Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
I'm trying to remember an old windows game, around the release of Win98 I believe. It was a 3rd person shooter/action game and the big selling point was that you had a jet pack suit that you could fly around in. I think that it may have been about killing alien bugs or something, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Zelmel posted:

I'm trying to remember an old windows game, around the release of Win98 I believe. It was a 3rd person shooter/action game and the big selling point was that you had a jet pack suit that you could fly around in. I think that it may have been about killing alien bugs or something, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Any other details? Weapons, visuals, controls, mechanics? Jetpack+bugs isn't a lot to work with.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005
Outwars probably.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Are there any games that are like oregon trail? but for adults?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Waroduce posted:

The Bandit's Oregon Trail mod.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 20, 2009

reborn
Feb 21, 2007

Alright, I was sitting here minding my own business when all of a sudden I recalled a game I was excited to see come out but I can't recall the name to check up on it. It was being created by a small company and started development as many as 4 years ago.

The last I had seen of it they had released 3 tech demos. It was a first person genre set in fantasy medieval times. I recall one of the demos was a large ogre roaring and they did a 360 around it showing off their mapping tech. Another was showing off their shadow tech watching a dragon stoop on a rock and walk around it roaring at you. The last tech demo was them spawning what looked like tons of little goblins and shooting a bow or crossbow at them to kill them.

They also released a short blip they had completed which showed the user running through a huge castle fighting ogres and goblins as he went with bow/arrow and a sword then going outside to see a huge land and a dragon flying in.

(This is no Oblivion)

If anyone has some information on this game let me know!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

reborn posted:

(This is no Oblivion)

I recall seeing something similar in a trailer for Project Offset, so maybe that's what you're looking for.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

reborn posted:

Alright, I was sitting here minding my own business when all of a sudden I recalled a game I was excited to see come out but I can't recall the name to check up on it. It was being created by a small company and started development as many as 4 years ago.

The last I had seen of it they had released 3 tech demos. It was a first person genre set in fantasy medieval times. I recall one of the demos was a large ogre roaring and they did a 360 around it showing off their mapping tech. Another was showing off their shadow tech watching a dragon stoop on a rock and walk around it roaring at you. The last tech demo was them spawning what looked like tons of little goblins and shooting a bow or crossbow at them to kill them.

They also released a short blip they had completed which showed the user running through a huge castle fighting ogres and goblins as he went with bow/arrow and a sword then going outside to see a huge land and a dragon flying in.

(This is no Oblivion)

If anyone has some information on this game let me know!

Project Offset. It was started by former employees of S2 Games. Nothing else has come out since those amazing tech demos almost 5 years ago. Intel bought the company for some reason (presumably to help advertise their new chips) but this was like 2 years ago.

reborn
Feb 21, 2007

Ah thanks a lot guys it was really picking at my brain. That's really too bad those tech demos looked phenomenal to me.

edit: While poking around their website it looks like they are still doing their thing at a steady pace but have been fleshing out their engine and editing tools to market. I also noticed that Red 5 contracted their engine for a new MMO which is interesting.

reborn fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 20, 2009

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Waroduce posted:

I'm assuming you mean relatively simple gameplay, but with challenges thrown up at you to decide how to deal with?

King of Dragon Pass! You manage a clan of vikings look-alikes, and random events throw up questions and challenges for you to face. Your seven hand-picked nobles will serve as your ring and advise you, but your choices determine the fate of your clan, as well as make decisions about how you run your tula month to month. It is vastly more complex than Oregon Trail, though.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

Saint Septimus posted:

Outwars probably.

That's the one! Thanks.

dc chunks
Apr 17, 2009

Heres one, it was a PC game I played in the mid 90s, it's a top down view party based RPG and the graphics were kind of like Ultima 6/7.

The main thing I remember about the game was that the world would slowly be covered in a fog type thing moving south to north and you couldn't travel to any of the places it had covered. The goal of the game was to find a way to stop the fog before it covered the world. I think you might have travelled to an underwater city and a city in the sky at some point in the game but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Anyway I'd love to play this game again since I remember having a blast with it many years ago.

EDIT:

Found it!
It's called Challenge of the Five Realms, it was released in 1992 by Microprose.
Strangely it seems to barely exist on the internet, though after some searching I found a copy on an abandonware site and it's probably going to be awful.

dc chunks fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 22, 2009

stradiwari
Nov 5, 2006
There was a true 3D game on the amiga where you start in a spaceship flying over a checkerboard landscape with various very simple objects in it, a mushroom tower and a fence or something. You could leave the planet and fly into space, where red space pirate ships attack you. You could fly to other planets as well and check out the surface. When you came too close to the sun, the screen would melt.

I never understood how to play it and now I even forgot the name.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Played some doom like shooter whith my brother when I was a kid in like 95 or so. it had some blue and green healthbars or something on the right side of the HUD, one weapon was a metal clawed fist or something, your hero looked a bit like robocop and there was blue and red cyborg enemies everywhere.

