Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Some helpful 4L30E fixing tips. (The 4 speed auto box in a lot of '90s small-6 motor 3s and 5s and etc.)

Symptom: Sporradic/no/delayed/skipped shift into 3rd gear, especially when the trans is up to temp. More throttle makes the problem worse, but WOT shifts are fine. May also throw Trans Program code and force into limp-home mode (which is ironically 3rd gear)

Fix: Replace 2-3 shift solenoid.

Procedure: Drain fluid and remove large main sump pan. Remove 3 bolts and drop filter. You will see the solenoids attached to the valve body, and looking from the bottom at the end of the solenoids, the 2-3 solenoid will be on the left. Un-clip the small clip on the right side of the wiring harness. Be really careful because anything plastic will probably be very brittle. The wire loom will practically shatter if you mess with it. You will see the "anti-rattle" pin sticking out that secures the solenoid. Take a good pair of vice grips (preferably with a nice sharp tip) and grab as far down the base of the pin as you can, and rock it back and forth, re-clamping every few MM to try not to damage the pin (you will anyways). Take a small screwdriver and slide out the old solenoid. Replacement is the reverse of removal like usual. Make sure you fill the tranny correctly!

This fixed that problem immediately and totally for me. I remember a post on here where someone junked an e34 over this exact problem. It's kind of depressing to me that they could have fixed it for less than $100 bucks. :( It's a shame transmission shops are more into pressure-washing 2nd-hand boxes and not actually working on transmissions.

Another one!

Symptom: Slow downshifts to first when stopping, slow to change between drive, reverse, neutral etc. Banging hard against first if leaving the line too quick after a downshift.

Fix: Replace EPC (electronic pressure control) solenoid.

Procedure: Remove small secondary sump pan. Inside you will see a smaller valve body with 2 solenoids. Looking at them from the bottom at the exposed ends of the solenoids you will see the TCC solenoid on the right, and the EPC (aka pressure regulator or force motor) solenoid on the left. Remove the wiring harness, and small bolt of the bracket securing it (thank god it's not one of those loving pins!). Replace in reverse order. Shifts are firmer and transition between PRND are significantly faster.

It would have been nice to take pictures, but I didn't feel like washing my hands a million times or putting my camera in a bag, and the process for both is really simple once diagnosed. I might eventually do a full overhaul, in which case I will definitely take a lot of pictures and make a thread, but right now it shifts like a new car.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the only BMW specific parts to this trans are the TCM, main pan, filter, and clutch friction plates. Don't go to a dealership or specialty import shop for anything or you will get your pockets turned inside out quickly. BMW wants over $600 dollars for that EPC solenoid, while some trans parts dealers will have it for <$100, and I got mine from ebay for ~$40. Strangely enough, mine has the same part number as one listed on a site as "NOT FOR BMW", where they have the BMW one listed for twice the price, even though it's probably the same thing.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 20, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Why oh why is there about 3/4ths of an inch difference between the space between the front passenger wheel and drivers' wheel as they relate to the wheel well?

To clarify, between the 9:00 position on the passenger side wheel and the well directly behind it?

No control arms are bent. Struts are new, towers are solid, no rust, nothing bent. Bushings are healthy and secure...

(87 e24)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Why oh why is there about 3/4ths of an inch difference between the space between the front passenger wheel and drivers' wheel as they relate to the wheel well?

To clarify, between the 9:00 position on the passenger side wheel and the well directly behind it?

No control arms are bent. Struts are new, towers are solid, no rust, nothing bent. Bushings are healthy and secure...

(87 e24)

You know, I've heard of this before. It might be to accommodate an average driver's weight so the car is level when loaded. I could be wrong though.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

CornHolio posted:

You know, I've heard of this before. It might be to accommodate an average driver's weight so the car is level when loaded. I could be wrong though.

e36s are like this, but I don't know if older BMWs are.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I don't think it's stock. My alignment guy noticed it when I brought it for a touch-up after I put the new struts in, and it was still pulling to the right and shaking between 60-72 mph.

He said my alignment was perfect*, but pointed out the difference which I'd never noticed before.

* he was doing a manual non-computer alignment. It probably still needs to be adjusted but it won't account for the spacing differences, so I figured I'd take a whack at figuring out what that is before spending cash on a real alignment.

