myself. Are you on NESR or any of the other stupid local forums?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fantastipotamus posted:

Ahh nice, I'm a fellow UNH-Durham grad myself. Are you on NESR or any of the other stupid local forums?

I read NESR occasionally. Most of the people there seem to be grown men with careers and fancy bikes who like to go to the track. I'm a broke college kid with an old Ninja 250 so there's not much to relate to.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
You dawg I heard you like bikes so we put a bike on your bike so you can bike while you bike :v:

Getting this if the seller still has it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
ElectroSport just emailed me the tracking number for the rotor I ordered on September 7th. Christ. Big props to Honda for engineering something so bad that rewinds are unreliable.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

dietcokefiend posted:

You dawg I heard you like bikes so we put a bike on your bike so you can bike while you bike :v:

Getting this if the seller still has it.

Silly as it sounds, that is one of my "over the winter" projects.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Nerobro posted:

Silly as it sounds, that is one of my "over the winter" projects.

Well I bought it, should be interesting to say the least. My big reason for wanting it is I now have a luggage platform to strap boxes and such onto.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just hit up eBay for some new parts:

Got 'em for $775AUD delivered. Got love the Aussie dollar at the moment. Just gonna be another $250 for dyno mapping. I was planning on getting a quick shifter as well, but I need the Ignition module as well for that :(

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Just a bit ago, a deer leaped out at me with disturbing swiftness while I was going 50ish, and the front brake, newly replaced by myself (yes), went into full action.

Cue fishtailing to a near stop on my Ninja 500R with the deer's arse right on my headlight, and then it was gone into the night.

Missed a deer-explosion by a few millimeter. It was literally just there as I was at a near-stop, right on top of my bike. I thought I had indeed hit it, and I looked over for hair or other stuff after I parked. Nothing. My girlfriend and two friends were in a car behind me, and they shat their pants.

Good thing, though, that I was prepared. Wearing my Joe Rocket jacket, knee pads, boots, my Knox back protector...

I feel invincible now.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 25, 2009

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
heh good job, that's the best feeling

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I saw that they have rather cool luggage for the new Monsters today. I am so tempted :ohdear:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I spent an entire week of above-zero temperatures and dry roads driving the car to work, because of a goddamn virus. (Not that one, just a bastard of a cold.)

Here's hoping for the mother of all chinooks sometime in November.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

the walkin dude posted:

Just a bit ago, a deer leaped out at me with disturbing swiftness while I was going 50ish, and the front brake, newly replaced by myself (yes), went into full action.

Cue fishtailing to a near stop on my Ninja 500R with the deer's arse right on my headlight, and then it was gone into the night.

Missed a deer-explosion by a few millimeter. It was literally just there as I was at a near-stop, right on top of my bike. I thought I had indeed hit it, and I looked over for hair or other stuff after I parked. Nothing. My girlfriend and two friends were in a car behind me, and they shat their pants.

Good thing, though, that I was prepared. Wearing my Joe Rocket jacket, knee pads, boots, my Knox back protector...

I feel invincible now.

You lucky bastard. I had a deer fly in front of me in my car and I almost poo poo my pants. I didn't think they could move that fast, and apparently they only really have to want it. Go figure the first time I hit a deer was on a biek, but at least I lived through it to ride another day (eventually :P)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think I might pick up a '79 XS 650 as a project bike. It's $350 for a recently rebuilt engine that "could use a carb cleaning" according to the owner, nothing serious apparently. He says the rest of the bike is rough, but I was considering doing a bobber or bratstyle job on it anyways. I'll have my buddy look at it and see what kind of condition it's in, send cell pics, etc. If it's good, $350 seems like a good deal to me.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
"Could use a carb cleaning" is craigslist code for "won't loving idle."

Make sure your buddy checks out the fusebox.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Slim Pickens posted:

I think I might pick up a '79 XS 650 as a project bike. It's $350 for a recently rebuilt engine that "could use a carb cleaning" according to the owner, nothing serious apparently. He says the rest of the bike is rough, but I was considering doing a bobber or bratstyle job on it anyways. I'll have my buddy look at it and see what kind of condition it's in, send cell pics, etc. If it's good, $350 seems like a good deal to me.

