Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I and Frau
Sep 7, 2009
note that I am by no means any kind of gear head or techie but I have a yamaha DGX500 at home that I got like 4 years ago for just a bit over 600 bucks. (Probably cheaper now, perhaps?) It's semiweighted and full size, and has served me well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faux Crow
Mar 27, 2007

Arashikage posted:

I'd call this Gadd9 (G major with an added 9th)

add9 would mean it's added on top of the chord. I'd call this a Cadd2 chord. Doesn't get much use, though.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I picked up piano recently and have been playing for roughly a week. How long until I should start to worry about getting good with two hands? I've mostly just been learning chords and scales, but even this grade 1 piece is giving me major fits. I practiced it for an hour and can barely play both hands accurately at tempo. (The first few measures, that is)

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not really bitching about not being able to play accurately after a week, I'm simply curious at what point should I really worry about it.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 20, 2009

I and Frau
Sep 7, 2009

DarthJeebus posted:

I picked up piano recently and have been playing for roughly a week. How long until I should start to worry about getting good with two hands? I've mostly just been learning chords and scales, but even this grade 1 piece is giving me major fits. I practiced it for an hour and can barely play both hands accurately at tempo. (The first few measures, that is)

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not really bitching about not being able to play accurately after a week, I'm simply curious at what point should I really worry about it.

again, I'm hardly an expert, but if you're anything like me, one day you will sit down in front of the keyboard and just bang it out without a problem, and you will be amazed. Just drill yourself on whatever is giving you trouble and sooner or later your body will just build the skill into your hands / arms automatically and you won't have to think about it (much) anymore.

if you're just starting out from scratch, I would think that you should just concern yourself with the basic coordination that gets the right fingers to play the right notes. Rhythm / timing / two-hand coordination will come in time.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

DarthJeebus posted:

Play it one hand at a time, learn both hands through more or less perfectly, then start to put it together at a slow speed. If you have any sections that give you particular trouble, go back and do that section one hand at a time a few more times. You're only a week in, so it will not come very quickly. As the above poster said though, you will probably practice it for an hour one night, and an hour the next night, then the next morning it will all click in place and be perfect. If you spent an hour a day for 3 days on this piece and had not learned it with reasonable proficiency I would be very surprised, even if you are a total beginner.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

Faux Crow posted:

add9 would mean it's added on top of the chord. I'd call this a Cadd2 chord. Doesn't get much use, though.

I've never heard of chord symbols dictating the voicing of the chord (with the exception of slash chords of course).

Cadd9 and Cadd2 ought to mean the same thing: C E G triad, leave out the B or B-flat you would expect (otherwise it'd be written as simply C9 or CM9), and throw in a D.

Of course, chord symbols are about as standardized as dialects in India, where you go from one village to the next and no one can understand you, so...

e: By the way, we're talking about identifying a sonority, not deciphering a lead sheet, so wracking our brains over a chord symbol is pointless. What the chord is is a major triad with a M2 above the bass added in, or a series of M2's with a 5th above the bass added in, or something. Think of it like that, and the labels don't really add anything essential.

pyknosis fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 20, 2009

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl
Ignoring for a second the issue of whether there actually is a difference between an add9 and an add2, would the "add" part in Cadd2 be necessary?

Since the 7th is implied in the 9 (and 7th and 9th in the 11 and 7th,9th,11th in the 13) using 'add' when you want to include just one additional note makes sense, but is there any ambiguity in just writing C2?

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
I've never seen Cadd2 or C2, so it'd probably stop me dead in my tracks. (Which is bad for lead sheets.)

And given a bit more thought, I might misinterpret it as a sus2 or a substitution of 2 for 3. Partly because I'm used to figured basses.

Faux Crow
Mar 27, 2007
Well, I guess it's kind of nitpicky, but I think that the voicing of the chord can definitely alter its color. If you have a D in a C major chord, whether it's in the 2nd position or the 9th position is going to have an effect on the way it sounds.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
Yeah and I absolutely agree, but chord symbols don't tell you anything about voicing, except for slash chords.

