Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Bellmaker posted:

I need an easy to follow LP that'll help put me down (drat insomnia). Guava Moment's/Jade Star's uncut DefCon marathons were perfect for this with its surreal soundtrack, and catching up on the backstabbing I missed while unconscious was pretty easy with their edited content...

Raocow's stream-of-consciousness stuff sometimes works, it seems to shut off my brain (plus missing part of a Mario romhack is no big deal). The problem there is I always wake up right after the video's over (and Youtube videos are pretty drat short).

Try watching Proteus' Crayon Physics videos in the Devolution thread. Super-mellow. If that doesn't work, Quake 2 can put you to sleep for different reasons.

Actually a lot of the LPs in that thread are really chill. Just make sure you don't fall asleep with your laptop on your lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Let's Play Risk! The Classic Game of Australia Domination.

I understand the rule about not pimping threads you're in, but nearly everybody reading it is contributing, so who's left to recommend it? Anyway my parts are far from the good stuff. This is:

Obama 2012 posted:

Decider Roomforthetuna braced himself to resist, but deep inside he knew that, secretly, he wanted this battle more than anybody.

As Ironicus advanced, The Decider made a show of trying to retreat. General Ironicus was not fooled, he knew how the enemy general really felt. The look in his eyes told him everything.

He advanced his force swiftly, pinning the enemy commander down. Roomforthetuna resisted at first, but then, his eyes catching sight of Ironicus’ firm and stiffening formation, slowly felt his defense give way. Behind his facade, he yearned for the mighty foreign general to break through his pickets and penetrate his lines, deeply.

Sensing his opponent’s weakness, Ironicus moved swiftly to expose his flanks. Then, having repositioned for maximum effect, he ordered a swift and unexpected thrust with his massive, rigid column, straight into Roomforthetuna’s rear.

The Clambodian commander reeled at the force of the first blow, but could not bring himself to resist. Again and again Ironicus thrust his force forward, each time penetrating deeper, and deeper into his helpless quarry’s shuddering lines, until he felt the last of his main defenses fall away, leaving The Decider helpless before his conqueror.

Perhaps tomorrow he would be sorry, ashamed of himself for having let his adversary so coarsely advance on his field of battle. But for now, in the fiery heat of battle, Roomforthetuna could only think of one thing; this was the best engagement he’d had in his entire life.

On and on it went, the two nations’ armies parting, then pulling each other forcibly again into another passionate bout of feverish warmaking.

Finally, in one last mighty climax, Decider Roomforthetuna succumbed completely to the General’s burning lust for victory, and collapsed in exhaustion at the feet of his new master.

The presentation and participation in a simple board game are both remarkable but everyone needs to be reading this thread just for those updates.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

General Ironicus posted:

I understand the rule about not pimping threads you're in, but nearly everybody reading it is contributing, so who's left to recommend it?

That rule was never really in place for megathreads or huge collaborative threads, so I have no problems with things like that.

It was actually in place so you couldn't recommend Metal Gear Solid 3. A year and a half before the thread went up. I'm LP Nostradomus. :v:

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Proteus4994 posted:

That rule was never really in place for megathreads or huge collaborative threads, so I have no problems with things like that.

It was actually in place so you couldn't recommend Metal Gear Solid 3. A year and a half before the thread went up. I'm LP Nostradomus. :v:

Can I at least rescind my warning to people who thought we'd always be as prompt as the first few updates?
I don't think that's an issue anymore.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I've seen a couple of LPs for multiplayer games, but have there been any for MMOs? Is that generally just a bad idea? I'm curious if anyone has tried to chronicle the journey from level 1 noob to pimped-out endgame poopsocking lord, compiled a greatest hits of live recorded griefing, or anything in between.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

McSpanky posted:

I've seen a couple of LPs for multiplayer games, but have there been any for MMOs? Is that generally just a bad idea? I'm curious if anyone has tried to chronicle the journey from level 1 noob to pimped-out endgame poopsocking lord, compiled a greatest hits of live recorded griefing, or anything in between.
I saw one for City of Villians a while back. It died off shortly after reaching the "get job, kill lots of dudes. Get job, kill lots of dudes" phase.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I saw one for City of Villians a while back. It died off shortly after reaching the "get job, kill lots of dudes. Get job, kill lots of dudes" phase.

