Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
http://tldp.org/guides.html

Have a quick look at Larry Greenfield's Linux Users Guide in the 'older but still pertinent' section at the bottom to see if you're familiar with the basics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tablebreaker
Dec 4, 2002

I let Andrew earn his RedWings
here's a couple quick ones:

On irssi, is there a plugin that gives you a user list on the side? the only channel i need it for is bitlbee.

On rtorrent/wtorrent front end, how do I seed a folder from a folder other than my "done" folder? I tried making a symlink in the download folder, but no dice.

Thanks for the help, I feel as though I'm learning a lot! I've spent a totally of about 7 months running, and I've even been running it on my Macbook more than Snow Leopard, and I've been a macfag since OS9.

Thanks!

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

tablebreaker posted:

On irssi, is there a plugin that gives you a user list on the side? the only channel i need it for is bitlbee.
available in an add-on it seems: http://scripts.irssi.org/scripts/nicklist.pl

majesticonion
Apr 9, 2004
bumping this once more:

Running ubuntu, want to get iphone online. I have a dsl connection with no router. What is the easiest way to create an ad-hoc wifi connection off my laptop?

tablebreaker
Dec 4, 2002

covener posted:

available in an add-on it seems: http://scripts.irssi.org/scripts/nicklist.pl

thanks, I searched every term I could think of besides nick!

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

majesticonion posted:

bumping this once more:

Running ubuntu, want to get iphone online. I have a dsl connection with no router. What is the easiest way to create an ad-hoc wifi connection off my laptop?
Depending on the chipset, you might not even need to use ad-hoc.

With the right drivers, you could just use iwconfig device mode Master essid <ssid> channel <channel> and just run a dhcp server on the laptop to listen on that device. Then use iptables to setup forwarding and it should work great.

I guess you could do the same to get it to work with ad-hoc by just switching the mode, but I don't know.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: Double Post

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 13, 2017

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
I've got a peculiar issue:

Ive got a box running samba and iptables. For some reason the samba connection will drop and become unusable until I restart iptables. A restart of samba will not fix the issue.

The error I get in windows is resource can not be found.

I'm not seeing anything useful in the logs. Here is my iptables setup for this particular port, very basic :

quote:

# netbios-ssn
$IPT -A tcp_inbound -p TCP -s 192.168.1.0/24 --destination-port 139 -j ACCEPT

# microsoft-ds
$IPT -A tcp_inbound -p TCP -s 192.168.1.0/24 --destination-port 445 -j ACCEPT

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

tablebreaker posted:

On rtorrent/wtorrent front end, how do I seed a folder from a folder other than my "done" folder? I tried making a symlink in the download folder, but no dice.

I just use screen w/ rtorrent, but to move the directory, first close the torrent ctrl+k, then ctrl+o to change the destination directory, and ctrl+r to rehash it. When it shows 100% done, you can just ctrl+s to start it back up again.
It's not the best implementation, because you'll still need to go back and delete the file it started before you changed, but then you can point it to the right directory at least and seed.

deong fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 10, 2009

tablebreaker
Dec 4, 2002

deong posted:

I just use screen w/ rtorrent, but to move the directory, first close the torrent ctrl+k, then ctrl+o to change the destination directory, and ctrl+r to rehash it. When it shows 100% done, you can just ctrl+s to start it back up again.
It's not the best implementation, because you'll still need to go back and delete the file it started before you changed, but then you can point it to the right directory at least and seed.

awesome, thanks so much!

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Running Ubuntu and using Giganews - my internet decides to drop sporadically. Seems to happen more often if I'm also browsing, but happens enough just with giga.

I've tried...
ifconfig /down
ifconfig /up
&
dhclient eth0

With no success. Not entirely sure exactly what is breaking, but the most obvious symptoms are the Newsgroup threads all timeout, and then Firefox just eternally sits on "Looking up whatever.com..."

Rebooting has never failed to fix it, though - so I don't believe it's a problem with my connection. Any other things I can try?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Tell me if I'm doing something wrong with this live usb stick of fedora 11 I have.