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl
Do they really tell you anything more about voicing than a 'regular' chord?
As I've always understood it, the slash assigns a non-root bass (in the left hand) but says nothing abou the voicing of the chord in the right hand as such (except omitting the third if it's also the bass and not the leading tone and stuff like that).

Arashikage fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 23, 2009

Faux Crow
Mar 27, 2007

Boner Logistics posted:

Yeah and I absolutely agree, but chord symbols don't tell you anything about voicing, except for slash chords.

You're right. I guess the only difference I can think of (and correct me if I'm wrong) between an add2 and an add9 chord is that an add9 almost always had the 7th, whereas an add2 might not.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Faux Crow posted:

You're right. I guess the only difference I can think of (and correct me if I'm wrong) between an add2 and an add9 chord is that an add9 almost always had the 7th, whereas an add2 might not.

An add9 never has the 7th, thus the terminology "add". If it has the 7th it is just a 9. i.e. C9 is CEG(Bb)D while Cadd9 is CEGD. I would definitely see add2 as being CDEG and add9 as being CEGD (from left to right on the keyboard), to go back to the C major example again. However, I'm not sure that this distinction is actually made clear in the rules of the nomenclature, so technically I suspect they are treated as the same thing?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Okay, so I'm getting a little bit better at the two handed thing, but does anyone know a good exercise/drill I can do every day to improve my two handed coordination? I've looked and all the ones I could come up with were too easy, where both of my hands were pretty much doing the exact same thing at once. I want to train my hands to be able to play off-beat stuff, not just the same scales in cadence with each other.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

DarthJeebus posted:

Okay, so I'm getting a little bit better at the two handed thing, but does anyone know a good exercise/drill I can do every day to improve my two handed coordination? I've looked and all the ones I could come up with were too easy, where both of my hands were pretty much doing the exact same thing at once. I want to train my hands to be able to play off-beat stuff, not just the same scales in cadence with each other.

Go play some 4 part fugues or chopin nocturnes

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Alizee posted:

Go play some 4 part fugues or chopin nocturnes

lol.

Anyway, I vote two part inventions.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I don't see the lol =(

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Alizee posted:

I don't see the lol =(

You suggested these things to someone who's been playing piano for less than two weeks. :)

(edit) helpful answer: Etude books. Etudes are musical exercises specifically designed to isolate playing problems. Etude books try to put these exercises in a useful, gradually harder order. I happen to have one that starts out extremely simple and gets really hard really fast, but just go look at a music store (or online) and find one that looks doable for at least a page or two. If it looks impossible after that, GOOD. Work on it. I am stuck on I think page 7 of my etude book. ;___;

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 25, 2009

Dafte
Jul 21, 2001

Techno. Logical. Pimp.
Any recommendations on where I can find some decent sheet music? I have been having a lot of trouble finding a good website. Most sites are horrible, infested with ads, and don't actually have any sheet music.

Faux Crow
Mar 27, 2007

Vanmani posted:

An add9 never has the 7th, thus the terminology "add". If it has the 7th it is just a 9. i.e. C9 is CEG(Bb)D while Cadd9 is CEGD. I would definitely see add2 as being CDEG and add9 as being CEGD (from left to right on the keyboard), to go back to the C major example again. However, I'm not sure that this distinction is actually made clear in the rules of the nomenclature, so technically I suspect they are treated as the same thing?

Wow, you're right. I've been in the classical world for too long (where a 9th chord without a 7th is virtually unheard of), and my jazz theory is slipping.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Dafte posted:

Any recommendations on where I can find some decent sheet music? I have been having a lot of trouble finding a good website. Most sites are horrible, infested with ads, and don't actually have any sheet music.

Do you have a music store in your city?

Faux Crow
Mar 27, 2007

Dafte posted:

I sent you a PM. Not sure if you have them though... I'm kind of new to this whole PM thing.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
If it's a website, I don't see why you can't post it. I'm interested as well.

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl
http://www.pianofiles.com/

edit: doesn't actually host any files but gives you contact information if you want to trade/share sheet music

also:

International Music Score Library Project

http://imslp.org/ (public domain stuff)

Arashikage fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 26, 2009

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003
For the love of god, anything other than the
How about http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ ?