I was thinking about that, a journey-type LP would probably involve some significant downtime here and there so you aren't stuck in a grinding phase (and the CoH/V games are relatively low on grinding, so it's probably even worse with a lot of other games). They seem perfect for CYOA though.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

McSpanky posted:

I was thinking about that, a journey-type LP would probably involve some significant downtime here and there so you aren't stuck in a grinding phase (and the CoH/V games are relatively low on grinding, so it's probably even worse with a lot of other games). They seem perfect for CYOA though.

I think the best idea would be to run it as a full team, or close to full team. Especially for something like CoX, run it as a super group/villain group with the levelling pact stuff. Make it about their glorious adventures to the top. Plus large groups in MMOs tend to get lots of XP fast, skipping a lot more of the boring "So we killed Y amount of X for Z hours."

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
Can anyone recommend a good SSLP of an RTS game that's in the form of the starcraft or CnC series? It doesn't have to be those games in particular, but not RTS games like AW or those hexagon thingies. I just want to see how other people approached those types of games in an SSLP format to see where I can get a "First step" so to speak in writing an RTS SSLP of my own.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How can you resist reading an LP about The best game ever made, this is a game that is interesting and fun in and of itself but Mystic Mongol is still doing a great job explaining game mechanics and keeping the audience involved without letting us gently caress poo poo up too much. Its a game about vikings and loving poo poo up. Its great.

An LP that has already been mentioned several times, but James315 reallyt does an excellent job beating the poo poo out of people. A multiplayer FPS LP? Is that even possible? Yes it is! And it is easily the best LP on the forums right now.

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick

Affi posted:

An LP that has already been mentioned several times, but James315 reallyt does an excellent job beating the poo poo out of people. A multiplayer FPS LP? Is that even possible? Yes it is! And it is easily the best LP on the forums right now.

Agree, 315 is a god among mortals.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

A Kirby Canvas Curse subtitled LP was recommended a bit back and I enjoyed it quite highly, but he appears to have stopped updating. Does anyone have any other recommendations similar in style to that one? It doesn't have to be subtitled, but something very relaxed and soothing.

I have been enjoying the hell out of 315's 1942 LP as well. I hope to goodness when he's done he has another game waiting!

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

dantheman650 posted:

A Kirby Canvas Curse subtitled LP was recommended a bit back and I enjoyed it quite highly, but he appears to have stopped updating. Does anyone have any other recommendations similar in style to that one? It doesn't have to be subtitled, but something very relaxed and soothing.

Here's the thread you mentioned, by Lyrax. In the thread he mentioned he has a monthly bandwidth cap, so he's probably dangerously close to breaking it or something.

Which is a shame, because I liked that LP too :(

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand is shaping up to be hilarious. I've never laughed so hard over a LP.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Helical Nightmares posted:

The 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand is shaping up to be hilarious. I've never laughed so hard over a LP.

Agreeing with this. If you need more convincing, it's fair to say that this is the most unintentionally hilarious game I've seen in a long time; it's quick-moving, fun to watch in a "so bad it's good" kind of way, and is a perfect candidate for Chip and Ironicus' quality insults.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Affi posted:

How can you resist reading an LP about The best game ever made, this is a game that is interesting and fun in and of itself but Mystic Mongol is still doing a great job explaining game mechanics and keeping the audience involved without letting us gently caress poo poo up too much. Its a game about vikings and loving poo poo up. Its great.

When I got home today, there were 200+ posts in this thread and it was a joy. Watch as heroic tales are told and retold! See a man lose his mind, whisper darkly about crops in the fields, and want to start fires! Juggle the balls of a god!

Fantastic thread about a great game that really needs to be re-released.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
I think it may have been mentioned a few pages back, but the view numbers on the videos are still pretty low, so I'm giving a shout out to Hobo by Design's Tenchu 3 LP He's got a great low-key narration style, so while an odd choice of game, it fits dantheman650's request for a soothing lp. Hobo's very informative and pretty witty in a droll sort of way. All in all an awesome and pro lp.

RedChord14
Jan 2, 2009
We need more taxidermistpasta. I miss that bastard

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

Indeed, that game definitely belongs in the "so bad it's good" category, and the LPers taking things to their (il)logical conclusions just makes it better.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

There's a Let's Play for Final Fantasy X going on right now that is just about the best thing ever. The LPers are Kuvo, topiKal and bandunk.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201426

It started with three guys not knowing how to play the game, and now that they're just past the halfway point they're really getting a handle on it. The commentary is really pretty funny even when they're not trying.
There's a shitload of amazing fanart and even a handful of fansongs in the thread that blow my mind with awesomeness. The LP is updated pretty regularly and they try really hard to follow thread suggestions.