CornHolio posted:

If I'm understanding you right, its not ride height that's different. Let me try a handy ascii diagram.

[<---O--->] (presumed normal)
[<--O---->] (exaggerated difference in my car)

[ = well (toward rear of car]
<-- = spacing
O = Wheel
] = to front of car.

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 21, 2009

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
It's definitely not normal on any BMW. I would guess either subframe or frame rail damage. Has the car been in an accident?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

peterjmatt posted:

It's definitely not normal on any BMW. I would guess either subframe or frame rail damage. Has the car been in an accident?

No known accidents, frame is straight, but those little tow-eyes underneath have been bent to all hell, so the PO could have clipped a curb or speed bump. Do you know the key points on the subframe to check for damage that might not be obvious?

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

No known accidents, frame is straight, but those little tow-eyes underneath have been bent to all hell, so the PO could have clipped a curb or speed bump. Do you know the key points on the subframe to check for damage that might not be obvious?

I'd just grab a metal ruler and start comparing measurements side to side. It may not be visibly bent.

I had an e46 in my stall with the exact same issue once (driver's wheel pushed back in the well about an inch). We ended up replacing the strut and control arm and reshaping the top of the strut tower (they mushroom easily) and the wheel was still off. So we figured, oh well, the subframe must be bent so we put a new front subframe in, only to find that one of the bolts didn't line up. Turned out one of the front frame rails had been bent a small amount. The car ended up getting cut apart and straightened on a frame jig.

This is not necessarily the case with your car, it's just an illustration that serious damage isn't always apparent even to trained observers. We had half the techs in the shop looking at that car and no one ever suspected how bad it was.

In your case, if it's not affecting the driveability or tire wear I'd probably ignore it. There's no way this is going to end up being an easy fix.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
EDIT: Nevermind misunderstood. How does the tire wear look compared to the other side?

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 21, 2009

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

peterjmatt posted:

and reshaping the top of the strut tower (they mushroom easily)

Isn't this a problem that has been pervasive over the entire BMW line for a while now? Are there anything you can do to prevent this? ie. strut bar, or those BMW parts that are made to reinforce it? Do those actually work?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's only really a problem for e36 (and probably e46) but there are factory reinforcement plates which came on 96+ m3's. Camber plates and strut tower braces help too.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BraveUlysses posted:

...there are factory reinforcement plates which came on 96+ m3's.

31-31-2-489-795-M9 - $5.75 at Pelican Parts. Cheap, easy to install, and good insurance against major body damage. I wouldn't drive an E36 without them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Actually I've got a pair that I'll give to anyone who wants them (just cover shipping).

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

BraveUlysses posted:

Actually I've got a pair that I'll give to anyone who wants them (just cover shipping).

DIBS!

You can PM me or email me my user name at gmail.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^^^I thought you had an e30?

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

So, as I mentioned earlier, my car spontaneously opened the windows and sunroof on me overnight. In some random internet searches, I found that this might not be my fault--apparently a failing control module of some sort will open windows and sunroof randomly. Anyone have any idea how to try and pin that one down?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

^^^I thought you had an e30?

I have one of those too. :3: It got totalled a few weeks ago, however, and I bought an E36 with the settlement. I kept the E30 and it's going to be turned into a racer, hopefully at LeMons.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I hope this is kosher, i've looked all over the internet but I wanted to get real human being answers so I thought i'd check out AI.

My mother has a '99 BMW M3 Roadster and just recently decided to look into selling it and i'm trying to help her find out how much it's worth by gathering different figures. It has roughly 30,000 miles on it, garage kept and is pretty loaded with extra features from BMW (nothing aftermarket).

Can anyone provide me with a rough ballpark? thanks in advance

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ShowTime posted:

I hope this is kosher, i've looked all over the internet but I wanted to get real human being answers so I thought i'd check out AI.

My mother has a '99 BMW M3 Roadster and just recently decided to look into selling it and i'm trying to help her find out how much it's worth by gathering different figures. It has roughly 30,000 miles on it, garage kept and is pretty loaded with extra features from BMW (nothing aftermarket).

Can anyone provide me with a rough ballpark? thanks in advance

$16k - $20k depending on your buyer.

