Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

Can we once and for all get a consensus definition of X-Pac Heat? I was browsing around some awful forum earlier and someone said that Vickie had X-Pac Heat.

See: What fans do when Shelton Benjamin comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

X-Pac heat has always been when a heel or whoever gets booed, not because they're doing a good job, but because people want him off their TV. Who it applies to is what's argued about.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Can we take it easy on the X-Pac heat discussion? It seems to pop up every couple weeks and just leads to big protracted arguments.

Also, can we agree that "X-Pac" is one of the stupidest wrestling names ever?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

TL posted:

Can we take it easy on the X-Pac heat discussion? It seems to pop up every couple weeks and just leads to big protracted arguments.

I tried to answer it in a way that nobody would take major exception to.

TL posted:

Seconded.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Whats the difference between X-Pac Heat and Latino Heat? :circlefap:

This discussion again..

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TL posted:

Any name ever given to Sean Waltman is one of the stupidest wrestling names ever.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
Vickie's an AMAZING heel actress. Although she's already someone wrestling fans dislike (a fat, maternal figure with an unpleasant voice and plenty of power), she gets a bigger negative reaction standing around than most people do for running over John Cena.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Chilly McFreeze posted:

If WWE crowds don't sing along with Zack Ryder's song, they won't sing along with anything.

Just wait till wrestlemania and hope ryder's in it.

BurnHTML
Feb 18, 2003

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

Can we once and for all get a consensus definition of X-Pac Heat? I was browsing around some awful forum earlier and someone said that Vickie had X-Pac Heat.
It's a Zen koan. There is no answer.

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well

BurnHTML posted:

It's a Zen koan. There is no answer.

What is the sound of one hand clapping for X-Pac?

Trick question. There's no such sound as ANY hand clapping for X-Pac. :haw:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Iskanderson posted:

I think the concept of "drawing" has long been dead and buried, at least as far as WWE is concerned. Considering that the WWE itself IS the draw, it's really irrelevant.
I really don't think anybody's been a draw since Stone Cold and The Rock retired. They were the last two guys I can think of who people would buy a ticket specifically to see.

"gently caress the rest of this bullshit. As long as Stone Cold stuns somebody, I'm going home happy."

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I think that The Undertaker can still draw. A lot of people are content just to see The Undertaker.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
My dad went to a house show back in March pretty much just to see Big Show live.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

FishBulb posted:

The only reason anyone even remembers that song is because of Arrested Development.
Yeah, all 38 of you that watched it.

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I think that The Undertaker can still draw. A lot of people are content just to see The Undertaker.

I don't know, the thing with him is there's usually no way of knowing for sure if he'll even show up outside of PPVs.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
We should all come to the consensus that this is the correct definition:

MassRayPer posted:

X-Pac Heat: The sensation or sensations Chyna experienced during sexual intercourse with Sean Waltman.

atamarav
Jul 26, 2006
I was debating asking this in the ROH thread but I figure this thread is probably a better fit.

I loved the Homicide title chase storyline throughout the last half of 2006, culminating with his big emotional win at Final Battle 2006. My question is why is it that he had such a ridiculously short title reign right after?

I figured him being in TNA with the upcoming PPV deal had something to do with it, I just want to make sure. It just seems weird to devote that much time and energy to a storyline and have it peter off like that almost immediately.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Is it more exciting when a championship belt changes hands every time there is a Pay-Per-View? I think it makes more sense to let someone keep it for a couple months or so to build up the suspense; of course I also think there are way too many PPVs as it is, since 1 every 2 months would be more exciting from a storyline point of view.

Also, what is the appeal of having a PPV themed around a particular type of match? Just a change of pace or what?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Shitty_Wok posted:

Also, what is the appeal of having a PPV themed around a particular type of match? Just a change of pace or what?

Buyrates are down and the matches the themed events are based around are generally a good draw. Problem is that doing them in moderation is what draws.