For more pop oriented stuff: http://pianoramic.blogspot.com/

If you wanna *gasp* pay for sheet music. http://musicnotes.com

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Okay so lots of good info here but I'm not new to the piano, we're old friends you see. Grew up playing piano (lessons for 8ish years), I know theory pretty well, and could play pretty well at my peak. Not amazing, but I could certainly hold a tune and could sight read some easier classical pieces without much trouble.
So then after that 8 years, throw in another 8 years where I played like once a year, and thats where I am now. I've had a dinky 29 key keyboard for a bit but I just got a 88 key weighted keyboard off craigslist and in addition to using it for writing music, I'd like to be able to actually play piano again, not just use it for writing melodies on synths and poo poo.
So
The main question I got is should I start by doing scales arpeggios etc obsessively or start learning songs (I know I should do both, but any weight which would be better to specifically focus on?)

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

mezzir posted:

Okay so lots of good info here but I'm not new to the piano, we're old friends you see. Grew up playing piano (lessons for 8ish years), I know theory pretty well, and could play pretty well at my peak. Not amazing, but I could certainly hold a tune and could sight read some easier classical pieces without much trouble.
So then after that 8 years, throw in another 8 years where I played like once a year, and thats where I am now. I've had a dinky 29 key keyboard for a bit but I just got a 88 key weighted keyboard off craigslist and in addition to using it for writing music, I'd like to be able to actually play piano again, not just use it for writing melodies on synths and poo poo.
So
The main question I got is should I start by doing scales arpeggios etc obsessively or start learning songs (I know I should do both, but any weight which would be better to specifically focus on?)

Focus on the pieces, and play some scales.

I'm 2nd year music learning ARCT pieces and I don't even practice scales anymore.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
What do people here think of Synthesia?

If I wanted to play this game and wanted to equip myself as cheaply as possible, what keyboard would I get?

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003

Newf posted:

If I wanted to play this game and wanted to equip myself as cheaply as possible, what keyboard would I get?

I dunno, it just seems like Keyboard Hero which, similar to Guitar Hero, seems to me like a piss poor alternative to just learning to read sheet music or whatever.

However as a party game or time killer or whatever it looks sort of fun. But I'd imagine pianists would have a hard time playing it even if they were really good just like real guitarists aren't automatically good at playing Guitar Hero.

Looks like you can pick up some cheap 61-key keyboards for like a 100 bucks or something. Are you looking to actually play the piano or just something to fool around on?

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Newf posted:

In what context? Do we think it's a fun game, do we think it's a learning aid, or what.

Personally, looks really loving dumb. I already dislike guitar hero, but at least that is playing 5 buttons.

In "Synthesia" you actually play the loving piano, but just in the lamest way you possibly could.

Really really lame.

APimpNamedSlickback
Aug 26, 2007
It's probably effective at improving your technical playing ability by telling you which notes to play fast, although you won't be really learning music at the same time (at least not directly).

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

APimpNamedSlickback posted:

It's probably effective at improving your technical playing ability by telling you which notes to play fast, although you won't be really learning music at the same time (at least not directly).

It will improve 0 piano skill past moving your fingers around on the keyboard. But you can do that by just spazzing around on it pretending your deaf.

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003
I was just noticing the post amount in the "new to guitar" thread and compared it to this one. That one has almost 10 times the amount of posts.

How come there are relatively so fewer aspiring pianists?

Portability seems like it would be a big factor as it's much easier to lug around a 2 or 3 pound acoustic guitar than a 30-40 pound keyboard.

I guess the coolness factor from all the famous musicians out there seen rocking out on stage while the pianist/keyboardist is almost always relegated to the back is significant as well.

But is that all?

Now I love the guitar, I think it's a blast to play and sounds great.

But playing Nocturne op9 #2 on guitar just has nothing on playing it on piano.
Pop/rock solo instrument songs can also sound better on a piano than with a guitar in my opinion because of the fuller sound you can get using 2 hands.

Of course this isn't true *all* the time. I think guitar "smells like teen spirit" will always sound better than on the piano.

