Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Just got back from a Go tournament in Portland. Playing slow and thinking through moves really helped my game, as well as hammered home the value of keeping sente. I registered as 8k based on my kgs rating at the time

Game 1 vs 9k - win
Game 2 vs 8k - win. I took black and made a serious error around move 30 and thought all was lost. I took my time and came up with a surprise attack that definitely would not have worked on a 6d player.
Game 3 vs 1k - lose. I had a 7 stone handicap and couldn't pull this one out, and really it all came down to one dumb mistake that I should have read through before playing. Went home for the night frustrated.
Game 4 vs 7k - lose. I had it in the bag until I made a stupid ko threat that I didn't need to make, had to resign.
Game 5 vs 7k - win. Played a solid game and didn't make any big mistakes. Works out a lot better when I do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Congrats, never been to a go tournament but I'm sure it's fun.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Go tournaments are played with handicaps?

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

McNerd posted:

Depends on the players and the format but in amateur tournaments, sure. Pros don't use them as far as I know.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
There were 33 players in this tournament and all the pairing was done by the tournament software. Rounds 3-5 had a lot of 6+ stone handicap games, it was really weird.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Hey guys

You might have seen me on ITGO under "patrickyu". Finally got an account here, so hi everyone!

Now to play more go.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I was just looking at godiscussions.com and my main impression of the site is that it's 90% useless until such time as they add a way for people to post their rank right underneath their avatar.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
quote is still not edit, not even in these wonderous times

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

McNerd posted:

There's a yearly tournament I've played at twice here in Japan, with over 100 players attending (mostly ancient Japanese dudes). It seemed the C class (kyu players) had a lot of handicap games. The B class (1-2 dan) was strictly even, and the majority of people there played at that level. The A class (3dan+) had one or two handicap games, but only because there were a couple exceptionally strong people.

I registered into the B class both years (3kyu on KGS), and did 50/50 both times. The first year I won my first two games, lost the next game by making a ladder (lol), lost the game after that in frustration, and pulled it together and won the last. This last year I went 2-3, but only because the final game was a damned jigo, and in the case of a jigo white takes the win.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
godiscussion.com is a great way to get a review game!!! (u can also just ask in itgo)

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I'm looking at Go boards for sale, and they all looks the same size physically. Stones, however, come in a range of sizes. How would I know if I need 22mm stones, 22.5mm, 23mm, etc?

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

ThePineapple posted:

Hey guys

You might have seen me on ITGO under "patrickyu". Finally got an account here, so hi everyone!

Now to play more go.

Oh, hi :)

superdylan posted:

I'm looking at Go boards for sale, and they all looks the same size physically. Stones, however, come in a range of sizes. How would I know if I need 22mm stones, 22.5mm, 23mm, etc?

This link might help:

http://senseis.xmp.net/?path=MakingYourOwnEquipment&page=EquipmentDimensions

There's a post in the comments section about Chinese boards/stones being slightly larger.

Straylight
Jun 5, 2002
Dude, this title is because you sound like a fucking pompous douche every time you open your mouth. I bet you have shitty tattoos like GodsMullet. PS. Thai food sucks.
Did you know they delete accounts not used for two years?

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Lyon/qxan go phillies heh

You are Jennifer
Dec 25, 2008
This is starting to get really annoying. Does KGS lag insufferably for anyone else?

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
It has load problems from time to time but it's not that frequent in my experience

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

You are Jennifer posted:

This is starting to get really annoying. Does KGS lag insufferably for anyone else?

I always have much worse luck with the web start client than I do with the actual downloaded version, if that helps.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

God I hate poo poo talkers.

Move 2
PillowFace [10k]: whoops haha
Move 4
PillowFace [10k]: oh well i'll try this one
Move 5
angelcake [9k]: are you big mouth?
Move 6
PillowFace [10k]: i'm a little chatty i guess =/
Move 10
PillowFace [10k]: i wouldn't say big mouth
Move 13
angelcake [9k]: you have mental problem
PillowFace [10k]: lol
angelcake [9k]: couldn't control your mouth
Move 14
PillowFace [10k]: you have an rear end in a top hat problem
PillowFace [10k]: can't not be an rear end in a top hat
Move 15
angelcake [9k]: bipalor disorder
Move 140
PillowFace [10k]: ah you oval office
Move 234
PillowFace [10k]: pussy

I had to resign, what a loving human being.

