Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greginno
Jan 7, 2004
I'm looking for a recommendation that doesn't quite fit the theme of this thread, but is very much music related. I apologize if this is too off topic.

Going to shows is one of my favorite things to do, but I seem to miss a lot of obvious dates. I came across the iConcertCal plugin for iTunes and that's helped a lot. Aside from checking individual artists' sites for tour dates, could you all recommend any similar methods of monitoring local venues for upcoming, interesting shows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch
If you've got a last.fm, they have an events thing which will show you upcoming shows for any artists in your library. http://www.last.fm/events

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
I'm looking from some stuff along the lines of 'Apologize' (One Republic w/ Timbaland) and "Whatcha Say" by Jarson DeRulo.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
Silverstein did a cover of Apologize. Pretty faithful to the original.

btu
Aug 9, 2005

Way Past Cool! posted:

You mean like Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild" or "Slow Ride" by Foghat? Because we have a thread just for that.

yep exactly that thanks!

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

greginno posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation that doesn't quite fit the theme of this thread, but is very much music related. I apologize if this is too off topic.

Going to shows is one of my favorite things to do, but I seem to miss a lot of obvious dates. I came across the iConcertCal plugin for iTunes and that's helped a lot. Aside from checking individual artists' sites for tour dates, could you all recommend any similar methods of monitoring local venues for upcoming, interesting shows?

Ticketmaster works out pretty well for me. Plus, because we use them for nearly every show we go to, sometimes we get offers for like half-off which is always nice :)

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

greginno posted:

If you're in NYC, Chicago, or LA, http://www.ohmyrockness.com/ is a great resource. You can also just blogsearch "concert listings" or anything like that in google for reliable local blogs.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

According to Wikipedia, the distinctive vocal harmonies of The Hollies inspired a great number of other artists, but the article does not list any of these artists. I got linked to The Hollies through the article on The Posies, so that's one, but I would like to listen some more bands that use this style of vocal harmonization, preferably within the same genre as The Hollies and/or The Posies.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

From Earth posted:

According to Wikipedia, the distinctive vocal harmonies of The Hollies inspired a great number of other artists, but the article does not list any of these artists. I got linked to The Hollies through the article on The Posies, so that's one, but I would like to listen some more bands that use this style of vocal harmonization, preferably within the same genre as The Hollies and/or The Posies.

I don't know what you listen to, and what you've never really bothered with, so don't take this as an insult - The Beatles are probably the most well-known group to do it. Same general musical style, same era...in fact, I know some people who argue that the only reason The Hollies are not all that well-known these days is because The Beatles hit it big first.

If stuff similar to that style and era is what you're looking for, there's a veritable fuckton to sort through. In the 60's and 70's, "Liverpool" bands who all had a similar sound and vocal harmony style to bands like The Beatles and Hollies were a dime a dozen. Here's just a few that I've heard some songs from:

Gerry & The Pacemakers
The Dave Clark Five
The Lovin' Spoonfull - These guys are actually American, not British, but same style
The Grass Roots - Another American group, but again, similar style
The Byrds - One more American group

Also, you might check out Wikipedia's list of the British Invasion, as this is more or less where most of the groups who fostered the sound of The Hollies and The Beatles came from.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 19, 2009

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons
alright, I'm looking for Rebel Folk/Country like Townes Van Zandt and Richard Thompson. I'm well aware of the Willy's/Jenning's/Kristofferson's/Cash's of the world, and I'm just wondering if theres any other stuff out there i should be checking.

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
So I recently have fallen in love with three Warren Zevon songs from Excitable Boy, Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner, Excitable Boy, and Werewolves of London. What other Zevon albums should I get that match the quality and humor of those songs?

Threatis posted:

alright, I'm looking for Rebel Folk/Country like Townes Van Zandt and Richard Thompson. I'm well aware of the Willy's/Jenning's/Kristofferson's/Cash's of the world, and I'm just wondering if theres any other stuff out there i should be checking.