I have no idea what it was called :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

stradiwari posted:

There was a true 3D game on the amiga where you start in a spaceship flying over a checkerboard landscape with various very simple objects in it, a mushroom tower and a fence or something. You could leave the planet and fly into space, where red space pirate ships attack you. You could fly to other planets as well and check out the surface. When you came too close to the sun, the screen would melt.

Sounds like Frontier: Elite II.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Zudgemud posted:

Played some doom like shooter whith my brother when I was a kid in like 95 or so. it had some blue and green healthbars or something on the right side of the HUD, one weapon was a metal clawed fist or something, your hero looked a bit like robocop and there was blue and red cyborg enemies everywhere.

I have no idea what it was called :(

Sounds like Cyclones to me.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I played this game on my dads apple 2ci. it was set in a space station, and it was in first person. you could visit different parts of the ship and talk to other people, and look at the hydroponic garden and eat at the cafeteria and stuff. after talking to a certain person there would be some alert you would have to go down to an earth city to fight alien robot things. you would drive a tank through a maze and kill flying robot aliens and arrive at a building where you would go inside and resume killing alien-bots. you could also pick up artifacts and weapons hidden behind wall panels. it was a really fun game! what was it called?

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

stradiwari posted:

This is most likely Starglider 2.

stradiwari
Nov 5, 2006

beef express posted:

This is most likely Starglider 2.

Bam! Goons know their games. Thanks!

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Thinking of a PSX RPG (Possibly for PS2 but I'm pretty sure it's PSX). I don't remember much about it.

The only things I kind of remember is that I think the very first part of the game takes place in some kind of prison. Pretty sure there was a world map you could walk on. Also, I think I kind of remember some place that had to deal with a mine? Like, a haunted mine town or something?

The first thing I thought of was Wild Arms 2, but I'm pretty sure this is wrong.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Sounds like Cyclones to me.

It is, yeeey :unsmith:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Here's a tough one: It's an edutainment game for DOS that I played in second grade, so around 1994. It was a mystery set in a house, where I think there was some kind of ghost trying to educate your character about whales or something. I think there was some kind of coin you had to find or something, and I never got much farther than that. I know it's not a lot to go on, but how many edutainment mysteries about whales have there been?

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009
It was an NES or Genesis game (don't remember, exactly) and you played a guy who started on a beach. He had a weird flying gadget if I recall correctly, and there were crabs in the trees. You could also go left or right when you started, instead of just right. I think the game had "Doctor" in the title, but I'm not positive on it.

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009

Beowulf LaGrange posted:

Thinking of a PSX RPG (Possibly for PS2 but I'm pretty sure it's PSX).

Was it Shadow Madness or SAGA Frontier?

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Final Gloom posted:

Was it Shadow Madness or SAGA Frontier?

Nope :\

I think maybe I'm just misremembering things and getting different games jumbled

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Final Gloom posted:

It was an NES or Genesis game (don't remember, exactly) and you played a guy who started on a beach. He had a weird flying gadget if I recall correctly, and there were crabs in the trees. You could also go left or right when you started, instead of just right. I think the game had "Doctor" in the title, but I'm not positive on it.

This might be Stanley: The Search for Dr. Livingston. NES game, starts at a dock, can go left or right, flying apparatus, but I'm not seeing or remembering crabs in the trees.

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

This might be Stanley: The Search for Dr. Livingston. NES game, starts at a dock, can go left or right, flying apparatus, but I'm not seeing or remembering crabs in the trees.

Huh. This is killing me. You're right, that was the game I'm thinking of. :) But I swear there was another game with crabs in the trees.

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004
There's this game that has forever been haunting me, it was a US game on the TG-16. I have incredibly limited memory of it, as it was a friend's system. He had this game and Bonk.

All I remember was that is that there was this cloud floor (think Super Mario vine area) on a blue background, and a stylized Gundam-type robot was either the character or onscreen for some reason. There was also a rainbow. Wasn't a sidescrolling ship flying game, but probably a sidescroller of some sort.

Yeah.

edit: Christ, the game that was haunting me for years I believe is Keith Courage, one of the games you'd check first. I went on Youtube and BAM, right there. I just never considered it.

Yeehaw McKickass fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 26, 2009

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeehaw McKickass posted:

There's this game that has forever been haunting me, it was a US game on the TG-16. I have incredibly limited memory of it, as it was a friend's system. He had this game and Bonk.

All I remember was that is that there was this cloud floor (think Super Mario vine area) on a blue background, and a stylized Gundam-type robot was either the character or onscreen for some reason. There was also a rainbow. Wasn't a sidescrolling ship flying game, but probably a sidescroller of some sort.

Yeah.

Sounds like Lords of Thunder. It was a shooter but you played as a valkyrie-robot-thing and the first stage was a cloud level.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
This one might be a bit obscure. I once picked up an extremely cheap bargain bin game, for windows, I'm pretty sure it was late 90s or v.early 2000s.