That could go either way. Sometimes people don't know what the gently caress and try to dump the bike cheap, thinking that carbs are these magical devices made out of pure gold and take $5000 to clean and adjust.

Sometimes people say that when the engine is completely hosed and needs a complete tear down, but they are trying to dump it.

As long as your buddy knows what he's doing and can do some basic fault finding he should be able to tell which camp it falls into. The first camp is pure loving gold.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Slim Pickens posted:

$350 is a great price for a project bike. The XS650 has a pretty big following as well. Probably because its a quirky old twin that isn't British.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
It was super windy today and man riding in those conditions sucks real hard

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
riding at 60 mph in 40 degree weather in jeans sucks pretty hard, too. I found out it can do 70(downhill), though!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm going to be doing 2.5 hours on the interstate with 50 degrees and rain on the forecast on Monday. This is going to suck. I hope my Olympia AST keeps the wind and rain out and the long underwear I plan on wearing keeps me warm.

I haven't been on the bike in three weeks, either, so I'm not used to riding in low temps.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Uthor posted:

I'm going to be doing 2.5 hours on the interstate with 50 degrees and rain on the forecast on Monday. This is going to suck. I hope my Olympia AST keeps the wind and rain out and the long underwear I plan on wearing keeps me warm.

I haven't been on the bike in three weeks, either, so I'm not used to riding in low temps.

One thing that I've found real nice in the cold is a ski mask, especially if you're rocking a scarf. Does a great job of keeping the ol noggin nice and toasty. I'd avoid the old-school wool masks, though, and get one of the fancy polyester or w/e ones instead, a lot more comfortable, especially over a long distance.

That said, I don't envy you at all. Hope you got heated grips.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Uthor posted:

Get a balaclava and waterproof gloves and laugh at the weather. I did the same through 40-45F rain for 4 hours a month ago, and my AST kept my relatively dry. My gloves got soaked, and were the main source of cold. IF they were dry the only rain that would have gotten me wet was a bit that seeped in around my waist.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have a balaclava, but a scarf is a good idea. I have some waterproof gloves that I don't like and some leather gloves that are just as warm with glove liners inside. I'm going to wear the leather ones until they get wet and switch them out. No heated grips and I doubt my bike puts out enough electricity to power some, but I might try hitting the motorcycle store and seeing if they have battery powered gloves.

VVVVVV I have three pairs from Wal-Mart that I got last year. They'll be in my bag.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 28, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Uthor posted:

I have a balaclava, but a scarf is a good idea. I have some waterproof gloves that I don't like and some leather gloves that are just as warm with glove liners inside. I'm going to wear the leather ones until they get wet and switch them out. No heated grips and I doubt my bike puts out enough electricity to power some, but I might try hitting the motorcycle store and seeing if they have battery powered gloves.

Camping stores have those heat packets that you crush and stick in your gloves. Those are (fairly) cheap and disposable and work well.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Camping stores have those heat packets that you crush and stick in your gloves. Those are (fairly) cheap and disposable and work well.

I was going to suggest those. I always throw a packet into my gloves and boots when I go skiing anywhere but the local SoCal mountains and they work like a charm.

Also, what you can also do is get ski gloves that are one-two sizes too big to put over your leather gloves. You lose some feel but if you're just highway cruising, you should be ok.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I switched to my snowboarding gloves last winter and it was a night and day difference. Gore-Tex, leather palm, insulated and waterproof, my fingers were toasty all commute. Granted I don't deal with the kind of winters that make sane people park their bikes until spring here, but 2-3 C with drizzle is a pretty miserable experience with single-ply perforated leather gloves at 75mph. (And to be honest, on those sorts of days I just take the underground to work now because I'm not a masochist)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah, I've use my snowboard gloves as well, though in the back of my mind, I'm constantly thinking how little they'd do in an off. :(