I have a 2GB stick with a 700meg iso of the fedora live cd on it, created with the live usb creator tool. My intention is to update the software on it, so that when I use that usb stick to install fedora on a pc, it'll already be pretty up to date, as right now it asks for about 400meg of updates after starting.

So I just run 'yum update' on the thing, and about halfway through installing the various updates the whole thing crashes and burns, eventually leaving the stick unbootable and I have to reformat it.

Is there something weird happening here or were these live usb sticks just not meant to be used in that way to begin with? When I create the image I set it so the rest of the free space on the stick is used as persistent storage.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ã…Â, cħ gøài- <Ecl8

NZAmoeba posted:

Live USB updating
In my experience, the kind of Live USB usb-creator makes is just like a Live CD plus some storage. Everything you or the system needs to save goes in that storage, including the cache of updated packages, which can fill up a flash drive pretty fast if you're not careful, which can easily make the system unbootable since there are temporary files needed to be created on boot. The only solution I've found is not to upgrade and just save the bare necessities on that system (i.e. your own documents, plus think beforehand about things like growing browser and thumbnail cache dirs).

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

jegHegy posted:

In my experience, the kind of Live USB usb-creator makes is just like a Live CD plus some storage. Everything you or the system needs to save goes in that storage, including the cache of updated packages, which can fill up a flash drive pretty fast if you're not careful, which can easily make the system unbootable since there are temporary files needed to be created on boot. The only solution I've found is not to upgrade and just save the bare necessities on that system (i.e. your own documents, plus think beforehand about things like growing browser and thumbnail cache dirs).

Would I be better off getting a 4gig stick? Or just not bothering updating it and using it just when I need a temporary linux environment?

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ã…Â, cħ gøài- <Ecl8

NZAmoeba posted:

Would I be better off getting a 4gig stick? Or just not bothering updating it and using it just when I need a temporary linux environment?
I didn't really look into it, but installing a fully functional (non-live) system to an external USB device is non-trivial right now, so I would only make a live USB for emergencies. Google around though, there might be an easy solution I'm not aware of.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Hi,

I recently returned to the academic world after 5 years out and am required to get back into Linux for some of the modelling software that we're running. I'm certainly not a computer science major and I have almost zero programming skill. Its been long enough since I used Linux that I would like to dual-boot with my windows OS just to make sure I can still use my computer without banging my head against the wall when I need it.

What sort of distribution should I try? I was reading the last few pages and people have been suggesting Slackware and Arch for people interested in learning. I'm not sure how much knowledge of the guts of the OS architecture I would need for them though. I'd like to just get the ball rolling and am in search of some guidance.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

jegHegy posted:

I didn't really look into it, but installing a fully functional (non-live) system to an external USB device is non-trivial right now, so I would only make a live USB for emergencies. Google around though, there might be an easy solution I'm not aware of.

Well pendrivelinux.com only gives one method for Fedora, which is the one I'm doing. I was hoping to use this as a way to quickly install linux on a PC whenever we refresh them until we finally get our network boot system sorted out but I guess I'll have to make do.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

truavatar posted:

Hi,

I recently returned to the academic world after 5 years out and am required to get back into Linux for some of the modelling software that we're running. I'm certainly not a computer science major and I have almost zero programming skill. Its been long enough since I used Linux that I would like to dual-boot with my windows OS just to make sure I can still use my computer without banging my head against the wall when I need it.

What sort of distribution should I try? I was reading the last few pages and people have been suggesting Slackware and Arch for people interested in learning. I'm not sure how much knowledge of the guts of the OS architecture I would need for them though. I'd like to just get the ball rolling and am in search of some guidance.

Ubuntu or Fedora, whichever your modeling software recommends.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

NZAmoeba posted:

Tell me if I'm doing something wrong with this live usb stick of fedora 11 I have.

I have a 2GB stick with a 700meg iso of the fedora live cd on it, created with the live usb creator tool. My intention is to update the software on it, so that when I use that usb stick to install fedora on a pc, it'll already be pretty up to date, as right now it asks for about 400meg of updates after starting.

So I just run 'yum update' on the thing, and about halfway through installing the various updates the whole thing crashes and burns, eventually leaving the stick unbootable and I have to reformat it.