I'd try out ˇViva Terlingua! by Jerry Jeff Walker. It's a bit more countryish than Townes, but once you get into it its a really great album.

rum sodomy the lash fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 20, 2009

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I'm looking for classical piano pieces, as much as I can get if possible, but I'm not sure how to describe the kind of pieces I like, so hopefully examples work. I like solo piano pieces that flow, whether soft or dramatic, so I'm particularly fond of Chopin, naturally I like Moonlight Sonata and Liebstraum is also a favourite, but while I like some pieces by Rachmaninov like Vocalise as a solo piano piece, I'm not very keen on Prelude in C Sharp Minor. I seem to be pretty good at finding the wrong kind of piece whenever I try to search, or piano concertos (which are great and all but I have plenty of concertos to listen to already).

Composers or artists, or compilations that focus mainly on this type of piece would obviously be great, but even two or three would help round out my playlist.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 20, 2009

Count Harper
Dec 29, 2008

Oh my god, you know the world is great.
Hey NMD, a few years ago I went through a pretty awful phase of listening to Japanese pop/rock, Visual-Kei and the like. I've since gotten into plenty of other music (mostly "indie" rock and 80's new wave/post-punk, if that helps), and for a long time was very ashamed of listening to Dir en Grey and Ayumi Hamasaki and whatever other incongruous thing I loved just because it was in Japanese.

Recently, however, I began listening to Rin Toshite Shigure and they're quite good. I want to find more Japanese music that actually has artistic merit, without having to sift through terrible pop songs that sound like anime theme music, as well as bands that blatantly rip off their influences. I'm not really looking for typical pop at all, actually. Anything obscure would be great, at the risk of sounding like a pretentious rear end in a top hat. Thanks!

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
Tujiko Noriko is really incredible and has albums that skew on either end of the avant-pop spectrum. She uses IDM and more experimental electronic music as a backbone for hypnotic pop songs. I'd start w/Shojo Toshi or Solo and then devour the rest of her albums after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-ZltnhvEf8&feature=PlayList&p=14E9564701015609&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7JeYTXhMo0&feature=PlayList&p=14E9564701015609&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl_sP6-D9DY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn1_9ZrtQkY&feature=related

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Count Harper posted:

Recently, however, I began listening to Rin Toshite Shigure and they're quite good. I want to find more Japanese music that actually has artistic merit, without having to sift through terrible pop songs that sound like anime theme music, as well as bands that blatantly rip off their influences. I'm not really looking for typical pop at all, actually. Anything obscure would be great, at the risk of sounding like a pretentious rear end in a top hat. Thanks!
Try Shiina Ringo. She pretty much writes pop/rock music but it's very original and she fucks about with lots of different types of instrumentation and often quite complex song structures. Try her album Karuki Zaamen Kuri no Hana, I think it's her best and most experimental. Here's a couple songs from it:

Kuki

Shuukyo

Also you might like to try downy, they're a pretty awesome rock band that have a very realised melancholy sound in all of their stuff. It's pretty haunting, depressing and often ethereal stuff but it rocks too. Some songs:

Zen

Hidari no Shu

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
also Dadjacket I've never heard of Tujiko Noriko but she sounds kind of awesome and I'm going to get an album so thanks!

Count Harper
Dec 29, 2008

Oh my god, you know the world is great.
Thanks for the recommendations, guys! Actually, I just started listening to Shiina Ringo quite recently and she's definitely something else. :)

Tujiko Noriko sounds great and I'm really liking downy. I appreciate it!

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.
I'm looking for depressing folk music. Like Town van zandt and that song "Waiting round to die" or Ralph stanely's "man of constant sorrow".

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

WayneCampbell posted:

I'm looking for depressing folk music. Like Town van zandt and that song "Waiting round to die" or Ralph stanely's "man of constant sorrow".

Try anything by William Elliott Whitmore ("Dig My Grave" would be a good place to start), or almost any recent Tom Waits (especially the 3-disc Orphans box set).