EDIT: I just got chewed out by an admin wtf, the bitch tattled on me. I am feeling such KGS rage right now.

Pillow Face fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 6, 2009

Mez
Jun 23, 2008
What is bipalor disorder? Maybe he meant bi-pallor? I wish I could speak stupid :( Why did you have to resign? Were you losing or did he escape?

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Nah, I was getting pounded and didn't want to give him the satisfaction of winning with a point count.

Mez
Jun 23, 2008

Pillow Face posted:

Nah, I was getting pounded and didn't want to give him the satisfaction of winning with a point count.

should have gone afk for an extended period of time

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

why did you wait so long to call him a pussy and a oval office? or are we missing part of the convo? Also if he was a dick that early you can escape, games under 30 moves don't count (or so I am told, do I have that number wrong?).

Mez
Jun 23, 2008

Blendy posted:

why did you wait so long to call him a pussy and a oval office? or are we missing part of the convo? Also if he was a dick that early you can escape, games under 30 moves don't count (or so I am told, do I have that number wrong?).

I thought it was 10? Need some clarification!

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I'm guessing you're right. I never jump out of games so I always forget.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I was playing a pretty crappy opening and the other guy asked me if I was 'playing go or just throwing stones at him'. Eventually he had to invade my territory with next to zero chance of surviving, and he kept trying to live even though it was clearly impossible at that point. I asked him if he was playing go or just trying to gift me some stones and he quit. Huzzah

Mez
Jun 23, 2008

superdylan posted:

I was playing a pretty crappy opening and the other guy asked me if I was 'playing go or just throwing stones at him'. Eventually he had to invade my territory with next to zero chance of surviving, and he kept trying to live even though it was clearly impossible at that point. I asked him if he was playing go or just trying to gift me some stones and he quit. Huzzah

you have mental problem couldnt control your mouth!!!!

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

superdylan posted:

Sounds more like bipalor disorder.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Mez posted:

should have gone afk for an extended period of time

Blendy posted:

Yeah, looking back, it didn't even matter. It was a free game. I don't know, it's just not in my nature to escape.

I figured it would be a sweeter win if I could pull an upset (10k vs. 9k) so I wanted to focus on the game. But then she (I think she, now that think about the screenname angelcake) kicked my rear end.

Admin: i have to keep it a family friendly environment. what if a 10-year-old saw that language?
Me: i guess you have a point, but my 10-year-old wouldn't be calling people loudmouths.

Then I started to feel a little bad. What adult male would tattle to an admin? Maybe I was actually playing a 10-year-old girl, and I honestly upset her. But then I thought gently caress her, she needs to learn not to run her mouth at friendly strangers.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

It's the internet, everyone is a 10 year old girl just waiting to mouth off. And then tattle on the other 10 year old girls that use really dirty words. KGS is a playground. You got told on because someone got pissed off. More than a kid (who I really doubt would be thinking "oh man this guy called me a pussy I better tell an admin") it was most likely an uptight adult who wanted to get you in trouble because they knew they could.

Also calling a 10 year old a pussy or a oval office once or twice isn't likely going to have long term damages.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, true. I'm over it.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

the only proper ending to a conversation with a KGS admin is a two-day ban

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Do they hand out permabans?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I think they do? Someone told me they also have sticky bans, which will ban all accounts that log in from your ip so you can never play go again.

Daspied
Jul 2, 2009

Blendy posted:

I think they do? Someone told me they also have sticky bans, which will ban all accounts that log in from your ip so you can never play go again.

This is easy to get out of, just unplug your modem overnight and when your ISP pings your house it won't see it, and will assign a new IP. That is unless you are paying extra monthly for a static IP, if so, just call them up and request a new one.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

All anyone can do is a 48-hour ban, it requires some sort of special intervention to actually IP ban someone

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
KGS is great but most of the admins are retarded. That's why we have our little private room so we can say whatever we want without fear.

I should play go again, but I'm lazy.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Man, had I known that, I would have just told the admin to gently caress themselves. Oh well, there's always next time.

Mez
Jun 23, 2008

Pillow Face posted:

Man, had I known that, I would have just told the admin to gently caress themselves. Oh well, there's always next time.

Go say bad words in public games. I hear it's the new and cool thing to do.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
come forget about your upcoming exams and plkay the go game with us. stop playing gay robot game helsbectar or whatever it is u do. Come to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Haha I was finally winning a game and then the server crashes. HOW ANNOYING.