Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

This is a technical question about a problem I'm experiencing with my bass amp:

Basically, the input port (where I connect the cable) doesn't work. Sort of. If I turn the amp on without touching anything, I don't get any sound. However, if I apply even the tiniest pressure to the cable downwards, everything sounds fine. It's like there's no contact in a neutral straight, but the slightest bit of pressure sets it off.

Any ideas for what's going on? I suspect this might be a soldering job, in which case I'm SOL because I've never soldered anything and I don't want to practice on my big and expensive bass amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Have you tried a different cable? It could just as easily be a solder joint in the cable as it could be one in the amp.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

thegloaming posted:

This is a technical question about a problem I'm experiencing with my bass amp:

Basically, the input port (where I connect the cable) doesn't work. Sort of. If I turn the amp on without touching anything, I don't get any sound. However, if I apply even the tiniest pressure to the cable downwards, everything sounds fine. It's like there's no contact in a neutral straight, but the slightest bit of pressure sets it off.

Any ideas for what's going on? I suspect this might be a soldering job, in which case I'm SOL because I've never soldered anything and I don't want to practice on my big and expensive bass amp.

Take it to a tech then. Should be a quick and relatively inexpensive fix.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Col.Kiwi posted:

Have you tried a different cable? It could just as easily be a solder joint in the cable as it could be one in the amp.

Or that...

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I tried another cable and it's definitely the amp.

The only place I know nearby is Guitar Center, and knowing them, they'd probably charge an arm and a leg for such a simple procedure. Guess I better start looking around...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

thegloaming posted:

I tried another cable and it's definitely the amp.

The only place I know nearby is Guitar Center, and knowing them, they'd probably charge an arm and a leg for such a simple procedure. Guess I better start looking around...
When I worked at Guitar Center, we didn't have any amp repair shop. What we would do is send it out to the company that built it for servicing. It was a poo poo system that was very expensive and slow. Look around for a "____ licensed" technician and bring it to them.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

scuz posted:

When I worked at Guitar Center, we didn't have any amp repair shop. What we would do is send it out to the company that built it for servicing. It was a poo poo system that was very expensive and slow. Look around for a "____ licensed" technician and bring it to them.

___ being the make of my amp (Behringer)?

Anyway, thanks for the help, guys.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 21, 2009

DrChu
May 14, 2002

thegloaming posted:

Anyway, thanks for the help, guys.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Support/Service-Centers.aspx

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

That helps a bunch. Thanks!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

thegloaming posted:

yes, sorry about that.

Wait, Behringer? You might be able to buy a replacement for the cost of repairs depending on how much you paid for it in the first place.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

scuz posted:

yes, sorry about that.

Wait, Behringer? You might be able to buy a replacement for the cost of repairs depending on how much you paid for it in the first place.

yes, but that's rather wasteful.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jan posted:

True :)

You could always donate the busted one to a high school electronics classroom!

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Jan posted:

It's simply because modern manufacturing techniques use so many integrated circuits it's generally easier to replace the entire circuit than trace it and find what is not working.

Doomy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 21, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Doomy posted:

It's simply because modern manufacturing techniques use so many integrated circuits it's generally easier to replace the entire circuit than trace it and find what is not working.
...which is exactly what would provide high school electronics students hours of fun/learning!

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Can someone explain the Sansamp model line to me? For $200 you get the regular Sansamp that everyone raves about. Then for $10 more you get the one that seems to be the same thing but is also programmable. Is there any advantage to the smaller one? Am I missing something?

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Speaking of amp troubles, my amp's been hosed for a while, and I really should fix it. In a drunken stupor, I tripped over a cable plugged into the passive input on my Ampeg BA 115, breaking the very tip of the 1/4inch cable inside the input. It's really stuck in there, tried shaking it out to no avail.

Anybody familiar with these amps or this problem? I've been having to use the active input instead, which cuts both my tone and volume a lot.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

What you need is some needle nosed pliers.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
A friend of mine is selling an Ampeg SVT-100 from the 80's that just got tuned up and re-tubed. If anyone is interested here is the craigslist posting:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/1427979935.html

Also, if you have any questions you can ask me and I'll be happy to answer them. I played out of it last night just to test it and it sounds incredible. I wish I had enough money to buy it.

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Doomy posted:

What you need is some needle nosed pliers.

Yeah I tried that, the very tip of the cable is clicked in, so pliers don't cut it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

answersyouseek posted:

A friend of mine is selling an Ampeg SVT-100 from the 80's that just got tuned up and re-tubed. If anyone is interested here is the craigslist posting:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/1427979935.html

Also, if you have any questions you can ask me and I'll be happy to answer them. I played out of it last night just to test it and it sounds incredible. I wish I had enough money to buy it.

I'd buy that had I the cash. I only have around 500 bucks at the moment and importing it to Finland (if he'd even be willing to do that) would put the price around $1100

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Ibanez GSR200.

Good pick for a beginner? Price is right, can grab it locally, all that. No experience. Just want to make sure its an okay pick.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Solid choice. It's one of the best beginner basses for its price.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

BobMcFartsens posted:

Yeah I tried that, the very tip of the cable is clicked in, so pliers don't cut it.
If you're feeling brave you can open up the amp and take the plug out that way.

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

Walked posted:

Ibanez GSR200.

Good pick for a beginner? Price is right, can grab it locally, all that. No experience. Just want to make sure its an okay pick.