Breaking Point and Hell In A Cell are the two worst PPVs to this point in 2009.

Luckily, I don't see any way that Breaking Point sucks, so it's about to tick upward a little bit.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

atamarav posted:

I was debating asking this in the ROH thread but I figure this thread is probably a better fit.

I loved the Homicide title chase storyline throughout the last half of 2006, culminating with his big emotional win at Final Battle 2006. My question is why is it that he had such a ridiculously short title reign right after?

I figured him being in TNA with the upcoming PPV deal had something to do with it, I just want to make sure. It just seems weird to devote that much time and energy to a storyline and have it peter off like that almost immediately.

I believe Gabe had said that the storyline with Homicide was always about the chase and the win rather than the reign. He compared it to the Rocky movies, where in one and two he was coming up and chasing the title, winning it at the end of two. At the start of three, barely any time is spent on Rocky's title defenses.

The story of a champion is how the won the title and how the lost the title, not really anything in between.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

atamarav posted:

TNA pulled all their contracted talent, including Homicide, so they had to get the belt off him, I think. Plus, some guys build more crowd support chasing the belt than holding it.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

The Shaman of Cum posted:

X-Pac heat has always been when a heel or whoever gets booed, not because they're doing a good job, but because people want him off their TV. Who it applies to is what's argued about.

Proof: The scene is Backlash 2002. The match: Scott Hall vs Bradshaw. Its god awful through on through. Scott Hall sadly looks winded from the beginning and Bradshaw never really had a prime where he was considered a "good wrestler". Xpac is out in Scott Hall's corner. People are ignoring the lovely match and screaming "Xpac sucks!" through it all.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ColeM posted:

Proof: The scene is Backlash 2002. The match: Scott Hall vs Bradshaw. Its god awful through on through. Scott Hall sadly looks winded from the beginning and Bradshaw never really had a prime where he was considered a "good wrestler". Xpac is out in Scott Hall's corner. People are ignoring the lovely match and screaming "Xpac sucks!" through it all.

Fans used to do this exact thing whenever the Rock was at ringside with the Nation. Perhaps the term should actually be Rocky heat?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ColeM posted:

I always heard the definition is "When a wrestler has a reaction from the fans such that instead of watching to see him get his rear end kicked they will turn the channel to see what else is on". So saying that "Fighty McWrestle has X-pac heat" basically would mean that when he wrestled no-one paid any attention to the actual match, either turning over or amusing themselves with unrelated chanting at a live event.

Even with that as a definition it's highly subjective of course. One persons five star classic is another persons piss break.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

atamarav posted:

The plan was supposed to be:

Homicide wins the belt, Danielson wins it back at WM Weekend 2007, so a 3 month reign. Danielson got hurt in August, so when Morishima was over Gabe got the idea to book Morishima as ROH champion instead.

The upcoming PPV deal probably didn't have a lot to do with it, since I don't think those plans developed until October of 06, and they weren't for sure until well after plans were in place. I'm sure they didn't want to keep the belt on a TNA guy for too long, but Homicide just wasn't the guy to get a long reign anyway. He had just been in ROH so long and had so many matches with all the top stars and wasn't the dynamic worker Danielson is where he can have tons of matches with everyone and have them feel fresh.

So yeah, it was about the chase, not the reign since if he held it too long he might be exposed. And considering how hyper-critical ROH marks were about his defenses, it is probably true.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

I really don't think anybody's been a draw since Stone Cold and The Rock retired. They were the last two guys I can think of who people would buy a ticket specifically to see.

"gently caress the rest of this bullshit. As long as Stone Cold stuns somebody, I'm going home happy."

I went to a show specifically because Undertaker was going to be there and I'd never seen him live (and holy God was it worth it). I'd do the same to see Ric Flair or Hogan, both guys I've never seen at a live show before (Hogan was supposed to be at one I went to back about 6-7 years ago but hosed up his back and had to pull out).

