Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this? posted:

That kind of reminds me of a super cheesy Mythbusters thing where they were replicating the scene from Last Crusade where Indy puts a stick through a motorcycle tire. They do pretty much everything to replicate it using normal means and then they go and pretend that they JUST noticed how it was faked. Jamie and Adam are both special effects guys so I'm pretty sure they took one look at the movie and knew exactly how the shot was actually set up.

Just because it was set up doesn't necessarily mean it's really impossible. Granted, it usually probably does, but then again most of the stuff on this show could be proved or disproved on paper in 5 minutes. Like the bullet myth, but it was still fun to watch them actually do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah, you can see Adam's concern for his hair when he burns his eyebrow off. It was all fun and games, until someone pointed out he might have burnt some of his hair off too. He got serious pretty quickly from what I remember.

I remember hearing on one of the behind the scenes episodes a while back that he was mostly concerned because he had a date that night.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

I remember hearing on one of the behind the scenes episodes a while back that he was mostly concerned because he had a date that night.

I'm pretty sure he said that in the episode.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

LordOfThePants posted:

Did you check it out? I was going to try to catch a repeat but I didn't see any on until the new episode next week.

Pretty much everyone in this thread hit it in the head as far as my thoughts on the show. It definitely has potential, but like someone said you're not along for the investigation. You see bits and pieces and then they all go nuts over some piece of evidence.

Although, it's nice that they do have different ideas as to how to investigate. That whole "era cues" thing was interesting, it'd be cool to see different approaches on how to capture evidence other than wandering around a building asking "who's there?"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Captain Novolin posted:

I haven't seen that episode in years! :( I guess that makes sense.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Captain Novolin posted:

I don't know why that would be a problem, it's a great story. "So what happened?" "I burned my eyebrows off making my TV SHOW."

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
I didn't really care when they introduced the 'build team' and made them more intregral to the show, I lost all intrest when the normally amusing banter turned into such a scripted mess it was just forced garbage chatter. Now when they're doing bumps and describing things between showing shots of something happening or building something, its like a vaudeville act.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Oh god mikes Camera man.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I dont know how Mike does it, I'm freaking out just watching him climb into that chair.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

DurosKlav posted:

I dont know how Mike does it, I'm freaking out just watching him climb into that chair.

No kidding. I like to think I'm not to afraid of heights but poo poo that made my pulse pick up.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
My fear of heights makes me edgy on a 12 foot ladder. I think i would pass out halfway into getting into that tiny swing.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

hobb posted:

My fear of heights makes me edgy on a 12 foot ladder. I think i would pass out halfway into getting into that tiny swing.

I wouldn't even be able to get within 15 feet of the edge of the thing that had the swing on it. gently caress that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I was on the roof of a 3 story building two months ago and I had problems looking over the edge. Also just looking out the window of a 50th floor apartment made me feel woozy.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Darth Freddy posted:

Oh god mikes Camera man.

"Are you filming this?"

"We're filming the HELL out of this"

Some of those shots were nuts - I couldn't believe it when he was leaning over the edge with his entire body (and camera) weight supported by the rope.

On a completely unrelated note, the Alaskan King Crab season starts tomorrow (10/15), so a bunch of Discovery guys will be heading out with the fleet to shoot a new season of Deadliest Catch.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

LordOfThePants posted:

"Are you filming this?"

"We're filming the HELL out of this"

Some of those shots were nuts - I couldn't believe it when he was leaning over the edge with his entire body (and camera) weight supported by the rope.

On a completely unrelated note, the Alaskan King Crab season starts tomorrow (10/15), so a bunch of Discovery guys will be heading out with the fleet to shoot a new season of Deadliest Catch.

Camera men are some of the bravest mother fuckers in the world.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Deadliest Catch behind the scenes stuff they occasionally do is actually one of my favorite parts of that show.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Silly myth busters yall are suppose to fire the entire potato.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Darth Freddy posted:

Silly myth busters yall are suppose to fire the entire potato.