Edit: pics would help. Also, is it a convertible M3 or is it a M Roadster?

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

wwb posted:

So, as I mentioned earlier, my car spontaneously opened the windows and sunroof on me overnight. In some random internet searches, I found that this might not be my fault--apparently a failing control module of some sort will open windows and sunroof randomly. Anyone have any idea how to try and pin that one down?

If it's a control module it'd be the GM (also called a ZKE), but that's a very strange way for it to fail. Usually when the central locking relay in the GM goes, it won't unlock the doors at all. I've never seen one give a constant unlock signal, which is the only way it could have tripped your windows and sunroof.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

BMW nerds, I need diesel advice.

I want to put a decent diesel engine in a volvo 240, complete with manual box & was wondering about BMW's offerings. I'm after about 200ftlb torque, nothing monstrous, bonus points for a simple electrical job - any particular engine come to mind?

miklm
Dec 7, 2003

What a cunning fellow.

Cakefool posted:

I want to put a decent diesel engine in a volvo 240, complete with manual box & was wondering about BMW's offerings. I'm after about 200ftlb torque, nothing monstrous, bonus points for a simple electrical job - any particular engine come to mind?

Cummins 4bt?

Errr... BMW diesels in the US are ultra rare until the new TT unit in the 335d/X5 3.5d, and I don't think that meets your criteria. Where are you located?

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

peterjmatt posted:

If it's a control module it'd be the GM (also called a ZKE), but that's a very strange way for it to fail. Usually when the central locking relay in the GM goes, it won't unlock the doors at all. I've never seen one give a constant unlock signal, which is the only way it could have tripped your windows and sunroof.

Thanks. Finally got car back, ran a test or two. Yes, superior german radio waves will penetrate 2 layers of drywall and 5" of brick.

Anyone in DC have a carsoft setup we could use to reset my keys so they can't open windows?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

My sunroof in my E36 crapped out on me last night. I had it in the vent position and when I closed it the lid only went down on one side and the liner retracted about halfway back. The motor started slipping gears inside.

I worked with the manual tool for a bit and got the lid down, but the headliner is still only about 3/4 of the way closed. Has anyone dealt with this? The other DIY instructions regarding sunroof repair deal with the lifters on the lid. While that may be the issue that started it, it doesn't explain why my liner won't close all the way. Help me, BMW thread!

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Cakefool posted:

How about a M51? In 325/525tds guise its a good engine for it's age, although economy isn't as good as newer diesels. I've had two 325tds's and power is good but I only get 37mpg(UK) on country roads, 40+ on the motorway UK. It has a electronic throttle though, and if it has EWS you'll need to keep the transponder key. £500 would get you a donor car probally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M51

A peugeot/citroen XUD9TE (1.9td) would be a cheap alternative, not as powerfull but just meets your requirements. Most applications are FWD but the LDV pilot van used an XUD engine with RWD. I got an engine for £150 for my old ZX. Headgaskets are the only weak point I know of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_XUD

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

miklm posted:

Cummins 4bt?

Errr... BMW diesels in the US are ultra rare until the new TT unit in the 335d/X5 3.5d, and I don't think that meets your criteria. Where are you located?

UK, there's a shitton of complete diesel engines on Ebay, 325tds, 120d, budget wise I'd probably not want to dump more than 2-3 times :xd: the purchase price into the engine so if I can get an engine/gearbox for less than a grand that'd be dandy.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Cakefool posted:

In the US you have pretty much one option, the M21 It's the diesel version of the M20 and came to the US with a turbo strapped to it. I have seen one or two with full engines kicking around in my local pull-a-part.

Swap the turbo to something slightly larger, up the boost, get an exhaust that's worth a drat and you should have 200ft-lb+ for <$1000 into an engine.

Edit: ah, you're in the UK, in that case finding an M21 and some performance parts for it should be a hell of a lot easier.

Doctor Grape Ape fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 22, 2009

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I've noticed my 325tds has quite a lean to the drivers side. Anythis in particular I should check for in the suspension? Both the front and back are lower. As far as I know suspension is standard and original, and it has 148,000 miles on it.

Low side, note how low the back wheel looks. There isn't anything heavy in the boot.

Gangsta lean

Back wheel, low side.