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

WayneCampbell posted:

leonard cohen - songs of love and hate

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

WayneCampbell posted:

It's not "all" depressing but I think Tallest Man On Earth's debut album would hit a few of those sweet spots (like "Where Do My Bluebird Fly" and "I Won't Be Found")

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm looking for:

1) Cheery, european folk music like Gogol Bordello (I know it's not 100% folk) or bands like Kaizers Orchestra

2) Folk metal like Eluveitie, Finntroll and Korpiklaani.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

WayneCampbell posted:

look 7 posts up.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Can someone please recommend me some good "kiwi pop"? Thanks!

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Can someone please recommend me some good "kiwi pop"? Thanks!

Without you being more specific, I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for so I'll just recommend The Lucksmiths, who are vaguely "folky", write some catchy songs that I guess could be considered "pop", and are Australian. Naturaliste is a good album.

tombom fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 21, 2009

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

tombom posted:

Without you being more specific, I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for so I'll just recommend The Lucksmiths, who are vaguely "folky", write some catchy songs that I guess could be considered "pop", and are Australian. Naturaliste is a good album.
Sorry, "kiwi-pop" is a term I have seen thrown about over the past year or so in the indie press. Basically, was like a movement in New Zealand most closely resembling American jangly power-pop/garage rock.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Hey guys I'm totally clueless about jazz, blues and those kinds of genres but I am in love with the saxophone(?) on Kanye's Drive slow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0xpWT5BDZI

I'm looking for some music that has that sexy sax feel, especailly the slow sax. Could you guys point me the right way?

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Sorry, "kiwi-pop" is a term I have seen thrown about over the past year or so in the indie press. Basically, was like a movement in New Zealand most closely resembling American jangly power-pop/garage rock.

Uh, oops. It was a fine question the first time, I was just thinking kiwi = Australia :downs:

Pretty much anything from the Flying Nun label in the 80s is worth a look - most of the bands labelled under the "Dunedin Sound" are what you want. The Verlaines, The Chills, Tall Dwarfs and the Bats are all pretty good.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Splash Damage posted:

2) Folk metal like Eluveitie, Finntroll and Korpiklaani.
Kromlek - Finntroll-ish, a little light on the actual folk instrumentation, using more synths for that, but good and fairly epic, try their album Strange Rumours... Distant Tremors

Trollfest - More boisterous Finntroll worship, they really go all out with the troll gimmick; their songwriting isn't quite as tight as Finntroll or Korpiklaani but they still do the drinking song thing a lot.

Sacra Arcana - These guys are really top notch, they only have one album, Titkos Szertartás, but it's a great blend of folk melodies with heavy metal.

Elvenking - These guys go more towards Celtic sounds than Scandinavian (not that the difference in practice is that huge), their album Heathenreel is generally highly regarded; I should note that I actually prefer a side-project of the lead singer called Leprechaun, but they only released a single demo, The Ultimate Dance, but it's really excellent.

Turisas - A bit less folky than the bands you mentioned, but really epic. Their debut Battle Metal is decent but I think their second album The Varangian Way is really memorable and stands out amongst folk metal bands.

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande
I'm looking for some good orchestrated music, but do not know where to begin. Think things inline with Gustav Holst's Planets.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Aturaten posted:

I'm looking for some good orchestrated music, but do not know where to begin. Think things inline with Gustav Holst's Planets.

I posted these a while back for a similar request, but I think they'll fit here, too:

Video Game Stuff:
PLAY! Concert - Chrono Trigger/Cross
Eminence Orchestra - FFVII "One-Winged Angel"
Tour de Japan - FFVII "Aerith's Theme"
Tour de Japan - FFVII "Main Theme"
Tour de Japan - FFVII "Opening, Bombing Mission (Let's face it, this game had AWESOME music)

All Kinds of Awesomeness

John Williams (My favorite composer/conductor):
The Jurassic Park Theme (one of the best orchestral pieces ever written, in my opinion)
Duel of the Fates

Beethoven:
Ode To Joy
Egmont Overture

Barber:
Addagio for Strings
Symphony no. 2

Shostakovich:
Symphony no. 5
Symphony no. 10

Mahler:
Symphony no. 4
Symphony no. 8

Mozart:
Concerto for Piano and Orchestra no. 23

Dvorak:
Rostropovich Part 1

Tchaikovsky:
1812 Overture

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Dude I'm not into classical music but most of your recommendations are loving terrible. That poster comes in here asking for advice on listening to music that was the dominant form over a period of about five hundred years and you post final fantasy and jurassic park at him?