Oh and when it gets boring they read gay slash fiction. Everybody should watch this LP.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

HiFiHero posted:

I think it may have been mentioned a few pages back, but the view numbers on the videos are still pretty low, so I'm giving a shout out to Hobo by Design's Tenchu 3 LP He's got a great low-key narration style, so while an odd choice of game, it fits dantheman650's request for a soothing lp. Hobo's very informative and pretty witty in a droll sort of way. All in all an awesome and pro lp.

Going to 2nd this (3rd? if you count the first mention I suppose) Hobo by Design's style grows on you to a quite unhealthy level. Fun, very informative and it's just one of those games you could never be bothered completing (or I couldn't anyway, gently caress stealth games) so watching someone really good at it is awesome.

Trent-Easton
Nov 24, 2005

How fascinating it is to watch the machinations of one´s own mind play themselves out.

RedChord14 posted:

We need more taxidermistpasta. I miss that bastard

He and Lurkdawg are the two LPers who made me laugh the most. Too bad we don't see them much anymore..

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
If it's a chilled out LP you're after, you should check out Unintathere's Repton thread. He does really good job of showing off the Repton games by playing them pretty much flawlessly, but without the puzzles getting confusing at any time.

Between that and the Carmen Sandiego thread I've been on a pretty big nostalgia kick in LP lately.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Where are all the screenshot LPs? I can't use up too much bandwidth in the mornings, so videos are out of the question, but when I need a fix, I'm left with scrambling over the master list for screenshot LPs that are finished or ongoing (and even then, who can tell how long it's been going or how frequently it updates before opening the thread?) And the front page here, it appears I can watch videos and not much else.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Chwoka posted:

Where are all the screenshot LPs? I can't use up too much bandwidth in the mornings, so videos are out of the question, but when I need a fix, I'm left with scrambling over the master list for screenshot LPs that are finished or ongoing (and even then, who can tell how long it's been going or how frequently it updates before opening the thread?) And the front page here, it appears I can watch videos and not much else.

Bobbin Threadbare's Shadows Over Riva thread is an excellent screenshot LP of a high-fantasy adventure game done in the style of a tabletop RPG campaign. He writes the participating players so well, I'm pretty sure they're based on real people. Anyone who has experience playing D&D is going to recognize these type of players instantly. The battle sequences are in youtube-hosted video, are short, and not watching them if you can't doesn't hinder enjoyment of the LP one bit.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
Violen has been doing a Megaman X6 Minimalist, no damage-run in the Emasculation Station. On top of the actual play being impressive as all hell the commentary that goes along with it is something else.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Dectilon posted:

Violen has been doing a Megaman X6 Minimalist, no damage-run in the Emasculation Station. On top of the actual play being impressive as all hell the commentary that goes along with it is something else.

I'd actually like to expand on that and say every single content-post Violen has made in that thread has been worth watching. Dude's building a bridge between LPs and speedruns, with one metaphorical arm tied behind his metaphorical back. His intentional in-game crippling is like the video game equivalent of self-harm, and his videos are an mindblowing combination of repitition and skill.

He even has commentary free videos for the people* who hate his voice.

*jerks :colbert:

Malorie
Jun 2, 2008

Oh god... I think there's someone... Behind me!
I absolutely have to recommend ILLBLEED. It's one of those 'so bad it's awesome' games, where you honestly can't tell at times whether the game is attempting to be scary or a parody of itself. Hilarious voice acting, mismatched graphical styles, it's got it all.

What makes this LP special though is that it shows off every trap triggered, which really is what makes the game so interesting and fun. Playing the game normally, you miss out on seeing half the traps because you're too busy trying to avoid them, so an LP showcasing them all is just what I've been wanting to see!

Even with the LP aside, the game itself really is worth experiencing. Teenagers going around a scary horror-themed theme park full of sudden and bizarre short stories that don't seem to fit the overall plot? It's like the Japanese videogame equivalent of Goosebumps.

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007

Malorie posted:

I absolutely have to recommend ILLBLEED. It's one of those 'so bad it's awesome' games, where you honestly can't tell at times whether the game is attempting to be scary or a parody of itself. Hilarious voice acting, mismatched graphical styles, it's got it all.

What makes this LP special though is that it shows off every trap triggered, which really is what makes the game so interesting and fun. Playing the game normally, you miss out on seeing half the traps because you're too busy trying to avoid them, so an LP showcasing them all is just what I've been wanting to see!