Is there something weird happening here or were these live usb sticks just not meant to be used in that way to begin with? When I create the image I set it so the rest of the free space on the stick is used as persistent storage.
Make the LiveUSB install with https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/ and then set persistent storage to the rest of the disk space (1.2 or 1.3 GB). I believe the system mounts does a unionfs mount of the cramfs image from the ISO as read only and the persistent storage as read/write. That should work to the best of my knowledge.

The reason your thing is crashing and burning is because the RPM downloads are filling up the disk (ramdisk or otherwise) so if doesn't have the free resources to write the updates. Try updating a small number of packages at a time, piecemeal. Run "yum update xorg\*" first, that should be a big one.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 17, 2009

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

waffle iron posted:

Make the LiveUSB install with https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/ and then set persistent storage to the rest of the disk space (1.2 or 1.3 GB). I believe the system mounts does a unionfs mount of the cramfs image from the ISO as read only and the persistent storage as read/write. That should work to the best of my knowledge.

The reason your thing is crashing and burning is because the RPM downloads are filling up the disk (ramdisk or otherwise) so if doesn't have the free resources to write the updates. Try updating a small number of packages at a time, piecemeal. Run "yum update xorg\*" first, that should be a big one.

The first paragraph is what I was already doing, I'll try that second paragraph out though come monday.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

angrytech fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 17, 2013

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
I have created a script on OS X 10.6 that takes a screenshot, then uploads it to a specified location, and finally deletes the file off of my computer. As of right now, I just have it use the same name overtime which of course overwrites the previous screenshot. Is there a terminal command or a simple way to create a randomized filename for my screenshots? Bonus points if it can check to verify the name isn’t already in use and if so generates another one. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Crush posted:

I have created a script on OS X 10.6 that takes a screenshot, then uploads it to a specified location, and finally deletes the file off of my computer. As of right now, I just have it use the same name overtime which of course overwrites the previous screenshot. Is there a terminal command or a simple way to create a randomized filename for my screenshots? Bonus points if it can check to verify the name isn’t already in use and if so generates another one. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

What I used to do is just name it with the time using the date command. Stick it in a variable and then use it for the filename.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

angrytech posted:

I work IT at a small university in Minnesota that uses Active Directory for everything. I'm jealous as hell and would like to replicate all the functionality on my personal domain.
Specifically I'd like to be able to add a system to a domain, log into a computer using a domain account, etc.
Is there a unix equivalent to AD? Or do I have to set up something like ldap, kerberos, and BIND independently? (just a guess as to what programs I'd need)

Edit: What specifically would you recommend? Is Samba4 worth it? Is LDAP+Kerberos a total pain?
LDAP and Kerberos is very easy, at least for basic login stuff, once you understand how each works, but there is an open-source version of Likewise that you might want to be looking at.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

JHVH-1 posted:

What I used to do is just name it with the time using the date command. Stick it in a variable and then use it for the filename.

Why the hell didn’t I think of this? Thank you!

Hmm, I seem to be having trouble doing this. Any help would be appreciated!

Never mind, got it!

Crush fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 20, 2009

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I'm having some trouble getting my wireless adapter to work on Opensuse. So far I've managed to get the linux driver installed and working. I can now authenticate with the router, but not get an IP address from it.

I asked on the Opensuse forums, but they're pretentious `rtfm n00b' dickheads and would only tell me the following:

1) It's a problem with my IP/DNS/routing setup - the wireless is working fine.

2) The response to this attempt to ping the router contains an important clue:

code:
mylogin@myhost:~> ping -c5 192.168.1.1
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.1.6: icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.6 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.6 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.6 icmp_seq=4 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.6 icmp_seq=5 Destination Host Unreachable
3) I should "inform myself about the meaning of subnets and network masks."