Yes, get it, you won't have any regrets! Mine is still alive and kicking after all these years.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I decided on a whim that I ought to learn an instrument so I picked up a cheap BC Rich Warlock (because it looks pretty drat :black101: and it was reduced). My first issue is tuning this fucker. I got given a Korg GA-1 guitar/bass tuner and for some reason, no matter what I do, it wont register any note being played on the E string until the tuning hits A. So without learning to tune by ear, I basically have a choice of AADG or randomlytunedstringADG. Any idea as to whats up? Is my bass hosed or is the tuner a crappy piece of crap (that I didn't pay for so it's not a total waste)

And yes, I know nothing about music other than the fact I enjoy listening to it, so feel free to make fun of my total lack of knowledge/ridiculous choice of first bass, etc. etc.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Tarwedge posted:

I decided on a whim that I ought to learn an instrument so I picked up a cheap BC Rich Warlock (because it looks pretty drat :black101: and it was reduced). My first issue is tuning this fucker. I got given a Korg GA-1 guitar/bass tuner and for some reason, no matter what I do, it wont register any note being played on the E string until the tuning hits A. So without learning to tune by ear, I basically have a choice of AADG or randomlytunedstringADG. Any idea as to whats up? Is my bass hosed or is the tuner a crappy piece of crap (that I didn't pay for so it's not a total waste)

And yes, I know nothing about music other than the fact I enjoy listening to it, so feel free to make fun of my total lack of knowledge/ridiculous choice of first bass, etc. etc.

5th fret of E is the same as an open A in standard tuning, so if you've got A right you can tune E from the 5th fret.

I dont have much experience with tuners so can't help you with it, but my bandmate has a Korg tuner and I sometimes use it so I guess it should register your E.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Korg GA-1 is a pile of poo poo. Buying a good tuner is not optional. A good use of money is the Boss TU-2 pedal. If you absolutely cannot spend the $100, there's a link in the OP for "tune your bass dot com" or something like that. Tuning your bass by ear is also not optional if you want to be a decent player :)

Scarf posted:

Save your money for a straight-back 810.
Hey, cross-quoting this from the craigslist thread.

When you say straight-back, are you talking about this one (it's the first on the list)?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Grabbed a GSR200 today. Hoping to pick up lessons this weekend and go from there. We'll see how this goes I guess.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

scuz posted:

The Korg GA-1 is a pile of poo poo. Buying a good tuner is not optional. A good use of money is the Boss TU-2 pedal. If you absolutely cannot spend the $100, there's a link in the OP for "tune your bass dot com" or something like that. Tuning your bass by ear is also not optional if you want to be a decent player :)

Thanks, I'll look at some alternative stuff. I already figured tuning by ear isn't optional, but it IS pretty close to impossible when you've owned and held an actual bass guitar for all of about half an hour with no prior instrument experience :) I'm sure I'll pick it up.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tarwedge posted:

Thanks, I'll look at some alternative stuff. I already figured tuning by ear isn't optional, but it IS pretty close to impossible when you've owned and held an actual bass guitar for all of about half an hour with no prior instrument experience :) I'm sure I'll pick it up.
Yeah, sorry; rough day at work. Most bass players are very nice people :)

If you want a less expensive option, the chromatic version of the GA-1 is a great tuner and it's only like $20. I think it's the CH-1 or something like that, and it looks pretty much the same as the GA-1 except it's black.

Edit: I'm wrong! They changed the color on me; here's what I'm talkin about.

scuz fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 27, 2009

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Tarwedge posted:

I gotta also recommend a TU-2 tuner. Best investment and it holds value very well if you ever need to sell it. On the used market, they can go for as low as $50, but usually average around $70, and those would be shipped prices.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, I stupidly got a Boss "guitar/bass" tuner instead of a good chromatic one. Wished many times that I'd just spent the extra $60 to get a good chromatic stomp tuner instead. It's certainly worth getting a chromatic tuner over a "specialized" (whatever you'd call it) one, if not necessarily a Boss TU-2.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I have this http://www.turbo-tuner.com/ which is the best tuner ever. TU-2s are good and pretty ubiquitous though. Full disclosure: I play guitar, not bass.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
It is difficult to bite the bullet the first time, but you realize it is just like tools in the garage: spend the extra so you will only buy the tool once.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I used to work the accessories counter at Guitar Center. Whenever someone was like "I want the cheapest tuner you've got" I always recommended the chromatic one. I refused to sell the GA-1 because it was (and still is) just plain awful. People would give me looks and then I would show them how poorly it works compared to any chromatic tuner right there on the sales floor. They shut up :smug:

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Tarwedge posted:

Tune by playing the harmonics on the 12th fret, they should be easier for the tuner to pick up.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

When you say straight-back, are you talking about this one (it's the first on the list)?

Looks like it, yeah. Before they started putting in the little slants w/ the wheels and pull-bar. Less convenient, better sounding.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Only downside to the boss TU-2 or any stomp-tuner is that the accuracy is usually worse than a nice rackmount unit. The TU-2 is accurate to +/- 3 cent where as my Sabine RT-7100 rack tuner is down to +/- 1 cent.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Looks like it, yeah. Before they started putting in the little slants w/ the wheels and pull-bar. Less convenient, better sounding.
Neato! I thought they were hard to come by, but that store has had that one for a long time. I'll go check it out one of these days. I'm glad someone screwed wheels on to the side, though; 140 pounds is nothin to sneeze at.

Does it really sound that much better than the slant-back?

Scarf posted:

Only downside to the boss TU-2 or any stomp-tuner is that the accuracy is usually worse than a nice rackmount unit. The TU-2 is accurate to +/- 3 cent where as my Sabine RT-7100 rack tuner is down to +/- 1 cent.
I was sorta worried when I read that also, but I have no rack and plenty of room on the floor :) For the music I'm playing, that sort of precision isn't necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

DrChu posted:

Tune by playing the harmonics on the 12th fret, they should be easier for the tuner to pick up.

Except a non-chromatic tuner is just going to fart out complaining this isn't the note it's looking for. :haw:

This is what I have. It does the job, but there's not much more to be said about it.