Aw man, I had company come over right when it was on and I never got a chance to see the "handyman's secret weapon" put to the best. When do they usually show an encore?

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

iastudent posted:

Aw man, I had company come over right when it was on and I never got a chance to see the "handyman's secret weapon" put to the best. When do they usually show an encore?
Looks like they're repeating last night's Mythbusters next week right before they air the new episode.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't get all the hate for the build team on Mythbusters. Sure they're not as engaging ad Adam or Jamie, but they can be quite funny at times and often do take on interesting myths. Maybe it's just that I find Grant so :3:. I'm definitely sick of the overly scripted segments, though. And last night's episode had pretty terrible myths.

Just reading through the last few pages I realize that I've been assuming The Colony was something it isn't. From the commercials it looked like it was all a pre-scripted, "what-if" type scenario. If I'm to understand correctly (and Wikipedia or the TV-IV wiki aren't incredibly helpful here), it's basically like an extended episode of Junkyard Wars set in a constructed apocalyptic setting? Or is it somewhere in between?

e: Oh, that's too bad :(. It sounds like it would have been an awesome show if it was just a post-apocalyptic more realistic Junkyard Wars.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 15, 2009

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The producers insist that it wasn't scripted, and that the survivors weren't given homework assignments, but the fact of the matter is that you can tell most of it was preplanned because the survivors always found exactly what they needed to build what they were going to build. Not to mention the scripted attacks on the compound.

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

I don't get all the hate for the build team on Mythbusters. Sure they're not as engaging ad Adam or Jamie, but they can be quite funny at times and often do take on interesting myths. Maybe it's just that I find Grant so :3:. I'm definitely sick of the overly scripted segments, though. And last night's episode had pretty terrible myths.
I liked the build team better when Scottie was there to sort of balance the hyper geekiness of Tory and Kari. When Scottie left and Grant was brought in, he added to that hyper geekiness, and it created a situation where it could become overwhelming. It also doesn't help that they always act so overawed when something that is supposed to go boom goes boom.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Mike McC posted:

I liked the build team better when Scottie was there to sort of balance the hyper geekiness of Tory and Kari. When Scottie left and Grant was brought in, he added to that hyper geekiness, and it created a situation where it could become overwhelming. It also doesn't help that they always act so overawed when something that is supposed to go boom goes boom.

Scottie, my one true tv love.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

To Mythbusters' credit last night, I caught the opening minutes where they showed Red Green clips while introducing the duct tape myths. God I miss that show. :smith:

Lobstermen is supposed to premiere tomorrow night, but I dunno. I didn't catch the swordfish show when it was on, but did it come anywhere close to being as good as Deadliest Catch? If not, I'm not holding out hope for this other show.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

iastudent posted:

To Mythbusters' credit last night, I caught the opening minutes where they showed Red Green clips while introducing the duct tape myths. God I miss that show. :smith:

Lobstermen is supposed to premiere tomorrow night, but I dunno. I didn't catch the swordfish show when it was on, but did it come anywhere close to being as good as Deadliest Catch? If not, I'm not holding out hope for this other show.

I thought Lobstermen got the axe? I remember seeing it several years ago and then never really saw it again outside of the occasional rerun.

I'm watching Time Warp right now - it looks like they retooled the show slightly from last season. There's a new announcer now, which is an improvement over the last guy.

LordOfThePants fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 16, 2009

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

LordOfThePants posted:

I thought Lobstermen got the axe? I remember seeing it several years ago and then never really saw it again outside of the occasional rerun.