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Is DHCP running correctly on your machine? Look in /var/state/dhcp/ for a lease log. Maybe it's easiest to set a fixed address and add a few iwconfig lines to rc.local like this - assuming your wireless i/f is eth0:
pre:
iwconfig eth0 essid "$YOUR_ROUTERs_SSID"
iwconfig eth0 mode Managed
iwconfig eth0 ap $YOUR_ROUTERs_MAC
iwconfig eth0 rate auto
iwconfig eth0 key restricted $YOUR_AUTH_KEY
It's clunky, but hey, Linux :)

Btw, your networking is already configured, right..? If you're not sure, check /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 or rc.inet1.conf for a gateway (your router's IP address), your own IP address (either DHCP or an address in your router's range), and a netmask (most likely 255.255.255.0).

The directory locations mentioned may be slightly different for Suse, but the filenames are pretty standard.

Underflow fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 20, 2009

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I can connect fine via wired ethernet on eth0, it's just the wireless on wlan0 that gives me trouble (I've currently got the computer sitting next to the router and want to get wireless working so I can move it upstairs). Not sure if networking has to be configured separately for those two.

I'll root (aha) around and try and find those log files - Suse has them in different locations.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
edit: nm

You could try adding those lines I posted in rc.local and see what happens. Check boot log (~# dmesg) for messages - you may see udevd entries about renaming your interfaces, but it's a quick way to see if the wi-fi adapter is connecting.

Underflow fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 20, 2009

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Still trying to figure out Suse's log/config files. I think I've found the equivalent of /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 - there's no Gateway/netmask defined for the wireless wlan0, but they aren't defined for the wired eth0 either (and eth0 works fine), so I'm unsure if that means anything.

Would adding those lines to rc.local make a difference? I'm pretty sure the adapter's already connecting properly.

If I unplug wired ethernet and reboot I get these lines in dmesg, I believe this indicates a connection:
code:
wlan0: authenticate with AP $MY_ROUTER'S_MAC_ADDRESS
wlan0: authenticated
wlan0: associate with AP $MY_ROUTER'S_MAC_ADDRESS
wlan0: RX AssocResp from $MY_ROUTER'S_MAC_ADDRESS (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=2)
wlan0: associated
Running iwconfig as root gets me the following:
code:
lo        no wireless extensions.  

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wmaster0  no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"$MY_ROUTER'S_ESSID"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.427 GHz  Access Point: $MY_ROUTER'S_MAC_ADDRESS

Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=18 dBm
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
          Encryption key:5555-5555-5555-5555-5555-5555-55   Security mode:open
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=76/100  Signal level:-24 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
I'll try poking around rc.local next.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
If you're not going to use the wired connection anyway, try this:

1. ~#chmod 600 /$PATH/$TO/rc.wireless.conf
2. ~#chmod 644 /$PATH/$TO/rc.wireless
3. modify your rc.inet1.conf (older distributions put this directly in rc.inet1) to have:
pre:
# eth0:
IPADDR[0]="192.168.1.$n" #where $n is an IP address in your router's range
NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"
USE_DHCP[0]=""
DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""
and leave all other i/f parameters blank
4. add the already mentioned lines to /$PATH/$TO/rc.local and make sure rc.local is executable (chmod 755)
5. reboot
6. check your router for a wireless service access entry listing your wi-fi NIC's MAC address

If you don't see the MAC address listed, check your router for a MAC filtering mode setting. If it's set to enabled, you'll need to add your wi-fi NIC's MAC address to the allow list or disable filtering (not recommended).

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
What would be a good way to do a script to shut down Oracle, and then reboot the system?

I'm guessing I could just issue a command to reboot. Oracle isn't in the /etc/init.d/ anywhere to load on startup, so I doubt it would run any script to shut it down before reboot.

I haven't done scripting under Linux, but the command would be something like this:

$ /usr/lib/oracle/sucks/10.2.0/db_1/bin/dbstop
$ /usr/lib/oracle/sucks/10.2.0/db_1/bin/lsnrctl start
# shutdown -r now

If I create a script with those commands, will it run all at once? How can I verify that it will execute each command and then wait for it finish before running the next line? Or is this the default behavior?

Now, the first two commands need to be ran as user "oracle", and the last command needs to be ran by root.
How do I specify which command is ran by which user?

sudo -u oracle <commands>
sudo -u root <reboot>
?

How does it handle the password/authentication?