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I've gone just to see Edge and I'd go to one just to see Jericho.

Or Chuck Taylor :allears:

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
I went to my first live show ever about a month ago (house show in Portland, ME), and my whole night was pretty much made because I got to see Kane.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
WHY NIGEL WHY?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Von Linus posted:

WHY NIGEL WHY?

This question kind of deserves its own thread.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
What exactly was the J.O.B. Squad, and who was in it? I remember Al Snow and Mick Foley wearing t-shirts for it, but that's about all.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

BlueArmyMan posted:

What exactly was the J.O.B. Squad, and who was in it? I remember Al Snow and Mick Foley wearing t-shirts for it, but that's about all.

I thoink the Blue Meanie was in too, and maybe Hardcore Holly before he became the Big Shot. They were jobbers, and they had banded together as a show of collective strength. Or as it turned out, weakness. Russo.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Von Linus posted:

I thoink the Blue Meanie was in too, and maybe Hardcore Holly before he became the Big Shot. They were jobbers, and they had banded together as a show of collective strength. Or as it turned out, weakness. Russo.

Yeah, it had Snow as the leader, Meanie, 2 Cold Scorpio, and Gillberg. They were just jobbers, classifying themselves as jobbers, breaking down the walls. RUSSO!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I went to a show specifically because Undertaker was going to be there and I'd never seen him live (and holy God was it worth it). I'd do the same to see Ric Flair or Hogan, both guys I've never seen at a live show before (Hogan was supposed to be at one I went to back about 6-7 years ago but hosed up his back and had to pull out).
Right, but he was around before both Rock and Stone Cold. I guess I should have phrased it differently as it is a bit misleading. What I mean is that Rock and Stone Cold were the last two large-caliber single-person draws created that I can remember. People would still buy a ticket just for Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Undertaker, etc. and you'll always have weirdos like me who'll spend the money just to see Lance Storm, but on the whole, the main-event players of this generation couldn't fill an arena by themselves if it wasn't labled "WWE". See also: TNA.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think there is a large number of people out there today who will go to a show just to see John Cena, and almost an equal level who would go to see Batista (we mock him a lot but goddamn do people at live shows go absolutely BANANA for him, it's surreal).

Now they're not a draw on the same level of the Rock and Austin before them, but really... who ever could be? Those two were phenomenons.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I guess I'm just out of touch with the youth of today.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

triplexpac posted:

Fans used to do this exact thing whenever the Rock was at ringside with the Nation. Perhaps the term should actually be Rocky heat?

Back then people actually hated the Rock and wished he was not wrestling. Before his character took off and won them over.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ColeM posted:

Back then people actually hated the Rock and wished he was not wrestling.

Actually only 62.4% of them did, 37.1% were booing him as a heel and .5% weren't paying attention and said they started doing it because they heard everyone else start.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Ktik posted:

Yeah, it had Snow as the leader, Meanie, 2 Cold Scorpio, and Gillberg. They were just jobbers, classifying themselves as jobbers, breaking down the walls. RUSSO!
I know Bob Holly was a member of the JOB Squad as well, but was Bart Gunn? I know they were the New Midnight Express, but were they in the JOB Squad together?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

I know Bob Holly was a member of the JOB Squad as well, but was Bart Gunn? I know they were the New Midnight Express, but were they in the JOB Squad together?

I think The New Midnight Express were part of Jim Cornette's "NWA" stable, with Jeff Jarrett. They split up when The Brawl For All happened. Bob Holly went to The Job Squad, and Bart Gunn got completely written off TV, for daring to legitimately win a legitimate tournament that someone else was meant to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
According to wikipedia :crossarms: the J.O.B. Squad consisted of Al Snow, Blue Meanie, Gillberg, 2 Cold Scorpio & Hardcore Holly

Also, you can still buy J.O.B. Squad t-shirts at Al Snow's MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/allelujahsnow