And no, I don't have better recommendations but seriously that post is dreadful.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

Dude I'm not into classical music but most of your recommendations are loving terrible. That poster comes in here asking for advice on listening to music that was the dominant form over a period of about five hundred years and you post final fantasy and jurassic park at him?

And no, I don't have better recommendations but seriously that post is dreadful.

I posted all of two links to modern pieces by John Williams (who is a mutliple award-winning composer, and has written some of the best-received modern orchestral pieces in the last twenty five years), and a handful of stuff from live orchestral versions of some rather good music, video games or not.

The rest of that post is as classical as it gets, and I was going to edit it later with some other good examples of classical stuff once I got home, but ok, you're right I suck at music and the only orchestral pieces worth listening to are obviously the ones that are a hundred years old because nobody in modern times knows how to write moving pieces, amirite? :rolleyes:

If you didn't know those pieces were from movies and video games, you would have nothing to say about those recommendations, because without that context, they're simply fantastic pieces of modern orchestral music. Sure, the fact that they were written specifically for a game or movie makes them seem a little more nerdy, but that doesn't stop them from being some of the best award-winning examples to date. But what do music critics know, I guess all those people who hail John Williams and Nobuo Uematsu as some of the best composers of our time just don't know terrible loving music when they hear it.

How about instead of simply coming in here and (rather vehemently) criticizing my couple of recommendations for modern orchestral pieces, you make a couple of recommendations of your own, if you think mine are so loving terrible, because clearly you are much better-versed on modern orchestral music than I am.

EDIT: I don't think it was out-of-line for me to post examples of modern orchestral music along with the classical stuff, since his own example, Gustav Holst, has only been dead for 70 years. His suite The Planets is a fine piece of modern music, and a lot of composers these days draw from his influences (including -GASP- John Williams, both of whom conducted the London Symphony Orchestra).

Jadz fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 22, 2009

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I don't know Holst's Planets so I can't comment on whether they're good recommendations or not, but to be fair Uematsu is still a great composer regardless of the fact that his music is primarily used in videogames

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

Jadz posted:

I posted all of two links to modern pieces by John Williams (who is a mutliple award-winning composer, and has written some of the best-received modern orchestral pieces in the last twenty five years), and a handful of stuff from live orchestral versions of some rather good music, video games or not.

The rest of that post is as classical as it gets, and I was going to edit it later with some other good examples of classical stuff once I got home, but ok, you're right I suck at music and the only orchestral pieces worth listening to are obviously the ones that are a hundred years old because nobody in modern times knows how to write moving pieces, amirite? :rolleyes:

If you didn't know those pieces were from movies and video games, you would have nothing to say about those recommendations, because without that context, they're simply fantastic pieces of modern orchestral music. Sure, the fact that they were written specifically for a game or movie makes them seem a little more nerdy, but that doesn't stop them from being some of the best award-winning examples to date. But what do music critics know, I guess all those people who hail John Williams and Nobuo Uematsu as some of the best composers of our time just don't know terrible loving music when they hear it.

How about instead of simply coming in here and (rather vehemently) criticizing my couple of recommendations for modern orchestral pieces, you make a couple of recommendations of your own, if you think mine are so loving terrible, because clearly you are much better-versed on modern orchestral music than I am.