Even with the LP aside, the game itself really is worth experiencing. Teenagers going around a scary horror-themed theme park full of sudden and bizarre short stories that don't seem to fit the overall plot? It's like the Japanese videogame equivalent of Goosebumps.

Seconding this. The fact that he's playing it wrong by triggering the traps is far more entertaining than a perfect run would have been. He's got a good voice for it too, it's worth watching.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Can someone recommend me a humor-oriented screenshot LP? I haven't been following this forum for a year or two, and it looks like most LPs nowadays are either video (often featuring several annoying guys yelling over one another) or screenshot LPs with piles of boring information presented by boring people (or worse yet, goon roleplaying with reader participation). Is there something genuinely funny among all this, in the vein of LPs by The Dark Id or Leovinus (I'm following his current Final Fantasy IX one) or ChuckMaster's Moment of Silence LP? Or, not necessarily funny, but just something interesting and not tedious, like Cyberdud's LP of Robinson's Requiem.

May be a vague request, but most of the current LPs that I see are not my kind of thing at all, so hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about and can recommend something.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Breetai's LP of Fallout2 on very low INT is the probably funniest screenshot LP I've read.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Aardark posted:

Is there something genuinely funny among all this

These four LPs are probably the best SSLPs done in this forum in my opinion. It takes a little while to get going, but stick with it.

(and pretty much anyone who has read any of my posts in the past two years knows what these LPs are without even clicking on them, that's how often I recommend these. For what it's worth there's exactly five SSLPs I've read more than once. These four and Scorchy's KOTOR2 LP. The only reason I didn't recommend KOTOR2 is because it's not really funny so much as just really really informative and interesting, but since you said that also qualifies, you can check that one out too. It's also in the archive. He essentially takes a half-finished game, breaks the poo poo out of it, and rebuilds it with cut content and various trivia to make a really tremendous LP.)

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 4, 2009

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Proteus4994 posted:

These four LPs are probably the best SSLPs done in this forum in my opinion. It takes a little while to get going, but stick with it.

(and pretty much anyone who has read any of my posts in the past two years knows what these LPs are without even clicking on them, that's how often I recommend these. For what it's worth there's exactly five SSLPs I've read more than once. These four and Scorchy's KOTOR2 LP. The only reason I didn't recommend KOTOR2 is because it's not really funny so much as just really really informative and interesting, but since you said that also qualifies, you can check that one out too. It's also in the archive. He essentially takes a half-finished game, breaks the poo poo out of it, and rebuilds it with cut content and various trivia to make a really tremendous LP.)

I have to second the recommendation of those Ultima LPs, they really are great.

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
The Dark Id's Resident Evil 4 Let's play was one of the funniest things I'd ever read at the time. I'm going back now to make sure it's just as good as it was then. :3:

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
All right, thanks guys, I'll check out the Ultima threads for now.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Malorie posted:

Thirding. I was half-heartedly interested in seeking out a Dreamcast and copy of this game, just to have it around to show to people. This works just about as well.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I really love narrative LP's and the NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer is really something. Love epic high fantasy or the previous Neverwinter Nights 2 LP? Read the LP, thank me later.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Panzer Skank posted:

There's a Let's Play for Final Fantasy X going on right now that is just about the best thing ever. The LPers are Kuvo, topiKal and bandunk.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201426

It started with three guys not knowing how to play the game, and now that they're just past the halfway point they're really getting a handle on it. The commentary is really pretty funny even when they're not trying.
There's a shitload of amazing fanart and even a handful of fansongs in the thread that blow my mind with awesomeness. The LP is updated pretty regularly and they try really hard to follow thread suggestions.

Oh and when it gets boring they read gay slash fiction. Everybody should watch this LP.

I'm seconding this LP. It's probably the first RPG LP that I've been able to watch. I think they're drunk half the time so that makes it all the more funny. I just barely signed up as a goon just so I could see their thread again, that's how good they are.

I also would like a recommendation of a good Castlevania LP. It doesn't matter what Castlevania game it's an LP of, I just would like a good one.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 7, 2009

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
I expressed dislike for video LPs earlier, but I'm watching the Final Fantasy X one now, and I gotta say those guys are quite fun to listen to, especially considering how incoherent and annoying videos with multiple people often are. They have some good understated comedy without trying too hard. I endorse it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Contra Calculus posted:

I also would like a recommendation of a good Castlevania LP. It doesn't matter what Castlevania game it's an LP of, I just would like a good one.

The only good Castlevania LP ever made

• Locked thread