Ah well.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Noonsa posted:

I was just noticing the post amount in the "new to guitar" thread and compared it to this one. That one has almost 10 times the amount of posts.

Portability seems like it would be a big factor as it's much easier to lug around a 2 or 3 pound acoustic guitar than a 30-40 pound keyboard.

I guess the coolness factor from all the famous musicians out there seen rocking out on stage while the pianist/keyboardist is almost always relegated to the back is significant as well.

But is that all?

Pop/rock solo instrument songs can also sound better on a piano than with a guitar in my opinion because of the fuller sound you can get using 2 hands.

Of course this isn't true *all* the time. I think guitar "smells like teen spirit" will always sound better than on the piano.

Ah well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT_n6ZyfluU#t=1m23s

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Noonsa posted:

But is that all?

Ah well.
I wrote a different post but I'm going to edit it and say this.

Comparing instruments for popularity, skill, difficulty never ends up good. Just be content with the fact that different instruments are different and that is that.

But there are tons of aspiring pianists. Just as much as guitar I might argue (maybe a bit less). Think of all the asians alone! Hehe, but really, if you ever were to go to a University and hit up the music faculty such as mine. You'd find out that 50% of students major in piano, 25% in voice, 15% in strings/woodwind/brass, 10% drums and guitar.

Alizee fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 2, 2009

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003

Yeah... but ska? People still listen to that?
I'm just kidding, I know that piano has no real place in heavy metal and poo poo.

alizee posted:

But there are tons of aspiring pianists. Just as much as guitar I might argue (maybe a bit less). Think of all the asians alone! Hehe, but really, if you ever were to go to a University and hit up the music faculty such as mine. You'd find out that 50% of students major in piano, 25% in voice, 15% in strings/woodwind/brass, 10% drums and guitar.

Hmm, interesting to know. Guess there are fewer aspiring pianists because most are drat good already from childhood and formal education.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Noonsa posted:

I'm just kidding, I know that piano has no real place in heavy metal and poo poo.

Piano has a place in literally loving everywhere, it is THE instrument.

You really need to correct your misconceptions of instruments.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYDfd0WLB9A

The piano MAKES that song. Music isn't as black and white and stereotypical as you are making it out to be.

Music is whatever the gently caress it wants to be.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I think the reason this thread is way less popular than the guitar thread, is that there is a massive lack of audio! Everyone knows how cool a guitar can sound, but it's up to the piano lovers in this thread to show that a piano can sound awesome. :)

I've had the piano bug for a couple of weeks now, and am going to pick up a Yamaha P85 today. But since I can't play at the moment, I've been scouring the internet for videos of people rocking the gently caress out on the piano, and they're few and far between (or they're recorded with a webcam mic). Plus this thread is a little bit stuffy, most of the talk is about scales and the feel of keys (all good and all), but where are the recordings of people at all skill levels? You wouldn't find a Learn to Draw thread without shitloads of pictures drawn by people of all skills. Recording from a digital piano isn't that much harder than scanning a drawing.

Sure all the info for learning is important, but also sometimes you just want a bit of motivation. As a complete novice, I'm going to be impressed by someone nailing a grade 2-3 piece more than I am a superhuman rendition of Debussy by a man in a tuxedo, just because I can relate to it better. In the same way that when most people pick up the guitar it isn't because they were inspired by watching Steve Vai, it was from seeing one of their friends mangle Basket Case by Greenday. :)

To contribute (since I can't actually play yet), this youtube user: http://www.youtube.com/vkgoeswild has some mind blowingly awesome piano covers of hard rock / metal songs, that sound loving awesome, and prove that the Piano can out-badass a distorted guitar any day. :D

TL,DR: Start posting recordings of yourselves playing!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I definitely keep meaning to but every time I finish a piece lately I feel like I haven't really finished it but just cannot keep working on it.

I do have one of those ZoomH2 or whatever it's called things...should really learn to use it anyway. I think I got it for Christmas last year and still haven't figured it out.

Anyone have a preference for what they would like to hear me butcher? Chopin or Mozart? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl
I would love to see/hear some Chopin :)