Wait, I think I may have it:

su - oracle -c '/usr/lib/oracle/sucks/10.2.0/db_1/bin/dbstop'
su - oracle -c '/usr/lib/oracle/sucks/10.2.0/db_1/bin/lsnrctl start'
shutdown -r now

But then my first question remains: if I make this a script - does the system wait for the first command to finish before moving down to the next command?

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 20, 2009

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
using && at the end of a command only runs the next one if the one before completes successfully

But maybe you could get this pre-written init script set up for more niceness:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Oracle-7-HOWTO-6.html

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I'm having a weird issue with Firefox on CentOS 5.1/2 (whatever, fully updated). I occasionally get huge delays in resolving DNS names. I can open a terminal and nslookup just fine during these periods, and I don't have similar issues on any other machine (Windows) on the network.

I've found this was an OLD issue with ipv6 reverse lookups in older versions of Firefox, but disabling ipv6 in Firefox (plus restarting) hasn't done anything to fix the issue.

Has anyone heard of this issue or have a quick fix?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

I'm having a weird issue with Firefox on CentOS 5.1/2 (whatever, fully updated). I occasionally get huge delays in resolving DNS names. I can open a terminal and nslookup just fine during these periods, and I don't have similar issues on any other machine (Windows) on the network.

I've found this was an OLD issue with ipv6 reverse lookups in older versions of Firefox, but disabling ipv6 in Firefox (plus restarting) hasn't done anything to fix the issue.

Has anyone heard of this issue or have a quick fix?

Have you disabled ipv6 on the interface?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Firefox uses its own DNS resolver rather than the OS's. Baseless speculation suggests to me that your primary nameserver is working fine, but your secondary isn't. Whatever assumptions you make about what's causing the problem, you should try to test them against the output of strace/ltrace, which will be far more useful than guessing.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Looking for a "safe" video card for running various flavors of linux. This will be going into an older Pentium MMX PCI only system so some newer cards don't work. I'm not sure where the cut off is but I know that Geforce4s don't work. I was thinking more along of the lines of older 8mb to 32mb cards.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Underflow posted:

If you're not going to use the wired connection anyway, try this:

1. ~#chmod 600 /$PATH/$TO/rc.wireless.conf
2. ~#chmod 644 /$PATH/$TO/rc.wireless
3. modify your rc.inet1.conf (older distributions put this directly in rc.inet1) to have:
pre:
# eth0:
IPADDR[0]="192.168.1.$n" #where $n is an IP address in your router's range
NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"
USE_DHCP[0]=""
DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""
and leave all other i/f parameters blank
4. add the already mentioned lines to /$PATH/$TO/rc.local and make sure rc.local is executable (chmod 755)
5. reboot
6. check your router for a wireless service access entry listing your wi-fi NIC's MAC address

If you don't see the MAC address listed, check your router for a MAC filtering mode setting. If it's set to enabled, you'll need to add your wi-fi NIC's MAC address to the allow list or disable filtering (not recommended).

I tried this but didn't have much luck. Partly because it turns out that Suse has split rc.inet into about six different files and doesn't have anything equivalent to rc.local (the nearest thing I could find was rc.boot, and that's executed much earlier). Hence none of my edits seemed to do much.

Then I found out that Ubuntu 9.04 supports my adapter out of the box, so I think I'll just switch distros instead of trying to figure this out anymore. Thanks for the help.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Shaocaholica posted:

Looking for a "safe" video card for running various flavors of linux. This will be going into an older Pentium MMX PCI only system so some newer cards don't work. I'm not sure where the cut off is but I know that Geforce4s don't work. I was thinking more along of the lines of older 8mb to 32mb cards.

GeForce 4 is PCIe and/or AGP.

Just get any rear end-old PCI video card and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

DoctorTristan posted:

I tried this but didn't have much luck. Partly because it turns out that Suse has split rc.inet into about six different files and doesn't have anything equivalent to rc.local (the nearest thing I could find was rc.boot, and that's executed much earlier). Hence none of my edits seemed to do much.

Then I found out that Ubuntu 9.04 supports my adapter out of the box, so I think I'll just switch distros instead of trying to figure this out anymore. Thanks for the help.

No problem. Sorry that didn't work out, and good luck.