I thought it was meant to be a mini-series much like the one that birthed DC. I guess it finally got picked up officially? (Without a name change this time.)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

iastudent posted:

Keep your stick on the ice indeed. :unsmith:

iastudent posted:

Lobstermen is supposed to premiere tomorrow night, but I dunno. I didn't catch the swordfish show when it was on, but did it come anywhere close to being as good as Deadliest Catch?
Not even close. They tried to play up the drama between the captains because the work on lobester boats isn't 10% as "TV dangerous" as it is on DC, but since most of the lobster captains have no personality, it was mostly just boring bickering between old men who didn't get along.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So, much like the original miniseries, I gave Lobstermen a shot. Allow me to sum things up for you by comparing it to Deadliest Catch:

The boats are smaller.
The hauls are smaller.
The pots are smaller.
The crews are smaller.
The pay outs are smaller.
The risks are smaller.
The work load is smaller.
The weather is smaller.

But the show is shot and edited IDENTICALLY to DC, which makes it all seem incredibly ridiculous.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

FYI, the premiere of Storm Chasers is tonight; Discovery is showing a highlight clip show from the first two seasons right now.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

nmfree posted:

FYI, the premiere of Storm Chasers is tonight; Discovery is showing a highlight clip show from the first two seasons right now.

I am way too excited about this premiere

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

So, much like the original miniseries, I gave Lobstermen a shot. Allow me to sum things up for you by comparing it to Deadliest Catch:

The boats are smaller.
The hauls are smaller.
The pots are smaller.
The crews are smaller.
The pay outs are smaller.
The risks are smaller.
The work load is smaller.
The weather is smaller.

But the show is shot and edited IDENTICALLY to DC, which makes it all seem incredibly ridiculous.

The thing that gets me about Lobstermen and the swordfish show as well is the generic narrator, that if you've watched Discovery in the last decade, you've already heard.

I'm not expecting them to hire Mike Rowe for every nautical show they produce, but a little variety might help make them stand out.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Looks like a pretty mediocre episode of mythbusters tonight.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Gazaar posted:

Looks like a pretty mediocre episode of mythbusters tonight.
At least you actually get your new episodes scheduled. Discovery Canada has no loving idea when to air the new episodes, they just throw 'em out whenever.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

nmfree posted:

That one group's name they passed on the road was pretty clever:

Severe
Hail
Intercept
Team

As annoying as Reed and Sean are, I envy the hell out of them and admire their passion. I'm lucky to see a thunderstorm or two per year up in the PNW.

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.
I would totally buy a golf ball car.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Ahahahahahahaah Grant only drank 6 beers.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Philip J Fry posted:

That one group's name they passed on the road was pretty clever:

Severe
Hail
Intercept
Team
I completely missed that when I watched. :lol: Also, that was the car that Reed hung halfway out of his car and gave the ol' double barrel, wasn't it? I thought that was pretty funny.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Trophy Boner posted:

Ahahahahahahaah Grant only drank 6 beers.

Yeah, the disparity between Grant and Tory was crazy. When Grant woke up on the second day and said he wasn't hungover, I expected to hear him say he had thrown up in the middle of the night.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

nmfree posted:

I completely missed that when I watched. :lol: Also, that was the car that Reed hung halfway out of his car and gave the ol' double barrel, wasn't it? I thought that was pretty funny.

Yeah, that was the it -- the one in front of them that was going slow. It was written across their tailgate but not so much as to look obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Mike McC posted:

I liked Scottie but I gotta disagree about Tory, he seems fairly far away from geeky stuff. I remember when Grant tried to do the Star Wars stuff in the duct tape episode and Tory seemed like he wanted to punch Grant for making him do that geeky crap on camera. Tory's much more of a child in an adult's body and just more experimental and fun loving than the rest. He's very much the Adam to Kari and Grant's Jamie because he's much more likely to look at something and jump in head first with funny results.

Have to agree on explosions, though. At this point, there's no way stuff outside of major explosions would make me jump if I were them. I'm pretty sure they're told to act shocked all the time which is weird considering the producers tend to not care about Adam or Jamie's reaction which is typically just a "dude!" from Adam and an indistinguishable grunt or slight chuckle from Jamie.

• Locked thread