Back wheel, high side.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I dunno but man I like those wheels.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

CornHolio posted:

I dunno but man I like those wheels.
Ta, they are 16's off a cooking model e90, but I think they look quite good on the e36 I reckon. Not bad for £140 posted with four nearly new continetnals.

Click here for the full 800x435 image.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

In the US you have pretty much one option, the M21 It's the diesel version of the M20 and came to the US with a turbo strapped to it. I have seen one or two with full engines kicking around in my local pull-a-part.

Swap the turbo to something slightly larger, up the boost, get an exhaust that's worth a drat and you should have 200ft-lb+ for <$1000 into an engine.

Edit: ah, you're in the UK, in that case finding an M21 and some performance parts for it should be a hell of a lot easier.

E28, E30, E34, gotcha, will have a look.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Cakefool posted:

E28, E30, E34, gotcha, will have a look.
For what its worth I don't think I've ever seen an M21 diesel BMW. I think they are pretty rare in the UK.

Another non-bmw engine but mkiv VW Golf era tdi's are pretty sweet, but I don't know what this issues of putting one in a in Volvo would be but i'm pretty sure I saw a Caterham with a Audi tdi engine in Practical Performance cars a year or so back.

stump fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 22, 2009

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

McMadCow posted:

My sunroof in my E36 crapped out on me last night. I had it in the vent position and when I closed it the lid only went down on one side and the liner retracted about halfway back. The motor started slipping gears inside.

I worked with the manual tool for a bit and got the lid down, but the headliner is still only about 3/4 of the way closed. Has anyone dealt with this? The other DIY instructions regarding sunroof repair deal with the lifters on the lid. While that may be the issue that started it, it doesn't explain why my liner won't close all the way. Help me, BMW thread!

This happened to me. I ended up rebuilding the entire sunroof cartridge from scratch. Don't do this. Instead, buy a used sunroof for $100, transplant the metal panel and interior panel, and get a new motor as well. It is a HUMONGOUS BITCH and you will have to remove the headliner and everything. The sunroof mechanism is a complete piece of poo poo in these cars.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Ha...I now am on a hunt for a diesel Mark VII. I was looking for a Mark VIII when I ended up impulse buying my E46, so getting my hands on a Mark VII with a BMW engine stuck in it from the factory just seems right, no matter how slow it would be.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

stump posted:

For what its worth I don't think I've ever seen an M21 diesel BMW. I think they are pretty rare in the UK.

Another non-bmw engine but mkiv VW Golf era tdi's are pretty sweet, but I don't know what this issues of putting one in a in Volvo would be but i'm pretty sure I saw a Caterham with a Audi tdi engine in Practical Performance cars a year or so back.

Alright, so what am I looking for? :confused:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Pissingintowind posted:

This happened to me. I ended up rebuilding the entire sunroof cartridge from scratch. Don't do this. Instead, buy a used sunroof for $100, transplant the metal panel and interior panel, and get a new motor as well. It is a HUMONGOUS BITCH and you will have to remove the headliner and everything. The sunroof mechanism is a complete piece of poo poo in these cars.

Oh man, that's what I was afraid of. I use the sunroof all the time. As long as it isn't raining, it's open. Guess not for a while... :smith:

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

McMadCow posted:

Oh man, that's what I was afraid of. I use the sunroof all the time. As long as it isn't raining, it's open. Guess not for a while... :smith:

Where do you live? Honestly, at this point after having spent so much time with it, I'd probably be able to help you out pretty easily if you live anywhere near New Brunswick, NJ.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Any suggestions for floor mats for an E46 sedan? The velcro things ripped out of both of my front mats and I prefer a thicker rubber mat anyways (especially as an Ohio winter approaches), so I'm in the market.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Pissingintowind posted:

Where do you live? Honestly, at this point after having spent so much time with it, I'd probably be able to help you out pretty easily if you live anywhere near New Brunswick, NJ.

Wow, thanks for the offer! Unfortunately though, I'm in San Francisco, so just about as far away as we can possibly be. Oh well, the weather is still nice here... I can start tinkering with it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephirothclone7
Oct 21, 2009

by Ozma
I got a good car joke

Question -"Whats the difference between people who drive BMW's and Toyotas"

Answer- all the people who drive BMW's are yuppies, and olny half of the people who drive toyota's are