It was set in a futuristic city and you flew around in your flying car. I think you were some sort of mercenary who could do missions for the local law enforcement or for gangs. You could shoot stuff, it was set in third person and could be pretty fast paced.
There wasn't much more to the game, but I distinctly remember that the main areas of the city was connected by a large flying car highway, and there was a sports stadium I think.

The game wasn't all that good to be honest, but it's name has been bugging me.

This game was not G-Police, I already thought it might have been, but that seems to be a better game.

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009
I remember playing a Myst-like game at a friend's house years ago, and its name has been bugging me for a while. It was for the PC, and it had a pretty weird sense of humor. Like there was one part early on with an, "In case of fire, break glass," box that contained a hammer and a fire extinguisher. To get the fire extinguisher, you had to open it, grab the hammer, close it again, then use the hammer to break the glass; if you went right for the fire extinguisher, something would kill you.

There was also a spell that erased purple things, which I seem to remember being used in a lot of puzzles. One instance had you using it on poisonous purple flowers to pass. Another far more bizarre use had an infinite hallway - no matter how many times you clicked forward, the entrance would be right there when you turned around. Outside of the hallway was a sign that said, in purple writing, "INFINITE HALLWAY". Using the purple-erasing spell to erase "INFINITE" would turn it into a normal hallway, allowing you to progress. You could also erase "HALLWAY" to turn it into the vastness of space, which you could then jump out into to kill yourself.

I think the game's name was in Latin, if that helps at all.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

KevinCow posted:

I remember playing a Myst-like game at a friend's house years ago, and its name has been bugging me for a while. It was for the PC, and it had a pretty weird sense of humor. Like there was one part early on with an, "In case of fire, break glass," box that contained a hammer and a fire extinguisher. To get the fire extinguisher, you had to open it, grab the hammer, close it again, then use the hammer to break the glass; if you went right for the fire extinguisher, something would kill you.

There was also a spell that erased purple things, which I seem to remember being used in a lot of puzzles. One instance had you using it on poisonous purple flowers to pass. Another far more bizarre use had an infinite hallway - no matter how many times you clicked forward, the entrance would be right there when you turned around. Outside of the hallway was a sign that said, in purple writing, "INFINITE HALLWAY". Using the purple-erasing spell to erase "INFINITE" would turn it into a normal hallway, allowing you to progress. You could also erase "HALLWAY" to turn it into the vastness of space, which you could then jump out into to kill yourself.

I think the game's name was in Latin, if that helps at all.

Not sure about the Latin, but that's Zork Grand Inquisitor.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Ferret Basket posted:

This one might be a bit obscure. I once picked up an extremely cheap bargain bin game, for windows, I'm pretty sure it was late 90s or v.early 2000s.

It was set in a futuristic city and you flew around in your flying car. I think you were some sort of mercenary who could do missions for the local law enforcement or for gangs. You could shoot stuff, it was set in third person and could be pretty fast paced.
There wasn't much more to the game, but I distinctly remember that the main areas of the city was connected by a large flying car highway, and there was a sports stadium I think.

The game wasn't all that good to be honest, but it's name has been bugging me.

This game was not G-Police, I already thought it might have been, but that seems to be a better game.

This is a shot in the dark, but was it Hardwar?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Beowulf LaGrange posted:

Thinking of a PSX RPG (Possibly for PS2 but I'm pretty sure it's PSX). I don't remember much about it.

The only things I kind of remember is that I think the very first part of the game takes place in some kind of prison. Pretty sure there was a world map you could walk on. Also, I think I kind of remember some place that had to deal with a mine? Like, a haunted mine town or something?

The first thing I thought of was Wild Arms 2, but I'm pretty sure this is wrong.

Is it the opening scene that's in a prison, or just somewhere near the beginning? Haunted mine towns make me think of Suikoden 2.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

IIRC the prison part is like the first playable level. I kind of remember it's somewhere in some dark woods at night, and you're going in to break someone out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Beowulf LaGrange posted:

IIRC the prison part is like the first playable level. I kind of remember it's somewhere in some dark woods at night, and you're going in to break someone out.

Try The Legend of Dragoon. It begins in the woods with a dragon attacking the hero and then 10 minutes later someone he knows is in prison so he busts them out. I don't know about haunted mines but it's worth a shot.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

Thinking of a game that would have been on Macs a good decade or so ago if not more. It was I believe a third person shooter with I beleive a female protagonist that may have been dressed in black. I know for a fact that there were sniping sections and that you fought at least one tank. This was on a few of the computers at my elementary school, so there's a reasonable chance that it was a pack-in.

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

Beowulf LaGrange posted:

Star Ocean 2: The Second story has a haunted mine town...would this be it?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Rudger posted:

Star Ocean 2: The Second story has a haunted mine town...would this be it?

That starts on a space ship and then a planet and then another planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Yeah I played both of those games and it's neither one

• Locked thread