EDIT: I don't think it was out-of-line for me to post examples of modern orchestral music along with the classical stuff, since his own example, Gustav Holst, has only been dead for 70 years. His suite The Planets is a fine piece of modern music, and a lot of composers these days draw from his influences (including -GASP- John Williams, both of whom conducted the London Symphony Orchestra).

You sincerely called the "Theme to Jurassic Park" one of the greatest orchestral pieces ever. A sentimental, boring, mid-tempo piece that's primary function was introducing an audience to a CGI brontosaurus. Nevermind the fact that since Wagner, music whose primary mode is simple major key melodies are so far behind any type of innovation or originally that they have no place being called "good" to begin with. To believe that the "Theme to Jurassic Park" is so great calls into question your taste.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

7 y.o. bitch posted:

You sincerely called the "Theme to Jurassic Park" one of the greatest orchestral pieces ever. A sentimental, boring, mid-tempo piece that's primary function was introducing an audience to a CGI brontosaurus. Nevermind the fact that since Wagner, music whose primary mode is simple major key melodies are so far behind any type of innovation or originally that they have no place being called "good" to begin with. To believe that the "Theme to Jurassic Park" is so great calls into question your taste.

Apparently it calls into question the tastes of millions of people as well, since John Williams was not only inducted into the American Classical Music Hall of Fame, but has been presented with 21 Grammies, 4 Golden Globes, 3 Emmies and more nominations than you can shake a stick at.

You don't like his diatonic, melodic style. Fine, just say that. But don't try to pretend that he's some hack and anyone who enjoys his style is obviously a musical retard, because the man has commanded the modern orchestral scene for 60 years, and is one of the single most respected and recognized composers ever.

But again, if I obviously suck so bad at modern orchestral recommendations, please post some of your own recommendations and let's stop making GBS threads up this thread with "your recommendations suck".

edit: And by the way, Wagner wrote chromatic pieces primarily for operas, not diatonic orchestral symphonies (which is what he asked for, based on The Planets).

vvvvvvv You'll never hear me say she isn't a talented musician - I simply don't like her style :)

Jadz fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 22, 2009

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Jadz posted:

Apparently it calls into question the tastes of millions of people as well, since John Williams was not only inducted into the American Classical Music Hall of Fame, but has been presented with 21 Grammies, 4 Golden Globes, 3 Emmies and more nominations than you can shake a stick at.

i use this exact defence when people attack my love of Celine Dion.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Aturaten posted:

The late 19th/early 20th century was an exciting time for classical music, as we see the transition from Romanticism to Modernism as the cutting edge movement.

Given that Planets was like 1917 I think, and that he has the traditional influences, you would probably enjoy other classical music composed around this period.

Maybe try Bartok, Stravinsky, Mahler, Strauss, Debussy, and Satie.

If you want something more adventurous, you could try some of the American experimentalists, like Cage and Partch.

Then, of course, you have your more popular/populist guys like Ives, Bernstein, and Copland.

There is a cool service called Naxos that lets you listen to many many thousands of classical album online. You should check it out. Most libraries have a subscription.

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl
I don't think it's a bad recommendation on the whole. The guy asked for stuff like The Planets, which is a cool piece, but isn't the most innovative or boundary-pushing music ever written. I like Stravinsky a lot, and think that Rite of Spring may have been a decent recommendation, but I think that's about as modern as you can get without alienating a listener who has no idea what he's supposed to be listening to, especially when a lot of those dudes made their names subtly defying theory and making little tweaks that might not even go noticed without a good perspective.
That said, John Williams sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande
For the record, I loathe most of Tchaikovsky (ugh, the Nutcracker is so bad), but the Overture is great, one of my favourite songs. Much of Mozart as well, I'm not really a fan of the whole "zesty and fancy free" vibe most of the songs give me. I'm musically ignorant, I know.

I'm all for Modern music as well, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I liked quite a bit of video game music.

As for John Williams, he's alright, but I cannot listen to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyCigHHwOcE

Without thinking the opening Latin is:

"CORN ON... THE COB! CORN ON.... THE KABOB!"